Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Went ahead and got Star Trek bridge commander and the TNG DLC. Start it with the virtual desktop games menu and it looks great but thinks I have vive wands connected instead of touch controllers. Can’t finish the tutorial because one of the pad direction buttons is missing. Start it with oculus link (cable) and it thinks I have old quest 1 touch controllers but the frame rate is total dogshit, unplayable. In all cases the audio doesn’t pass through to the headset, either.

There’s probably a solution here. Anyone run into this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Went ahead and got Star Trek bridge commander and the TNG DLC. Start it with the virtual desktop games menu and it looks great but thinks I have vive wands connected instead of touch controllers. Can’t finish the tutorial because one of the pad direction buttons is missing. Start it with oculus link (cable) and it thinks I have old quest 1 touch controllers but the frame rate is total dogshit, unplayable. In all cases the audio doesn’t pass through to the headset, either.

There’s probably a solution here. Anyone run into this before?

I'm not sure with VD, but with link, is the framerate bad because its still at 72hz int he desktop app settings, or like reallllly bad. If its super stuttery check to make sure in the tests that it shows its recognized as USB 3, and not showing an error or that its only at usb 2. That happened to me and i couldn't figure out why link was running so bad until I realized the connection test was showing it wasn't recognized as usb 3.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So i picked up Half-Life Alyx.

Its uh..... not the most fun thing ive played to be blunt. Ive been playing VR for years. And people way over shot the hype train on this one for me.

Its controls and mechanics feel like a hodgepodge of all the stuff i find very annoying in vr. The kind of stuff ill put as the "platform gimmicks".

"teleport controls", the "hey look youre in vr" etc. Wowee did you see that, in THREEE DEEE?!?!? YOWZA! Im sure youll love this orb puzzle! Woah dont go so fast there buddy! Vr is *scary* and you could get hurt! Absolutely no speed differences for players. You will move at grandma speed through tiny spaces. You can look at city 17! But dont touch.

Its shooting is alright. The gravity glove mechanic is alright, but pretty annoyingly unresponsive when you really want it to do what you want. Visually the game is detailed, but its city 17. So far the only things to really delight me have involved combine tech. Orb puzzles havent though. Rhys Davies is in this game. I liked Flight of the Concords, thats most of my exposure to him. So i keep expecting more about that level of interaction with his character. The humor of his character works pretty well. Alyx however seems to inapropriately respond to most things with detatched glee, or feigned actiony one liners, much to my confusion. Thematically the game is a action horror game, but tonally the game wants to be a comedy. And nowhere do these things meet well.

I'll have to get further into the game to make a judgement, but honestly, for as slow as the movement, and well pacing of the game is, it hasnt drawn me in well.

Also the game is more of a corridor game then Compound, and at least i can swiftly kick rear end in compound.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just you wait until you find out that the whole game consists of Ravenholm 2 through 12 and there are only like 4 combine combat sequences, where the actual fun things are happening.

Seriously, I'd probably enjoy the game as a whole if it was primarily combine encounters but they for some reason decided to double down on the worst parts of half-life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Talkc posted:

"teleport controls", the "hey look youre in vr" etc. Wowee did you see that, in THREEE DEEE?!?!? YOWZA! Im sure youll love this orb puzzle! Woah dont go so fast there buddy! Vr is *scary* and you could get hurt! Absolutely no speed differences for players. You will move at grandma speed through tiny spaces. You can look at city 17! But dont touch.

Are you upset that the game offers other people teleport controls or did you not go into the options and switch to smooth movement?

Insulting it for "hey look you're in vr" seems silly. But also, if you're the kind of "I've played VR for years sonny boy!" gamer, you should probably have read in this thread already by now how many people are also down on Alyx and think its lame compared to other hardcore VR shooters.

But Alyx is extremely polished and approachable and does what its supposed to. If you don't like it, that's the nature of art. Move on to something you do like.

Jack Trades posted:

Just you wait until you find out that the whole game consists of Ravenholm 2 through 12 and there are only like 4 combine combat sequences, where the actual fun things are happening.

Seriously, I'd probably enjoy the game as a whole if it was primarily combine encounters but they for some reason decided to double down on the worst parts of half-life.

I agree with you somewhat but that's because I'm a horror weenie.

You gotta recognize for many players ravenholm WAS the most memorable part of HL2 and part they love. Different strokes for different folks.

I actually enjoyed creeping around the headcrabs in the dark for the most part though, its Jeff that I would rather do without.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Incidentally, how's the modding scene for Alyx? I honestly could go for some custom combine combat levels.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you upset that the game offers other people teleport controls or did you not go into the options and switch to smooth movement?

Insulting it for "hey look you're in vr" seems silly. But also, if you're the kind of "I've played VR for years sonny boy!" gamer, you should probably have read in this thread already by now how many people are also down on Alyx and think its lame compared to other hardcore VR shooters.

But Alyx is extremely polished and approachable and does what its supposed to. If you don't like it, that's the nature of art. Move on to something you do like.

I agree with you somewhat but that's because I'm a horror weenie.

You gotta recognize for many players ravenholm WAS the most memorable part of HL2 and part they love. Different strokes for different folks.

I actually enjoyed creeping around the headcrabs in the dark for the most part though, its Jeff that I would rather do without.

I am not upset that it offers other people teleport controls. What i am upset with is that the smooth option is some hodge podge of smooth movement with a teleport jump and no faster movement options. The slow movement, along with everything being almost zero action for the entire front end of the game makes it feel really slow and unengaging.

And to be honest, if youre gonna do "Hey look youre in vr!" there are games that do it and make it a hell of a lot more engaging. I seriously feel i would enjoy this game a little more, if i hadnt just played a poo poo ton of Boneworks and Into the Radius before it. Games that do anything and everything Half Life Alyx does a hell of a lot better. And thats not Alyx's fault per se, its just theres a saturation out there that recommends alyx, so i finally dipped in, and im just disappointed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Despite all the jank I did enjoy Boneworks a lot more.
At least it didn't stifle player creativity by heavily restricting any interactions and scripting the rest.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Talkc posted:

I am not upset that it offers other people teleport controls. What i am upset with is that the smooth option is some hodge podge of smooth movement with a teleport jump and no faster movement options. The slow movement, along with everything being almost zero action for the entire front end of the game makes it feel really slow and unengaging.

I'm still confused by this. I played through Alyx with smooth turning and no teleport movement except for certain jumps where it is required. You may not like Alyx which is fine, but I the VR movement mechanics were extremely customizable. It sounds as if maybe the game is a little too slow pace for you.

Personally I loved my Alyx playthrough and I wish it would have gone on longer. Yes some of the VR stuff was gimmicky, but everything had an incredibly polished feel to it that I don't see in many other VR games. Incredible sound, great voice acting, and the best graphics I've seen in VR so far. Little details like picking up a beer bottle and seeing the beer fizzing and sloshing around in it as I move it around is still impressive to me.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I have an Index and I am using it at the maximum IPD. The visual clarity is ok but with some slight movements of the headset the sweetspot can shift a bit and the image get out of focus.

Is there anything I can do to improve on the situation? Like custom lenses or.. ...? Are there further upgrades available for the visual side?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Boneworks is still my #1 favorite VR shooter game, the freedom in it is unparalleled :-) Even if it makes most people barf

edit:

SirTagz posted:

I have an Index and I am using it at the maximum IPD. The visual clarity is ok but with some slight movements of the headset the sweetspot can shift a bit and the image get out of focus.

Is there anything I can do to improve on the situation? Like custom lenses or.. ...? Are there further upgrades available for the visual side?

Try downloading a free IPD measuring app (they use something like a standard magnetic library card for size reference and your phone cam to measure), also try playing with how you adjusted the strap, knob and eye-relief. Valve has a guide on the Index website.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Booyah- posted:

This is what I have, it's excellent

Did you print it yourself or buy it? I see he sells them on Etsy for $80 lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PC VR is still having some good games coming, despite the Quest taking more of the market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JuUmRsHXEY
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265800/Hubris/

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Talkc posted:

So i picked up Half-Life Alyx.

Its uh..... not the most fun thing ive played to be blunt. [...]

That's all pretty much how I felt about Half Life 2, so in a sense it's in good company.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AEMINAL posted:

Boneworks is still my #1 favorite VR shooter game, the freedom in it is unparalleled :-) Even if it makes most people barf

Boneworks would be the best singleplayer VR shooter if it didn't move your head unless your IRL head moved.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Movement is HL Alyx is somewhat slow, yeah. It isn't Quake or Call of Duty.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I played Alyx entirely with teleportation and manually turning my body, which is probably why I found it incredibly zippy and involving. But I tend to be extremely impatient with games, so I find teleportation movement really satisfying anyway, and I had a blast with it in this game. Jeff in particular I can see being really frustrating without the ability to manoeuvre around him at speed, but as it was I thought that chapter was one of the best, tense and measured but with plenty of options to rush past him. Same with pretty much any combat section, backing around corners and rushing for cover was pretty thrilling.

Manual moving is slow as hell and they should have fixed that, given that combat involves a lot of arenas full of cover and combine soldiers that attempt to outflank you; if there isn't already a mod to fix it then I imagine there will be at some point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I seamlessly switched between stick and teleport, using the latter mostly as a substitute for a run button.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

marumaru posted:

Boneworks would be the best singleplayer VR shooter if it didn't move your head unless your IRL head moved.

I have about 700 games in my Steam library and Boneworks is the only one I wish I could get a refund on because of this. I have tried for over eight hours during the past year to pop back in and finish it but every limb and your head bouncing erratically off of every solid surface is so maddeningly nauseating that it is never going to happen, especially in a game that requires you to climb on things constantly. After about 40 minutes, it makes me feel so goddamned sick that I wind up packing the headset up and not using it for a month or longer. I can do ailerons in vr flight sims, surf and grapple in Jet Island, float or zoom around in zero G, and yet nothing makes me wanna curl up and die like standing next to any solid object in Boneworks.

It's also strange that it took months to implement mid-level checkpoints while making the player go through a first level museum about how all other VR titles are inferior. :downs:

If there is ever an update or a way to make your head not be a bobble head on top of a spring, please let me know so I can actually go back and finish this game.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There were a couple of times in Alyx where teleporting was mandatory but I apparently wasn't standing in the right spot for the indicator to come up so I got "stuck" for a bit, that's honestly my only real complaint with the movement controls.

I found the weapon reloading to be a lot worse of a problem, especially with how the OG Vive wands are hard to grip firmly without accidentally triggering the grip buttons.

Jeff was a lot of fun, I didn't find him particularly hard to deal with using smooth motion but I could definitely see teleportation making that section really easy to cheese.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think that Zombieland game looks like rear end. I dunno, maybe it's the fact that it's another zombies game but that trailer did nothing for me. I'm still more interested in your game, Zaphod!

Also I played Crisis Vrigade last night and hooboy. It's bad!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bloodplay it again posted:

I have about 700 games in my Steam library and Boneworks is the only one I wish I could get a refund on because of this. I have tried for over eight hours during the past year to pop back in and finish it but every limb and your head bouncing erratically off of every solid surface is so maddeningly nauseating that it is never going to happen, especially in a game that requires you to climb on things constantly. After about 40 minutes, it makes me feel so goddamned sick that I wind up packing the headset up and not using it for a month or longer. I can do ailerons in vr flight sims, surf and grapple in Jet Island, float or zoom around in zero G, and yet nothing makes me wanna curl up and die like standing next to any solid object in Boneworks.

It's also strange that it took months to implement mid-level checkpoints while making the player go through a first level museum about how all other VR titles are inferior. :downs:

If there is ever an update or a way to make your head not be a bobble head on top of a spring, please let me know so I can actually go back and finish this game.

god i had forgotten the stupid "we have created art, not a game" museum. they had their vive wands so far up their rear end that they forgot to implement checkpoints.

sometimes (rarely) in pavlov lag or walls can make your head move without your IRL head moving, and it's nauseating. the fact that that's a common occurrence in boneworks, by design, is baffling

just git gud lmao this is not a game for beginners :smug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hot Take: I went back to Boneworks after playing Pop1 for a while and it’s real bad. I get that they are different games but the climbing in Boneworks is frustrating now to the point of making me not want to mess with it. Also the floppy rubber arms you get when you hold a gun are terrible. The guns just waving out in the wind

The walking and actual shooting are still good and maybe I could get back into that but now I’m of the opinion that Alyx’s restraint actually works in its favor and other games are now doing climbing a lot better. Boneworks climbing is maaaaaaaybe more realistic you could argue but it’s too frustrating now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SCheeseman posted:

I seamlessly switched between stick and teleport, using the latter mostly as a substitute for a run button.

Yeah, I actually really appreciated this. I'm tall so there were times where I didn't always "fit" in the environment and being able to teleport was pretty nice.

I think if you're going in wanting a shooter you'll be disappointed but as a exploration/puzzle/action hybrid it's extremely well done. Not a big deal if its not your thing though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I really appreciated the fact that turning on stick movement didn't disable teleporting, it was super nice to be able to switch between the two without dropping into a menu.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found the stick movement in Alyx to be way less nauseating than the stick movement in any other game for me, not sure what it is but I usually get kind of queasy with stick movement but tried it for Alyx on a whim and was pleasantly surprised.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There's a video somewhere where they went through a bunch of real subtle stuff valve did to make smooth motion more palatable. Things like wall color and layout, how you start and come to a stop, things like that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lockback posted:

There's a video somewhere where they went through a bunch of real subtle stuff valve did to make smooth motion more palatable. Things like wall color and layout, how you start and come to a stop, things like that.

That's awesome if they did that. It really makes a huge difference.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More Facebook news that I'm sure it will delight people!
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-policy-disallows-cloud-vr

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bit misleading for the article to spend a paragraph on Virtual Desktop when the policy itself is about cloud streaming services like GeForce Now and their statement on the decision specifically says wireless streaming from a local source is still perfectly fine.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

More Facebook news that I'm sure it will delight people!
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-policy-disallows-cloud-vr

lol there has never been a really successful cloud game streaming service, low latency is key to VR comfort, this is one facebook policy that's actually good

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They really need to get that workshop or whatever up. Facebook wants a heavily curated store (which is fine and has some pluses) but the ecosystem really needs more experimentation that things like VD or even cloud gaming can give. Getting that experimental store or whatever would is really a requirement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally, how's the modding scene for Alyx? I honestly could go for some custom combine combat levels.

There's at least a few people working on maps, but they all seem to be chugging along, I'm not sure if there's anything polished that's been released yet but we should get some new levels soon :)

Talkc posted:

I seriously feel i would enjoy this game a little more, if i hadnt just played a poo poo ton of Boneworks and Into the Radius before it. Games that do anything and everything Half Life Alyx does a hell of a lot better. And thats not Alyx's fault per se, its just theres a saturation out there that recommends alyx, so i finally dipped in, and im just disappointed.

I'm glad you enjoy those other games, but this is definitely 100% a matter of personal preference and something the thread is very split on. Half of the goons ITT have said exactly what you just did, but the other half of us have said the DIRECT opposite. I still haven't beaten boneworks, it makes me feel sick. (Funny enough rolling my car in Dirt isn't a problem, but climbing on a wall in Boneworks is barf city)

Meanwhile Alyx was one of the most polished and memorable gaming experiences I've ever had, VR or not, and the ending was extremely rad and has implications for the HL universe in a way I love.

Its like saying Hitman is BETTER than Assassin's Creed because it lets you just go around doing what you want. Like, sure, I prefer some games that are more systems-driven, but I'm not going to tell someone who enjoyed the Assassin's Creed story that they're wrong and my favorite game is just better in every way. That's not how art works, especially when they're not even trying to do the same thing. But sorry you were disappointed, just, don't act like the thread was lying, some people legit love that game and it does have lots of value.

explosivo posted:

I think that Zombieland game looks like rear end. I dunno, maybe it's the fact that it's another zombies game but that trailer did nothing for me. I'm still more interested in your game, Zaphod!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 5, 2021

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Picked up a new PC today that can actually handle Oculus Link/Steam VR I modded Alien isolation and played that for a bit it’s good fun and looks great, a few little glitches here and for some reason the controls constantly make me crouch etc I’m gonna have a play around to see if I can sort that out.

Are there any on-rails shooters available on steam or oculus?? One of my favourite games on PSVR was Rush of Blood so I’m on the look out for something similar.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Is Population One actually quality like Alyx or just more VR jank?

I know VR jank can be fun but I'm looking for some good VR games that are actually comfortable to play

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Alyx is just like every Halflife game: impressive set pieces, above average writing and they focus tested all the edges off for maximum accessibility.

Its remarkable mainly because Valve spent more money and time on it than any other company would invest on a VR title because they wanted something to flog with the index.

I'm the dude who thinks Valve's design philosophy is incredibly flawed and leads to games that feel too much like guided experiences. Like Portal 2 is an amazingly well presented and written but its barely a puzzle game because the game uses every trick it has to guide the player towards the one valid solution. Its really shocking how many rooms actually only have portalable surfaces in ecatly the locations you need to place them. The final portal in the game is scripted to fire the correct colour even if you press the other button.

Some people are fine with games that are just guided experiences and the things that annoys me about Valve games are probably things those people like.

For me however I really enjoyed Alyx. Turns out I'm more appreciative of the focus tested frictionless guided experience approach when I'm on a countdown to nausea in my shame helmet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

Like Portal 2 is an amazingly well presented and written but its barely a puzzle game because the game uses every trick it has to guide the player towards the one valid solution. Its really shocking how many rooms actually only have portalable surfaces in ecatly the locations you need to place them. The final portal in the game is scripted to fire the correct colour even if you press the other button.

Some people are fine with games that are just guided experiences...

quote:

Some people...

98% positive reviews on Steam.

Sorry, I thought it was pretty funny.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 5, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AndrewP posted:

Is Population One actually quality like Alyx or just more VR jank?

I know VR jank can be fun but I'm looking for some good VR games that are actually comfortable to play

Population One is definitely on the VR Jank side but its also pretty enjoyable if you want that sort of thing? This isn't really a true/false binary, its a false dichotomy so I don't know how to answer you. I think its definitely "quality". But I don't think ANY VR game is half as polished as Alyx. Its one of very few proper AAA VR games.

Pop 1 is LITERALLY VR Fortnite so that should be all you need to know to decide if its your thing or not.

If your concern is about VR comfort then Pop 1 is probably not for you. But that is an entirely tangential discussion to quality or polish.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Gaz2k21 posted:

Picked up a new PC today that can actually handle Oculus Link/Steam VR I modded Alien isolation and played that for a bit it’s good fun and looks great, a few little glitches here and for some reason the controls constantly make me crouch etc I’m gonna have a play around to see if I can sort that out.

Are there any on-rails shooters available on steam or oculus?? One of my favourite games on PSVR was Rush of Blood so I’m on the look out for something similar.

Its an older game, but 'Arctika.1' is a pretty straightforward on rails shooter in a 'house of the dead' vein almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He's right to be fair, Valve games are stupendously well crafted on the first playthrough, but lose a lot of their shine on the second. That isn't necessarily a criticism, there's plenty of heavily guided FPSs and they're among the best of them, and Alyx is the same for better or worse. I'm doing the gnome run and having fun listening to the dev commentary, but I could do the game in my sleep now; I'm super glad I completed it but definitely won't be coming back for a good few years. And I guess if it doesn't grab you the first time, it probably won't at all. C'est la vie!

Slightly related note, I'm watching an Alyx speedrun and I wonder what could be achieved if you had all the space in the world to run around. Like, how big can a play space be on any given device, theoretically, and does Alyx account for that much travel (or any VR game)? What could a VR speedrunner achieve with an aircraft hanger, a Quest and a decent wi-fi connection?