Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Between the new anti-anti-logging stuff in the v25 firmware, the extra RL verification requirements to get a dev account for side loading that took effect the beginning of this month, and the introduction of App Lab as an “official alternative” to SideQuest - I seriously recommend EVERYONE with a Quest hedge against Facebook fuckery by disabling the update service, side loading an android file manager with install permissions, and (if you’re really paranoid) install that third party app launcher that can be launched by holding down the volume button (I forget the name but will edit it in when I’m not mobile). Also buy Virtual Desktop and install the PCVR patch.

In theory, doing the above will mostly protect your device from being locked down as the most Facebook can do currently without pushing a firmware update is lock you out of Unknown Sources. If you already have that launcher and file manager side loaded, you can still install and launch apks even if you get locked out of dev mode. Technically they can also lock you out of Link which is why I suggest buying VD and patching it while you can if you want to future proof PCVR access.

Yes this is all very paranoid but lol it’s Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leathal posted:

Between the new anti-anti-logging stuff in the v25 firmware

What's the new anti-anti-logging stuff?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Make an oculus account and a burner Facebook account.

Occasionally post on the fake Facebook account between now and 2023. Merge your two year old semi active fake Facebook account when the deadline hits and you’re good.

I’ve suggested that goons all friend each other’s fake FB accounts in the past too. I have a legit one though so that’s for y’all to coordinate.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

More people should’ve made Facebook accounts in 2003 when it was still the cool social network then we wouldn’t have this problem.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao If you didn’t have to go to thefacebook.com and sign up with a .edu address

Just smh drat

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've purposefully have my Facebook account barren of content and detail, it has the bare minimum to function and just about every social feature is disabled. Haven't been banned yet, though I'll always consider it a possibility.

My friend recommends are funny, mostly people from India for some reason.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

You have to use your real name, but a bunch of this is wrong. You don't need to make friends or make connections.

https://support.oculus.com/1775053542763938/

On launch during the election a bunch of new accounts got banned as part of the filter to avoid new bot accounts not accounting for Oculus. That was dumb as hell, but since then it seems like it's been fine, and honestly better that they were overzealous stopping that poo poo rather than not. The things to keep in mind are:

1. You have to use your name (which sucks). Using a fake name is a ToS violation that is reasonably easy to detect.

2. Not go on FB and call people slurs

Making friends or liking poo poo doesn't matter.

I’m not saying it will happen to every account but that is definitely a thing which has happened, low likelihood doesn’t make it ok since it prevents you from using things you paid for. As you mentioned, their automated systems have gone haywire and may do so in the future. I agree about being vigilant to prevent bots but then you can’t tie purchases to account status. If you wanna do that, pony up for real moderation.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to ban your account because you're only using it for VR.

I put in the bio of my account "This is only being used for Oculus login, don't expect me to respond to any messages!" No issues to date. The amount of :tinfoil: in this thread is pretty hilarious sometimes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you don't want to gently caress around with Facebook, pay more for a competitor and don't support their poo poo. Simple as that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Grabbed Thief Simulator VR and this is pretty fun.

Flatscreen players: Use a crowbar to destroy these plates
VR players: Grab the plates and smash them against the counter cause you can do that

Also this happened

Do I step out :tinfoil:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yeah I smashed your window AND stole your flatscreen BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I’m curious about this too

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You cannot use adb commands to disable logging in the device. Before you could.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
If you have a facebook account in your real name, which is tied to your mobile number, won't you get auto-suggested as a contact to friends and family and piss them off when you ignore their friend requests?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Picked up a Quest 2 this weekend and holy poo poo this might be the most impressive piece of tech I've bought in a long long time.

So far my favorites are Eleven Table Tennis and Thrill of the fight and of course beat saber.

Printed out this paddle attachment for Eleven which makes it so much better -

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4623428

Currently printing this out for the various shooting games - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4747135

If anyone wants anything 3d printed lemme know!

Had to grab the 3800 case from Harbor Freight too

This thing is so much fun and even the wife loves it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please also download PokerstarsVR, it’s free and great if you like chill social stuff (also helps if you like poker or blackjack) and if you like shooting, Population:1 is primo, get it on oculus because you get the quest and pc version for one price that way.

I have to ask, and I’m not being lovely, I just genuinely don’t understand, what exactly is the point of the 3D printed gun if you can’t see it with the headset on? The paddle I get and that actually looks super useful for eleven table tennis

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 22, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't played Pokerstars in a while but just realized last night that I can do Pokerstars on Steam with OVR Toolkit to watch some bullshit while I'm not playing and man that is :discourse:.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please also download PokerstarsVR, it’s free and great if you like chill social stuff (also helps if you like poker or blackjack) and if you like shooting, Population:1 is primo, get it on oculus because you get the quest and pc version for one price that way.

I have to ask, and I’m not being lovely, I just genuinely don’t understand, what exactly is the point of the 3D printed gun if you can’t see it with the headset on? The paddle I get and that actually looks super useful for eleven table tennis

With a full stock it helps a lot keeping steady, especially with sniper rifles and stuff. It hurts doing other stuff as much as it helps but its pretty fun. The pistol grip I think is just for grip/tactile feel, so the barrel is superflous but the grip adds a different feel. I wouldn't spend money on one but if I had a 3D printer that'd be a neat little toy, especially for something like Pistol Whip.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN
My friends have been really into playing Bridge Crew lately and I've been having a blast playing with my Q2. Sadly, the stock strap and battery isn't enough for these long sessions.

Now that the dust has settled a little on 3rd party straps, is the official battery strap still pretty good? Or should I look into another 3rd party solution?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The pokerstars VR lobby looks amazing now. Glad to see the developers are improving a game that most players haven't spent a dime on.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Population:1 is primo, get it on oculus because you get the quest and pc version for one price that way.

God dammit. I've done stuff like this multiple times already, the marketplace is kind of a mess

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

With a full stock it helps a lot keeping steady, especially with sniper rifles and stuff. It hurts doing other stuff as much as it helps but its pretty fun. The pistol grip I think is just for grip/tactile feel, so the barrel is superflous but the grip adds a different feel. I wouldn't spend money on one but if I had a 3D printer that'd be a neat little toy, especially for something like Pistol Whip.

Ya this, more so for tactical/grip feeling.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What's even better about the paddle is the developer worked with the guy who designed it so there's an option to choose it in game and it re-orientates the paddle to the correct position in game.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ChocNitty posted:

The pokerstars VR lobby looks amazing now. Glad to see the developers are improving a game that most players haven't spent a dime on.

Do they sell hats?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

ChocNitty posted:

roulette and craps when

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

JumpyMonky posted:

My friends have been really into playing Bridge Crew lately and I've been having a blast playing with my Q2. Sadly, the stock strap and battery isn't enough for these long sessions.

Now that the dust has settled a little on 3rd party straps, is the official battery strap still pretty good? Or should I look into another 3rd party solution?

My opinion is it's pretty solid, but note that you don't need to buckle a battery to your head to get extra battery. ANY battery pack with a USB cable can be attached. I frequently just run one from my pocket up my shirt to my HMD.

Do get a better strap though, the cloth one is total crap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JUNGLE BOY posted:

roulette and craps when

They do have blackjack now which just last week I used to turn 700k into 2mil of PokerstarsVR funbux

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Xaintrailles posted:

If you have a facebook account in your real name, which is tied to your mobile number, won't you get auto-suggested as a contact to friends and family and piss them off when you ignore their friend requests?

lol if this is an actual concern of any real person

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Do they sell hats?

Interactive toys you can play with at the table.

Nothing beats winning a hand and then letting off fireworks in the losers face and spraying a bottle of Champaign while taking a drag on a cigarette using a small donkey as a filter.

Everything in that sentence is real and can be yours for minimal $

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I tried the battle royale mode in Rec Room last night on the Quest 2 and I do not recommend it.

It gets incredibly choppy at points, especially in the lobby waiting for all the players to join. It gets so bad that it doesn't even do timewarp or anything, just full on low frame rate.

I got really ill and had to quit after the first round. I did get 4th place though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah rec Royale on the PC even chugs sometimes. If you’re gonna run rec room on the quest, it’s probably best to stick to things other than Royale.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah rec Royale on the PC even chugs sometimes. If you’re gonna run rec room on the quest, it’s probably best to stick to things other than Royale.

I haven't played on PC in forever, but I remember it being horribly optimized and chugging occasionally in most modes. My friends who played on Quest1 made it sound like they never achieved a full frame rate.

The game is popular enough you'd think they could hire someone to fix it. It's so limited graphics wise that it should have a rock solid framerate.

Outside of Rec Royale it has been pretty perfect on the Quest 2 though, even on the other Quest 2 exclusive map.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
3D Charades is the best part of Rec Room IMO. I've had a blast playing that with friends and family. The word pool is very America-centric, though, with vocabulary/brands that my European friends don't recognize.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finally got around to setting up SideQuest and holy poo poo I can play Chex Quest in VR. What the gently caress.

I am brand new to zDoom, does it matter where I buy games like hexen/etc from? Will Steam copies work?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 22, 2021

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I finally got around to setting up SideQuest and holy poo poo I can play Chex Quest in VR. What the gently caress.

I am brand new to zDoom, does it matter where I buy games like hexen/etc from? Will Steam copies work?

As long as you get the .wad files it'll be fine, Steam included. VR zdoom is a lot of fun!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've put off playing Doom wads in VR because I'm afraid once I stop I won't be able to stop playing, I have a hard enough time stopping on flatscreen.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Lemming posted:

Thanks for the kind words about the game, guys. I'm glad people are enjoying it since I worked really hard on it, not to mention the fact that I took a lot of the stuff that we've discussed in this thread over the years about different aspects of VR into the game (things like keeping things grounded, focusing on what's fun about VR, thinking about locomotion, that kind of stuff)

i know at least 1 semi-popular streamer on youtube (almost 300k subs and around 1000 ppl watching each stream live) broadcast yr game yesterday and liked it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcoDRW2P2k

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mischievous Mink posted:

As long as you get the .wad files it'll be fine, Steam included. VR zdoom is a lot of fun!

Hell yeah, thanks! I just splurged on the Doom Classic Collection, plus Hexen/Hexen 2/Heretic, RtCW and Quake 2 so I can play them all in VR

Brutal Doom feels so natural in VR, I love it :kiddo:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

sea of losers posted:

i know at least 1 semi-popular streamer on youtube (almost 300k subs and around 1000 ppl watching each stream live) broadcast yr game yesterday and liked it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcoDRW2P2k

VR Oasis just put up a video, too. Very cool to see people enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpSwwKK_Nvc

edit: It's hilarious listening to how out of breath people get.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Good news, the same guy who made zDoom has also made engine ports for Quake, Quake 2, Half Life, Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.