Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Parking in a handicap spot is an rear end in a top hat move too. My mom at 85 has to walk 100 feet more to get groceries bc you’re entitled and a bitch that can’t walk. At like middle age I’m guessing.

Anyways i small claimed the dude and he had to pay like $1500 to me. My car was a 20 year old Vega. Judge didn’t like that parking fuckling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Sjs00 posted:

Like what the gently caress is up with our upbringings that we have this nebulous fear of our car getting towed just for parking somewhere? Is it some super centric view of the world that they think anyone actually gives a flying gently caress where you park your piece of poo poo car or what

how did you earn that redtext? i swear that's a quote from me?

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Smythe posted:

Coat like 200 bucks to get it out of Impound, OP.

It's loving $500 here unless you can get to the impound lot within the hour.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cancer posted:

How broke can you possibly be if you own a car :shrug:

Cars are a luxury item don't you know

You can get a peice of poo poo beater for a few hundred bucks. Barely functional, but enough to get to work, take kids to school, go to the doctor ect.

Cars are a luxury item for alot if people and a necessity for many more.

Point is, I'm broke so give me some monies please

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i enjoy driving my personal automobile

it brings me pleasure, and its also useful to get to/from work and various other responsibilities that i have

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Chinatown posted:

i enjoy driving my personal automobile

it brings me pleasure, and its also useful to get to/from work and various other responsibilities that i have

yeah well thats all gonna go right out the window after i tow your bitch rear end

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I needed a tow truck to get your mom out of my house, OP

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah, and why don't people like getting punched in the face?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think this comes from people who had experience in college towns with these small-time tow mafias run by rednecks who get the run of the strip mall parking lots -- strip malls populated by quicken loans, joe's generic pizza and other greasy spoons, sports bars and so on

It's amazing how lobbying power towing companies have for being run by people that make pawnshops look like fine upstanding members of the polite business community.

I don't know if they finally fixed it but there was a towing company in Dallas, so one of the largest US cities, which was basically a straight up criminal enterprise that would get it's towing license revoked for doing crimes after months of legal process, and then immediately get a new towing license under a new LLC because they was nothing stopping them from just getting a new one after their old one was pulled for illegal poo poo which would start the same process over again.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Burt Sexual posted:

Well it’s garbage and a grammatical horror show in the title
I’ll address your concerns before the bad knock off thread is gassed

* where the gently caress is my car? It’s gone! Who do I call, the police?
* police issue fine and tell you to pay to get your car out of impound ($250)
* lose half day pay trying to get dumbasses at wrecker company to get your drat car out
* unable to do poo poo all until all previous steps completed

Don't forget the additional fun of:

*Towing company flattened your tire/bent your rim/tore your entire exhaust system off in impounding your car - not their problem, legally speaking.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I had a deep fear of getting towed so my therapist suggested immersion therapy. Now I've been towed so many times I don't have a car anymore. Problem solved!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Three Olives posted:

It's amazing how lobbying power towing companies have for being run by people that make pawnshops look like fine upstanding members of the polite business community.

I don't know if they finally fixed it but there was a towing company in Dallas, so one of the largest US cities, which was basically a straight up criminal enterprise that would get it's towing license revoked for doing crimes after months of legal process, and then immediately get a new towing license under a new LLC because they was nothing stopping them from just getting a new one after their old one was pulled for illegal poo poo which would start the same process over again.

If only there were a single good guy with a gun in the entire shithole state

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

The_Continental posted:

I needed a tow truck to get your mom out of my house, OP

gently caress lol got emmm

*honk honk*

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
im serious what thread is that quote from and why is it your redtext avatar now OP?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

im serious what thread is that quote from and why is it your redtext avatar now OP?

Buy him pms and make out. I don’t care.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shamino posted:

It's loving $500 here unless you can get to the impound lot within the hour.

jesus gently caress

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when i was a lad my car got towed while i was on a date. rip. that was before lyft so i had to call a cab as at that time it was illegal to wave down cabs in los angeles or something. da gently caress. was a real bad time. getting towed sucks

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
Getting your car towed is a pain in the rear end and I'd rather just drive around for a minute and find a safe spot than deal with the 15 step process of finding who legally stole my car, hailing a taxi, and then paying the rear end in a top hat who stole my car over a hundred dollars for the inconvenience they caused me.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I lived in a college town (Ann Arbor, MI) that had Kafka-esque parking laws. You had to switch which side of the street you parked on depending on the day of the week. 48 hours leading up to gamedays it was all no parking at all. I was a graduate student so not really heavily invested in the athletics schedule.

I had a friend come visit and they parked on a side street and ended up getting towed. We woke up hungover to find the car gone and had to take a cab 30 minutes outside of the city. We were a mixed race couple and had to deal with the rude degenerate swamp-spawn rural Michigan boomer junkyard clerk asking about the nature of our relationship. He nearly called the cops after I said something along the lines of "I give you money, you give me car". It cost like $400 all up and they damaged the vehicle. gently caress towing companies and like 90% of rural Michigan.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I used to live in Arlington Viriginia where they have literal people (narcs) waiting in parking lots to see if you go to the "wrong" store for that parking lot and call a tow truck immediately which is there within only a few minutes.

For reference, this is the tow company that the ESPN reporter went ballistic on a few years ago:

https://deadspin.com/is-this-espn-reporter-britt-mchenry-berating-a-parking-1698248529

The rest of the country saw the freak out and lambasted her, but secretly most Arlington residents cheered.

They've been known to tow cars out of peoples own driveways, and even once tried to tow a car with a dad's kids in it when he went inside a CVS for a few minutes to get cold medicine:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Arlington-Tow-Truck-Driver-Hooks-Car-With-Children-Inside-298537061.html

I've had my own car towed from that same CVS because I went to get a coffee across the street first instead of going into the CVS that the parking lot was for. So in the 3 minutes it took to get a coffee my car was already gone for parking at a store I was actually going to buy something from lol.

So yes OP, I'm extremely loving scarred for life of my poo poo getting towed after living in Arlington VA.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Three Olives posted:

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't forget the additional fun of:

*Towing company flattened your tire/bent your rim/tore your entire exhaust system off in impounding your car - not their problem, legally speaking.

lots of real things posted in this thread

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FungiCap posted:

I used to live in Arlington Viriginia where they have literal people (narcs) waiting in parking lots to see if you go to the "wrong" store for that parking lot and call a tow truck immediately which is there within only a few minutes.

For reference, this is the tow company that the ESPN reporter went ballistic on a few years ago:

https://deadspin.com/is-this-espn-reporter-britt-mchenry-berating-a-parking-1698248529

The rest of the country saw the freak out and lambasted her, but secretly most Arlington residents cheered.

They've been known to tow cars out of peoples own driveways, and even once tried to tow a car with a dad's kids in it when he went inside a CVS for a few minutes to get cold medicine:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Arlington-Tow-Truck-Driver-Hooks-Car-With-Children-Inside-298537061.html

I've had my own car towed from that same CVS because I went to get a coffee across the street first instead of going into the CVS that the parking lot was for. So in the 3 minutes it took to get a coffee my car was already gone for parking at a store I was actually going to buy something from lol.

So yes OP, I'm extremely loving scarred for life of my poo poo getting towed after living in Arlington VA.

But you’re rich and can afford it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Towing must be such an awesome job. Its basically legal car theft only your victims have to actually come to you and pay you money to get their possibly damaged property which you stole from them back. loving amazing racket, third only to politics and cults if you ask me

Also in Chicago and NYC and probably most other major cities it’s a literal racket of organized crime

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 8, 2019

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skasion posted:

Also in Chicago and NYC and probably most other major cities it’s a literal racket of organized crime

there it is

naem
May 29, 2011

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sorry about your brain, op

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Here the tow companies were so corrupt the city took over and created an entire tow truck department.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You can get a peice of poo poo beater for a few hundred bucks. Barely functional, but enough to get to work, take kids to school, go to the doctor ect.

Cars are a luxury item for alot if people and a necessity for many more.

Point is, I'm broke so give me some monies please

lol a few hundred bucks won't get you poo poo. A loving 1991 Honda Civic that starts and maybe runs is gonna be more than a few hundred bucks, probably closer to $1000. Then you have to worry about all the stupid rigged up poo poo the previous 15 owners did to keep it going and then you have to take your kids to school but the relay from the battery to the alternator back to the battery then to the AC vent panel (but no AC) to a ground underneath the fuel pump cuts out and welp

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chief McHeath posted:

lol a few hundred bucks won't get you poo poo. A loving 1991 Honda Civic that starts and maybe runs is gonna be more than a few hundred bucks, probably closer to $1000. Then you have to worry about all the stupid rigged up poo poo the previous 15 owners did to keep it going and then you have to take your kids to school but the relay from the battery to the alternator back to the battery then to the AC vent panel (but no AC) to a ground underneath the fuel pump cuts out and welp

no ac no deal

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Based off of LA so idk maybe different in not city but getting towed is like $600 minimum dude that means you gotta come up with a poo poo ton of money right away because going to go up $200 a day until you get it out and it's not like you can just not have a car cause you've gotta get to work

Only gotten towed once but I would rate it 0/10 would not recommend

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I worked in a resturaunt and everyone who drove their car to work had it towed or booted at least once just from parking in the parking lot next door. Because we were on a campus, all parking was an hour limit without a parking pass (which had a couple years waiting list) even if you worked in the building the lot was attached to.

There was actually a huge problem with sketchy and possibly illegal towing going around near the campus too. It was basically extortion, they would tow the car and make you pay whatever they wanted if you wanted to get it back.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sjs00 posted:

Like what the gently caress is up with our upbringings that we have this nebulous fear of our car getting towed just for parking somewhere? Is it some super centric view of the world that they think anyone actually gives a flying gently caress where you park your piece of poo poo car or what

It's because we are all so poor that having our car towed unexpectedly could result in us being homeless or worse within a couple weeks if not faster

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Chief McHeath posted:

Yep, a good rule of thumb pretty much anywhere in the US: running, driving car is worth $1500. Add $500 for AC

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

GABA ghoul posted:

Americans drive cars with automatic transmissions and it gets all hosed up if you tow it. Same reason you can't tow an electric car, but different

I always wondered about this, like if they tow my AWD Subaru with a hook and chain tow truck and destroy it am I just hosed or nah?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Why do Americans so afraid of towed, I ask. Why do man so afraid to am dead. Why do the world is to not be be so exist. Why am so?? Is yes??

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
why do americans so afraid of being evicted? no one give a poo poo about your piece of poo poo house

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
because it costs hundreds of dollars and most americans have no savings or heavy debt and they could realistically be made bankrupt for parking in some businesses parking lot when it's closed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

house of the dad posted:

Why do Americans so afraid of towed, I ask. Why do man so afraid to am dead. Why do the world is to not be be so exist. Why am so?? Is yes??

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GABA ghoul posted:

Americans drive cars with automatic transmissions and it gets all hosed up if you tow it. Same reason you can't tow an electric car, but different
joke's on everybody else because i drive a manual. i can be towed with no problems all day long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FungiCap posted:

i don't usually advocate violence on the forums but what the gently caress :murder: