Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sirotan posted:

Jesus christ, fans bullied Jim Beaver off Twitter last night because they were mad Bobby was the only one in Heaven to greet Sam and Dean??? What the gently caress is wrong with this shows "fans"

I guess it tracks that the fanbase would do one more toxic and insane thing before the show's gone. Totally Jim Beaver's fault and not COVID-19 or Jeffrey Dean Morgan's schedule or the writers or a million other factors that made that necessary.

That ending sucked, but I'm not even mad. Of course it was going to suck. The spirit of it was great (it makes sense that Dean might die on some random job, and it makes sense that Sam might go on living to be reunited with him after he dies.) But yeah, that execution was atrocious...it feels like Dean dies a few days after Jack fixes the world, HOW he dies is a ridiculous slog to watch, and then Sam ages through some terrible wigs while frowning for like 35 years. He has a wife and a son, and they are literal non-characters. He does NOTHING else with the multiple decades he continues living.

And of course, Heaven is a 20-square-mile radius of Canadian backwoods. Castiel is mentioned by name and not seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, Jack becoming God and remaking the world begs some serious "problem of evil" questions. He "fixes Heaven," but there are still vampires? At least Chuck's excuse is that he was a sociopath.

I think I'd feel better about the ending if they did a better job of showing complexity and variation in the passage of time. What they showed us looked so spare and uneventful. Sam and Dean are the only people who exist, Dean dies on his first day back on the job, and Sam is alone forever despite having a wife and son that are mostly out-of-focus. COVID hamstrung their choices, but couldn't they have had a little ambition for their last episode? Shown bits and pieces of tons of jobs, maybe suggest that Dean and Sam kept working for years before the vampire's nest happened. Maybe they formed a Hunter network, maybe a ghoul slashed Sam in the face one day and he has a badass scar now. Whatever they could to show that they kept living their lives and stuff happened.

It's mostly so jarring to me that they couldn't be hosed to characterize Sam's invisible wife or son, or elaborate on any aspect of Sam's life after Dean. Like, sure he was sad and incomplete. But maybe he married Eileen, why not? Did he become the new Bobby or just retire outright? Little Dean has a hunter tattoo, is that his life, as well? What does Sam actually do, aside from stare meaningfully at the void his brother left behind?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I never viewed Supernatural as having a “bury your gays” problem so much as “fridging women” problem. Like, they did kill open lesbian Charlie in a bullshit way, but they kill off women characters in general in lovely and unceremonious ways constantly, all to serve Sam or Dean’s man pain.

Mostly, the reactions from queer fans of the show make me sad because that’s how starved they are for representation in a genre space. Sam and Dean are both straight...it isn’t fair to expect a gay plot line involving either because that’s not how the characters were conceived, but *wanting* a gay plot or wishing characters in this setting were gay is a very valid thing.

Queer supernatural romance should happen more. I mean, Anne Rice existed. It’s not without precedent.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

It also sounds like a pretty good role. He's playing Soldier Boy, basically a parody of Captain America, which in the context of The Boys sounds great.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

McSpanky posted:

A Men of Letters period piece was right there

Yes. This was plainly the best option. Though, I also thought Wayward Sisters could've been cool in a Buffy way.

John and Mary is easily the most boring option for a spinoff, though. Aside from the absurd retcons they'll need to do to make the show coherent, at best it'll be the stakes of early SN but with a winking understanding of the wider lore and all the absurd power creep that happens later. The original show already decimated the power of heaven and hell, and then killed God. Another story about a couple of freelance hunters has to cope with that.

Men of Letters would, too, but at least that has a radically different vibe and setting.