Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lockback posted:

Vivecraft looks much better but I haven't given that a try yet.

It's an entirely different implementation that makes better use of VR controls, worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lockback posted:

For those who haven't tried it, NMS is a real good VR game. A lot of valid complaints about the game get washed away in VR, I feel, and it works as a cool, chill resource and explore game.

There is some UI jankiness in VR but it's not too bad. And even with my CV1 it did require some extra horsepower on PC to avoid FPS drops.

I gotta disagree, I finally tried the game in VR recently and found it very uncomfortable, moving around isn't very fun and the UI is a huge pain

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SCheeseman posted:

It's an entirely different implementation that makes better use of VR controls, worth checking out.

Vivecraft feels good so far, but is there no way to just swing your hand at things to hit them?

I have to push a button and that feels wrong.

Otherwise though moving around feels better than NMS.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Moving around in NMS vr is either smooth walking or teleporting, with smooth or snap turning. What else is there?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Vivecraft feels good so far, but is there no way to just swing your hand at things to hit them?

Been a while, but I'm sure that was at least an option.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
setup a punching bag wrapped in sandpaper so you can get immersed in punching those trees

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Moving around in NMS vr is either smooth walking or teleporting, with smooth or snap turning. What else is there?

Its not about other methods of locomotion, its about the subtle details of how they're implemented. Vivecraft, for example, also just has smooth walking or teleporting. But it just feels better due to the nature of the game and details about how those things are implemented.

There's a LOT of factors that go into this, dude. How fast is the smooth movement? How far can you teleport? Is there a cooldown on teleport? How big is the world? The game design itself becomes a factor of the movement.

For one thing, NMS has GIGAAAAANTIC spaces that you are regularly expected to travel on-foot, which is very slow and boring. You have a booster, but the booster lasts for like .5 seconds, and takes a second to recharge.

Minecraft on the other hand you're never running across a massive flat plain for 10 minutes, there's always things to climb up or down, and you're generally more focused on smaller areas. You're free to explore a massive area if you want since its procedural, but the game never says "okay drop everything you're doing and run 10 miles right the gently caress now"

Like I could spend hours talking about this subject dude, you're way underthinking it.

Both NMS and Vivecraft also have similar pop-up menus and crafting systems. But Vivecraft's are way way way more comfortable than either NMS or Subnautica. Crafting in VR in those games is a chore. In Vivecraft its actually reasonable. Subtle details of the size and distance of the windows and the way you control them makes a HUGE difference in the long run.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 23, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm looking at a cool relaxing vibes game and I'm trying to decide between Tetris Effect and Rez Infinite.

The EGS have a free £10 coupon if you grab their (free) Rocket League so I'm looking at Tetris Effect again. I hate to be the kind of person who tries to quantify all their entertainment but does it have enough cool different environments and vibes to be worth twenty bucks?

The Rez question is a lot easier: I heard it had big audio-mixing problems which sucks in a game that's 50% audio. That true or overblown steam review hyperbole?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I gotta disagree, I finally tried the game in VR recently and found it very uncomfortable, moving around isn't very fun and the UI is a huge pain

Might be worth a new look at it because the new update that went live today made big changes to the UI.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Minecraft and NMS are a real bad comparison since they are very different games, but I didn't have any issue with the NMS motion, but I don't have issues in general with VR motion so :shrug:. Though I did sometimes switch to teleport during some of the early "fetch" quests since you can move quite a bit faster.

I didn't realize people would be so passionate about this, but since NMS can frequently be had for $30 or so, I thought the VR implementation was pretty good if you have a powerful enough GPU (which if you're having issues with the motion you may be dropping frames). I did not enjoy it on a screen at all but found it pretty fun in VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

I'm looking at a cool relaxing vibes game and I'm trying to decide between Tetris Effect and Rez Infinite.

The EGS have a free £10 coupon if you grab their (free) Rocket League so I'm looking at Tetris Effect again. I hate to be the kind of person who tries to quantify all their entertainment but does it have enough cool different environments and vibes to be worth twenty bucks?

The Rez question is a lot easier: I heard it had big audio-mixing problems which sucks in a game that's 50% audio. That true or overblown steam review hyperbole?

Some people play tetris for 2 minutes and put it down and some people play tetris for 2,000 hours, really can't say dude. Not a one-size-fits-all judgement.

Do you like Tetris?

Both Tetris and Rez are great VR games and easily worth the money, can't go wrong either way. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the audio.

I said come in! posted:

Might be worth a new look at it because the new update that went live today made big changes to the UI.

Cool, I'll check it out at some point

But I think having to run for miles at a time is just really boring and lame in VR and I'd rather be sitting down. Minecraft just never requires you to do that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Since I play NMS for the purpose of having those long walks, that's probably why I don't have an issue with its movement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Since I play NMS for the purpose of having those long walks, that's probably why I don't have an issue with its movement.

If they like, got rid of the booster entirely but just made your walk speed faster I think that'd go a long long way. Having to use it all the time to go from "slow" to "less slow" is just kinda frustrating. Or just go back to the old days where you could boost+jump to vault yourself long distances, that was fun.

Its also especially bad though since I lost my save and had to start at the beginning and there is a lot of "go here", "come back, craft this, now go here", and I'm on a freezing planet and my survival gear is constantly complaining. Its not difficult its just time consuming and annoying having to navigate all these crafting menus (hopefully those got better today)

If you're already established with a nice ship and suit and tools from playing in 2D and then hop in VR its probably easier.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Oculus Quest’s unofficial app store gets backing from Oculus founder Palmer Luckey

Conflicted feelings.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 23, 2020

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
My main problem with NMS in VR was the flight controls. I never could get used to using the Oculus' Touch controllers to grab the VR flight controls. Is there a better way to do it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

Been a while, but I'm sure that was at least an option.

Yeah you can swing to mine.

I found that after about 10 min for me the novelty wore off and I went back to flat minecraft for actual playing. Mining in VR turns into pushing a button to mine anyways.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pierson posted:

I'm a huge Rez fan but I had to refund Rez Infinite. Most of it is fine, but it features occasional forced camera movement that really made me feel like poo poo after playing for an hour.

I don't know if they ever did anything about that, I'd probably buy it again if I knew there was some way to disable those forced movements.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I don't really give a poo poo what Luckey thinks.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I don't really give a poo poo what Luckey thinks.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Never really heard anything about Luckey, what's wrong with him?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Inacio posted:

Never really heard anything about Luckey, what's wrong with him?

MAGA CHUD

e:

Wikipedia posted:

In September 2016, Luckey donated $10,000 to an organization called "Nimble America" with the stated purpose of "educating the community on our ideals of America First, Smart Trade, Legal Immigration, and Ethical Behavior."[50] Luckey offered to match further contributions from /r/The_Donald users for 48 hours after the announcement.[51] Luckey later issued an apology for any negative impact his actions had on public perception of Oculus, and stated that he acted independently, not as a representative of Oculus VR.[52] The Wall Street Journal later reported that Luckey had been pressured into making this statement as a condition of employment.[53]

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Dude was funding alt-right propaganda campaigns in the 2016 elections, and probably beyond. Big donor to Ted Cruz, Mike Pence, a bunch of other shitbags and GOP foundations. Facebook forced him to publicly say he's a Gary Johnson supporter to try to quell any blowback, even though Luckey is a Trumper, then fired him. He got a nice payout because of that. Ted Cruz even grilled Zuck about the firing whenever he was being questioned in Congress a while back.

He also co-founded a tech company that detects immigrants at border crossings. Dudes a grade A piece of poo poo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Dude was funding alt-right propaganda campaigns in the 2016 elections, and probably beyond. Big donor to Ted Cruz, Mike Pence, a bunch of other shitbags and GOP foundations. Facebook forced him to publicly say he's a Gary Johnson supporter to try to quell any blowback, even though Luckey is a Trumper, then fired him. He got a nice payout because of that. Ted Cruz even grilled Zuck about the firing whenever he was being questioned in Congress a while back.

He also co-founded a tech company that detects immigrants at border crossings. Dudes a grade A piece of poo poo.

Probably don't need to explain who the guy on the right is, but the guy in the middle is Chuck C Johnson, a holocaust denier. He got a meeting with Chuck and Zinke, then secretary of the interior https://gizmodo.com/trump-official-met-with-palmer-luckey-chuck-johnson-to-1795450059

It's borderline but possible that Oculus is now owned by a less evil entity

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

he also really drove home that you cant look cool playing VR

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, he's not even one of the chuds you could make excuses about. Dude is a full throated supporter of white supremacy.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

veni veni veni posted:

He's obviously trying to show how VR is for hardcore escapism enthusiasts and how meatspace has become irrelevant!

Who gives a gently caress what you look like IRL, when your avatar has huge jiggly kobold tits!!!?

Lamers, that's who!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Palmer Luckey is such a chud that even Facebook fired him for it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, he's not even one of the chuds you could make excuses about. Dude is a full throated supporter of white supremacy.

When Mark Zuckerberg fires you for being too much of a Trump supporter, you're in full crazypants territory

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I'm near certain the turbochuds in charge of FB only fired him because it because it became public knowledge.. a PR move purely for the sake of perception management

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Zaphod42 posted:

There is, it must be somewhere in the VR settings menu. It's a real workout to be diggin in the coal mines.
I said this last page but really, if anyone owns Minecraft they gotta try Vivecraft. It feels like it makes more use out of VR mechanics than any shooter game or stereoscopic mod. I love how labor intensive it can be to get a tiny compound going, really lights up my hunter-gatherer brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EU_JS8SNn8

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Zaphod42 posted:

Cool, I'll check it out at some point

But I think having to run for miles at a time is just really boring and lame in VR and I'd rather be sitting down. Minecraft just never requires you to do that.

I'm hugely skeptical, considering there is only one mention of "VR" in the release notes, and it's for fixing bugs when using Steam's overlay. :nallears:

More likely it's still a direct port of flat NMS and the UI, despite being updated, is still just as janky in VR.

I'll give it a whirl, worst case scenario I just go back to Elite Dangerous for my VR space tedium simulator.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Thoatse posted:

I'm near certain the turbochuds in charge of FB only fired him because it because it became public knowledge.. a PR move purely for the sake of perception management

Even with that, when Facebook thinks you're making them look bad by supporting the far right too publicly, you must have hosed up pretty impressively.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My impression of facebook in general is less actual chud, and more just completely reckless about how they increase engagement, and if that involves feeding you right wing propaganda so be it. The end result is the same though. Like, I followed Bernie and if my FB feed was all I went by I'd think he was still gonna win. They just show you what you want to see and then some. Unfortunately if what you want to see is Trump, its eventually going to spiral into Nazi land.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

That Shane Johnson guy used to hang out in altspace before Microsoft took over. He wrote some editor for it that looked confusing as hell and he got his own custom avatar hat that looked like the one in the picture. They decided to move on and replace the editor and he seemed pretty bitter about it. He went and made his own clone of altspace but the screenshots looked like rear end to me.

Eh so him writing an app that just acts as an adb wrapper and bundles other people’s software and getting attention from it I guess it’s kinda fitting he would get his funding from a shithead. Lol.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Anyone else wish NeosVR was more user-friendly?

The UX hasn't changed for the better in 6 months if not more. Every single time I give it a whirl I end up having to have the actual game devs guide me along the way in virtual person (which is p. cool tbh) for the most simple things like calibrating full body, or figuring out how to navigate the overcrowded floating hand-blob system.

On each occasion I've exclaimed how poo poo the UX is for beginners like myself, but it's as bad as ever. You kind if have to compare it to vrchat in person to see what I mean.

On the other hand, these devs have also shown me some of the most amazingly responsive and 1:1 IK/physics stuff I have ever seen in a social VR game. Hell, one developer pulled apart a working calculator he coded and modeled inside the game, and you could see all the logic code run across the board dynamically - truly amazing.

My main wow was however when I entered a desolate zero G space station world, and was able to grab onto - and push off of others with superbly simulated newtonian physics. There was zero lag or rubber banding, legit boneworks levels of collision meshage between us players in the map.

Right now NeosVR is the DIY furry coder nerd mecca (most of the devs are furries like me) , and I can't wait until it's more accessible to the less gifted like myself... Because no other social VR game can beat their game engine knowhow by a longshot.

TL;DR: Give NeosVR a shot and complain to the devs about the poor UX for newbies when they eventually end up having to guide you on how to play. It's really loving impressive.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AEMINAL posted:

Anyone else wish NeosVR was more user-friendly?

The UX hasn't changed for the better in 6 months if not more. Every single time I give it a whirl I end up having to have the actual game devs guide me along the way in virtual person (which is p. cool tbh) for the most simple things like calibrating full body, or figuring out how to navigate the overcrowded floating hand-blob system.

On each occasion I've exclaimed how poo poo the UX is for beginners like myself, but it's as bad as ever. You kind if have to compare it to vrchat in person to see what I mean.

On the other hand, these devs have also shown me some of the most amazingly responsive and 1:1 IK/physics stuff I have ever seen in a social VR game. Hell, one developer pulled apart a working calculator he coded and modeled inside the game, and you could see all the logic code run across the board dynamically - truly amazing.

My main wow was however when I entered a desolate zero G space station world, and was able to grab onto - and push off of others with superbly simulated newtonian physics. There was zero lag or rubber banding, legit boneworks levels of collision meshage between us players in the map.

Right now NeosVR is the DIY furry coder nerd mecca (most of the devs are furries like me) , and I can't wait until it's more accessible to the less gifted like myself... Because no other social VR game can beat their game engine knowhow by a longshot.

TL;DR: Give NeosVR a shot and complain to the devs about the poor UX for newbies when they eventually end up having to guide you on how to play. It's really loving impressive.

If the furry thing is a turn off, how appealing is this place?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Has there been a behind the scenes on this picture? How in the hell did anyone see this and think yes this is a good picture lmao

Unless TIME did it on purpose because they thought it was a dumbfuck fad and they wanted to belittle it? thats the only reasonable explanation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Has there been a behind the scenes on this picture? How in the hell did anyone see this and think yes this is a good picture lmao

Unless TIME did it on purpose because they thought it was a dumbfuck fad and they wanted to belittle it? thats the only reasonable explanation.

I just kinda assumed it was photoshopped and not a real TIME cover cause holy poo poo TIME is known for good covers, so this is really something.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I broke down and bought Zero Caliber out of pure want of a new shooty game. It's the only single-player focused story shootmans I know of that's not HL:A and it does an ok job. It' still very rough around the edges, some of the voice acting is suspect, but really what matters is the shooting, gun handling and reloading mechanics. They're all pretty well done, except it has a tendency to incorrectly detect your grip on the Index controllers, so you're desperately trying to drop the front of the gun to reach for a mag but you can't and it's funny / frustrating.

I then loaded up some of the new challenge modes in Boneworks and that game is just miles apart from everything else except HL:A. The discrepancy in animation, grip detection and just overall fidelity of the environments is just massive. I really don't understand how or why Boneworks is still better than most shooters but I recommend everyone give it a try/retry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ah I see why I was confused with Minecraft VR, if you say try to hit a tree with a sword it won't work unless you hit the button, you need to use an appropriate tool (even though a sword CAN attack a tree) for swing-hits to count. Feels good to mine by swinging your arms though!

Riding in the boat in VR seems cool, you can move your hands to row. But in practice its pretty janky, and spinning your boat wildly is barf city USA.

The problem I have with minecraft as a VR game is similar to the issue with NMS; you almost need to get yourself set up and craft a bunch of stuff in 2D before you ever jump in VR. Once you have a base and a sword and a bow and basic tools, you're off to the races. But if you start fresh, its kinda frustrating to go through those first couple days where you can't make anything and have to dig a hole in the ground to hide at night. Just waiting around for day is... lame.

I need to install like a pacifist no-zombies mod.... except actually fighting mobs when I WANT to is fine and fun. The problem is having the day/night cycle tends to gently caress whatever you're in the middle of.
But like I said, once I have bows and torches things will be different.