Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
okay this is amazing, tried some quest stuff and was nice and didn't get sick (until i tried a vr youtube of a rollercoaster, gently caress that) then tried link and works amazing with the cheaper cable i got.

Now while i'm waiting for the lenses (because i'm sure the only glasses i could find the fit in the headset are touching the lenses) I was wondering is there any mods to help comfort, etc? I saw some youtubes where they looked unrecognisable but is that just youtubers pimping there vr-rides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Myssu posted:

Thanks! It was originally pitched under the name "Canoe Commandos"!

:aaa:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-holographic-vr-glasses/

The prototype isn't even RGB, before anyone gets excited.

Ugh Anthony Fantano is so annoying

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

by.a.teammate posted:

okay this is amazing, tried some quest stuff and was nice and didn't get sick (until i tried a vr youtube of a rollercoaster, gently caress that) then tried link and works amazing with the cheaper cable i got.

Now while i'm waiting for the lenses (because i'm sure the only glasses i could find the fit in the headset are touching the lenses) I was wondering is there any mods to help comfort, etc? I saw some youtubes where they looked unrecognisable but is that just youtubers pimping there vr-rides?

To some degree it's overkill, but depending on what you care about there are a few things that do make a difference. One thing that will help basically everyone is adding a counterweight to the back; the Quest is front heavy, so if you add something hanging off the back strap, it'll feel more balanced on your head (and subjectively lighter). Anything works for this, I have a battery pack that I use velcro straps to hold on. You can also replace the facial interface, something like VRCover for example. It might fit your face shape better, and for me the fake leather is nicer because it doesn't absorb sweat and I can just wipe it off. If you think that using glasses is kind of annoying, you can also get prescription lens inserts. Then there's headphones if you don't like the default speakers ofc.

I would say these are the more standard things people mess with, getting beyond this with stuff like the vive deluxe audio strap replacements and stuff like halos and then other stuff like fans and junk is starting to get into the "modding for the sake of modding" category which is fine if that's what you're into but it's not going to make a huge difference.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spent a few good hours with my Rift S last night and holy gently caress its amazing.

Audica is fuckin awesome and I love me some Guitar Hero with guns.

BoxVR was actually a lot of fun too for a workout game. I played about 15 min of it and then quickly ordered this,

https://vrcover.com/product/silicone-cover-for-oculus-rift-s/

I fuckin sweat a lot anyway so I feel I should have just bought it first. They have a cloth cover too but I opted for the Silicone one.

Updating Elite now and I can't wait to get into that.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Re Quest mods, I'd suggest Index-style knuckle straps. Not having to grip the controllers at all times has been a huge QoL improvement for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vive DAS is the best mod for Quest if you can find one at a reasonable price.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

seravid posted:

Re Quest mods, I'd suggest Index-style knuckle straps. Not having to grip the controllers at all times has been a huge QoL improvement for me.

Did this with amvr ones. Awesome move

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend shipped his Index to me prior to him moving back locally so I get to try it out. Forgot that it has those sensors to setup. I might not even have enough room for them, but also do I need a power source for them? Need to think about how to get them setup without mounting anything to the wall since it's temporary.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Are there any recommendations for straps for the Quest? I'm looking into a glasses spacer and some prescription lens inserts so I don't have to have my glasses on. Max out my QoL.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

KingKapalone posted:

My friend shipped his Index to me prior to him moving back locally so I get to try it out. Forgot that it has those sensors to setup. I might not even have enough room for them, but also do I need a power source for them? Need to think about how to get them setup without mounting anything to the wall since it's temporary.

Just use tape and put them on bookshelves or something like that, the power-cables are also quite long so you probably wont have any issue finding somewhere to plug them in.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Deeturbomber posted:

Are there any recommendations for straps for the Quest? I'm looking into a glasses spacer and some prescription lens inserts so I don't have to have my glasses on. Max out my QoL.

The DAS is recommended a lot, but I have a friend who purchased one of these recently and swears by it. https://www.magp90.com/Comfort-Strap-for-Oculus-Quest-2020-Latest-Version-p1161984.html

There are some halo strap mods out there before that were cheap FDM 3d printed and broke, but apparently this one is really good and sturdy. Worth a look for anyone that doesn't want to drop DAS prices and trying to find one.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

KingKapalone posted:

Hey! Watch this video, but essentially, you can use the vive sensors near floor height and they WILL work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubW6Pxlm7g

In the video he says there is a reason valve says you should mount them high and he doesn't know why, but it's because of the sensors inside the lighthouse. They are sensitive and spin at a high RPM, so you don't want to be stomping on the floor and have that reverberate to the lighthouse.

So you can put them on a desk or something, no bigs, and you could even put them on a couple of big books with a blanket on the floor to absorb some shock.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tom Guycot posted:

The DAS is recommended a lot, but I have a friend who purchased one of these recently and swears by it. https://www.magp90.com/Comfort-Strap-for-Oculus-Quest-2020-Latest-Version-p1161984.html

There are some halo strap mods out there before that were cheap FDM 3d printed and broke, but apparently this one is really good and sturdy. Worth a look for anyone that doesn't want to drop DAS prices and trying to find one.

Hmmm I might try this.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000093069884.html

$36 on aliexpress atm with a bunch of good reviews

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 1, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Penpal posted:

Hey! Watch this video, but essentially, you can use the vive sensors near floor height and they WILL work.

In the video he says there is a reason valve says you should mount them high and he doesn't know why, but it's because of the sensors inside the lighthouse. They are sensitive and spin at a high RPM, so you don't want to be stomping on the floor and have that reverberate to the lighthouse.

So you can put them on a desk or something, no bigs, and you could even put them on a couple of big books with a blanket on the floor to absorb some shock.

Wow that's a skinny boy. Thanks.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Have the Valve index base stations not been stocked for months now or did I just miss the time(s) they did? I'd like to get two more stations so I can use them for sitting VR in a separate room without having to move and thus redo my whole room scale setup. I'm not even sure if it's possible to do this but I suppose there's only one way to find out.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

I actually meant the hand-straps to allow the whole not-having-to-grip-the-controllers thing since it was mentioned a few posts earlier. I probably should be looking into that as well, though. Right now my priorities are glasses spacer, prescription inserts, controller straps, and then probably anything else after.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Jan posted:

Have the Valve index base stations not been stocked for months now or did I just miss the time(s) they did? I'd like to get two more stations so I can use them for sitting VR in a separate room without having to move and thus redo my whole room scale setup. I'm not even sure if it's possible to do this but I suppose there's only one way to find out.

I believe vive stations work fine with index, they do however have a smaller play area

So you night wanna look into buying a couple of those if you can't get your hand on index ones

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 1, 2020

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Kamrat posted:

I believe vive stations work fine with index, they do however have a smaller play area

Which I suppose is fine if it's for seated play anyway (stuff like Elite Dangerous, Overload or Rez).

e: ah, but there's this caveat:

quote:

Original HTC Vive base stations that use SteamVR 1.0 tracking and Valve Index base stations that use SteamVR 2.0 tracking cannot be used together in the same VR setup. If you want to enjoy a setup with more than two base stations for an enormous play area, you will have to opt for the newer SteamVR 2.0 hardware.

And the SteamVR 2.0 is also out of stock on VIVE's page. :negative:

Jan fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 1, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kamrat posted:

Jan posted:

Which I suppose is fine if it's for seated play anyway (stuff like Elite Dangerous, Overload or Rez).

The difference is not that big. The reason I have 3 isn't larger playspace, its purely for better tracking and more points for it to hit. HTC/Valve branding don't matter for 99.99% of the users who buy them. In fact, they have the same sub par quality control on both sides.

This is assuming we're talking about the 2.0 ones.

1.0 yeah its not as good and you cant add more than 2. But I still stand by it dont matter for most people if you're just using 2. I've been in a 20x20 cube with 1.0 and had some of the best tracking ever.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Deeturbomber posted:

I actually meant the hand-straps to allow the whole not-having-to-grip-the-controllers thing since it was mentioned a few posts earlier. I probably should be looking into that as well, though. Right now my priorities are glasses spacer, prescription inserts, controller straps, and then probably anything else after.

The Quest ships with a glasses spacer. Was it not enough for you? You take off the face plate, toss in the spacer, and then re-attach the face plate. It gives you a little bit of extra depth within the headset for your glasses.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Penpal posted:

The reason they are recommended on the ceiling is the same reason lights and WiFi systems work best on the ceiling, your body blocks less of the source.
For rooms this means less shadows, WiFi means stronger signal and LH tracking it means better sensor visibility of the base stations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

blunt posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000093069884.html

$36 on aliexpress atm with a bunch of good reviews

Grabbed one, thanks. I'm hoping this will allow me to retire the sand bag.

Deeturbomber posted:

I'm using the Kiwi Design straps and they're fine, though I found the suggested installation method too restrictive.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

seravid posted:

I'm using the Kiwi Design straps and they're fine, though I found the suggested installation method too restrictive.

Have these, and the mamut ones.

Mamut ones have more like, customization ability, but swapping batteries is a pain.
Kiwi ones, are simple af in general, but yeah not as many strap movement options.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The Mamut definitely look like the better choice, but I couldn't justify the price.

The trick for me for the Kiwi's was to simply not strap the index finger. The controllers are still secure and both my index and thumb can reach everything comfortably. It's not perfect, but it's Good Enough.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Deeturbomber posted:

I use the AMVR ones. Work great, a bit of a pain to change batteries but otherwise infinitely better than no hand straps at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Luneshot posted:

I use the AMVR ones. Work great, a bit of a pain to change batteries but otherwise infinitely better than no hand straps at all.

Thanks I saw amazon had them for $26 so I pulled the trigger.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
Those head straps look great, just can’t decide if get it for £60 from amazon now or wait a month for the £40 from China. Being in the uk does limit things with vr addons since they seem to mainly be sold in the USA.

Also anyone in the uk got a link to a good cable for link ? I got a 3m one and it definitely ain’t long enough

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 1, 2020

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Nalin posted:

The Quest ships with a glasses spacer. Was it not enough for you? You take off the face plate, toss in the spacer, and then re-attach the face plate. It gives you a little bit of extra depth within the headset for your glasses.

I bought my Quest secondhand and realized too late it didn't have it in the box. I spoke with Oculus support to see if they can get me another, but it's taking a while for obvious reasons.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:getin:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

source?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, probably unity

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

by.a.teammate posted:

Those head straps look great, just can’t decide if get it for £60 from amazon now or wait a month for the £40 from China. Being in the uk does limit things with vr addons since they seem to mainly be sold in the USA.

Also anyone in the uk got a link to a good cable for link ? I got a 3m one and it definitely ain’t long enough
Annoyingly the Amazon UK one also charges £15 for shipping and says it ships from China, so that's not that far off DAS territory. The Aliexpress page looks like there's an alternate eye mask in there? Anyone know how well these things work with glasses?

That said, looking at doing a FrankenQuest in the UK doesn't seem to be much better, there's a single place selling 3d printed conversion kits in the EU as far as I can tell, and for far more than the equivalent in the US.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Just setup my friend's Index and it thinks the floor is just above my knees. Did the setup again and got the same thing, but also now it loads up the game or SteamVR room and the "front" of the game is behind me.

Maybe the floor thing is because I'm sort of cheating the room size setup. I'm including my desktop area underneath my hand as I scan since it's the only way to fit it. Maybe the upper left front corner sensor doesn't have line of sight to the controllers when I lay them on the ground? If I put my head on the ground I can see the sensors though.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Talkie Toaster posted:

Annoyingly the Amazon UK one also charges £15 for shipping and says it ships from China, so that's not that far off DAS territory. The Aliexpress page looks like there's an alternate eye mask in there? Anyone know how well these things work with glasses?

That said, looking at doing a FrankenQuest in the UK doesn't seem to be much better, there's a single place selling 3d printed conversion kits in the EU as far as I can tell, and for far more than the equivalent in the US.

Dammit didn’t see that charge ! Aliexpress it is !

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

by.a.teammate posted:

Europe in general, really, it's pretty annoying.

As for the cable, I'm using an AmazonBasics 1.8m one with an AmazonBasics 3m extension. Works fine (1.9Gbps) and it's as cheap as you can get, though the extension is a little stiff.

Talkie Toaster posted:

The Aliexpress page looks like there's an alternate eye mask in there? Anyone know how well these things work with glasses?

I'll let you know :eng101:

...in 20-40 days :eng99:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Fixed the height of the floor thing, but why does it keep loading things behind me? I point my controller at my monitor like it says so I assume things should be loading in front of me.

The first time I did setup, it worked fine, but I had to run setup again to fix the floor problem. I've run it a few times since but not fixed.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 1, 2020

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
No, this is on purpose. Your playspace is rotated away from your monitor, so you don't smash it the first time you play Beat Saber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why Does HL Alyx keep giving me low Video card memory pop ups? Like I have a 1080Ti with 11gigs and nothing else running.

I don't notice any issues when I'm playing the game (its fuckin creepy btw) so the pop up seems weird?