Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The choice to talk about "liberal anti-vaxxers" was weird, when in the US that subjects seems to be dominated by right-wingers.

Anyway, this season was good, much better than season 2 given it had an actual focus, but man, it also felt like they had to do some hasty rewrites and had some budgetary problems along the way.

A lot of scenes I would have liked to see on screen were just given as post-facto summaries in a way that felt extremely disappointing, almost as if the scripts were written with those scenes in mind but then they realized "gently caress, we can't show that, it's too expensive" and *very* clumsily wrote around it. But even then, it's really weird that we see, for example, Jennifer blowing up a data farm from the Markovians but never see Black Lightning do the same with the ASA headquarters in Freeland.

The choreography was also extremely sloppy at points. In several scenes it was very clear that punches or knives were not connecting at all and almost no attempt was made to hide it. It wasn't a consistent problem, but it was a recurring one and felt really disappointing, especially given the show's had good fights in the past.

On top of that, the fallout of a lot of situations just seemingly didn't play out or was quickly brushed aside, and there were probably a few too many characters to juggle, though overall they did an admirable job with keeping the story focused in its sprawl, unlike season 2.

Also, uh, I have to admit, I'm very surprised there was no moment where TC discovered Gambi's past and had some angst about it especially since Gambi didn't do a particularly good job hiding his past this season, but I guess that's something they might be plotting for season 4.

Finally, as someone who didn't watch the crossover stuff (because I don't care about any of the other DC shows): lol, that was real clumsy stuff. "SUPERMAN IS REAL!" Also Gotham is real now, I guess.

P.S. : I usually don't do script-doctoring style criticism, as it's not like I could do better in a real life scenario, but I really feel like Grave Digger should have been introduced WAAAAAY EARLIER than he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Catching up with this season and lmao, they really liked dutch angles eh? I understand this is a more dour and depressing season, but sometimes they're just used where they make no sense at all. You can keep the camera straight sometimes, you don't have to follow the example of the first Thor movie.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This season was poo poo overall in spite of a few interesting ideas and sequences here and there. Pity to see Black Lightning go out on such a whimper, although at least the final sequence was nice.