Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Everyone's favorite electric superhero (no, not that one. No, not THAT one, either) is returning for its third season on the CW tonight at 8/7 C. It's also joining the Arrowverse for the crossover event, Crisis on Infinite Earths, later this year. So there's that. Here's hoping it doesn't get hit by the "Season 3 curse" that plagues the rest...

TRAILER HERE!

Last time, some stuff happened. Tobias Whale is in their version of the No-Lunch Supermax, the Markovians are the looming threat, and Jefferson needs to shave. One of these is more important than the other.

Oh, and I didn't misspell 'lightning' in the thread title this time. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

"Odell, why is Issa dead?"
"Markovians."
"And how did the furniture move 5 inches to the left?"
"Markovians."
"And who touched the thermostat?"
"Markovians."

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Yeah, what even was that whole trap thing? Odell has them outnumbered AND surrounded AND de-powered, and it just frantically edits itself into them being unfazed and Odell dying (no confirmation, also he can just get revived again in Black Lightning's version of the Lazarus Pit). Probably rushing stuff to get to Crisis with less loose ends.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

There were a few things in this episode that kind of came out nowhere, like Jennifer deciding to break into the new kid's apartment to figure out what his deal was. That had near zero setup this week.

Also Anissa's video felt more like she was about to do some high-stakes stuff she might not come back from... and then it just turned out to be her thinking she was going to die from the poison.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

That said, we also got Tobias trolling the poo poo out of Lynn with his whole Satan act. I cannot wait for him and Jeff to square off again after all this poo poo now that he's figured out he's Black Lightning.

Yeah, the fact that Lynn is getting played by two different bad guys is great. She's gotten more intelligent, but not smarter.

This season has so many things coming to a head that this one episode not being as coherent as previous ones kinda slows down the hype. Like, Henderson assembling the Resistance was badass... and then they act like they're already beaten because one off-screen character got caught.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

"I have your powers, but with MY training."
"Yeah, but I got a suit."
"Fair enough, down I go."

Yeesh. At least Khalil vs. Anissa round 2 was a fun watch.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Jen has been pretty dead-on about everything since her multiverse epiphany.

Yes, Odell should die for the atrocities he has committed.

Yes, she should have been allowed to use her powers more often to lessen her pain and suffering.

Yes, they should have told her about Khalil coming back.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Khalil's back and I already miss Painkiller.

Not the part where he's a slave, the part where he just oozed cockiness and charisma. Like a Tobias-lite.

As for why he doesn't ask for the Superfriends for help... because the show is called "Black Lightning", not "Supergirl and Flash Solve Everyone's Problems".

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I found it interesting how quickly I got a sense of the character without long backstory development. First comes in friendly and Good Cop, then you quickly find out about his power and it makes sense as a character trait rather than an interrogation tactic; he's friendly and confident because with his Push he doesn't need other methods of coercion. Having the physical skills to back it up supports the confidence.

Yeah, he's basically Preacher.

That whole episode was pretty great, not gonna lie.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Tiggum posted:

And was it just me, or did the stuff with Lala and Eve feel like it belonged in a different show? They've been a bit out of place in previous episodes as well, but here I just kept thinking "this scene belongs in Gotham" whenever either of them was on-screen - and also when Gambi was torturing Eve's lieutenant.

I didn't mind it. Lady Eve and Lala are entertaining minibosses and watching them interact is fun and still brings us back down to the street threats that rule Freeland.

This show just does charismatic villains so well.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

A camera can't alarm anyone, only a guard can do that.

Maybe they were on a break or something, you don't know.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

They're kinda throwing a big thing out for their third season finale. "This guy is the OG Meta, and he can have any power he wants, and HE'S YOUR GREAT-UNCLE!!!!"

They might just try to either repel him or get him to reconsider the seige of Freeland, to keep him on the Rogue's Gallery until later. I hope they do so, since Wayne Brady is great as Gravedigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

pile of brown posted:

I really liked how gravedigger consistently walked away from defeated enemies without killing them

It makes sense that he doesn't wanna kill people unless he feels like he absolutely has to, because he feels that every person he kills deserves a proper burial and he's already done way too many of those from WWII.

That was a great season finale. Hell, I'll even let Gravedigger surviving the self-destruct go because it was just that good and I want him to stay. Can't wait for season 4. Some suggestions for the title of the next thread would be appreciated; I'm thinking of "Superman is REAL!" but that can always change - we have months to decide.