Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Like what the gently caress is up with our upbringings that we have this nebulous fear of our car getting towed just for parking somewhere? Is it some super centric view of the world that they think anyone actually gives a flying gently caress where you park your piece of poo poo car or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sjs00 posted:

Like what the gently caress is up with our upbringings that we have this nebulous fear of our car getting towed just for parking somewhere? Is it some super centric view of the world that they think anyone actually gives a flying gently caress where you park your piece of poo poo car or what

What in the world is this?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Have you never lived in apartments before or

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Towing a car lowers it's value by at least 40% hth.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

SlipkPIe posted:

Have you never lived in apartments before or

Yeah, I have and I would park my car in the handicap zone just to smoke a bowl at my friends house so I didn't have to drive over the stupid speed bumps. It was still there hours later.

Burt Sexual posted:

What in the world is this?

Its the analagous thread to the "Why do Americans wear their shoes inside the house" thread, User Burt Sexual.

Rad-daddio posted:

Towing a car lowers it's value by at least 40% hth.

Well my car is valued at like 800 bucks then poo poo

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I had a car that got towed four times in one summer and the towing company said I owed them my first born son.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I agree op, one should embrace the tow and become the ubermensch

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Rad-daddio posted:

I had a car that got towed four times in one summer and the towing company said I owed them my first born son.

What kind of car was it and where did you park it? So I can avoid repeating such mistakes.
If you really need to park somewhere, a Publix or Target parking lot is fine because even if they have those "no overnight parking signs" how the hell are they gonna distinguish your car from the people who are actually working in that store overnight?
I've seen cars parked in such fashion for weeks on end in some cases.

bomb posted:

I agree op, one should embrace the tow and become the ubermensch

Finally someone gets it!!!

But you gotta park somewhere inconspicuous and not have any particularly sketchy aspects of your car. One time I parked by a stupid local tourist attraction and hat a straw hat propped up in the backseat, also it was parked backwards facing the street so when I returned to it hours later it was the only one on the street and it looked like there was someone sitting in the back, the triumvirate of sketchy, according to the several police clustered around it.

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 7, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've been in therapy for my tow fear for some time. I have good days and bad days, but the nights...the nights are always bad. You know that time when you're half asleep, and your body has like paralyzed itself but you come awake enough to be aware for a few seconds? That's when I hear it. CLUNK. CLUNK. CLUNK. And then the slow grinding sound that haunts my very soul. Before I can react, I drift back into a nightmarish sleep...

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sjs00 posted:

Yeah, I have and I would park my car in the handicap zone just to smoke a bowl at my friends house so I didn't have to drive over the stupid speed bumps. It was still there hours later.

Its the analagous thread to the "Why do Americans wear their shoes inside the house" thread, User Burt Sexual.

Well my car is valued at like 800 bucks then poo poo

Well it’s garbage and a grammatical horror show in the title
I’ll address your concerns before the bad knock off thread is gassed

* where the gently caress is my car? It’s gone! Who do I call, the police?
* police issue fine and tell you to pay to get your car out of impound ($250)
* lose half day pay trying to get dumbasses at wrecker company to get your drat car out
* unable to do poo poo all until all previous steps completed

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
some people have nice cars and need them to go to work

couple of things you arent familiar with OP

i understand.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Don't gas this thread please I've finally found a place where I can talk about it.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Yes exactly! And what is up with that shrieking noise they make as they walk past on the street, like a harpy out of hell, and when I grab them to ask them what's going on instead of eyes they have black gaping holes that ooze a clear viscous substance that is cold to the touch but after a little while starts to burn and blister your skin? And what's the deal with all the tentacles instead of arms? Do I look like Sea World to you?

What the hell is wrong with Americans these days???

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Chinatown posted:

some people have nice cars and need them to go to work

couple of things you arent familiar with OP

i understand.
I don't need your sympathy so suck my poo poo ouuta my asshooleee!!!

Burt Sexual posted:

Well it’s garbage and a grammatical horror show in the title
I’ll address your concerns before the bad knock off thread is gassed

* where the gently caress is my car? It’s gone! Who do I call, the police?
* police issue fine and tell you to pay to get your car out of impound ($250)
* lose half day pay trying to get dumbasses at wrecker company to get your drat car out
* unable to do poo poo all until all previous steps completed

Oops, in my haste to parody another thread I may or may not have done that intentionally. Sorry to dirty the purity of your sacred GBS posting ettiquite, User Burt Sexual!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I've been in therapy for my tow fear for some time. I have good days and bad days, but the nights...the nights are always bad. You know that time when you're half asleep, and your body has like paralyzed itself but you come awake enough to be aware for a few seconds? That's when I hear it. CLUNK. CLUNK. CLUNK. And then the slow grinding sound that haunts my very soul. Before I can react, I drift back into a nightmarish sleep...

This is the best post so far. Thanks for your contribution, uh, User WILLIAM HENRY HAIRYTAINT lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Sjs00 posted:

I don't need your sympathy so suck my poo poo ouuta my asshooleee!!!

Oops, in my haste to parody another thread I may or may not have done that intentionally. Sorry to dirty the purity of your sacred GBS posting ettiquite, User Burt Sexual!

This is the best post so far. Thanks for your contribution, uh, User WILLIAM HENRY HAIRYTAINT lol

Mooey Cow posted:

Yes exactly! And what is up with that shrieking noise they make as they walk past on the street, like a harpy out of hell, and when I grab them to ask them what's going on instead of eyes they have black gaping holes that ooze a clear viscous substance that is cold to the touch but after a little while starts to burn and blister your skin? And what's the deal with all the tentacles instead of arms? Do I look like Sea World to you?

What the hell is wrong with Americans these days???

This one comes in a close second!! I am gonna carefully read it later after I finish installing GOG games on this work computer! -puts post in the trunk of my illegally parked car-

Oh gently caress, now I'm posting like I park the car! Double! lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sjs00 posted:

What kind of car was it and where did you park it? So I can avoid repeating such mistakes.
If you really need to park somewhere, a Publix or Target parking lot is fine because even if they have those "no overnight parking signs" how the hell are they gonna distinguish your car from the people who are actually working in that store overnight?
I've seen cars parked in such fashion for weeks on end in some cases.

Finally someone gets it!!!

But you gotta park somewhere inconspicuous and not have any particularly sketchy aspects of your car. One time I parked by a stupid local tourist attraction and hat a straw hat propped up in the backseat, also it was parked backwards facing the street so when I returned to it hours later it was the only one on the street and it looked like there was someone sitting in the back, the triumvirate of sketchy, according to the several police clustered around it.

I used to have a 1978 Ford Granada, and I parked it literally wherever the gently caress I wanted. Sidewalks, across three spaces, it didn't matter.

Finally, after getting my car out of impound the last time it occured to me that I'd spent more money on parking fines than the car was actually worth.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Rad-daddio posted:

I used to have a 1978 Ford Granada, and I parked it literally wherever the gently caress I wanted. Sidewalks, across three spaces, it didn't matter.

Finally, after getting my car out of impound the last time it occured to me that I'd spent more money on parking fines than the car was actually worth.

And of course, that's not even taking into account the terrible gas mileage as well I assume.
Well a lesson learned I guess!

They'll pry my lovely 2000 Honda Accord outta my cold double parked hands!!!!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
wow OP nice humblebrag about living in FANCY LAND, where the tow truck companies arent owned and operated exclusively by thieving scum

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sjs00 posted:

i think this comes from people who had experience in college towns with these small-time tow mafias run by rednecks who get the run of the strip mall parking lots -- strip malls populated by quicken loans, joe's generic pizza and other greasy spoons, sports bars and so on

the solution as always is not to go to college

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Pitdragon posted:

wow OP nice humblebrag about living in FANCY LAND, where the tow truck companies arent owned and operated exclusively by thieving scum

The easiest way to get back at tow truck companies, I think, is to just -redacted- their -redacted- when they're not looking. All it takes is a wrench!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think this comes from people who had experience in college towns with these small-time tow mafias run by rednecks who get the run of the strip mall parking lots -- strip malls populated by quicken loans, joe's generic pizza and other greasy spoons, sports bars and so on

the solution as always is not to go to college

Growing up poor I had several hundred miles on my skateboard before I even got my first car at 19, and would most likely have used the skateboard exclusively when going to college, but, uh, I said I grew up a poor skateboarder right

Polio Vax Scene posted:

OP is a plant for the towing industry

gently caress NO

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 7, 2019

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

OP is a plant for the towing industry

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

https://youtu.be/BkKBjFXM2hM

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Well this wasn't even an American, his steering wheel is on the European side. Yowza!

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I used to date a girl who was a manager at an apartment complex and she was always having people's cars towed for parking in resident's spots. And that's my towing story.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Vastarien posted:

I used to date a girl who was a manager at an apartment complex and she was always having people's cars towed for parking in resident's spots. And that's my towing story.

Goddamn, was she at least good in bed, or was she a total drag

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My neighbor has a car that he stores on the street which is illegal so I had it towed and he figured out it was me and got me back by impregnating my wife which normally I wouldn’t have cared that much about but I was hoping to retire around 10 years from now but no way I can do that with a kid in middle school.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
OP seems like a naive idiot. Dude, depending on where you live your car can get towed all the time. My car was towed 6 times just last week. My friend had his car towed and the stupid towing company dropped it off in the wrong lot and then had to get towed AGAIN. I dated a girl who lived in an apartment complex and arrived at like 3am and before sunrise, my car was towed! One time though, I parked my car at a small hospital parking with hardly any other cars so that I could leave my car overnight to go camping a couple of miles away and my car DIDNT get towed for that

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Towing_Service

Because of firms like the above, who are famous for doing poo poo like breaking into cars in order to tow them, grabbing cars that are legally parked, towing cars in order to strip them down and sell the scrap, and beating the poo poo out of anyone who comes to complain.

Got a fun song out of it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF3q7o8Yjrg

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the towing industry is shady as hell and most people are uninformed
if youre ever in an accident dont use a tow truck that shows up and isnt one you called and never go to the repair shop they recommend. matter of fact you should research a good local shop and put that info in your glove compartment right now

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

bird with big dick posted:

My neighbor has a car that he stores on the street which is illegal so I had it towed and he figured out it was me and got me back by impregnating my wife which normally I wouldn’t have cared that much about but I was hoping to retire around 10 years from now but no way I can do that with a kid in middle school.

Yeah that doesn't seem too equal in terms of, uh, well, any metric ever. At least no one got hurt

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

OP seems like a naive idiot. Dude, depending on where you live your car can get towed all the time. My car was towed 6 times just last week. My friend had his car towed and the stupid towing company dropped it off in the wrong lot and then had to get towed AGAIN. I dated a girl who lived in an apartment complex and arrived at like 3am and before sunrise, my car was towed! One time though, I parked my car at a small hospital parking with hardly any other cars so that I could leave my car overnight to go camping a couple of miles away and my car DIDNT get towed for that

Naive, maybe, but not an idiot. If I lived in a place where my car gets towed constantly I would eschew driving altogether and just work from home.

Loden Taylor posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Towing_Service

Because of firms like the above, who are famous for doing poo poo like breaking into cars in order to tow them, grabbing cars that are legally parked, towing cars in order to strip them down and sell the scrap, and beating the poo poo out of anyone who comes to complain.

Got a fun song out of it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF3q7o8Yjrg

Chicago Lawless, So What

(in all seriousness that's terrible)

gary oldmans diary posted:

the towing industry is shady as hell and most people are uninformed
if youre ever in an accident dont use a tow truck that shows up and isnt one you called and never go to the repair shop they recommend. matter of fact you should research a good local shop and put that info in your glove compartment right now

Noted and thanks, User Gary Oldmans Diary

(your handle is a grammatical nightmare, by the way.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sjs00 posted:

(in all seriousness that's terrible)

idk, i like the song

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Why do people who post threads assume that just because their life experience has been one way, anybody who has had a different life experience must be lying or an idiot?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

1redflag posted:

Why do people who post threads assume that just because their life experience has been one way, anybody who has had a different life experience must be lying or an idiot?

Because its GBS probably

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sjs00 posted:

(your handle is a grammatical nightmare, by the way.)

I could fix your thread title if you’d ask nicely. I don’t believe usernames can have special characters?

Goons working hard to save your thread here though.

My towing story. I parked in some overnight lot downtown by the bars in college. They put it at the entryway and closed the gate for the night. Some dumb poo poo in likely a F250 wanted to get out at 3am. He pushed my car onto a six lane highway and took off. CCTV got it all. When I returned the next morning I had to figure out the whole poo poo as mine was obviously towed. Had to front the impound money to go to work the following day. And the alignment was hosed up afterwards too. Skeezy impound lot w cars bumper to bumper, door to door.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Coat like 200 bucks to get it out of Impound, OP.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Relatively unknown law, but if you ever get towed you are allowed to retaliate by blasting brown (otherwise known as pooping, or crapping) all over the interior of the tow company office.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Smythe posted:

Coat like 200 bucks to get it out of Impound, OP.

This is an absolute rock bottom estimate

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Tickets and fines can be expensive OP. Alot of people in the U.s.A work minimum wage jobs and live pay check to pay check. Paying a $200+ plus fine could literally ruin a persons month/year.

I'd say it's more of a financial fear than an actual car being towed fear.

We broke here!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How broke can you possibly be if you own a car :shrug:

Cars are a luxury item don't you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Americans drive cars with automatic transmissions and it gets all hosed up if you tow it. Same reason you can't tow an electric car, but different