Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Valve, in my mind, really dropped the ball on VR software. Yes they have made good, competent VR headsets and SteamVR is very important but they really didn’t do anything on the software side other than Alyx.

Recall back in the day they bought the team that made Portal, they did the same with the team fortress and counterstrike teams.

The games that resulted from that are legendary, genre defining games that changed the face of the industry. There are a ton of games that just wouldn’t exist today if not for them.

They could have done that for VR. They produced this amazing new hardware, not once but twice and then just went “well, I guess make games or something, we don’t know”. They have the money, the leverage and the reach to dominate the industry but they just for some reason don’t do it and it’s really frustrating.

They bought Campo Santo, who helped out with Alyx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tried yesterday SSW in VD with Budget Cuts 2 and I didn't like it a lot, I had subtitles activated, so the changes on the subtitle window would provoke weird looking artifacts on that area of the screen. They were distracting.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Stan Taylor posted:

Gotta say trying out airlink with basically no discernible lag makes me think anyone with a headset that has to be plugged in during use is an absolute sucker. I’m still on my rift s at home and the cable is easily my biggest gripe. I would be so pissed if I dropped index money and was stuck with the cable after trying out a full wireless setup.

I want wireless and I would sacrifice the image quality of the G2 to some extent to get it but I'm not giving another red cent to oculus / facebook. I've had a (clearly bullshit, but with real last name as URL) FB account for like 3 years for the minimal other things I need FB for, not interested in going down that rabbit hole again.

It's an obnoxious state of affairs.

I don't have issues turning around in alyx; I have some ghetto OCM I use sometimes but mostly I just accept that I can feel the cable touch my shoulder/back sometimes. It helps that seated sims are ~50% + of what I want out of VR, and I don't notice the cable in beat saber, pistol whip, etc. Full environments, yes, it's annoying, I would spend $1000 tomorrow for a wireless headset on par with the G2. What I am seeing of the Vive2 is not doing it for me, but we'll see if they get there.

re: house sizes

Lol. Our house is 195 square meters with a 98 square meter basement, and unless I want to play in the basement I still struggled to get a full 8x12' space setup clear and free in my office. That's fine after arranging the furniture to optimize for it in a 10x17 room, but it's not even that big.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 18, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LOL, a bit less than half than USA for me...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Smash Drums is out, with 21 songs, $20
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3630025217090808/?utm_source=vrsort.com

I'm a bit confused why Oculus didn't let this release outside of App Lab, and it isn't janky at all and it's a good concept.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A lot of 5* reviews comparing it to beat saber and synth riders with no mention of Ragnarock, how does this one stack up to the other drumming game? The lack of a song list anywhere is slightly concerning to me.

Edit: I guess I could just try the demo :v:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

explosivo posted:

The lack of a song list anywhere is slightly concerning to me.

Its no one ive ever heard of, but you get a wide range of songs on the full game. There is a driving metal song, pop punk sounds, even a slower more country western song

I played for about 90 minutes or more yesterday and make sure you take a break and remember you dont have to SMASH THEM DRUMS because my arm hurts now =(

There are 3 unlockable songs you get as you earn rock stars, and you can also customize the look of your kit too

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

A lot of 5* reviews comparing it to beat saber and synth riders with no mention of Ragnarock, how does this one stack up to the other drumming game? The lack of a song list anywhere is slightly concerning to me.

Edit: I guess I could just try the demo :v:

I didn't like Ragnarok, as I felt there was no good match between the drumming and the songs. This one is better in that regard, and it's more engaging as there are light / medium / heavy drum hits, and cymbals. So the brief time I tried Ragnarok it felt to me as a arcade rhythm game that happen to have viking metal music, and Smash Drums more like actually playing in a rock song.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What I want is first person Rock Band drums in VR, where I can position the in game kit to match the position of my real world e-kit. Guessing that niche of a niche won't happen unless I figure it out myself though.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

sethsez posted:

They bought Campo Santo, who helped out with Alyx.

Firewatch VR when? :(

Larcenauts devs released a patch overnight that fixed a lot of bugs, still broken SteamVR support for non-oculus headsets. I played for a few hours yesterday. It's fun, got a lot of potential, bit janky right now.

They clearly needed more playtesting - most of the gripes from the day one players are that it has made decisions to make sprinting and reloading more like how flat games do it - i.e. hit a button and an animation plays. It breaks immersion and feels weird to watch your arms do things for you.

Other strange little design choices like when you're in your 'home' ship i.e. where you configure loadouts and challenge rewards etc, you have to pick up a clicker object if you want to interact with menus.

Most of these are being fixed. But it's fun, art design is neat, runs v well and looks great on the quest 2.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Enos Cabell posted:

What I want is first person Rock Band drums in VR, where I can position the in game kit to match the position of my real world e-kit. Guessing that niche of a niche won't happen unless I figure it out myself though.

Paradiddle might be for you, you can set up your kit however you want or use presets like Neil Peart or some other drummer i cant name right now

https://sidequestvr.com/app/1524/paradiddle
https://paradiddleapp.com/

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Saw Quest 2 was $250 at Target yesterday, not sure if it’s still live but I also just saw that it’s $250 on Amazon right now.

Edit: or maybe not? Wario64 posted both of them 3 hours ago but it looks like $299 when I click through?

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 18, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Paradiddle might be for you, you can set up your kit however you want or use presets like Neil Peart or some other drummer i cant name right now

https://sidequestvr.com/app/1524/paradiddle
https://paradiddleapp.com/

Thanks, this is pretty awesome! If I could somehow combine this with hand tracking, to allow for holding actual sticks and hitting real drums aligned with their virtual counterpart, and the ability to read rb3con tracks, I would be in heaven. Hell, I'm talking myself into actually trying it.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

explosivo posted:

Blaston's reviews are taking a hit on Steam after this announcement about the ads, the developer was replying to each one saying "the steam version isn't subject to the ads but thanks for the feedback!" lol

They’re responding to Quest reviews too. I got one that said basically “No ads yet but they’re coming this summer! Thanks for the feedback and contact Oculus Support if you have any questions about the Advertiser Program!”

That last part is kinda strange and almost reads like Facebook is leaning on the devs to include ads but maybe I’m just wildly paranoid about FB.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leathal posted:

They’re responding to Quest reviews too. I got one that said basically “No ads yet but they’re coming this summer! Thanks for the feedback and contact Oculus Support if you have any questions about the Advertiser Program!”

That last part is kinda strange and almost reads like Facebook is leaning on the devs to include ads but maybe I’m just wildly paranoid about FB.

You want to play in their walled garden you have to obey the gardener's... suggestions.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Also I randomly came across this post on the Deus Ex subreddit made by a guy who’s supposedly writing a wrapper to make OG DX use Unreal 4 as the graphics pipeline. Sharing it here because he mentions several times that his primary goal is to put DX into VR and his way of going about it seems like it might actually be doable.

Basically you’ll need to be running the original game in the background and his wrapper will intercept the UE1 graphics output calls and translate them to UE4. Game logic, textures, models, etc all get provided by the original game.

This isn’t my field of expertise but it sounds a lot more doable than the average “hey guys I’m porting OldGame to CryEngine pls subscribe to my Patreon” bullshit.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/o0uafl/currently_making_og_deus_ex_run_directly_in_ue4/

Edit: lol

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
OMG JC a bomb!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Leathal posted:

I kinda got that vibe from the steam replies too. Like they had to have known they were going to get shelled when this news came out but they're probably(?) getting paid handsomely to do it so just weather the storm with the boilerplate response until it blows over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Leathal posted:

Also I randomly came across this post on the Deus Ex subreddit made by a guy who’s supposedly writing a wrapper to make OG DX use Unreal 4 as the graphics pipeline.

:psyduck:

What?

I could see making a wrapper so that it uses modern DirectX instead, but I don't see from a technical standpoint how you make a wrapper that invokes Unreal 4. That doesn't make sense.

Not saying its totally impossible, I'm not the world's foremost expert, but I do know a thing or two and that sounds pretty bonkers to me.
At that point you're just re-building Deus Ex in Unreal, not building a wrapper. That's more like a port, or a full remaster.

Leathal posted:

Basically you’ll need to be running the original game in the background and his wrapper will intercept the UE1 graphics output calls and translate them to UE4. Game logic, textures, models, etc all get provided by the original game.

So... UE4 is supposed to load all of the texture assets (and models, etc.) in real-time as the UE1 calls are coming through??? Or how do you pre-fetch them all from the UE1 game? That doesn't sound right.

quote:

This isn't so much a "port" in the sense that I'm re-creating the game in UE4 , porting over the logic/assets, etc. No, instead this REQUIREs you to have a copy of Deus Ex running in the background (with my mod) to get it running in UE4. All the game logic, and even the graphics assets, come from UE1, to preserve the pure form, the I do some magic in UE4 to make it render there. As it stands right now, all of DX1 already runs in my mod, because it runs in UE1. I'll release more details as I make more progress, but it essentially means the purity of the original DX1 logic with the rendering features and mod-ability of UE4. My goal is I want DX1 to be playable in VR, that's what I'll deliver, with a minimum shippable product that allows legacy play on a flat monitor. I'm currently pushing towards flat monitor play first.

I mean, this isn't completely nonsense, this is the approach that say, Halo: Master Chief Collection took. Both engines are running side-by-side, and the Halo 4 engine is just rendering what the Halo 1 engine tells it to, so the game logic stays the same.

However, that took an entire AAA development studio to pull off, and still involved porting all the game assets from Halo 1 to Halo 4 (and remaking them in higher resolution)

This sounds ridiculously ambitious for a solo dev, and the fact that all he has to show is a single render of JC makes me think its basically bullshit.

He's probably just got it running such that they're networked together locally, acting like a multiplayer game. That's still going to require heavy modification of Deus Ex 1 and rebuilding most of Deus Ex inside of Unreal, even if "its running off the old engine" you still need to set all those assets up inside Unreal 4.

Sounds hacky at best, straight up lies at worst. If he ever gets it to run in VR performance is going to be poo poo and there are going to be bugs everywhere.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 18, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

holy poo poo this is all that I've ever wanted, literally my favorite game of all time and I regularly think about how great it would be in VR

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Progress so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1riO7JurLk

Don't hold your breath guys.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

Progress so far:

That's from 5 months ago. 2 days ago they got the most important part of the game working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lh4d6CZuNc

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I dunno why, but I really get the feeling that Facebook will just unceremoniously dump their VR project when it proves to be a lot less lucrative than they thought. If they're already resorting to in-game ads and buying up all the talent I have a feeling that'll be sooner rather than later. I mean they have infinite money to burn but the shareholders want results, results that I doubt they're getting yet.

They may be "dominating the market" but right now that market is really small. They're pulling a Nintendo Wii with rock bottom hardware prices but not moving anywhere near Wii numbers. And if selling customer data was that profitable would they need in-game ads?

And yeah I'm talking out of my rear end.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Progress so far:

Yeah, there is a reason almost no one is making immersive sims. They are very time consuming to make. Even if you port over all the assets, you need to implement all the game mechanics, and immsims are about having all the game mechanics, and making them interact.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rectus posted:

Yeah, there is a reason almost no one is making immersive sims. They are very time consuming to make. Even if you port over all the assets, you need to implement all the game mechanics, and immsims are about having all the game mechanics, and making them interact.

Did you miss the whole discussion about driving UE4 off the original game logic?

Thing is that approach has massive technical hurdles he won't be able to resolve.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

King Vidiot posted:

And if selling customer data was that profitable would they need in-game ads?

You misunderstand their business.

Facebook doesn't sell customer data, they sell ads that you can target based on their customer data.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I dunno why, but I really get the feeling that Facebook will just unceremoniously dump their VR project when it proves to be a lot less lucrative than they thought. If they're already resorting to in-game ads and buying up all the talent I have a feeling that'll be sooner rather than later. I mean they have infinite money to burn but the shareholders want results, results that I doubt they're getting yet.

They may be "dominating the market" but right now that market is really small. They're pulling a Nintendo Wii with rock bottom hardware prices but not moving anywhere near Wii numbers. And if selling customer data was that profitable would they need in-game ads?

Every Quest release has grown the market by huge numbers (as opposed to just capturing larger shares of a stagnate market). I think their obvious eventual goal is AR, but as long as people are buying VR, they're not going to back down.

Facebook doesn't "resort" to ads, it is core to their business. Data tracking and advertising is the whole point and the 2 go hand in hand. One without the other is pointless..

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tip posted:

You misunderstand their business.

Facebook doesn't sell customer data, they sell ads that you can target based on their customer data.

in fact, they buy customer data, and if you have a Facebook account there's even a page that shows you specifically who is selling your customer data to Facebook (the answer is "basically everyone")

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

This seems backwards, like they're pretty clearly keeping up investments, and the Quest is finally getting traction for VR generally. Their investment is just starting to pay off, and they're so far ahead of everyone else that it would've been a huge waste to get here and now give up

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Lemming posted:

and they're so far ahead of everyone else that it would've been a huge waste to get here and now give up

Yeah that's what Google would do.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you miss the whole discussion about driving UE4 off the original game logic?

Thing is that approach has massive technical hurdles he won't be able to resolve.

I didn't. My point is that with your conclusion that he'd have to rebuild the game in UE4, it's gonna be even harder since a genre of game that is notoriously difficult to make.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Check out a goon (me) -made VR game in Steam Next Fest: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523510/Cave_Digger_2_Dig_Harder/

Cave Digger 2 is a Finnish indie game which has been in production for 7 months, but we already got working multiplayer crossplay between PC, Quest, PSVR and Rift. This time we added free-form mining, multiplayer, combat and a story while retaining the quirky western dieselpunk setting. I'm proud as gently caress as we present this baby to the world for the first time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rectus posted:

I didn't. My point is that with your conclusion that he'd have to rebuild the game in UE4, it's gonna be even harder since a genre of game that is notoriously difficult to make.

I mean either one is going to be a massive task, no other way about it. There's just no magic button to port an old game to UE4.

How many mechanics does Deus Ex 1 really have though? IDK. Compared to whatever approach he's imagining where the assets are streamed in real-time between engines (pretty sure he's just not doing this and the assets are being ported over and its only game logic being driven by the old engine. And even then...)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kharan posted:

Check out a goon (me) -made VR game in Steam Next Fest: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523510/Cave_Digger_2_Dig_Harder/

Cave Digger 2 is a Finnish indie game which has been in production for 7 months, but we already got working multiplayer crossplay between PC, Quest, PSVR and Rift. This time we added free-form mining, multiplayer, combat and a story while retaining the quirky western dieselpunk setting. I'm proud as gently caress as we present this baby to the world for the first time.

So like a VR Deeprock? I'm so loving in. The trailer was pretty funny too. I've got some friends who I played a lot of DRG with that now have Quests so I might try to convince them to try the demo out with me.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean either one is going to be a massive task, no other way about it. There's just no magic button to port an old game to UE4.

Yeah I figured as much. The way he described going about it seemed at least feasible since usually the attention seeking fake fan projects focus on graphical poo poo like texture/model upscaling.

You obviously know a lot more about this sort of thing that I do so consider my hopes dashed. Which is the second time that’s happened regarding Deus Ex in the past week after Ubi Montreal’s new game turned out to be Guardians of the Galaxy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Zuck sees himself as the cyber messiah guiding the evolution of human interaction, and at this point he's probably right. No way will he give it up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leathal posted:

Yeah I figured as much. The way he described going about it seemed at least feasible since usually the attention seeking fake fan projects focus on graphical poo poo like texture/model upscaling.

You obviously know a lot more about this sort of thing that I do so consider my hopes dashed. Which is the second time that’s happened regarding Deus Ex in the past week after Ubi Montreal’s new game turned out to be Guardians of the Galaxy.

I mean he claims to be a serious u3/u4 graphics programmer so maybe he's actually a genius and knows stuff I don't. I'd love to be wrong.

But I have doubts lol.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Origami Dali posted:

Zuck sees himself as the cyber messiah guiding the evolution of human interaction, and at this point he's probably right. No way will he give it up.

lol, he's a dumb libertarian dork and all he cares about is that he's obscenely wealthy and the world has to eat his poo poo.

As for Facebook's business model, I guess it makes sense that they're more concerned with ads than just generically "selling your data". It just seems like this "putting ads in VR" thing is being handled in the most ham-handed and dumb way and they're getting massive pushback from it. It won't really change anything and their only response will be boilerplate corporate speak, but yeah. I just kind of don't see putting ads in VR as being that lucrative, and most people use adblock outside of VR... but then I'm no Cyber Messiah so what do I know?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Drug smuggling flight sim looks like it might be dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOqs8dKIi4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Top Golf is doing a beta test of their full courses:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf4gAw1rhGbqvZF0aWVsVtMwzWqr8unHTnH-CO6Kdz0EOM8Fg/viewform

It looks like you can sign up even if you don't own the game, but if you do own it and sign up and review the game they'll send you a key you can give away to a friend.

What's kinda ridiculous is that if your friend redeems the key, signs up for the beta, and leaves a review they'll also receive a free key.

I've got a few friends setting up a daisy chain so that soon all my Quest friends will have a copy.