Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
RIP frys electronics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh yeah, since Fry’s is dead I can admit I was the one who leaked the Black Friday ads from 2004 to 2007. Home Office kept sending frantic emails asking who was putting out their super secret ads lol

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

Oh yeah, since Fry’s is dead I can admit I was the one who leaked the Black Friday ads from 2004 to 2007. Home Office kept sending frantic emails asking who was putting out their super secret ads lol

Better be sure they're really dead, the website is back up for me 👀

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

allah bless u my dude

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

o7

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Lawl I remember that poo poo during my time.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Charles posted:

Better be sure they're really dead, the website is back up for me 👀

Me too, but they're probably just using the internet to liquidate their remaining stock from a decade ago.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How did they last this long anyway?! I remember visiting one a few months before the pandemic and it was a ghost town even then.

CrunkDog420
Nov 8, 2003

BLACK GOLD!

FCKGW posted:

golden era of black friday imho

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How did they last this long anyway?! I remember visiting one a few months before the pandemic and it was a ghost town even then.

I assume they just own their own land and buildings. You can go a while on very little business if you don’t have to pay rent every month.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i visited the one nearest me about once every two years since 2007 and two days before xmas it was as dead as what i imagine a potemkin village to be there were a group of four teens looking at some gamer chairs in the corner of a big empty space and one visible employee. I guess a gamer chair company gave them stock on consignment. The potemkin village part came from that they technically had, things, like dvds and random toys and components like an lga 775 compatible zalman knockoff fan, and random chinese gas station tws earbuds and keyboards and mice, but just like two or three of each spaced out over a vast wasteland.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

:rip:

Frys.com posted:

After nearly 36 years in business as the one-stop-shop and online resource for high-tech professionals across nine states and 31 stores, Fry’s Electronics, Inc. (“Fry’s” or “Company”), has made the difficult decision to shut down its operations and close its business permanently as a result of changes in the retail industry and the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Company will implement the shut down through an orderly wind down process that it believes will be in the best interests of the Company, its creditors, and other stakeholders.

The Company ceased regular operations and began the wind-down process on February 24, 2021. It is hoped that undertaking the wind-down through this orderly process will reduce costs, avoid additional liabilities, minimize the impact on our customers, vendors, landlords and associates, and maximize the value of the Company’s assets for its creditors and other stakeholders.

The Company is in the process of reaching out to its customers with repairs and consignment vendors to help them understand what this will mean for them and the proposed next steps.

If you have questions, please contact us using the following email addresses:

For customers who have equipment currently being repaired, please email customerservice@frys.com, to arrange for return of your equipment.

For customers with items needing repair under a Performance Service Contract, please call (800) 811-1745.

For consignment vendors needing to pick up their consignment inventory at Fry’s locations, please email omnichannel@frys.com.

Please understand if we are a bit slow to respond given the large volume of questions. The Company appreciates your patience and support through this process.

Sincerely,

Fry’s Electronics

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

lmfao, bunch of people about to show up to work and the doors are going to have been chained shut. Their leftovers from lunch still sitting in the fridge, a phone charger still plugged into the outlet, lost forever. The HR hotline is disconnected, no way to dispute the error on your final paycheck that you pray still comes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dignity Van Houten posted:

paycheck that you pray still comes.

drat frys and the govt have a lot in common

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
From the last bunch of pages, it sounds like Fry's was a lovely company that deserved to die.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gutcruncher posted:

I assume they just own their own land and buildings. You can go a while on very little business if you don’t have to pay rent every month.

That is (was?) the Sears strategy. Own the land and then they can (could?) keep operating for way past when they should die. (I don't know if Sears still has stores running, but I assume they do because they just never die completely...)

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That is (was?) the Sears strategy. Own the land and then they can (could?) keep operating for way past when they should die. (I don't know if Sears still has stores running, but I assume they do because they just never die completely...)

I was driving through Cobleskill NY last weekend and there was a small detached Sears. It was kind of jarring, it appeared to be open.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah they owned all their own stores except for Oxnard which was in a traditional strip mall. They’re also a private company so no board to answer to or finances to report. They sold the land from half their stores in the past year or two and have leasing it back so they’ve been struggling for a long while.

Randy Fry owns a huge ranch in Texas where the store managers would all go to get drunk and shoot guns

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I can hear the Star Trek: TNG music kicking in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5kcBxL7-qI

Is this the old Houston location?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

RIP Frys. Even when I was 15 I thought you were really cool but also kind of bullshit

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

When I worked at Frys one of the LP guys got fired for using the company computer to burn copies of DVDs from the store lol

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I once found in frys an electronic component for sale that had random writing all over it, tape in random places where it was torn, and the clear plastic part stapled, opened, then stapled again multiple times. It had nothing to indicate that it had been returned and they wanted new retail price for it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Bouillon Rube posted:

Is this the old Houston location?

That's Dallas, I can see the Walmart behind it and everything.

IDGAF about Fry's, because I didn't visit one until a couple years ago when it was already clearly dying. Rest in poo poo you creepy empty lovely store

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I actually went to frys only a couple years ago. It was certainly less crowded and had less product than it used to but it was great being able to shop for computer cases in person instead of just trusting that the specific size and dimensions I’m seeing online are how I picture them. Just buying the big parts that I’d rather not worry about shipping is really handy

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
There was a time that you could walk in and there would be a WALL of GPUs ready to buy.

Now you can't even buy one.

lol.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

FBS posted:

That's Dallas, I can see the Walmart behind it and everything.

IDGAF about Fry's, because I didn't visit one until a couple years ago when it was already clearly dying. Rest in poo poo you creepy empty lovely store

Yep Dallas.

I went into the Fry’s on 635 last year and it was already an empty husk of its former self—all the practical stuff you would go there for was gone. They Radioshacked themselves out of existence.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

hakimashou posted:

RIP frys electronics

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007
The Tempe store back in the late 90s still had a lot of decor holdout from the Incredible Universe store it took over in 97, it felt like the toy store from Home Alone 2 when I went as a young goon. Then it slowly became a mainstay source of employment for the University of Advancing Technology students since the campus was down the block. And now its dead.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I once found in frys an electronic component for sale that had random writing all over it, tape in random places where it was torn, and the clear plastic part stapled, opened, then stapled again multiple times. It had nothing to indicate that it had been returned and they wanted new retail price for it.

At the space NASA themed Frys in Houston, I found a dvd or ps2 game in a bin, disc only, wrapped in blue plastic and was 20$.

I flung it into the bin in disgust.

I remember when Jump Superstars on DS was big, and Frys would stock that and the other occasional imports. It's where I also bought Gitarooman Lives and Taito Memories on PsP.

They'd also sometimes have good deals on hard to find rpgs like SMT Digital Devil Saga 2 for cheap.

Last thing I bought there was Angry Boys, an australian show.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, RIP.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Used to work for Fry's back in Georgia ('10-'11 or so) and the only notable thing from that whole experience was spotting Pak Chooie Unf on the screensavers at work.

I guess it did ultimately lead to getting into IT so thanks for that I guess too.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 25, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I got a Best of Anime CD my first trip there and I loved it ever since. Rip you weird-rear end coupon people

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I actually worked at Fry's for a summer in college in the mid 2000s. All I did was walk around and straighten stuff on shelves. The manager of the computer sales or whatever had no idea about anything past 1990 or so and was really big on dot matrix printers. At the end of summer I had had enough and just never went back. A few years later I was looking at used cars with a girlfriend and we ran in to my old boss who was a sales person there. At least he had an office.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I also worked at Fry's for a hot minute back in 2003-04. I think I had one of the only non-commissioned positions in the store (software tele-sales, which was "you work in software except you hold a phone to take calls from the outside"). Since software commission was split amongst the rest of the department instead of being individual, I prefer to think I got the better end of that deal.

Where I worked, you had eccentricities like the video game lead having never used a computer, which was a problem because he was expected to ring up quotes on their lovely Novell Netware-driven internal system. I myself took the job seriously and helped customers find what they were looking for, which was of course at odds with pushing their high-margin crap (which, not being commissioned, I had no motivation to do).

I lasted 10 months before I was pulled out of a teleconference in the middle and suspended for a week without pay for insubordination (read: calling out the management for being asses) before being summarily fired. My state's UI found this to without any merit and I easily collected unemployment, though. I still went there occasionally, though, since all those jerky managers moved on not long after (one to MOR Furniture, hmm hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Navaash posted:

I also worked at Fry's for a hot minute back in 2003-04. I think I had one of the only non-commissioned positions in the store (software tele-sales, which was "you work in software except you hold a phone to take calls from the outside"). Since software commission was split amongst the rest of the department instead of being individual, I prefer to think I got the better end of that deal.

Where I worked, you had eccentricities like the video game lead having never used a computer, which was a problem because he was expected to ring up quotes on their lovely Novell Netware-driven internal system. I myself took the job seriously and helped customers find what they were looking for, which was of course at odds with pushing their high-margin crap (which, not being commissioned, I had no motivation to do).

I lasted 10 months before I was pulled out of a teleconference in the middle and suspended for a week without pay for insubordination (read: calling out the management for being asses) before being summarily fired. My state's UI found this to without any merit and I easily collected unemployment, though. I still went there occasionally, though, since all those jerky managers moved on not long after (one to MOR Furniture, hmm hmm.

In Texas, Austin store specifically, they'd take you to the store manager room with two dudes from LP on either side of the door and pressure you into signing a "voluntary release" form, a form that says you quit so they wouldn't have to pay unemployment. When my time came, I flat out refused to sign, pissing my dept head off, and even the store manager. They gave me a 5 day suspension, and was expected to show up on the 6th day to clock in, when I didn't show that apparently enabled them to fire me without them being liable to pay for unemployment even though I had never voluntarily resigned.