Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It also kind of undercuts Alice's motivation to destroy her father for abandoning her when she already actually knows the details of how he was given fake evidence that she was already dead, and also found the map showing that he did in fact search for her exhaustively up to that point. Like, what does she wish he had done?

And the really crappy thing is I got the impression from last week that Crow Dad (blanking on his name) was the one that made up the bone fragments thing after weeks of fruitless searching and seeing the effect it was having on Kate, which would be a painful but understandable action on his part and give some meat to Alice's motivations. But nope, evil stepmom (who I guess at the time was just a friend that wanted to snatch him up for her herself? That's hosed up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

It felt like the Dub on the Godzilla Final Wars DVD I had.

I wonder what was changed?

Based on where they were filming I'd guess there was just a bunch of wind making the dialogue hard to hear on the original recording. They seemed to be saying the same words, it was just weirdly flat and slightly out-of-sync

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

This concept is way more interesting than what they're doing currently.

I mean, that concept kind of is what they're doing. The class divide in Gotham (and specifically the Crows' role as enforcer of that divide) has been explicitly cited by both Dodgeson and Alice as being their motivation, and when Alice gave her big speech to her henchman in the second episode that was pretty much the gist of it. It's come up in Kate's civilian storyline as well.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I think one of the fundamental flaws of this show is that Kate really doesn't feel like a badass. Today she stood around and let a car ram into her, then in the fight with the executioner she was overpowered right away. She seems like someone in over her head that has some fun toys that she can use as crutches. Compare it to batman on screen, or Oliver Queen on Arrow.

Yeah, for all of her training she really hasn't shown to be a significantly better fighter than anyone she's come up against, including Alice. She straight-up lost the fight to Big Slow Axe Guy tonight.

On Arrow, Oliver disappeared for five years and came back with scars and mysterious new skills. There was a sense his training had changed him. Kate seems to have learned to hold her breath for a long time, but otherwise appears to be pretty much exactly the same person she was in the military academy flashbacks.

Edit: I wonder if the issue is that Ruby Rose just isn't on the same level as Stephen Amell or Caity Lotz. Even just a salmon ladder or maskless training session would go a long way to showing her as a physical force.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 11, 2019

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Am I crazy or have they completely reversed Alice's plan/motivation? Before the break her whole deal was "You had your chance to save Beth, she's gone now, stop trying to be family, all of you have to burn" and now she's trying to make a family with Mouse and Kate? Don't get me wrong, it's a much better way to go, and if that had been her story from the start I think the character and show would have been stronger for it. The change was just obvious and jarring from her first scene.

I also love the show already taking advantage of the new combined universe by having Kara write Kate's big coming-out article

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Did I miss some scene where they explain how both Evil Dad and Sophie knew exactly where Beth and Luke were going, to the point where they had each pre-established separate perfect sniping positions? It seemed like a random hotel or something.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Bruceski posted:

I'm confused, doesn't Sophie already know Kate is Batwoman? This episode seemed otherwise.

She was sure of it when Batwoman first appeared, but they pulled that trick where Alfred's granddaughter (niece?) put on the suit so "Batwoman" and Kate were both in front of Sophie at the same time. Since then she seems to genuinely believe Kate isn't her.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Depending how long ago it happened I expect Batman would have been pretty focused on solving his friend and mentor's murder, and this fairly shoddy cover-up job wouldn't have held up to his scrutiny. How were the Crows the only ones looking into it?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

But Lucius died the day Luke got into MIT, and presumably Luke has since gone to and graduated from MIT, right?

So many things about the Crows make more sense if Batman has been gone for at least a decade instead of just three years.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

howe_sam posted:

gently caress them up Mary.

Is this the first episode James Bamford has directed? It kinda shows.

Ha, I hadn't noticed he directed it. Now I'm less surprised that it was the best the fight choreography has ever looked.

In fact, this was probably the best episode of the series.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Crows and Team Bat are all convinced she's legitimately still working for the SRR, and if she "went rogue" six months ago that means she's been lying about it from the start.

Plus whoever she's working for wants the journal, and I get the feeling if Bruce wanted it so bad he'd just come back and get it himself. My guess is she's working for the same person who killed all of Alice's goons (I think Mouse called her Safia or something like that?), since she showed up in town at the same time as The Rifle (who was also on orders to retrieve anti-Batman tech).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

So, Doom. I could see that as a crossover event.

I love that story, but I don't know if this particular universe's League is established enough. Plus without Bruce you lose the betrayal angle that really brings the emotional weight.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Well Commissioner Loeb was the guy who had the job before Gordon (in the movies I've seen, anyway), and Gordon was presumably way more Batman-friendly than Loeb. So when Vesper says she hasn't seen a law enforcement-vigilante relationship "this tense" since Batman and Loeb, that probably refers to Batman's early career, and doesn't necessarily mean anything for the current GCPD hierarchy.

I am surprised that they cast a Bruce Wayne already, and if the character every shows up it's going to be weird that our first impressions of him are from a villain's impersonation.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

They'll still need him for scenes when he needs to take off the face mask or do stuff under his Hush identity.

They won't do it for obvious reasons, but they really should also still have him for voice work, since technically only Mouse has the "able to impersonate every voice" ability. Hush should still sound just like Tommy Elliott.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

This is crazy

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1262865914283937793

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Rose was incredibly stilted during the Elseworlds crossover, but I thought she was settling into a nice groove as the season went on. I'm going to guess the departure was a combo of the grind of a twenty two episode season, her health, and maybe she didn't like Vancouver?

I am curious who they get as a replacement.

I was thinking about potential replacements and what traits they would need to have, and I realized that we've gone through a full season of the show and I don't really know who Kate Kane is as a character. With Supergirl or Barry Allen or any number of other CWverse heroes I have a solid idea of what they're about, but Kate is still such a blank slate. While this is an indictment of the writing on the show thus far, it also gives them some freedom in recasting, especially now that they know how the other elements of the show work together. I'm optimistic.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I mean, I love Stephanie Beatriz but she already has a full-time TV gig, and it would be kind of strange to have the character be Latina when her father, cousin, and twin sister are all already on the show and all very white.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So you're saying they should recast everyone?

Edit: With the cast of B99.

Edit 2: Except Mary.

Edit 3: Terry Crews plays Alice.

I'm not saying no

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I like the Jade Tailor idea, she was great on The Magicians. And she pulls off the same kind of "tough and damaged" vibe that I think Ruby was going for most of the time.

Unfortunately most of my fantasy casting is hampered by not knowing which actresses fall into the "member of the LGBTQ community" category that the producers seem committed to.

Edit: Didn't Donald Glover end up voicing Spiderman in some animated show after that whole campaign? Not the same thing obviously, but pretty close.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 22, 2020

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I wonder if the new Batwoman will just inherit Kate's seat at the Table of Justice. And hey, at least Kate showed Luke and Mary where the secret kryptonite was hidden, so that's still on the table.

Killing Kate at least solves the question of how they explain the character leaving without rehashing Bruce's mysterious disappearance angle. I still think just recasting the part is the most logical move, but if they're intent on bringing in a whole new character there are some potentially-interesting ways forward for the rest of the supporting cast.

In fact, if I'm being optimistic, this could provide a unique opportunity to take on the classist critique of Batman, that he's just a rich psycho beating up poor people. Instead of Bruce's rich cousin who comes in and throws money at the situation, the new Batwoman would be someone who actually grew up on the streets of Gotham and is fighting to make it better. Kane takes Kate's death badly and becomes a tragic villain, twisted by grief into a tyrant running a police state on behalf of the rich (Julia and Sophie can either figure into this plot or, ideally, disappear forever). Luke and Mary take it upon themselves to help the new Batwoman, both out of belief in the cause and in honor of Kate's memory. If Alice kills Kate there could be some interesting stuff to explore with the "villain who gave up everything to achieve her grand revenge, and won!" angle. If not, there's always a possible redemption story, or a Hannibal Lecter story, or she just finishes her arc and leaves the show.

Framed that way, the show turns into the story of a hero rising from the streets and fighting to restore hope to the downtrodden by tearing down the fascist police state that has taken over her city. Which I think might resonate a bit in the current climate.

Of course, the writers have not earned any level of trust or benefit of the doubt, so we'll see. But I do think there are ways forward to make an interesting show even if they make the dumb decision here.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Thinking about it, if Kate dies and Bruce still doesn't come back, they'd better have a drat good explanation for where he went.

Hell, now that they've cast him with a readily-available actor, maybe they have Bruce stick around to help train the new Batwoman. If they decide to go with "he killed the Joker and now doesn't feel worthy of the cowl" as the reason for his disappearance, he could move into the mentor role instead. In fact, that solves the problem of how they justify the new person having access to Bruce's office and the Batcave - just have him hire her as his assistant or something as cover.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Now I'm having fun trying to think of the stupidest plausible way for them to bungle introducing the new Batwoman.

A long-lost cousin of the Wayne family, who Luke tracks down after Kate's death because "the suit should stay in the family"?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I mean, the split at least appears to be amicable, so I bet if they really needed to they could get her back on set for a day or two to film whatever scenes needed to be filmed.

I'd be surprised if they already had anything shot for S2 though, the CW shows tend to work on a pretty short turnaround.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Filming has started on the new season but they haven't finalized design on the new costume yet. Although they did confirm that they're ditching the red wig for a more natural style.

Interesting decision. As I understood it the purpose of the red wig was to draw attention and stand out as a marker that "this is not Batman," and a more "natural" style would seem to run counter to that purpose.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

If I'm being charitable I could read it as Ryan not wanting them to know about it so they keep letting her be Batwoman, coupled with her history making her resistant to asking people for help. But yeah if I have a wound that's healing very slowly and seems to be pulsing with weird green light, I'm probably going to at least run it by my new doctor roommate.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I mean if you just substitute the Crows for the GCPD and Sophie for Jim Gordon we're not exactly in uncharted waters for a Batman story.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

You’d think med student and shady medic Mary would be used enough to blood to grab the dang plant.

Also maybe if your magic flowers are so flammable, don’t light think whole garden with tiki torches.

I don't think it was "grossed out by blood" as much as "scared that assassin lady was going to wake up and grab her."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Showrunner confirms that the first half of the season was literally a waste of time. They could have started with Kate's funeral in episode one, they just wanted to gently caress around with some pointless bullshit for a while. I may be paraphrasing.

Not as wild as Ryan's plant secretly being the panacea and just needing some Amazon blood to make it grow.

Oh, and what was with that room full of dangly things that Safiyah took Alice to when she said she was bringing her to Kate? Was that supposed to mean something?

They were copies of the matching necklaces Kate and Beth wore. From what I can tell it was just a way for Safiyah to further troll Alice.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Oh, I had thought it was the same as the thing the bandaged person (who I did not realise was supposed to be Kate until I read that Variety article) was wearing at the end. I guess that was how we were supposed to recognise her?

It was, and yeah, I didn't realize that was supposed to be Kate at the end either until I read that article.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Look I get that they have to make the other characters necessary to the plot somehow but it'd be nice if we had an episode where Batwoman didn't get wrecked and have to be bailed out of danger.

Agreed. There's nothing this show loves more than a fight scene where Batwoman fights well for about 20 seconds, then is about to be defeated until someone makes the save from offscreen.

It's a stark contrast to, say, Arrow, where the show made it clear that Oliver Queen was in the upper tier of physical combatants in the entire world, to the point that when someone was able to beat him it showed that they were a Big Deal to be taken seriously. Both Batwomen have been pretty conclusively shown to be able to handle most (but not all, and even that's not a particularly impressive club) opponents in single combat, but I don't remember a situation where there were more than two enemies and either Kate or Ryan was able to win the fight without outside help.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

"We need Sophie to find out Ryan is Batwoman. How can we do it in a way that shows off how good of an investigator she is?"

"Hmm, how about Ryan borrows her car and accidentally leaves behind a completely unnecessary recording of herself talking about being Batwoman?"

"Perfect!"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

jassa posted:

Yes, but clearly she's not going anywhere in the near future. By bringing her onto Team Bat the writers have new opportunities to do things with her character, similar to what they did with Mary.

And honestly, Commander Kane is a relic of a show with Kate Kane at its center. For Ryan, Sophie is the veteran Crow with whom she has a troubled past, and the Commander is just some guy. Hopefully they use this drug thing to sideline him and move Sophie more solidly into the Commissioner Gordon role.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I think the show from the beginning has wanted to examine the class divide in Gotham as a major focus, so the idea of the Crows being a private police force was important to that. It also allowed for an obvious parallel between Jacob Kane and Bruce Wayne, both wealthy men who suffered loss that drove them to use their resources to "protect" the people of their city in flawed ways, the realization of which was important to Kate deciding to do things her own way with regard to addressing the root causes of Gotham's problems (using her wealth to fight poverty and homelessness instead of just beating up the criminals). A corrupt GCPD is a useful element for Batman's story, where he's trying to root out systemic corruption at every level of Gotham, but for Kate's story a corrupt private security force works better thematically.

Unrelated, but it was kind of weird how they just casually mentioned that the now-dead psychiatrist was the Riddler's daughter. Like, that might have been an interesting element of her character, but she's dead now so unless Edward shows up for revenge it feels like kind of a pointless easter egg.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Genuinely curious to see how much they actually wrap up in the finale. They've definitely put themselves in an interesting spot - the batsuit is destroyed and an indeterminate number of bad people know Ryan's secret identity (and Bruce's, in some cases). I don't know if they can sustain a whole season where the main villain knows who Batwoman is and the exact location of the Batcave without straining credulity, especially since technically Ryan should also be a hunted fugitive for beating up those cops.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

bentacos posted:

Here's my bold and probably completely wrong prediction: Ryan's mom is Selina Kyle who had the child in secret so her father Bruce Wayne never knew about her.

I don't know if the timeline works for this, but it's close enough and that sounds pretty firmly in this show's wheelhouse.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I do like that Beth reverted to full Alice as a direct result of Ryan's stone cold refusal to allow her to change. I also like that Alice happily traded Ryan's secret identity to make her deal in retaliation.

Premiere was good, I'm genuinely hopeful about the season. Still not sure why Sophie didn't just, you know, tackle Mary or take the scalpel away from her so she couldn't continue carving up her mentor to at least buy time while Batwoman drove across town to stage a prison break. That whole plan was needlessly complicated.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

I guess that explains the "Croc" that was in the previews. Not the dumbest source of "powers" but lmao.

If anything that explanation of Croc has me wondering how in the world there was only one before. Seems like anyone he bit or clawed that survived would get infected, if an old tooth was able to do the job.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Is it just me or does the Batwoman suit looks like it is made of cheaper materials this season?

It definitely does. If they bother to do an in-show explanation I bet it would have to do with how they managed to magic up another one-of-a-kind impenetrable suit so quickly after Kate carved the last one up.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Tiggum posted:

The story about Marquis being turned into a psychopath by the joker was amusingly dumb. First with the vague description like as though anyone wouldn't realise who Jada was talking about, but then Ryan still has to ask "the Joker?" just in case anyone in the audience didn't get it. What was the point of that? And then you're thinking that the Joker must have done something utterly terrible to him to turn him into a monster, but no, he just got his brain electrified and that did it. It could as easily have been a random accident. The Joker's presence does nothing for the story, other than remind you that all the classic Batman villains exist in this universe - which is already the central premise of the season's main plot, so we definitely know that.

Didn't the "Joker hijacks a school bus" thing tie into Kate and Beth's car accident? Like that's what ran them off the road, or that's why Batman couldn't save them, or something like that? If so I wonder if that's why they picked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

In a long line of very stupid plot developments on this show, this whole "Marquis takes over Wayne" story is close to the stupidest.

Edit: In fact I think this whole episode was so bad it's really got me doubting that I'll pick the show back up when it comes back.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 25, 2021