Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNfx9YWJguM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a good face foam replacement cover for the Rift S that actually includes the plastic part that connects to the device/doesn't involve mangling all of the foam off? Kind of looking for something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YRK7X9V?pf_rd_r=Z67GKKEHW4T3X725Y7W6&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee but the way it fits looks sloppy and installing it involves ripping the mask apart. Really not interested in something I might not like that involves damaging the existing headset, and the silicone options aren't that appealing since PSVR uses silicone and I think it's more prone to getting foggy lenses. Really would prefer some nice breathable pleather pre install on a new plastic guard.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Yo WHAT THE gently caress

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1291466241526308864?s=21

HITMAN 1-3 VR HOLY poo poo

Whaat.

Cool as hell. Although I wonder if they will tweak the gameplay as needed. They are games designed for third person, you need it to watch the guards patrol around a wall, and stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwjdl6vpxGU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

Whaat.

Cool as hell. Although I wonder if they will tweak the gameplay as needed. They are games designed for third person, you need it to watch the guards patrol around a wall, and stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwjdl6vpxGU

Using a mirror on a stick to peek around corners could be pretty sweet in VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Taintrunner posted:

Yo WHAT THE gently caress

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1291466241526308864?s=21

HITMAN 1-3 VR HOLY poo poo

This is so loving huge holy poo poo, all 3 games in VR oh my god I'm so happy

Please please be on PC VR too not exclusive PSVR don't you dare

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, my first thought is they better put some thought into this. A lot of how the game works won't be clear from VR and will need adjustment.

That said, it could definitely be modded. The game may end up being easier in VR as a result, or may just have enough VR elements to let you play by all the same rules. We'll see.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, my first thought is they better put some thought into this. A lot of how the game works won't be clear from VR and will need adjustment.

It's hard to predict, since IO Interactive feels like a company with two different sides. One side is very careful, puts a lot of thought into its designs and always produces high quality features. The other side has the beginnings of an idea but doesn't follow through on it or even really polish it, which is how we end up with things like the Hitman 2 multiplayer. Hopefully VR is more the former than the latter, but if it is a PSVR exclusive then I'm not optimistic they'd put that much time into it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

That said, it could definitely be modded. The game may end up being easier in VR as a result, or may just have enough VR elements to let you play by all the same rules. We'll see.

The fact that they're releasing all three games fully playable in VR makes me think it probably has no new mechanics for VR and is just going to be a third person VR game like Hellblade. Doing anything else would be a ton of work to do across all three games.

But even that would be pretty neat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tip posted:

The fact that they're releasing all three games fully playable in VR makes me think it probably has no new mechanics for VR and is just going to be a third person VR game like Hellblade. Doing anything else would be a ton of work to do across all three games.

But even that would be pretty neat.

I wasn't saying new VR mechanics, you're missing me.

Either

A) They add a bunch of new VR style displays to give you the same HUD style info you normally have but in ways that are clear in VR, plus VR gestures to control existing things

or

B) They turn down or off mechanics in normal gameplay when you're in VR, effectively making the game easier

Or some combination therein. Because of the way the engine works, either of those options will apply across all levels, you don't have to go back and edit the old games. You just have to pick which features to either turn off, or have some other way of rendering to the player in VR.

It definitely won't be third person. The trailer made that clear. I mean, given that does look very cinematic and not really like a gameplay trailer, but I still would call bullshit false advertising if they end up making it purely 3rd person after that. The intent of the trailer is definitely to tell you that you can go first person and walk around. Normal Hitman doesn't let you look at martini glasses close-up like that.

E: Yeah

quote:

Playing in VR will literally change the way you play with a first-person perspective that lets you immerse yourself into the game world. Stand face-to-face with your targets, blend-in to a busy crowd to overhear conversations and interact with the game world using your hands. For example, imagine that you’ve picked up a frying pan and you sneak up on a guard. You can swing the frying pan in whatever angle you want to knock them out – and then use it to deflect bullets that are fired as you make your escape.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 7, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

A) They add a bunch of new VR style displays to give you the same HUD style info you normally have but in ways that are clear in VR, plus VR gestures to control existing things

You can play Hitman with all HUD elements disabled - objectively the best way to play - so at least in theory that part isn't a problem.

That quote is definitely encouraging.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deflecting bullets with a frying pan is also something you can't do in flatscreen hitman right now (maybe they'll add it in 3 but seems unlikely)

Gotta love it when VR adds little gameplay advantages, like being able to shoot over your head or behind your back while cracking a safe in payday 2.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't saying new VR mechanics, you're missing me.

Either

or

B) They turn down or off mechanics in normal gameplay when you're in VR, effectively making the game easier

Or some combination therein. Because of the way the engine works, either of those options will apply across all levels, you don't have to go back and edit the old games. You just have to pick which features to either turn off, or have some other way of rendering to the player in VR.

It definitely won't be third person. The trailer made that clear. I mean, given that does look very cinematic and not really like a gameplay trailer, but I still would call bullshit false advertising if they end up making it purely 3rd person after that. The intent of the trailer is definitely to tell you that you can go first person and walk around. Normal Hitman doesn't let you look at martini glasses close-up like that.

E: Yeah

I somehow missed the YouTube video, I was just going off the vague tweets. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear they went through the trouble of implementing hand interactions and all that good stuff.

Looks neat! I really hope it makes it's way to PC because I'm never buying a PSVR.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I am drawing inexorably closer to buying a PSVR, mostly because Sony are successfully holding on to their VR exclusives. Yes, I know this is how they win. Fortunately I also really like the headset, but I can't deny it's pretty dated now.

Hopefully soon they'll either announce a PSVR2 for PS5 or that they're not doing PSVR2 for PS5, since either of those might potentially bring the price of the old ones down.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Turin Turambar posted:

They are games designed for third person, you need it to watch the guards patrol around a wall, and stuff like that.

The Hitman games already have a button you can hold to see people through walls.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I'd be really disappointed if Hitman VR never made it to PC, the odds of me ever spending money on a PSVR are zero.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh poo poo i thought they were releasing Hitman 1,2&3 as in the original ones, not Hitman 1,2&3 as in the new ones. That's cool, hope it doesn't stay forever on PSVR though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Hopefully soon they'll either announce a PSVR2 for PS5 or that they're not doing PSVR2 for PS5, since either of those might potentially bring the price of the old ones down.

It's definitely A Thing, just not at launch. Sony's had its fair share of patents floating about for some really good-looking VR controller tech.

Also if you want in on PSVR, wait for a sale. The hardware goes down to at least 50% off a few times a year.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Unfortunately I feel like the list of PSVR exclusives that ever made it to PCVR is very short. Rez Infinite, and... that might be it?

Hard to know whether that's because Sony demanded perpetual exclusivity or whether the publishers just felt they didn't make enough money on PSVR to justify the work of a PCVR port.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think part of the Hitman thing was also a non-VR first person mode. So they're probably putting effort into that balance idea at least.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Is there any reason to think that hitman would be an exclusive or is this more of a, 'dont you do this to me' thing?

I know a lot of people disable it but I abuse the hell out of assassin vision and have 0 regrets about it, so Im 100% all for this incredible announcement.

Optimistic Puma
Aug 7, 2007
Where did the seagulls take my sister?
I just got a PSVR and my mom is really interested in playing it. I got her playing the demo for Job Simulator and, completely on accident, Resident Evil 7. She's not terribly good with the PS4 controller but can handle the Move controllers okay. Since I already owned it, we're kind of going through the first part of Resident Evil 7 with me handling the controls and her with the headset. She likes it a lot but I'm a little worried how to play once things get hectic. Anyway, I'm looking into games that are more accessible. Here are some of my choices I'm interested in:

Job Simulator / Vacation Simulator - I like this a lot and thought it was cute as hell. My mother could control it easily, but I'm concerned with the price to game length ratio. I think I'm more interested in Vacation since it's supposedly a longer game.

Space Channel 5 VR - I'm a huge fan of Space Channel 5 and my mom has shown interest in the when I played it in the past. Supposedly it's just okay? It's on sale so I was thinking of picking this up with the Miku DLC.

I don't know if this is worth mentioning but my mom is in her early 60s and is in really good shape. However, she's been having some back problems so anything that involves a lot of twisting can be ruled out. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

Unfortunately I feel like the list of PSVR exclusives that ever made it to PCVR is very short. Rez Infinite, and... that might be it?

Hard to know whether that's because Sony demanded perpetual exclusivity or whether the publishers just felt they didn't make enough money on PSVR to justify the work of a PCVR port.

tetris?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
VRChat's Avatar 3.0 Update is now live :magical:.

It's a full rebuild of the interface for avatars, so as to create a standardized, multi-layer, native system for all the hacky fun stuff people managed with old avatars. "2.0" avatars still work fine, these are just the new hotness. It actually lets people use fun things like animation triggers, so you're not fumbling between copies of the same prop model.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

VRChat's Avatar 3.0 Update is now live :magical:.

It's a full rebuild of the interface for avatars, so as to create a standardized, multi-layer, native system for all the hacky fun stuff people managed with old avatars. "2.0" avatars still work fine, these are just the new hotness. It actually lets people use fun things like animation triggers, so you're not fumbling between copies of the same prop model.

Jeez, more stuff to learn. I will hit you up on my next build. Probably the Maxx or one of the outback animals in the comic. When do you usually get on vrchat?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

Jeez, more stuff to learn. I will hit you up on my next build. Probably the Maxx or one of the outback animals in the comic. When do you usually get on vrchat?

I'm on most nights just to chill out and relax. Same username in-game as the one in the VR Goon Discord.

I still need to learn how to build Avatar 3.0 content myself, and rebuild a buuuunch of avatars, but it's looking fantastic just poking at the basics and picking up stuff from the VRChat discord.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

NRVNQSR posted:

Skyrim VR was exclusive for a while too, but I think it was announced up front that it was a timed exclusive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gentleman Baller posted:

Is there any reason to think that hitman would be an exclusive or is this more of a, 'dont you do this to me' thing?

I know a lot of people disable it but I abuse the hell out of assassin vision and have 0 regrets about it, so Im 100% all for this incredible announcement.

They haven't used the word "exclusive" yet at all so I'm very hopeful. That said, I've been burned before lol, so its a "don't you do this to me" thing.

Until they say PC VR support we'll have to be waiting on baited breath, but hopefully its just that they aren't committing to any specific Oculus or Valve VR platform yet and will be working on those after release?

As long as its not exclusive even if it isn't in at launch, if the game has VR support on PSVR, I can't see them not doing it eventually. So Exclusivity is the only real danger here. And they'd probably be saying that already if it was true? I hope? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

They haven't used the word "exclusive" yet at all so I'm very hopeful. That said, I've been burned before lol, so its a "don't you do this to me" thing.

Until they say PC VR support we'll have to be waiting on baited breath, but hopefully its just that they aren't committing to any specific Oculus or Valve VR platform yet and will be working on those after release?

As long as its not exclusive even if it isn't in at launch, if the game has VR support on PSVR, I can't see them not doing it eventually. So Exclusivity is the only real danger here. And they'd probably be saying that already if it was true? I hope? :ohdear:

It really depends on how they build it; There's an absolute possibility it could be as basic as gamepad controls and a first-person perspective, but we may get lucky here and they use (or develop as an option) a proper hand-controller interface with the Moves teleporting about. Coming in 2021 means it's out after the PS5, so there has to surely be at least some forward-planning for PSVR2, and the DualSense doesn't exactly look set up for being tracked by the Move Camera.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really depends on how they build it; There's an absolute possibility it could be as basic as gamepad controls and a first-person perspective, but we may get lucky here and they use (or develop as an option) a proper hand-controller interface with the Moves teleporting about. Coming in 2021 means it's out after the PS5, so there has to surely be at least some forward-planning for PSVR2, and the DualSense doesn't exactly look set up for being tracked by the Move Camera.

Ahem.

Zaphod42 posted:

Playing in VR will literally change the way you play with a first-person perspective that lets you immerse yourself into the game world. Stand face-to-face with your targets, blend-in to a busy crowd to overhear conversations and interact with the game world using your hands. For example, imagine that you’ve picked up a frying pan and you sneak up on a guard. You can swing the frying pan in whatever angle you want to knock them out – and then use it to deflect bullets that are fired as you make your escape.

Move controls already confirmed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should announce the launch of useable controllers to compliment the launch of Hitman. Then again thats what I thought they'd do with Skyrim and here we are 2 years later. Tbh if they made better controllers paired with the added power of PS5 they could probably get some more use out of the existing headsets.

Also I doubt Hitman VR is exclusive to PSVR or the trailer would have said something like "only available on PSVR" and there was nothing like that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

we'll have to be waiting on baited breath

:can:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahem.

Move controls already confirmed.

I look forward to getting to murder Sean Bean with my bare hands then :unsmigghh:.

(He's in Hitman 2 as a target. As himself. Because apparently even Sean Bean knows that Sean Bean dies in everything he's in).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah if this was a PSV game this would be the first announcement we've got that PSV is getting VR at all. I think that they would have said something by now, they have the most units sold of any VR headset and a pretty good library. They might be willing to stick to the current one tho, just figure out how to make it work with the new hardware.

Or drop it, just like they dropped 3D once we left PS3 :v:

Also whoever compared VR headset market to the TV market is wildly off - a TV is almost a given in a house. That's why there was competition on the market and why prices got slashed, plus a lot of behind our back stuff, like tv manufacturers getting paid a lot of money to put the "smart" apps on their products etc.

A VR is and will be niche - it's not even fair to compare them to consoles, I think the more atp comparison would be photography. Sure, you can be happy with the pictures you take with your phone (flatscreen gaming) but enthusiasts will sometimes shell out extra for a more involved experience of a good quality camera (VR). While there is some hassle for better effects in both areas, let's just focus on the market: you basically have 3 companies in both and while yes, quality will increase as the years go on, the price will stay. The entry barrier is still the hardware and that disqualifies it for most people. It doesn't simplify things, it makes them more immersive but also complex. And nobody got time for that.

EDIT: Meanwhile I just discovered that you can load up custom songs on Beat Saber on the Quest, time for some finally good music.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kikas posted:

Yeah if this was a PSV game this would be the first announcement we've got that PSV is getting VR at all. I think that they would have said something by now, they have the most units sold of any VR headset and a pretty good library. They might be willing to stick to the current one tho, just figure out how to make it work with the new hardware.

They have already said that the current PSVR, move controllers and camera will work on the PS5 - though that's in the context of backwards compatibility with PS4 rather than any commitment to new VR games on PS5.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kikas posted:

Nah, PSVR's waaaay too outdated now tech-wise, and if studios build for it on PS5 they have to support it forever. Plus if they were gonna do it that way, it would've been advertised from the beginning rather than the way it has been. Whatever form PSVR2's gonna take really has to be built properly from the ground up just to play catch-up with the rest of the market so they can get proper multiplatform releases. The real tell will be how the PSVR2 controllers end up tracking, because there IS a Move camera with the PS5, but I can't see Sony hamstringing themselves again for relying just upon that for tracking. Especially as the DualSense doesn't look to be trackable that way either with no forward light.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Good news, steam support put me back near my old spot in the queue and I should expect a "We're going to charge you a grand" email later this week.

Then maybe it will be here before September. Maybe.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

8one6 posted:

Good news, steam support put me back near my old spot in the queue and I should expect a "We're going to charge you a grand" email later this week.

Then maybe it will be here before September. Maybe.

Once you get the e-mail and pay, you'll get it pretty quickly.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
^ thats good customer service

It was me, I compared it to TVs. I know it isn't a 1:1 but it's a niche market until its not

Hell, TVs are even wilder. Screens in general. I'm genX. We had one. It was black and white. Now in my house with my own kids? I can't accurately count how many screens there are. Like, out, there's maybe 10? Right now? Plugged in? Not including phones and tablets? Just monitors attached to things.

Maybe thats not the average but a TV in every room isn't abnormal. I don't have 10 rooms here. ANyway. point being. 400$ for a top of the line VR headset. The original atari was 200$ back in the early 80s which is like near 900$ right now. That drat headset could, if someone wanted to, be a virtual arcade of every game excluding the few that you sat in and moved around you. By itself. With memory to spare for virtual arcade goers and virtual stuffed toys.

Honestly that sounds like a fun VR experience, someone get on that.

Motion control was a niche until Nintendo was like here do some bowling in your living room. Online games was niche when 1st gen quake guys were typing in someone else's IP to join their game... after trying VR I don't think you can convince me that it isn't just going to be a thing people have in the future. It will be cheap as hell and you can escape your godforsaken scorched earth hellscape for a while and look at mountains or spaceships or whatever. People gonna peep

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

hhhat posted:

Online games was niche when 1st gen quake guys were typing in someone else's IP to join their game...

Dear god, the 3rd party apps I used to try to connect to servers to play Quake/Quake 2 and others back in the early days of online gaming. drat, those were some fun and frustrating times!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Nocheez posted:

Dear god, the 3rd party apps I used to try to connect to servers to play Quake/Quake 2 and others back in the early days of online gaming. drat, those were some fun and frustrating times!

GameSpy (formerly QuakeSpy) was a godsend

Then Valve was like 'we got you fam' and put the game browser INSIDE THE GAME

You kids today dont know how great you have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Holy hell I have severely understimated the quality of life that people have build into custom Oculus Quest maps. I thought every time I wanted to upload some songs I'd have to get the quest plugged in and fiddle with some files to instal the new songs.

I was certainly not expecting a one-click download and install for all of the songs on BeastSaber without a single wire (past the inital Sidequest download) :stare:

THE FUTURE TRULY IS HERE