Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
The ghostbusters not only successfully proved the existence of an afterlife, but they captured and contained spiritual apparitions. This brings up serious questions about life, souls, religion, and the paranormal that I feel were not properly addressed in the film. Proof of the afterlife alone would have massive repercussions throughout society. And yet the ghostbusters are advertising on tv and running around with unlicensed nuclear reactors on their backs firing particle beams at specters like glorified exterminators.

What would really happen if a ghost was captured and contained? Is it even morally right to do this? Serious academics might want to study these, maybe even communicate with them and find out what happens after death. Me, I would set up a ghost zoo for people to come and see ghosts in a safe environment. Maybe a friendly ghost part for the kids and a scary ghost part with spooky lights and a fog machine, I haven’t thought it all through yet but I’m pretty sure I can make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Management posted:

The ghostbusters not only successfully proved the existence of an afterlife, but they captured and contained spiritual apparitions. This brings up serious questions about life, souls, religion, and the paranormal that I feel were not properly addressed in the film. Proof of the afterlife alone would have massive repercussions throughout society. And yet the ghostbusters are advertising on tv and running around with unlicensed nuclear reactors on their backs firing particle beams at specters like glorified exterminators.

What would really happen if a ghost was captured and contained? Is it even morally right to do this? Serious academics might want to study these, maybe even communicate with them and find out what happens after death. Me, I would set up a ghost zoo for people to come and see ghosts in a safe environment. Maybe a friendly ghost part for the kids and a scary ghost part with spooky lights and a fog machine, I haven’t thought it all through yet but I’m pretty sure I can make it work.

Do dinosaurs have ghosts? Because it sounds like you're setting yourself up for Ghost Jurassic Park

Just imagine that is a ghost in this scene, and it is about to be busted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zboV3_9KY

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Call of Duty Ghosts was a pretty poor entry in the franchise but at this point it's not worth discussing the series much.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

After you and your straight bud j/o for the 6th time in a row and you ghost bust all over the linoleum

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Every time I walk into a scary basement or a spooky place I say "if there are any ghosts here please haunt this space so I can have proof of an afterlife and maybe give this current existence some objective meaning"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those guys still get paid by the hour though. Union bitch.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

The ghostbusters not only successfully proved the existence of an afterlife, but they captured and contained spiritual apparitions. This brings up serious questions about life, souls, religion, and the paranormal that I feel were not properly addressed in the film. Proof of the afterlife alone would have massive repercussions throughout society.
I dunno. Most people already believe in ghosts and angels and there's a statistical certainty that some even believe in leprechauns. But they still get up and go to work, to the gym, the movies etc. and they don't rock the boat too much. You've gotta live your life.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Who cares about the implications? As long as it feels good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If ghosts come from normal humans, if they have a consciousness and can execute their voluntary will, such as but not limited to spookily opening doors and turning on lights at random, it seems to me they should indeed be considered as living beings and thus deserve rights like any other person.

If you don't support ghost rights, what's wrong with you

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

but bustin makes me feel good

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I aint afraid of no ghost

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I dunno. Most people already believe in ghosts and angels and there's a statistical certainty that some even believe in leprechauns. But they still get up and go to work, to the gym, the movies etc. and they don't rock the boat too much. You've gotta live your life.

Sure, but they believe in unprovable fantasies. The ghosts in the laser containment tank can be studied by scientists and shown on tv. Atheists are going to have a hard time denying that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
The military would obviously want to find a way to weaponize the ghosts. Dropping ghost traps from a plane on an Afghan village, then come in later with proton packs and clean up the attack ghosts and all of the newly created ghosts.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always wondered, if you want to take a picture of a ghost, should you use flash? Because at least the ghosts in ghost busters make light, wouldn’t they look better sort of posed, but then it’s like not moving around is not they’re nature. Like, would the flash just go right through them? I mean I’d just try it with the flash off I guess if there was some ghosts because light on light would just wash out the photo or whatever. Are there dayghosts? :thunk: :shrug:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The Management posted:

The military would obviously want to find a way to weaponize the ghosts. Dropping ghost traps from a plane on an Afghan village, then come in later with proton packs and clean up the attack ghosts and all of the newly created ghosts.

The US military already tried to weaponize ghosts

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean we all got our ancestral ghosts in the moon and comets until the moon is sublimated, then we’re told to those we have loved and those who loved us until the children of the sum of our ghosts bound into chaos again.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I want to be part of the the ghost force for Uncle Sam.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I mean we all got our ancestral ghosts in the moon and comets until the moon is sublimated, then we’re told to those we have loved and those who loved us until the children of the sum of our ghosts bound into chaos again.

SHUT UP

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
The EPA guy is the unsung hero of that movie.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

my dog died im sad posted:

nope. reagan administration

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

If ghosts come from normal humans, if they have a consciousness and can execute their voluntary will, such as but not limited to spookily opening doors and turning on lights at random, it seems to me they should indeed be considered as living beings and thus deserve rights like any other person.

If you don't support ghost rights, what's wrong with you

I'm open to the idea in general but I absolutely refuse to grant Slimer human rights. To do so would be an insult to humanity that dilutes the notion of personhood down to nothing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar posted:

I want to be part of the the ghost force for Uncle Sam.
space ghost

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

my dog died im sad posted:

Yeah. Mr. Dick suspects Peck was right, that there aren't any ghosts and that the Ghostbusters are inducing mass hallucinations or somesuch other chicanery . Seems pretty convenient that the first verifiable ghost sighting ever in human history also happened to be their first case.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Ghost sex best sex, OP.

free hubcaps posted:

but bustin makes me feel good

Linux Pirate posted:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's actually illegal to die so the Ghostbusters were right to put those ghosts in jail. Furthermore Slimer was a known sexual predator, and the library ghost was caught in the act committing libel. Sadly she was never caught and could continue her crime spree as the police refused to do anything.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Linux Pirate posted:

If it feels good, bust it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

If you're pro-Buster, you acknowledge that they perform a vital task for the world, similar to pest control. The Ghostbusters also never "destroy" a ghost, unless its a powerful evil spirit like Gozer or Vigo the Carpathian. Any other spirits are merely "trapped' in the containment unit. The events of the first movie show that those ghosts can be let free at any time, seemingly unharmed (Slimer was having a good time eating those hot dogs and by the 2nd movie was *helping* the Ghostbusters, so it can't be that bad in there).

If you're anti-Buster, you most likely fear that the Ghostbusters are trapping "innocent" souls in some kind of nuclear reactor. What if they trap my grandma's ghost? What if they get George Washington's ghost?

Here's my opinion - if your grandma has nothing better to do with her afterlife than float around your attic and stomp on some floorboards, she'd probably have fun in the containment unit. At least she's hanging out with other ghosts and socializing.

That's not even getting into the idea that the ghosts aren't actually souls, but manifestations of psychic energy we leave behind. In that case? The Ghostbusters are basically just removing psychic stains and should be commended for their efforts.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bust'em all and let god sort'em out

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Mozi posted:

Praise God and pass the proton pack.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they do address the metaphysical implications OP, maybe you need to rewatch Ghostbusters

quote:

Brooklyn Bridge
Ecto-1 drives across the bridge. WINSTON drives. RAY is studying blueprints.

WINSTON
Hey, Ray, do you believe in God?

RAY
Never met him.

WINSTON
Yeah, well I do. And I love Jesus's style, you know.

RAY
... this roof cap is made of a magnesium-tungsten alloy...

WINSTON
What are you so involved in there?

RAY
These are the blueprints for the structural ironwork for Dana's apartment building, and they're very, very strange.

WINSTON
Hey, Ray. Do you remember something in the Bible about the last days, when the dead would rise from the grave?

RAY
I remember Revelation 7:12. And I looked, as he opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake, and the sun became as black as sackcloth. And the moon became as blood.

WINSTON
And the seas boiled and the skies fell.

RAY
Judgment Day.

WINSTON
Judgment Day.

RAY
Every ancient religion has its own myth about the end of the world.

WINSTON
Myth? Ray, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is because the dead have been rising from the grave?
long pause

RAY
shivering
How about a little music?

WINSTON
Yeah.
Ecto-1 drives onward.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Slimer belongs in jail. IDGAF if a thousand innocent ghosts get locked up as long as loving Slimer stays in jail.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You see a ghost, you gotta bust! If you don't you too shall be busted, as an accessory to ghost.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh yeah I forgot, every time someone talks about the actual science of sublimation people get lovely because of that one stupid rear end dead guy that was way too popular. If it’s the guy I’m thinking about, his chick got paid by cops to look the other way while that guy tried to do a job on someone and failed, and despite his tenacious alliance with the brotherhood he ended up a ghost himself. He is a ghost he can’t hurt you now nefarious don’t be so s-scared. :tinfoil:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

nope. reagan administration

drat.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
What about a German Goo Girls homage to Ghostbusters for Hallowe’en? Every time some guy nuts, we get a close up of the girls face, she turns to camera and says “he slimed me. I feel so funky’.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

While starting with a strong theme and question about the metaphysical implications of the movie 'Ghost Busters', you lose focus halfway through your own thoughts and speculate about a ghost zoo. A good idea with poor execution.
We expect stronger work at the college level, Mr. Management. C+

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Torquemada posted:

What about a German Goo Girls homage to Ghostbusters for Hallowe’en? Every time some guy nuts, we get a close up of the girls face, she turns to camera and says “he slimed me. I feel so funky’.

Oh lol ok, so then Egon walks in and goes, “whoa whoa whoa that is TOO MUCH cum” and takes a sock of and tosses it to the girl as if she was flailing at sea and a cum sock offering is a life preserver.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

you're all under arrest

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ayn Rand would have loved Ghostbusters. It's a poo poo libertarian propaganda about enslaving the souls of the dead and using unlicensed nuclear reactors in populated centres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mozi posted:

Don’t you get it man, these are God’s rejects. Denied heaven, doomed to walk the earth in ghoulish form. Gozer the destructor is their god now.