Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm just happy the car got to go to heaven. The Impala has done nothing wrong ever in her life and she deserves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

that ending was just as good, just as sappy, and just as ridiculous as the last 15 years is this show.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Jesus christ, fans bullied Jim Beaver off Twitter last night because they were mad Bobby was the only one in Heaven to greet Sam and Dean??? What the gently caress is wrong with this shows "fans"

Wait what the gently caress

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wait what the gently caress

There's a lot of vitriol on Twitter that I regret even reading. Just a lot of people pissed off that things didn't go the way they wanted and who think the actors are solely responsible for the show. It is dumb and I probably shouldn't have even poo poo up this thread with it:

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
So I stopped watching after I think season 12 or 13 (the one where Crowley dies in that alternate universe I think, and I think I stopped watching when the budget got axed), would I be able to follow along well enough if I skipped right to the last couple episodes of the series?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

So I stopped watching after I think season 12 or 13 (the one where Crowley dies in that alternate universe I think, and I think I stopped watching when the budget got axed), would I be able to follow along well enough if I skipped right to the last couple episodes of the series?

Yeah, I think so. Just go read a wiki article about Jack or watch the first couple eps of season 14 first to get some of his backstory and you should be good.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I really don't know why there's even such negative backlash. I mean, I know people are upset it wasn't the perfect ending they have in their fanfics, but the last shot was literally exactly what I thought it would be, actors who couldn't return to shoot the episode notwithstanding.

It was a fine ending, and that's about all I really expected from a show that's gone on this long.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sirotan posted:

Jesus christ, fans bullied Jim Beaver off Twitter last night because they were mad Bobby was the only one in Heaven to greet Sam and Dean??? What the gently caress is wrong with this shows "fans"

I guess it tracks that the fanbase would do one more toxic and insane thing before the show's gone. Totally Jim Beaver's fault and not COVID-19 or Jeffrey Dean Morgan's schedule or the writers or a million other factors that made that necessary.

That ending sucked, but I'm not even mad. Of course it was going to suck. The spirit of it was great (it makes sense that Dean might die on some random job, and it makes sense that Sam might go on living to be reunited with him after he dies.) But yeah, that execution was atrocious...it feels like Dean dies a few days after Jack fixes the world, HOW he dies is a ridiculous slog to watch, and then Sam ages through some terrible wigs while frowning for like 35 years. He has a wife and a son, and they are literal non-characters. He does NOTHING else with the multiple decades he continues living.

And of course, Heaven is a 20-square-mile radius of Canadian backwoods. Castiel is mentioned by name and not seen.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Watching now. Could be better. :colbert:

It would've felt more natural if their luck expired (again) so they retired into Bobby's old role.

Go straight from Pie Fest to, "oh god not again."

Cue montage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I got a big kick out of "Agents Singer and Kripke."

The Sam montage was laughably bad.

Double Carry On made up for it missing in the last episode.

That's about it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Man... sad way to end the evening. Combined with the knowledge of no more Venture Brothers makes me feel old. Was popping pimples when this started and it was always on...even when I wasn't watching it. Guess this is how our parents felt about Dr Who getting cancelled back in the day. I still like the littlest Winchester. Lucky Winchester is a good boy and sad we didn't get more time.

Xealot posted:

That ending sucked, but I'm not even mad. Of course it was going to suck. The spirit of it was great (it makes sense that Dean might die on some random job, and it makes sense that Sam might go on living to be reunited with him after he dies.) But yeah, that execution was atrocious...it feels like Dean dies a few days after Jack fixes the world, HOW he dies is a ridiculous slog to watch, and then Sam ages through some terrible wigs while frowning for like 35 years. He has a wife and a son, and they are literal non-characters. He does NOTHING else with the multiple decades he continues living.

And of course, Heaven is a 20-square-mile radius of Canadian backwoods. Castiel is mentioned by name and not seen.

I liked certain beats but yeah... almost wish it had been attached to the last episode or at least the Pie festival part. Guess not much that can be done with effin Covid but would have liked to seen everyone for what was essentially an epilogue episode. Would have liked to seen Sam retire from active role and do the Bobby mentor role. Dean was always going to go out that way but felt like he would have made a joke about going up against gods and celestial beings only to get taken out by a rebar fighting scrub tier vampires. Did like it was a case left over from his Dad and using the journal. Liked Sam's son, NuDean, getting the tatt and Sam dying to a modern version of Carry On. That whole music during the montage going from the older Carry On to the new one as it focused on the new Dean W was a good choice. Dean's Elysian Fields being a brew and a drive in his car was perfect. Sam's makeup was really bad. Like 70s style low budget British scifi show ageing bad. So bad it became a bit hilarious. Seen far, far worse show endings without Covid gutting travel and cast.

Jack fixing Heaven yet letting Monsters back on earth was a bit funny; though I can hear Castiel asking Jack why and Jack replies back "So Dean doesn't get too bored." I'll miss this show but don't have any regrets aside from getting old.

I want to pat Lucky Winchester, give him some bacon and tell him he is a good boy. Floofy puppers.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So apparently some of the fandom is mad they both died because it means they can't be back for the SPN reboot some years down the road.

It's cute they think that will happen.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

i am amazed they didn't pull out a spin-off from this show on 15 years.... it's not like it didn't have deep lore, or interesting side characters. i know they tried with that stupid chicago ghost dad one, but why never rufus and bobby hour of old man antics? or jody and the girls like gilmore girls and ghouls
i guess they had ghost facers webseries, i think, but come on.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 21, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
They tried, twice that I know of and likely more. One pilot that was an SPN episode was so hated it was quickly dropped, it featured a bunch of teenage monsters. The other was with Jody and the girls but for whatever reason the network didn't go for it.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

The Last Call posted:

So apparently some of the fandom is mad they both died because it means they can't be back for the SPN reboot some years down the road.

It's cute they think that will happen.

They also didn't hear Bobby say Castiel helped Jack reshape heaven so they are mad at imagined (in this instance) homophobia for leaving Cas in "super hell" which isn't even really hell, just a place where you sleep forever which sounds pretty sweet tbh

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I figured Dean died because God wasn't writing his story anymore. He would have died that way in the first few episodes if it wasn't for God.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

They had a whole episode with the premise that the bros are actually pretty awful hunters who only survived this long because of literal plot armor, after all

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

BrendianaJones posted:

They also didn't hear Bobby say Castiel helped Jack reshape heaven so they are mad at imagined (in this instance) homophobia for leaving Cas in "super hell" which isn't even really hell, just a place where you sleep forever which sounds pretty sweet tbh

Unfortunately the fandom is so nutty there was no way it was going to be fully pleased and were going to be angry no matter what. Those are the worse fans.

As for dying, they were hunters and one thing the show pretty much established is that hunters die, they don't get to grow old much so Dean getting killed was very much in par for the hunter life cycle. It reminded me of those random accidents people suffer that have no real meaning to them and is just a part of life, like athletes who get hurt doing something they've done a thousand times, it feels natural as such.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BrendianaJones posted:

I can see being really annoyed that Castiel wasn't shown in the last episode. Sure he's not in super hell anymore, but like....he was a big part of the show and it's a turbo bummer that he got got the way he did and namedropped in a quick passing line in the finale. It's not like he was a 3 episode or even 3 season character and it's kind of a lovely send off for a character that's been around forever.

Granted this show EXCELS in lovely sendoffs for characters who have been around forever, so maybe it's just more of the same. But I get why folks are annoyed.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

I get that, but maybe blame Covid and Misha not being available due to Covid rather than the writers being raging homophobes?

Being sad Misha wasn't there is fine, blowing it out of proportion is irritating. Especially when there have been legit reasons to critique the way the show has handled LGBTQ characters without having to make things up.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, Jack becoming God and remaking the world begs some serious "problem of evil" questions. He "fixes Heaven," but there are still vampires? At least Chuck's excuse is that he was a sociopath.

I think I'd feel better about the ending if they did a better job of showing complexity and variation in the passage of time. What they showed us looked so spare and uneventful. Sam and Dean are the only people who exist, Dean dies on his first day back on the job, and Sam is alone forever despite having a wife and son that are mostly out-of-focus. COVID hamstrung their choices, but couldn't they have had a little ambition for their last episode? Shown bits and pieces of tons of jobs, maybe suggest that Dean and Sam kept working for years before the vampire's nest happened. Maybe they formed a Hunter network, maybe a ghoul slashed Sam in the face one day and he has a badass scar now. Whatever they could to show that they kept living their lives and stuff happened.

It's mostly so jarring to me that they couldn't be hosed to characterize Sam's invisible wife or son, or elaborate on any aspect of Sam's life after Dean. Like, sure he was sad and incomplete. But maybe he married Eileen, why not? Did he become the new Bobby or just retire outright? Little Dean has a hunter tattoo, is that his life, as well? What does Sam actually do, aside from stare meaningfully at the void his brother left behind?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
We dunno if Dean Jr. is a hunter or not. He just has an antipossession tat, which I'm pretty sure his dad made him get as soon as he was legally (or illegally) able.

Dunno if I liked the finale or not, there were some issues, but overall it felt like an actual ending to the show.

I really, really hope they end up revealing what the original ending pre covid would have been.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is anyone else just kind of shocked its actually over?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

I still can't believe Jack didn't get rid of the monsters - or bring Eileen back to life. Did he just leave her off the list? Even if they couldn't get her back for the last episode, they could have used a photo to show she was still alive.

But seriously, the monster thing. Why? You could have just taken all the monsters and the magic away. It would have made so much more sense.

He's sort of implied to be there (maybe running the place?) but doesn't appear on screen.

He didn't want to meddle. You start meddling and where does it end? He also has the lessons he learned in his short life about power going wrong, like when he accidentally killed a dude. Start throwing around god level powers to fundamentally change the nature of reality (eg. magic exists) and things could go really, really wrong.

It is also unnecessary. All the First's are long gone. All the super demons are gone. Most of the gods are gone and the few left on Earth are weak as hell. Nearly everything left on earth is within human ability to deal with. (Maybe tuck the stray leviathans back into purgatory since they are dang near impossible to kill.) Let humanity write their own story of finally defeating the monster under the bed.

We also don't see Jack fix climate change, or war, or crime. Maybe he'll do it later. Maybe without Chuck stirring the pot to make things more interesting humanity will be able to get our poo poo together and fix our own problems.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I laughed that Sam kept that same terrible haircut all those years.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I haven't been reading this thread because I'm still back on S13, but my podcast released a new theme this week and everyone is telling me it makes people that have seen S15 cry, so if you want to here a synth-pop version of November Rain but it's about Hunks, then here you go.

I also made a really super sad and hilarious video for the song, which we're gonna watch live with our podcast friends in like six hours if you wanna see Hunks Cry.

Looking forward to dodging spoilers until I get to the S15 finale in....2022.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sirotan posted:

I have to also acknowledge the poo poo tier wig and old man makeup job they did on Sam. It looked terrible even for the CW. I'm pretty sure middle aged Sam was just a wig with Jared frowning a bit. It got a laugh out of me while I was full on sobbing.

Yeah but whatever they did to de-age Jim Beaver was aces.

I have mixed feelings. I like the happy ending, but it still seems like a needless coda after last week.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I first discovered the show in 2012 on Netflix and I checked out after around season 13, just kind of waiting for the show to end. It doesn't seem like I really missed all that much as the last few episodes were perfectly easy to understand without missing any context.

I like the ending, but lately I really like shows that sort of just end, and there are happy and unhappy consequences as a result of the plot. Dean dying to a random monster fight is like the most obvious thing in the world given that's how almost every other hunter in the show died. People in that life didn't live long and fulfilling lives, they died in a dirty warehouse or while investigating a haunted farm or something.

From the very first episode Dean was always the reckless foolhardy deathwish guy and Sam was the "I have a life" guy who joins his brother regardless. I imagine if they had been able to film the finale they wanted you would've seen tons of returning cast, like Kevin, Felicity Day, Castiel, etc. for the "and then all my friends came into the room for a big party" kind of ending

The epilogue "final story" nature of it runs counter to a ton of traditional endings and for a tumblr fandom like SPN is obviously going to infuriate many fans who didn't want that ending. I've seen it said but pissing off fans is also kind of the staple of SPN so the ending did the job. There's so much mention to how culturally relevant SPN is to the entire genre of fantasy tv and how it shaped how media creators deal with internet fandom in all the reviews of the finale that also trash it for not having any female characters in the finale, the whole Destiel thing, etc.

Overall, 15 years of good-great TV. Seasons 1-5 are all time greats and had the show ended then people would probably still be posting about it like it was a groundbreaking series. 6-15 was a definite rollercoaster of quality that so often got close to the greatness of the early seasons but in the end suffered from always being on the brink of cancellation so they couldn't do too much long term story writing.

Netflix currently has the entire series up to season 15 ep 13. Not sure if there's enough interest for a rewatch, especially given its 300+ episodes. Going back to the old threads it wasn't until season 4 that there was major interest in the show, and it kept up for quite a while until season 10 became the default thread moving forward until this one.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 23, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is actually, the greatest time, of all time, to check out tumblr by the way. thanksgivings to you and your show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have no idea what's going on but there are some absolutely off the chains conspiracy theories and apparently the smoking gun is in the latin american dub. I appreciate your show, but really mostly for this part.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Misha Collins has a multiple tweet long response and even made a video and people are replying to him and accusing him on lying because the CW paid him. It would be hilarious if not for how pathetic and obviously upsetting for the actors it is.

Thread here:
https://twitter.com/mishacollins/status/1331800202252931073

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Ahhh why does everyone wanna live in a world where everyone on their favorite TV show is loving each other?

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Ahhh why does everyone wanna live in a world where everyone on their favorite TV show is loving each other?

I don't understand why fans feel like the writers HAVE to go along with their fanfics, anyway. It's not the story they want to tell, get over it, criticize them for actually good reasons instead of saying it's homophobic for them not to make two characters hook up that they never intended to have hook up.

I also think it's gross that any time two men show any love or affection in a show it's decided it MUST be sexual or romantic in nature, like men can't have close friendships without wanting to gently caress.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nevermind that two of the men in this show being brothers doesn't seem to slow many of them down much.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

They also use evidence like "Dean watches a medical drama and is a fan of the lead" as evidence for him being bisexual, which, I guess if you want to side with guys who think it's gay to watch shows that are "for girls"? Seems pretty toxic to me.

I try my best to ignore the fandom but they are just so loud and annoying right now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's not just "they might be gay" its that this is the show that spawned an entire metaverse of fantasy gay fiction to facilitate the who A/B/O thing and tons of extensively detailed possibilities for how two male characters could have a child.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hbomber guy did a video about the "secret johnlock episode" and if I had my druthers he would also do a similar video for this

and even after all... whatever that is!, something?? happened with the Spanish dub???

imagine reading this while only having a cursory knowledge of what your show is about (except that the monsters apparently are all just normal looking dudes??). it's great. again thanks for your teenage show, my tumblr dashboard has been... incredible

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've never heard Misha Collins speak outside of the show, it's weird to hear him without the gravel voice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, he does his regular voice when he plays Jimmy, but as Cas, I'm surprised he hadn't taken the Kevin Conroy route and leave due to throat problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, he does his regular voice when he plays Jimmy, but as Cas, I'm surprised he hadn't taken the Kevin Conroy route and leave due to throat problems.

He mentioned before that if he had known how long he would have been on the show, he never would have used that voice for Cas.