Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

https://twitter.com/thebigdev433/status/1316926387664584704?s=20

Facebook Head of VR - "Quest 2 buyers should make sure their Facebook accounts are in “good standing” before buying a headset."

To be fair, it literally says "Facebook account required" on the box. The account requirement is mentioned in nearly every review as well. It's hardly a surprise to anyone at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

D-Pad posted:

If I play for a few hours and then take my contacts out and put on my glasses and then use my phone poo poo gets trippy. Like my brain takes the fact it can see my glasses frames in the periphery as the same thing as the hint of goggles on the edges of the quest display and thinks reality is vr. It feels like my hands aren't there or they are disconnected vr hands or something and that I'm a person sitting in my brain looking out my eyes. The phone display feels like the heads up display when using virtual desktop.

I don't know how to explain it better. Does this happen to anyone else? Surely there is a term for it. I feel like if I play too long I'll come out and reality won't ever be reality again. The future is loving wild.

Edit: I wished I still smoked weed because I feel like the effect would be 10x stronger

Yeah, you tend to get this weird sense of unreality for the first little while of doing VR stuff. It'll go away after a few days, but as long as you don't freak yourself out it's pretty cool while it lasts

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jack Trades posted:

https://twitter.com/thebigdev433/status/1316926387664584704?s=20

Facebook Head of VR - "Quest 2 buyers should make sure their Facebook accounts are in “good standing” before buying a headset."

He compares this to Xbox and other service providers, but Facebook is the only account that has two activity measurements on it considering the whole social media aspect. If they really cared they would have separated it into a "Facebook gaming/lite" account that you can then use to advertise "Why not complete your account to a full one/Tie your account to a full one"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

D-Pad posted:

If I play for a few hours and then take my contacts out and put on my glasses and then use my phone poo poo gets trippy. Like my brain takes the fact it can see my glasses frames in the periphery as the same thing as the hint of goggles on the edges of the quest display and thinks reality is vr. It feels like my hands aren't there or they are disconnected vr hands or something and that I'm a person sitting in my brain looking out my eyes. The phone display feels like the heads up display when using virtual desktop.

I don't know how to explain it better. Does this happen to anyone else? Surely there is a term for it. I feel like if I play too long I'll come out and reality won't ever be reality again. The future is loving wild.

Edit: I wished I still smoked weed because I feel like the effect would be 10x stronger

Yes, but it went away after a bit. It was like my brain didn't know what to do with itself after playing VR. Like, even though I knew it wasn't real, there was part of me that thought it was. It's pretty much felt like playing any other game for years to me though. It's still way more immersive but my brain just registers what's going on better I guess. I'll still try to lean on a fake table every once in a blue moon.

I miss the disconnect sometimes tbh. I don't miss the disorientation or motion sickness though.

Edit: Sort of related. One VR thing that has been loving with me lately, something that is actually not that uncommon and something my brain will just not accept, is when textures/effects are layered(?) wrong and create an effect that hits this uncanney valley mindfuck. Possibly something with stereoscopic 3d, because it usually looks relatively normal if I close one eye. Some recent examples are in Star Wars: squadrons, there are puddles on the floor in the rebel hanger. but instead of being flush with the floor, they simultaneously feel flush with, and under the floor at the same time.Then, something I've seen in quite a few game games, TWD S&S being the most recent example, is writing/graffiti on the wall appearing to float a few inches in front of it, but if you look at the wall at a 90 degree angle, it's flush. And finally the craziest one I have ever seen is areas of the Alien Isolation mod, where floors are either shiny or wet, and the reflection effect feels like it's appearing inside my loving brain. It feels insane to look at. I'd love to know if there is a term for this phenomenon and what causes it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 18, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The subtext with what he's saying about accounts needing to be in "good standing" is that Facebook wants you to engage with their platform in order to not be flagged, removing access to your purchases if your level of activity doesn't meet their arbitrary standards. They don't seem to have a problem with this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://imgur.com/a/R04wCRb

I suspected this, Quest 2 fov felt a bit different than Quest 1, in ipd setting 2. I think it's that small cropping on the maximum apex of the horitontal fov.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Has there been any actual cases where people have lost access due to inactivity? All the bans I've seen have been new accounts.

I have an ancient FB account, the last time I posted something was over 10 years ago. I log in maybe once or twice a year. If there's some minimum engagement requirement, it seems pretty low.

Also, I'd guess linking/merging the account with the Oculus account would count as engagement. You're using the account every time you browse the store or play a game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

iron buns posted:

Has there been any actual cases where people have lost access due to inactivity? All the bans I've seen have been new accounts.

I have an ancient FB account, the last time I posted something was over 10 years ago. I log in maybe once or twice a year. If there's some minimum engagement requirement, it seems pretty low.

Also, I'd guess linking/merging the account with the Oculus account would count as engagement. You're using the account every time you browse the store or play a game.

No, just people theorycrafting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iron buns posted:

The bans that are occurring are because a shitload of Quest 2 buyers made Facebook accounts just to play with their new toy, and Facebook's algorithms are seeing the bulk increase as bot account creation because they're not engaging with Facebook at all.

WirelessPillow posted:

He compares this to Xbox and other service providers, but Facebook is the only account that has two activity measurements on it considering the whole social media aspect. If they really cared they would have separated it into a "Facebook gaming/lite" account that you can then use to advertise "Why not complete your account to a full one/Tie your account to a full one"

They can't harvest everything you say and do with those while in VR with a separate account, or the EU will beat them over the head with a lawsuit because of a GDPR violation (and Germany's already calling them out for mandatory Facebook accounts).

And they really want to harvest everything you say and do while in VR.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

Palmer Lucky surely has a contract clause from the sale that his tweet is in violation of

lmfao i hope so, but also he's a billionaire, so it doesn't matter in the end

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They can't harvest everything you say and do with those while in VR with a separate account, or the EU will beat them over the head with a lawsuit because of a GDPR violation (and Germany's already calling them out for mandatory Facebook accounts).
From what I read everywhere, the Quests aren't even for sale (anymore) in Germany.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
New to owning my own vr setup (Quest 2) and just wondering if anyone has tips for improving facial comfort, particularly on the forehead? I presume there’ll be custom faceplates coming that will hopefully help?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jakabite posted:

New to owning my own vr setup (Quest 2) and just wondering if anyone has tips for improving facial comfort, particularly on the forehead? I presume there’ll be custom faceplates coming that will hopefully help?

VRCover makes custom faceplates for just about every VR headset and the Quest 2 one should be out soon, and there's also an official fit pack for wider and narrower faces that Oculus sells (I needed the wider one, it's not a HUGE difference but it definitely eases up on some pressure points).

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

sethsez posted:

VRCover makes custom faceplates for just about every VR headset and the Quest 2 one should be out soon, and there's also an official fit pack for wider and narrower faces that Oculus sells (I needed the wider one, it's not a HUGE difference but it definitely eases up on some pressure points).

Thanks, think I’ll have to invest soon, along with the elite strap.

I also never realised how young the vr community seems to be. Playing Echo Arena and it honestly feels like over half the other players are under 18... it’s bizarre. Is this common/is this a known thing so vr? Makes me feel like I’m hanging about in a playground.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jakabite posted:

Thanks, think I’ll have to invest soon, along with the elite strap.

I also never realised how young the vr community seems to be. Playing Echo Arena and it honestly feels like over half the other players are under 18... it’s bizarre. Is this common/is this a known thing so vr? Makes me feel like I’m hanging about in a playground.

Yeah. As VR has gotten cheaper than most phones, a bunch of kids are getting Quests as gifts, so expect this to always be the case. There really needs to be an age filter for every single app.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
VR cover is legit, I have four and it's real nice popping on a clean one when folk come over and want to play Beat Sabre etc.
My 10 year old son convinced me to get him the 5 nights at freddies VR, he says 'I love it but hate it' :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah. As VR has gotten cheaper than most phones, a bunch of kids are getting Quests as gifts, so expect this to always be the case. There really needs to be an age filter for every single app.

In a way it makes sense VR is getting more acceptance by kids, as in, they have less prejudices against VR (they don't have tastes as fossilized or concepts for what's an acceptable entertainment medium).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If it helps, I got wireless PCVR setup. I am using a 5Ghz wifi router, but its not Wi-Fi 6, and my computer is not connected via ethernet, and the router is in another room (though only 10ft away). And Half Life Alyx still ran very well. So don't be put off if you don't have the best possible setup

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

blue squares posted:

If it helps, I got wireless PCVR setup. I am using a 5Ghz wifi router, but its not Wi-Fi 6, and my computer is not connected via ethernet, and the router is in another room (though only 10ft away). And Half Life Alyx still ran very well. So don't be put off if you don't have the best possible setup
You could get much better results fixing that, the other things are ok.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

You could get much better results fixing that, the other things are ok.

well unfortunately the router is in another room so unless I want to drill a hole in the wall of my apartment or run a cable down the hall (neither of which my girlfriend would allow haha), that's my situation

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I bought 50ft or ethernet to run around the bedroom+living room to get my PC connected directly to the router and the improvement on wireless VR is astounding.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does the Quest need an internet connection for virtual desktop? Seems like you could buy a wireless router to directly connect to the PC and nothing else, then connect the Quest to that router's wifi.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Lemming posted:

As long as we're still (sort of) talking about stuff we're personally working on, I've been re-working my gorilla locomotion system where you run and jump around using your arms and now I can finally use it with arbitrary meshes, so for fun I dropped it into Dust 2

https://i.imgur.com/WDBQB0a.mp4

If anybody wants to download this and hop around here are the files:

Quest: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/671854243510091795/766743204326015056/dust2gorilla.apk
PCVR (should work with everything, though I haven't tried it with SteamVR in a while): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/671854243510091795/766743211980488755/Dust2NewLoco.zip

When I saw this all I could think about was Alex from twisted metal, but Instead of two wheels it's two giant pile bunker arms. The spikes would look fine climbing walls. Could even tilt your arm upward to reverse shoot the blunt pile driver side to super jump. Would be a fun way to joust. I guess hands would work too, like Big O style.

Happyimp fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 18, 2020

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

peter gabriel posted:

VR cover is legit, I have four and it's real nice popping on a clean one when folk come over and want to play Beat Sabre etc.
My 10 year old son convinced me to get him the 5 nights at freddies VR, he says 'I love it but hate it' :v:

My one complaint with VRCover is they never seem to be compatible with the default glasses spacers and such, and they don't make their own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Edit: Sort of related. One VR thing that has been loving with me lately, something that is actually not that uncommon and something my brain will just not accept, is when textures/effects are layered(?) wrong and create an effect that hits this uncanney valley mindfuck. Possibly something with stereoscopic 3d, because it usually looks relatively normal if I close one eye. Some recent examples are in Star Wars: squadrons, there are puddles on the floor in the rebel hanger. but instead of being flush with the floor, they simultaneously feel flush with, and under the floor at the same time.Then, something I've seen in quite a few game games, TWD S&S being the most recent example, is writing/graffiti on the wall appearing to float a few inches in front of it, but if you look at the wall at a 90 degree angle, it's flush. And finally the craziest one I have ever seen is areas of the Alien Isolation mod, where floors are either shiny or wet, and the reflection effect feels like it's appearing inside my loving brain. It feels insane to look at. I'd love to know if there is a term for this phenomenon and what causes it.

This is a problem because traditional flat-screen games use ALL KINDS of cheats to render things cheaper. Things that don't matter when you're rasterizing to a flat pixel screen in the end.

But then along comes VR and now suddenly perspective matters a whole lot and you have game designers used to 2D who are making a 2D game that also supports VR and they forget some of the lights or effects that aren't tuned for VR perspective and so end up looking wrong.

Yeah, its a very common problem. You can end up rendering an object on top of another object, but at further distance, which is something that cannot happen IRL and will make you feel uncomfortable to look at.

Things like how reflections are calculated generally aren't perspective correct for VR. Mirrors have to be specifically re-programmed, all kinds of shaders need to be rethought, etc. These shaders end up calculating a single reflection value and then map it flat to the surface when really each eye needs to have slightly different calculations. Or vise versa.

Or you have an object that ends up with a single calculated depth value even though its a 3D object and part of it should be closer and part of it should be further away so it looks flat.

There's not a specific term for that problem I don't think because its actually a myriad of subtle but related problems. Basically just "not rendering VR right". But that's a lot more complicated than it sounds.

The puddle is placed in 3D space flush with the floor, and is rendering on top of the floor like its on top, but it has a depth value that is making it look to your stereoscopic vision like it is further away, which is a paradox.

I guess you could call them spatial paradoxes or spatial inconsistencies?

E: Its a good thing that developers are at least trying their best to re-create consistent Euclidean spaces. If you wanted to, you could intentionally build a VR world that completely violates how everything in the real world looks and feels and create some kind of nightmare paradox escher dimension that would give people massive headaches.

TLDR: Its a result of things in video games not being ray-traced but instead a result of a ton of algorithms that approximate the same results, but sometimes don't get it right.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 18, 2020

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Zaphod42 posted:

If you wanted to, you could intentionally build a VR world that completely violates how everything in the real world looks and feels and create some kind of nightmare paradox escher dimension that would give people massive headaches.

I'd spend about five bux to get a headache looking at something like that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is pretty cool, a co-location shooter, basically an augmented reality laser tag game

They even have a "camera" someone can watch the live action through, pretty wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJXpHp_iQF4

Has anybody played Blaston yet? New 1-versus-1 competitive VR shooter.

Seems pretty smart and fun, but I dunno how much I want competitive VR games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXoEthM4Kw

Foo Diddley posted:

I'd spend about five bux to get a headache looking at something like that

What was the name of that one super super glitchy half-life mod?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

If you wanted to, you could intentionally build a VR world that completely violates how everything in the real world looks and feels and create some kind of nightmare paradox escher dimension that would give people massive headaches.

You mean unpatched fallout 4 vr

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

iron buns posted:

What would you even do with a jailbroken Quest 2? If you don't sign in, you can't use the store and most of the apps. Some sideloaded games might work if they don't use the online services.

I guess you could turn it into a PCVR headset, if you disabled everything except the tracking and output. Someone would have to write the PC side driver for it, though.

Jailbroke means you could sideload VD without needing oculus store and have a wireless headset for steamvr with very little effort.

Makes sense.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

drat now I want Time Crisis, Sniper Elite, and pretty much every single arcade lightgun game in VR.

Crisis Vrigade games are basically Time Crisis in VR.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066180/Crisis_VRigade_2/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Jailbroke means you could sideload VD without needing oculus store and have a wireless headset for steamvr with very little effort.
Unfortunately the dev doesn't want to remove the Facebook authentication for security reasons. Not very convincing, more likely to be because it's effective DRM.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

blue squares posted:

well unfortunately the router is in another room so unless I want to drill a hole in the wall of my apartment or run a cable down the hall (neither of which my girlfriend would allow haha), that's my situation

I got a tp-link wifi powerline extender for this. The computer is plugged into the extender that provides a 5GHz AP dedicated to the Quest. The other end of the extender is plugged into the router in another room. The two ends of the extender communicate over the power lines.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Question, on the quest 2 without a computer, what’s my best option to watch a movie with a friend that I’ve downloaded? I’ve seen Big Screen VR does pay movies and has hinted at private rooms - is that as simple as setting up a room with a friend and adding the video to my quest and boom? Or do I still have to pay to do that

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Unfortunately the dev doesn't want to remove the Facebook authentication for security reasons. Not very convincing, more likely to be because it's effective DRM.

It's not like VD is doing anything particularly unique or special; people just use it because it's comparatively the most polished and best known option. If it disappeared tomorrow people would just use Riftcat or some other streaming implementation instead.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

SgtScruffy posted:

Question, on the quest 2 without a computer, what’s my best option to watch a movie with a friend that I’ve downloaded? I’ve seen Big Screen VR does pay movies and has hinted at private rooms - is that as simple as setting up a room with a friend and adding the video to my quest and boom? Or do I still have to pay to do that

In order to do a synched watch of a movie file, both of you need to have the file on your headset to watch them in Bigscreen. As of now, there's no way to stream a video file from the Quest itself. The only other option is to host the video on a pc via screen mirroring from the steam version of Bigscreen, but I've never seen this work without the video being out of sync with the audio and choppy as hell.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NRVNQSR posted:

It's not like VD is doing anything particularly unique or special; people just use it because it's comparatively the most polished and best known option. If it disappeared tomorrow people would just use Riftcat or some other streaming implementation instead.

Pretty much this.

Origami Dali posted:

In order to do a synched watch of a movie file, both of you need to have the file on your headset to watch them in Bigscreen. As of now, there's no way to stream a video file from the Quest itself. The only other option is to host the video on a pc via screen mirroring from the steam version of Bigscreen, but I've never seen this work without the video being out of sync with the audio and choppy as hell.

Thats on the person whos hostings upload and poo poo. I host movies, they are smooth as butter for everyone. 3D movies with friends is good times.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

No, just people theorycrafting.

Theorycrafting my rear end, I've had an active account banned because it wasn't my real name. There's a lot of extremely good reasons why people don't want their real name tied to products and services online.

Did everyone already forget when Blizzard, like Oculus, tried to tie real names to accounts in the name of "getting people to behave better": https://kotaku.com/blizzards-real-name-forum-policy-has-fans-in-an-uproar-5581209

Is there even anything in the privacy policies that says Facebook can't sell your taste in VR porn to advertising firms?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Did everyone already forget when Blizzard, like Oculus, tried to tie real names to accounts in the name of "getting people to behave better": https://kotaku.com/blizzards-real-name-forum-policy-has-fans-in-an-uproar-5581209

Yeah, I was 100% not ok when blizzard pulled that poo poo. when REALID launched I was stupid thankful I didn't just add anyone to my friends. What a loving privacy nightmare that was. They pretty quickly made it "optional" but yeaaaaaaaah. Forcing everyones real names n poo poo. We had a few females in our squads end up having to just hide for a while.

Facebook don't even have a solution for brand accounts. Like, 100% cannot link any of my brand accounts to a headset/oculus account. I have to use a personal account. But I cannot create a personal account, with brand details, because of the risk of them killing it randomly due to it not being "a real person".

Just good times man.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Theorycrafting my rear end, I've had an active account banned because it wasn't my real name.

Uhh... Read the quote again.. I was referring to the theory of FB banning people for not being 'active enough' on their site. That seems pretty different to your case.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

iron buns posted:

I got a tp-link wifi powerline extender for this. The computer is plugged into the extender that provides a 5GHz AP dedicated to the Quest. The other end of the extender is plugged into the router in another room. The two ends of the extender communicate over the power lines.

I did not even know this technology existed. That is amazing. I’m going to have to read an article on how the hell it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

blue squares posted:

I did not even know this technology existed. That is amazing. I’m going to have to read an article on how the hell it works

he's busy hosting trump fundraisers

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1317871062403538944?s=20