Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Batman is a lady?

I hope we find out tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

This show is gonna get soooooooooooo many people mad.

Plugging "Batwoman" in to YouTube brings, in order: the official CW trailer for the show, and then an unending stream of men being intractably mad that this show even exists.

Bring me more male tears, NOW!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 7, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is she related to the Waynes in this continuity?

Yes. Bruce Wayne is her cousin, just like how Clark is Kara's biological cousin on Supergirl.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’m really enjoying how heavy they’re leaning into how Chicago Gotham is. Anything that tracks back to the Dark Knight is fantastic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

I could be wrong but I think most of the Chicago filming was just for the crossover and the pilot so expect it to look less Chicago and more CW Vancoucer as the season goes on, outside of transitional master shots.

That's what I was kind of afraid of, but it's not the end of the world. Supergirl kinda lost some of its personality when it went from LA to Vancouver, for everything it gained in making crossovers more accessible.

But by and large this was fairly decent start and I can't wait to see how the how moves forward from here. I can't believe the fragile male minds of the internet lost their poo poo over what was ultimately one line of dialog in a 45 minute television episode, but eh, men gonna men. Hopefully they get more Not Mad as the show goes on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

After her mother and sister were killed by a shoddily constructed bumper, following the Batman methodology shouldn't she become OSHA Woman?

Nah, if this follows Batlore, she'd swear off driving any vehicle with a bumper ever again, just like Bruce forswore ever using a gun :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I like to imagine that since her dad was just trying to keep her from joining the Crows and putting herself in danger he kept moving the goalposts. Like, "Okay dad, I learned how to escape from handcuffs" "umm... well you have to be able to do it underwater to join us. Under freezing water! You'll quit now, right? Please quit."

Yeah, one of the things the pilot does is make sure you know that Kate's dad is kind of a massive shitbag, and her cutting him off and giving up trying to please him is a very good thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I can't rewatch it right now to pin down, but something about the opening scene had me thinking Kate's stepmom was an ex of her dad and married to the police Commissioner and so I was really trying to sort out the dynamics of the whole thing and why he kissed her at the checkpoint.

I thought she was the mayor because she was giving the "gently caress Batman, turn off the Bat-Signal" speech behind a big "MAYOR!" banner, and then no, the black dude's the mayor, I guess :shrug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

That Mayor really looked like he could have been from the BTAS, but live action.

Because The Dark Knight is the most perfect Batman media property ever created, Nestor Carbonell will always be the Mayor of Gotham City to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-ratings-batwoman-premiere-1203361151/

Looks like Batwoman's gonna be sticking around to make the fragile men of the internet scream and cry a long while longer.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/08/batwoman-supergirl-worlds-finest-the-cw/

Also we're getting that Supergirl crossover teased in Elseworlds right off the bat, it seems.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

That's definitely a strong showing against most of the networks even if nothing can top Football. Hopefully it does well enough into the midseason to get greenlit for S2 (it likely will)

From the look of it alt-right grognards are trying to review bomb it into oblivion on Rotten Tomatoes likes they did with Captain Marvel so they can go "oh, look at all these totally real people who really hate this basic cable super hero show with a burning rational anger for some reason". And if I were a CW exec that would be all the evidence I needed to fast track it for an early renewal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Joker spoilers in regards to the first ep of Batwoman.

I don’t know Kane’s backstory from the comics buts it’s interesting they made her first episode nemesis her sister considering the implications that Batman and Joker are half brothers in the new joker film. Also, did I read that right or was Joker also responsible for Kane’s mom’s death as well?

Yes. The the newspaper clipping in the Batcave says the Joker was responsible for the school bus accident that drove their car off the bridge. Luke said Batman secured their car first before going to save the bus full of kids, only the bumper on the car came off unexpectedly.

The implication seems to be that Beth wound up with the Mad Hatter at some point and became his Alice before spinning off on her own, which is a thing in the comics: the Hatter kidnaps a college student and brainwashes her into becoming Alice and she then becomes his partner in crime/understudy. She was kind of the prototype for Harley Quinn in a lot of ways.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

gently caress man. In Elseworlds Wayne tower was 230 N. Michigan Ave. and NOW it's the Board of Trade? It's like they think we're morons or something.

To be fair though, the CBOT is the most Batman:TAS building in the world.

It's even got a blimp by it!

Also was the Crowe HQ supposed to be Trump Tower or was that just a bad establishing shot?

Trump Chicago is in a couple of establishing shots (taken after the name was ripped off the side of it :hmbol:), but no, Crows HQ kinda looked like it was the Nuveen building.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Umm... did they just casually confirm that Wonder Woman exists in the Arrowverse?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well I guess people who were saying the show was too rushed can calm down now, because they sure let things marinate this episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Ah, on both.

Also in shape bearded white guys all look the same, I though Alice's boyfriend was also one of the Crows.

He is/was. He was the dude from the pilot who betrayed them, now Kate has him in No Lunch Hallway Prison.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

This reminds me a bit of S1 of Arrow where the MC basically has to borrow resources or stuff from other people to do some of their heroic legwork because they don't have it on their own.

I feel really bad for Mary. She's trying to be a good sister and a good person, but her step-sister just keeps ignoring her. She's gonna end up as the Batwoman team's medic by the end of the season. Sophie can get hosed though and I hope Renee Montoya shows up eventually as a new love interest (because there always is).

I’m in the same boat w/r/t Sophie. Just “wow, you are a lovely person and I really hope you don’t ruin your marriage over this misfire of a relationship with Kate.” I can tell she’s just going to be a process complication. Then again the last character I disliked this intensely upon their introduction was, uh, Iris. And holy poo poo did she prove me wrong, so who knows, in two years time she could be the best character on the show.

We’ll just have to see where it goes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Well, I loves me some Ruby Rose, so I'm here for my first ever Berlantiverse show.

Why is the batcave under Wayne tech and not Wayne manor? This shouldn't bother me, but it bothers me.

I've quite liked it so far, that stupid pebble in my shoe aside.

It’s been BatLore for a while now that Bruce built multiple Bat Caves in key places around Gotham so that he’d have access to his suit and tech at a moment’s notice no matter where he was in town. The main cave is probably still there under Wayne Manor, the one under Wayne Enterprises is just the one that Kate happened to find.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phylodox posted:

God, that surplus Bibleman cowl is still so terrible. Looks like a goddamned pumpkin.

The wig and the proper Batwoman cowl is coming next week, so it’s time is mercifully over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grouchio posted:

How many of the critics on Rotten Tomatoes were bribed to give this good reviews? The scores for this and Joker should be inverse :psyduck:

It’s pulling a 70% fresh average among actual television critics so far and drat strong ratings for a basic cable super hero show on Sunday nights. It’s got 5000+ 1-star reviews from the “audience” because fragile men are incredibly angry that [template: woman doing thing], so they’ve registered a bajillion sockpuppet accounts on RT and have went to town trying to fool the internet into thinking everyone hates this show (actual audiences and critics seem to love this show so far).

It’s basically the same thing they did for Captain Marvel but for TV now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mods please change the thread to Lesbian Ninja Retreat. Thank you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So wait, is that is that it? Is Hush dead?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh no he’s alive. Okay.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’m digging how thirsty Rachel Maddow is for Bat-people of either gender.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I was kind of hoping that when they did the final panning shot of her on the roof of the Wayne building they'd pan around and we'd see Oliver, Barry and Kara on the roof of the lower building just to complete the circle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

OK, so I was finally able to watch the latest Batwoman episode, and here are some of my thoughts:
-How did Tommy know that Batman is Bruce Wayne? And that he had a special gun made that could blow through the Bat armor? I'm guessing that it's Mega-Crossover related somehow.
-I wonder how long Mary can keep leading this double-life if being an Instagram Influencer, and running her secret hospital that helps the downtrodden of Gotham. After she got attacked in the last episode, she started carrying a gun right after.
-Speaking of secret lives, WTF is going on with Catherine and the Alice gang, and what did those cards mean!?
-I'm calling it now, I think we're gonna see Bruce during the Crossover, and that's how Batwoman will play into the mix with everyone else.

Tommy said he paid the Riddler to uncover who Batman was and Nygma said “yeah, it’s Bruce loving Wayne.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Sorry, this is Horny Batman town.

Also something I thought was kind of weird was how much I liked the way the costume looked without the cowl in that one scene near the end. The full Bat-cowl is just one of those things that doesn't translate to real life well.

Eh, horny for Batman is also acceptable. Like I said, this show roped in Rachel Maddow to be the official voice of Horny For Batman/woman.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Show has done well enough that the CW has ordered a back 9 for this season.

Oh nice. I've been enjoying things so far despite it's first year flaws. Glad to see the CW has a lot of confidence in it and that it's doing well ratings wise, so people actually do really like it despite what the userbases of IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes are trying to claim.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Elentor posted:

I'm TV-show starved enough to feel like giving this a go and I'm glad some people are enjoying it but I'm watching this mostly in the hope that it will bloom into something better like, say, LoT did, and if I were to rate this show right now it would really not be high.

And you’re completely right. It’s not great or anything, but it is a perfectly serviceable TV show for what it is now with the potential to be something far better in the future. I’m just bemused by the Internet Rage-o-sphere’s crusade to proclaim it the worst piece of media ever produced in the history of existence because of [woman doing thing].

Like, guys, come on. It’s not worth your effort :nallears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Batwoman? More like Break-expensive-poo poo-because-you-can't-catch-a-Batarang-woman :haw:

E: Thanks Rachel Maddow

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

They did filming in Chicago earlier in the year for some shots and in Vancouver for the rest

extremely. Like I said above, they didn't even look that dangerous unless you were holding it

It still seems pretty Chicago-centric to me. They must have front-loaded the Chicago-shot stuff in the early episodes because there’s a lot of Chicago style things still there that Vancouver just can’t mimic no matter how much you dress it up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Look if you need an explanation imagine drunk Cisco stumbling over his words before shrugging and saying Speedforce

Every Arrowverse show should be able to utilize speedforce.gif to get out of explaining poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So wait, is that Tobin Bell as the dude who kidnapped Beth? Because he really sounds like Tobin Bell and it looks like they de-aged him like they did with Kate’s dad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Selachian posted:

For a moment there I thought they were working up to reveal that Alice was actually the grown-up Mouse with a face skin graft and imitating a female voice.

That would have been a far better twist, but they seem like they're pushing her into irredeemable territory now so maybe it's all kind of moot that she really is Beth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Where did Alice get all these disposable henchmen willing to die for her, anyway?

It's Gotham, there's kind of surplus supply of henchmen willing to follow any given super villain without question. Also the implication in the background seems to be there's a lot of disaffected lower class youths who've basically lost everything to the rich and powerful of Gotham and would follow any charismatic figure who promised them a measure of payback.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I'm digging this show, but like most Batman media, it's struggling to keep up with the times.

Paying lip service to real-world class struggles is nice, and having Kate try to be an ethical billionaire? Okay, I guess. But once large sections of society at large started realizing that street level criminals are the result of systemic issues and not a moral failing, the writing was on the wall that Batman might have to change and the genesis of that sea change was over fifty years ago at this point, helped along every time new voices gain footholds in the culture as the old mentality clings on for dear life and lashes out like mad every decade or so.

I'm actively rooting against every rich person on this show, and the show is like "correct, yes, they're bad," but we're still rockin' that billionaire solving the city's woes by punching the feral poors aesthetic.

From the comics on down, we need a new vision for what Batman is. Grant Morrison tried, but they rebooted the whole universe on him right toward the end.

It's the Dark Knight Rises problem all over again. Oops, we made Bane's motives actually justifiable, quick, turn him into another madman with a bomb, that'll fix everything!

This is why Hush worked really well for the brief time he was on screen--it was Kate kicking the poo poo out of an actual rear end in a top hat billionaire who was putting the lives of people he didn't actually care about at risk so he could settle a dumb personal score with another billionaire and Kate just swings in and is like "gently caress off garbage person!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I think by law if you take over Wayne Tower you control all the Wayne money.

I'm just assuming that it's operating on the same logic that Flash is. STAR Labs hasn't been operational for 6 years now or at least in any profitable manner, and yet Barry and co. never have to worry about money to keep the lights on or upkeep on all their fancy equipment. To quote my main man Todd Howard, "It just works."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Wells/Thawne left Barry a fuckload of cash.

I've stated several times now that Cisco is actually still Flashpoint rich and just quietly keeping the place afloat with his Scrooge McDuck money.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Wait, is he really? Thawne left Barry a video diary confessing to killing his mom and leaving him flashbucks.

Thawne confessing and leaving Barry all his criminal money is the canon explanation, yes. I just like to joke that Cisco is still rich because it makes more sense than anything Thawne did actually legally flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

great big cardboard tube posted:

At this point they should just have all the Kanes, Alice included, die in an explosion and let Mary become Batwoman

Mary would tell the whole world she was Batwoman on Instagram and then get killed three days later by the Penguin.