Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Oof. With a half-dozen more survival questions pending, what was with those sudden condition drops? Bad luck? A slideshow frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

RabidWeasel posted:

:negative:

That seems weird to take that much damage in a single struggle even on Interloper. Though FYI as far as I'm aware the hatchet is the better weapon for fighting off wolves, unless that changed recently. I guess if the framerate was really bad it might have not recorded the mouseclicks properly?

That is true, unfortunately I didn't think it would murder me from full health and I wanted it dead which only the knife definitively accomplishes in a struggle. Of course it's of use if the wolf bleeds out after I die. Now I know if your protection stat is low you can die from one wolf struggle. I think the heavy hammer is also better at getting a wolf off than the axe, but not 100% sure and axe can hurt the wolf while hammer definitely does not.

Could have also avoided the whole fight if I just dealt with the wolf or dropped a decoy or just quit the game before screwing around with my computer. I'm an idiot.

tomanton posted:

Oof. With a half-dozen more survival questions pending, what was with those sudden condition drops? Bad luck? A slideshow frame?

I think you get the big jumps in condition where you suffer a laceration or blood loss or some such, similar to a critical hit I guess.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Ah well, I hope the third time is the charm, or at least cheesed way harder: this has been super educational, and I wouldn't consider reloading out of a frame drop any weaker of a tactic than, say, scaring off a charging wolf with an unlit campfire.

I had no idea there could be goodies inside broken crates, I'd never seen it outside story mode so just assumed it wasn't a thing. My survivor is still hanging around Milton waiting for more hides and saplings or whatever to cure I guess, from watching your game I see I have nowhere near the coal needed for a forge run. Although I've found a half-dozen hatchets and knives and multiple firearms, but no cleaning kits or sharpening stones :iiam:

What exactly does the interloper late-game look like anyways? Just running around in furs with a bow going from zone to zone for whatever respawns? Do animals/fish/saplings ever run out, and after 150 days or so has every food item spoiled? Is it worth it to cross the map tossing every building's loot on the front lawn to make it last a few more months?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Saplings don't respawn, animals do, coal does, as do sticks, branches and birch bark. The magnifying glass doesn't wear out on Interloper so you can still start fires without matches. You can beachcomb for cloth and clothing to repair your clothes (there are item slots without craftable items) though I've never tried it so I don't know how easy / difficult this is. You will eventually run out of whetstones to do repairs with but you can still forge new knives and hatchets if you can generate some cloth. Tools can be repaired indefinitely if you have a source of scrap metal, which is theoretically limited but I'm not sure that it's practically possible to use it all up since there's rear end tons of beds etc that you can slice up with a hacksaw and there really aren't that many other uses for scrap metal, unlike cloth which you need to repair a bunch of your clothing.

Also fun thing I just found out from the wiki: apparently having tools in your inventory makes you produce arrows faster even though it doesn't say this anywhere! Quality tools give a 50% boost and regular tools 25%.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Saplings don't respawn, animals do

That makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I'm bumping this ancient thread because Episode 4 of story mode was just released. "Wintermute" as it's called, has taken forever and there's still one episode to go, but if you haven't played this game since 2019 you have a free episode waiting for you download.

Also, if you haven't played since 2019 you've missed couple additional regions to the map, unique items (such as the pistol, crampons, etc), new missions in the Challenges mode, and new enemies (Timber Wolves). The bread and butter of the game continues to be survival mode, and the new items and regions help keep this fresh. Wintermute is a great way to get introduced to the game, but for experienced players it can be disorienting because different skills are necessary from those of survival mode. The story is very loosely tied together, I can't say it's anything amazing, but it's compelling enough. Don't expect the next episode for A VERY LONG TIME, probably two years or so. But, in the meantime, Hinterland keeps giving us great freebies in Challenge and Survival modes, so there's no reason not to revisit this game.