Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

I decided to just focus on making avatars out of 2d rpg maker sprites it seems. The real Wayne. The two things I was worried about was getting the texture right, and also finding a decent enough picture of the action figure his head is on. I want to make the walk cycle chaotic like the game, but I will cross that bridge when I get there. I guess next is space funeral. If anyone wants me to model them an avatar, just tell me. No generic anime.

I don't hate the prevalence of anime avatars, but it's kinda sad seeing what happens if you use an avatar that's not an MMD model, a meme, or something ripped out a recent game, because I swear half the people in VRChat just do not know how to mentally process it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
If you want a great VR fishing game check out Catch & Release. It’s really good and criminally underlooked. It does everything right and you just fish.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

rage-saq posted:

If you want a great VR fishing game check out Catch & Release. It’s really good and criminally underlooked. It does everything right and you just fish.

That game felt weird to me because you can hook a super tiny fish when you have like 3ft of line out, and you have to fight it excessively instead of just pull it out of the water. I get that the game has to have a challenge, but man, I've spent many hours of my life kicking back in a dinghy just yoinking up yellow perch or whatever, so it feels weird when you hook a 3" piece of poo poo and suddenly it's bending your rod.

It is a neat and chill game, though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I'm so bummed I bought Saints and Sinners on PSVR weeks before getting a Rift. It felt like a good game but the Move controllers rendered it borderline unplayable. Really want to play through the rest of it but not on PSVR and I don't think the game is worth $80. I guess I'll just wait for a deep sale down the line :sigh:

Now PS store. There's a place that could use an actual return policy.

huh? This came out at like $40 -on oculus in march...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thoatse posted:

Anyone have opinions/hot takes on Ultimate Fishing Simulator? I've almost bought it the last few times it was on sale cause it seems kinda chill and relaxing but I'm confused about the game the way it's listed... is it normally a VR game and you have the choice of buying the VR DLC as well? Are parts of it not VR? Are the controls jank and can you drive the boats around?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/468920/Ultimate_Fishing_Simulator/

Haven't played it, but "Catch & Release" is a pretty nifty VR fishing game if you're okay with it being a bit arcadey

rage-saq posted:

gently caress

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nuts and Gum posted:

huh? This came out at like $40 -on oculus in march...

Read there post.

They bought it already for PSVR and want it again on PCVR thus 80 bucks.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Is is normal that I have to unplug and plug my rift s back in every time I boot up? Sometimes 2-3 times. It always says that either the USB or optical is not detected until I redo it. It doesn't seem like an uncommon problem after googling it but I'd sure like to know why it's happening and how to stop it.

At least it works fine once it connects but it's a pain and does not seem normal.

Mine does this too. Booting up with it plugged in invariably results in the Oculus app saying its not connected.

Unplug/replug and it detects it straight away

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

veni veni ven posted:

Tried to look up a fix online and it says to update the MS.NET framework but it already appears to be updated...Anyone else run into this? What a bummer. Just want to try this drat game.

For me this was solved by going into a config file in the game folder and setting it to use version 4 above 2.whatever for .net (I'd be more precise but I'm at work; basically swapped the order of two lines in the files).

I grabbed Elite after getting my rift a couple of weeks ago and while I find the game itself mostly pretty boring the experience of space is goddamn amazing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Got my order confirmation email for the Index!!!!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I eventually got it working but it took like an hour. It was a real pain. Trying to launch it from Steam VR didn't (and still doesn't) work. Trying to the launch exe directly would cause the aforementioned error which would prevent Frontier from launching, which prevented me from updating it, which was the reason it wouldn't launch. Eventually I Fonzied my way into Frontier by clicking the endless error popups and was able to update it and the game actually started launching like normal. This was after trying like 5 other fixes I found on google that didn't work. But it didn't recognize that my HMD was plugged in so no VR options or way to play in VR. Finally I figured out that the only way to actually launch the game in VR was to go into the regular steam client, right click and play in VR. Then I'm in. But, oh hey I'm in the cockpit an my face is on the floor with one of my feet sticking out of my head. How do I recenter the camera? There's a key for it but it's buried rear end deep in the miscellaneous options and bound to the key for taking a screenshot in steam and doesn't even work until you rebind it...

Then all I had to do was figure out why the touch controllers weren't working and I was ready to rock. It was pretty fun after that although it did make me sick after about an hour and I had to emergency quit lol. I have an iron stomach with VR but space shooters still get me eventually.

ROFLBOT posted:

Mine does this too. Booting up with it plugged in invariably results in the Oculus app saying its not connected.

Unplug/replug and it detects it straight away

Yeah the first few times I had to reconnect multiple times but ever since it's always connected on the first try. It still always disconnects on booting up though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 11, 2020

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Then all I had to do was figure out why the touch controllers weren't working and I was ready to rock. It was pretty fun after that although it did make me sick after about an hour and I had to emergency quit lol. I have an iron stomach with VR but space shooters still get me eventually.

So far, being new to VR, my brain enters panic mode as soon as I try to walk rather than teleport in a game but flying around in elite didn't really affect me at all strangely enough. Well I got a bit of vertigo at some points but never felt sick.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've played many hundreds of hours of VR but flight sims are the only thing that still kind of do me in. It's very sudden. I can play them fine for like an hour and then out of nowhere I'm like "Uh oh, I gotta take this headset off immediately" No problem with full locomotion, racing etc though. I think it's the 360 movement or something.

realistically I could probably just pull the headset off for 2 minutes and get a drink of water and I'd be fine, but I usually just find it to be a good excuse to go do something else for a bit and come back later. I kind of want to play more flight games before Star Wars: Squadrons comes out though so I can go all in on it, because that poo poo looks awesome assuming EA doesn't do their thing and gently caress it catastrophically.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thark posted:

I grabbed Elite after getting my rift a couple of weeks ago and while I find the game itself mostly pretty boring the experience of space is goddamn amazing.

Try Space Engine if you just wanna explore space as a disembodied awareness that can travel half a billion light years per second or expand to make the sun a healthy watermelon or further to make the Bootes void the size of your head.

I get freaked out going beyond the edge.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Might be better off asking in the networking thread but I'm so close to getting wireless VR to work its killing me!

I got virtual desktop and following a great youtube posted a while back i've nearly got it perfect EXCEPT when i ping my headset i get a perfect 1ms ping apart from a peak every 5 pings. a perfect pattern! but this obvs makes it unusable, i tried restarting and picking a better wifi channel but cant figure it out! any ideas?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I eventually got it working but it took like an hour. It was a real pain. Trying to launch it from Steam VR didn't (and still doesn't) work. Trying to the launch exe directly would cause the aforementioned error which would prevent Frontier from launching, which prevented me from updating it, which was the reason it wouldn't launch. Eventually I Fonzied my way into Frontier by clicking the endless error popups and was able to update it and the game actually started launching like normal. This was after trying like 5 other fixes I found on google that didn't work. But it didn't recognize that my HMD was plugged in so no VR options or way to play in VR. Finally I figured out that the only way to actually launch the game in VR was to go into the regular steam client, right click and play in VR. Then I'm in. But, oh hey I'm in the cockpit an my face is on the floor with one of my feet sticking out of my head. How do I recenter the camera? There's a key for it but it's buried rear end deep in the miscellaneous options and bound to the key for taking a screenshot in steam and doesn't even work until you rebind it...

Yeah the first few times I had to reconnect multiple times but ever since it's always connected on the first try. It still always disconnects on booting up though.

I've had the same thing. It's such a loving pain to even get it working, I've had my old frontier account but I kept telling me that I have to buy/redeem Elite Dangerous to log in... even though I was just lauching it from Steam. Turns out you need to create a new account bound to your Steam account to play the game. Binding an OLD Frontier account to your Steam account doesn't work. loving stupid.

And now I realize that the Oculus Touch setup doesn't allow me to plot a route via the galaxy map, it's missing the bindings. All other things are fine, you just need to know that you have to hold A/B/X/Y and a direction to choose some more advanced options. For some reason the game doesn't pick up my mic either so I can't chat with my wingmen over the cool and fun audio system of the game. Somewhat disappointed, but when it works by God the spacefeel is amazing.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

veni veni veni posted:

Eventually I Fonzied my way into Frontier by clicking the endless error popups and was able to update it and the game actually started launching like normal.

Elite: Dangerous->Browse local files
EDLaunch.exe.config

switch these two lines this way around (v2 was originally on top)

pre:
<startup> 
   <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>    
   <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
</startup>
Fixed the unhandled exceptions in the launcher for me.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Bad Munki posted:

Try Space Engine if you just wanna explore space as a disembodied awareness that can travel half a billion light years per second or expand to make the sun a healthy watermelon or further to make the Bootes void the size of your head.

I get freaked out going beyond the edge.

I'm not saying Space Engine isn't awesome, I'm sure it is, but actually flying around in an actual spacehip with an actual cockpit, the scale of space stations etc are a part of it. Also actually having an extrinsic motivation to fly somewhere in particular, even if it's not a super-engaging one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, yeah. Hence the “if” clause in my statement :)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Space Engine is about as engaging as browsing photo archives on the NASA website. Not trying to bag on those who enjoy it, I just really did not get it at all. Elite Dangerous is cool as hell though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Enos Cabell posted:

Space Engine is about as engaging as browsing photo archives on the NASA website. Not trying to bag on those who enjoy it, I just really did not get it at all. Elite Dangerous is cool as hell though.

Never played it in VR, but getting wrecked on edibles and soaring through the universe while listening to some good jams is a fun way to waste an evening.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Noticed the trigger on my right rift controller squeaks very loudly now. Known issue? I’m gonna contact oculus about it because it’s pretty drat annoying for something that’s been used maybe ten hours between two people.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Stan Taylor posted:

Noticed the trigger on my right rift controller squeaks very loudly now. Known issue? I’m gonna contact oculus about it because it’s pretty drat annoying for something that’s been used maybe ten hours between two people.

I have this same goddamn issue and am curious to know what they tell you

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My index did the same thing for a while. I did nothing to fix it, it just stopped.

I guess the point is, all hardware sucks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happyimp posted:

I need to stop watching mrtv's stuff about the reverb 2. I know the next time Im drunk, I will probably accidentally pre order it. He is too good at selling stuff.

While his videos are getting me excited for the headset and I can't wait for mine to come in, sometimes I feel like he sings too much praise for the thing. I know he just published a video on why not to get it, so I'm going to check that out shortly.

Speaking of which, I'm probably going to get my Index around the same time I get my G2; I'm going to test out both and see which I like more, but I'm probably sticking with the G2, rather than send it back to Valve I'll probably go the eBay route with it or if a Goon wants it without having to wait for MSRP I'll do that. Would anyone be interested? Right now it says I'm 4 weeks away from getting it so whatever that means in Valve Time.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Shine posted:

It was not originally a VR game, but they added a VR mode as paid DLC, or as a standalone purchase, but both the standalone and VR versions have their paid DLC separate, or some poo poo. Anyway, I'd ignore the VR version and instead buy the base game and add the VR DLC, as the screen version works well as a lazy couch kick back gamepad title. I bought it before I got into VR and enjoyed it for 15 hours or so.

That said, the VR support is really wonky, especially with Index controllers (it has some inexplicable mappings), so it may be worth buying the VR version, seeing if you like it, and then refunding it and buying the base game and VR DLC, if you like it. That way you can play it both ways.

The game itself is fine. It's like Fishing Planet, but without trying to microtransaction you to death. You can do a standard progression mode, or just say "gently caress it" and do sandbox mode and access everything. Chill and fun game. Take the multiplayer with a grain of salt, though. It's basically just chatting, as you can't really interact with or properly see other players.

Zaphod42 posted:

Haven't played it, but "Catch & Release" is a pretty nifty VR fishing game if you're okay with it being a bit arcadey

gently caress

Cool thanks for the details, it's still kinda confusing so I'll wait until after I finish my pc build and have the space to dl it right away so I can return it if it sucks. I care a lot less about the fishing aspect but want to check it out but am more after the beautiful detailed semi-interactive environments. I have other things for this (tons of environments, Nature Treks, Guided Meditation, heck even Derail Valley is relaxing af and can be 100% wondered on foot) but am always looking for more chill spots

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

EbolaIvory posted:

Read there post.

They bought it already for PSVR and want it again on PCVR thus 80 bucks.

my bad. my eyes just gravitated towards $80 and I thought there was some crazy rear end psvr pricing going on. In any case I would agree, definitely not worth buying twice at $40 a pop. These walled gardens really suck rear end.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

sigher posted:

While his videos are getting me excited for the headset and I can't wait for mine to come in, sometimes I feel like he sings too much praise for the thing. I know he just published a video on why not to get it, so I'm going to check that out shortly.

He put out like 5-6 videos hyping up how great it was. Other people have gotten their hands on it now and I'm not really seeing across the board glowing praise especially with the tracking.

When I was playing Alyx and Skyrim VR yesterday I was trying to play close attention to the SDE and anything that might take me out of the immersion visually and I couldn't really find anything that stood out. I don't find the Index as comfortable as my Vive with the VR cover pads, but other than that a minor upgrade in fidelity isn't worth worse tracking and lower FOV.

The Reverb just seems weird because for people who are into VR they've at least taken some steps to build their system around running it now or potentially at some point in the future. For the resolution the Reverb is running at you'd need a pretty good PC to get the most of it. For a total package it seems like a good deal except if it's your first headset and you aren't fully equipped to use it I don't see a benefit. Who knows though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do non VR Skyrim/FO4 mods just generally work in their VR counterparts? How does modding in general work for those games?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Do non VR Skyrim/FO4 mods just generally work in their VR counterparts? How does modding in general work for those games?

There is r/skyrimvr and they have a bunch of guides for modding including which will cause performance hits. Some mods work, others don't. The pool of working mods is pretty large though and make a pretty big difference to me. Not sure about FO4 but I think it's the same there as well.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You can also go the wabbajack route with a massive list of mods it will put together for you. There's at least a couple vr focused ones.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm looking to upgrade my CV1 to either an index or a reverb G2. Am I right in that the reverb has higher res, lower frame rate, lower fov, worse tracking, and a $400 less price tag?

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Parallelwoody posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my CV1 to either an index or a reverb G2. Am I right in that the reverb has higher res, lower frame rate, lower fov, worse tracking, and a $400 less price tag?

I don't see how you're going to get above 90hz anyway with the resolution. The fov looks decent enough. The main reason I want to get it is because the index always looks so grey to me. Those behind the lense videos makes it look like the color is so much better than the index. The greyness actually messes with my depth perception, and makes the world look flat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Happyimp posted:

I don't see how you're going to get above 90hz anyway with the resolution. The fov looks decent enough. The main reason I want to get it is because the index always looks so grey to me. Those behind the lense videos makes it look like the color is so much better than the index. The greyness actually messes with my depth perception, and makes the world look flat.

That's something I miss about my Rift. Blacks were much deeper, which is nice in very dark games, like flying DCS World at night, Elite Dangerous, etc. It's not super noticeable to me when there are bright colors contrasting it, but black have that very "backlit" look to them.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
A quick question. So I loaded up jet island tonight, and now it looks really really horrible. Now it runs worse and everything is very smokey. Is there a way to revert it back to not looking like garbage? I wanted my friends to play it, but I can't right now. Even at ultra, it looks bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

There is r/skyrimvr and they have a bunch of guides for modding including which will cause performance hits. Some mods work, others don't. The pool of working mods is pretty large though and make a pretty big difference to me. Not sure about FO4 but I think it's the same there as well.

Parallelwoody posted:

You can also go the wabbajack route with a massive list of mods it will put together for you. There's at least a couple vr focused ones.

Sweet thanks guys.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Happyimp posted:

A quick question. So I loaded up jet island tonight, and now it looks really really horrible. Now it runs worse and everything is very smokey. Is there a way to revert it back to not looking like garbage? I wanted my friends to play it, but I can't right now. Even at ultra, it looks bad.

check out the recent trailers. That's been added to the game to give it depth. Before it barely had ant lighting. I played it a bunch after that update and thought it looked fine :shrug:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I tried playing War Thunder VR on my Index last night and it was pretty awful. The UI is oriented in the wrong direction and is absolutely _massive_, requiring you to crane your neck up and down and left and right just to navigate the options menu. Once I got in the game my head was inside the plane's fuselage, rather than the cockpit, I have no idea why.

Once I adjusted my position I just ended up getting pretty severe nausea within 10 minutes, but I think that's more my problem (hard to avoid rolling when you're in a dog fight). I ended up just playing on my flat screen and it was a lot more enjoyable, even if it felt ridiculous to not be able to look around freely.

Are there any flight sims that treat VR as a first class citizen (other than VTOL VR and Ultrawings)? I might try Ultrawings again and just turn off the controller haptics that cause it to totally flip out.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

sadly no, not really. VTOL VR is still the best by quite a bit.
would be really cool to have more plane sims (or space sims??? hello) following in VTOL VR's footsteps

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I like everspace, and everspace 2 is out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
Sucks that Ace Combat 7's VR missions aren't on PC.