Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bakugo with Deku’s personality and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Bakugo with Deku’s personality and vice versa.

I'll do you one better:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They could have given Mina OfA in that but of course they flubbed it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Explosion Momo........

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Explosion Momo........

Momo with a sensible outfit.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
I like Red Riot with One For All

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Electro Froppy. Super Chuuni Todoroki. Dark Flame Tokyami. Timid and useless Bakugo. Badass Momo... I would love a mini-episode or one-shot about every single character in that spread.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Electro Froppy. Super Chuuni Todoroki. Dark Flame Tokyami. Timid and useless Bakugo. Badass Momo... I would love a mini-episode or one-shot about every single character in that spread.

Villain with a personality swap quirk?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Shouldn't Jirou have pink skin and Mina have normal skin if they swapped quirks?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Villain with a personality swap quirk?

One of the volume releases had a joke character page where a villain used a body swap quirk on some of the characters.

Try to guess who is who!

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Rhonne posted:

Try to guess who is who!

Bakugo -> Eraserhead
All-Might -> Kaminari
Deku -> Ida
Ida -> Uraraka
Eraserhead -> All-Might
Uraraka -> Bakugo
Momo -> Tokoyami
Tokoyami -> Mina
Todoroki -> Jiro
Jiro -> Kirishima
Kaminari -> Momo
Kirishima -> Deku
Mirio -> Aoyama
Aoyama -> Mirio
Mina -> Todoroki

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Happy fist pump teeth showing Tokoyami will haunt my nightmares.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Happy fist pump teeth showing Tokoyami will haunt my nightmares.

I appreciate how it's very clear Aizawa really doesn't know how to smile at all so his All Might smile is nightmarish instead of re-assuring.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

give Toru OFA

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Augus posted:

give Toru OFA

I second this motion. Imagine being a villain and suddenly a ball of green lightning charges at you and kicks the poo poo out of you in a completely incomprehensible way. I'd reform right there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One For All?

One Frog All.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, I'm a big dumb nerd who likes power levels and who can beat who discussions, at least when it comes to stuff like this.

I only watched up to the Overhaul Arc and I need to finish the rest of Season 4. But I do know of the High End Nomu fight with Endeavor. watched it already per request of a friend.

So the difference between All Might/All For One and everybody else is vast. But Endeavor was still the #2 Hero and the Nomu took him for all he was worth.

Is High End stronger than USJ Nomu? Is he the strongest non-AFO antagonist we've seen?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So, I'm a big dumb nerd who likes power levels and who can beat who discussions, at least when it comes to stuff like this.

I only watched up to the Overhaul Arc and I need to finish the rest of Season 4. But I do know of the High End Nomu fight with Endeavor. watched it already per request of a friend.

So the difference between All Might/All For One and everybody else is vast. But Endeavor was still the #2 Hero and the Nomu took him for all he was worth.

Is High End stronger than USJ Nomu? Is he the strongest non-AFO antagonist we've seen?

In terms of raw physical ability? Yeah, probably. Flies, regenerates, doesn't give a poo poo about pain, shapeshifts - even if you assume that the USJ Nomu is more physically resilient thanks to the shock absorption, you'd still probably rather be dealing with it than High-End.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

But Endeavor was still the #2 Hero

Being the number 2 hero doesn't mean you're the second strongest, it means you rank second highest according to an accreditation service. Total cases solved (Endeavor was apparently #1 at that), merchandizing, glad-handing, generally being inspiring, there's a ton of politics that goes into the rankings.

But yeah, High End was crazy strong.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And in terms of raw combat prowess, Endeavor probably has as compelling an argument to being the strongest non-All Might hero as anybody - which of course is not to say that he was at all in All Might's league.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For all we know High End did have shock absorption, it just never came up. But yeah, it's certainly stronger than the USJ Nomu.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
USJ Nomu is also kind of an idiot. Planning and logic in the High End model? Yikes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think in terms of pure physical specs, USJ Noumu is stronger, since it was literally made to fight All Might, and even after All Might went beyond the limits of his remaining OFA to beat it, the thing was still physically fine. Even in his nerfed state, All Might was still the strongest hero around by a long shot, so the fact that USJ Noumu could trade blows with him says a lot about its strength.

The Highend did do more property damage which makes it feel more destructive, but I feel that's more a case of the two Noumus fighting different opponents in different locations. All Might's fighting style is pretty much taking any blow that the enemy tosses at him, so the USJ Noumu didn't really need to target anything else, whereas Endeavor was flying around and fighting in an urban area with buildings and poo poo.

On the other hand, USJ Noumu was dumber than a sack of bricks, and only managed to hurt All Might because Kurogiri was backing it up. Meanwhile, the Highend was capable of thinking, and actively sought out fights due to its battle-hungry nature.

So I'd say that USJ Noumu was more powerful, but Highend was far more dangerous.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I will never stop asking for "Into the Deku-verse".

I still want to see a story where Deku goes full Iron Man/Batman to be a hero instead of getting OFA, but I heard there's a spin-off character who does that or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
S5 trailer! Coming Spring 2021!

https://twitter.com/animetv_jp/status/1312316497419735041

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I still want to see a story where Deku goes full Iron Man/Batman to be a hero instead of getting OFA, but I heard there's a spin-off character who does that or something?

One of the characters in Vigilantes is just a really buff quirkless dude who uses knuckledusters to beat the poo poo out of criminals. There's even a bit where (early-spoilers) he gets into a fight with Aizawa about being a vigilante who realises he doesn't have a quirk and just lets him go. Because I guess regular vigilantism isn't something heroes can deal with if its not involving quirks or something?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Nephthys posted:

One of the characters in Vigilantes is just a really buff quirkless dude who uses knuckledusters to beat the poo poo out of criminals. There's even a bit where (early-spoilers) he gets into a fight with Aizawa about being a vigilante who realises he doesn't have a quirk and just lets him go. Because I guess regular vigilantism isn't something heroes can deal with if its not involving quirks or something?

Makes sense in a way. I haven't read any of the spinoff, but given the world building the Heroes system seems like it was designed when quirks were just starting to become a thing to prevent an X-Men situation. Heroes deal with quirk crimes, search and rescue, but they're not the police. Licensing, training, promotion and merchandising all come along with the agreement to not overstep boundaries and get in the way of (at the time) the majority of normal people. Generations later, quirks are the supermajority of the population, but the same traditional divide exists.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I've always wondered if the U.S.'s premier hero academy was just MHA-world's version of Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youth.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nephthys posted:

The implication I got from that scene was heroes aren’t really intended to fight crime, per se, just either use their quirks for assistance in emergency relief or act as a hard counter for criminals using their own quirks. Regular crime, like a dude who just goes around beating the poo poo out of people with normal unaugmented human strength, is not part of their job because they aren’t actually law enforcement.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I agree. You never see a hero stop a purse snatcher or whatever. There’s no friendly neighborhood Spider-Man here. Gentle got attention, as did those four guys who robbed a convenience store, sure, but by using their quirks, they escalated to the point where heroes were allowed to intervene.

I mean, Deku and Lemillion ALMOST intervened to save a small child, but stepping in against obvious child abuse and stepping in against a bar fight or some guy are very different.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

PMush Perfect posted:

There’s no friendly neighborhood Spider-Man here.

Of course not. He's called the Cruller. Who, incidentally, stops purse snatchers with his Quirk and gets in big trouble for it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Technowolf posted:

I've always wondered if the U.S.'s premier hero academy was just MHA-world's version of Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youth.

The parallels to X-Mena are many but the important difference is MHA has progressed passed the Mutant/Quirk Pogrom Stage. In fact, Professor X was right is the message of MHA. It makes MHA stand out a bit.

I wonder if there was ever a Quirk Magneto.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing about MHA's world that's funny is that it kinda proves that registration is not that big of a deal.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fabricated posted:

The thing about MHA's world that's funny is that it kinda proves that registration is not that big of a deal.

At least, when the amount of superpowered people greatly outnumber the non-superpowered people as opposed to the other way around which is what every "Mutant registration" story was.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

At least, when the amount of superpowered people greatly outnumber the non-superpowered people as opposed to the other way around which is what every "Mutant registration" story was.

That's the sort of crux to the whole thing. The majority being registered and regulated is an enormously different situation compared to the minority being registered and regulated paritally because of the historical context of minorities being registered and tracked and the motivation and consequences for it. It's especially relevant for the X-Men, not just because of the above, but because it was a deliberate story point influenced by the creators, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, who were both Jewish and children of immigrants.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

e: nevermind lol

wonder when in 2021 we're getting the new season... or if. It seems more and more of the stuff we previously were getting next year is getting pushed back further these days. I also gotta read vigilantes one of these days, where in the story does it start/continue into? I'm kind of just fine waiting for the anime to continue the story and I don't want to pick up the manga itself for the main series yet.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 7, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

wonder when in 2021 we're getting the new season... or if. It seems more and more of the stuff we previously were getting next year is getting pushed back further these days. I also gotta read vigilantes one of these days, where in the story does it start/continue into? I'm kind of just fine waiting for the anime to continue the story and I don't want to pick up the manga itself for the main series yet.

It takes place a few years before the start of the series and doesn't really effect anything in the main manga. Read it, it's good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Babe Magnet posted:

April.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dope

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So an earlier poser reminded me that the Hero Rankings aren't just about power which is a fact I often overlook because the relationship between All Might #1 and Endeavor #2 is explicitly all about power levels. That said, I'm fairly certain Endeavor is absolutely the strongest Pro other than All Might, isn't he?

Then again, some of the kids in MHA are so absurdly strong that they might surpass almost all the Pros we know of. Who could have taken down Overhaul like Izuku did with his Infinite 100%?

I know it might be cringe to reference Naruto but it's a good contrast here because in Part 1, even the best ninja kids were only on par with maybe a fodder Jounin. The "Pro Ninjas" were all in a different league from any of the kids, even monsters like Gaara or Naruto. In MHA, the kids are already way above many of the adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Even excepting the people like Todoroki and Deku with completely 1000% busted quirks, I'm pretty sure it's said in-universe at some point that Bakugo's combat prowess is on a pro level. He's just got a lack of experience and, uh... other issues he needs to work on. (Also he's like 15 and it shows.)