Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Chief McHeath posted:

lol a few hundred bucks won't get you poo poo. A loving 1991 Honda Civic that starts and maybe runs is gonna be more than a few hundred bucks, probably closer to $1000. Then you have to worry about all the stupid rigged up poo poo the previous 15 owners did to keep it going and then you have to take your kids to school but the relay from the battery to the alternator back to the battery then to the AC vent panel (but no AC) to a ground underneath the fuel pump cuts out and welp

Yep, a good rule of thumb pretty much anywhere in the US: running, driving car is worth $1500. Add $500 for AC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Wicker Man posted:

I'm very car illiterate, so if I'm understanding the towing an automatic thing right can't you just set it in neutral before actually towing it to prevent what I assume is forced friction against the internal gears that shouldn't be moving if it was in like, parked? I've only ever driven manual.

Front wheel drive automatics should be towed with the non driving axle on the road mainly because when the engine isn't running, transmission fluid isn't being pumped through a cooler, therefore it could overheat and burn up the transmission. In a city setting, I doubt it would be an issue. All wheel drive vehicle should be towed on a flatbed always, because turning one axle while the other axle is locked causes center(the one connecting the front and rear axles, in simple terms) differential to slip in an extreme manner. They are designed to "slip" but uhhh not like that.

In short, all cars really should only be towed on a flatbed but gently caress you

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Wicker Man posted:

drat, I had no idea. Much appreciated on the explanation. All the more reason to say screw automatics.

Manual transmissions are getting kind of rare unless you get a VERY economical car. They are way cheaper than automatics. I'm with you though, my next car as got to be a stick. But at the end of the day, if your car gets towed by a "hook"(not the flatbed kind), expect something to be hosed up when you get it back. Just park in a garage

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Mammal Sauce posted:

I was arrested one night for a 110 in a 30 and the police were very friendly and fulfilled my request of a rollback truck for my Triumph and were sure to take good care of it. When I bailed myself out the next day, it was still in immaculate condition and drove off $150 poorer.

Other people I know have had them thrown on the back of an old school tow truck and are tossed around like a pendulum beating the poo poo out of it on the way to impound.

Hope you lost your license, bootlicker!