Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't know Valheim had a VR mod. Then again I have never played it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/o4b9cr/valheim_vr_mod_now_updated_with_full_vrik_and/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started to play A Rogue Escape, and it's a really interesting title. Immersive, and a very original genre blend. Although, for the same reason I find it very original, I also have to say it's a... acquired taste type of title.
It's a mix of puzzle game/escape room where you have to learn what each button and lever does (and of course everything is unlabeled) and adventure/strategic game, where you find resources like fuel and repair kits, you have to use stealth to avoid enemies, travel to different islands, you even at some point find a weapon to mount in your ship.
It actually reminds me of some of the text adventures of Space Rangers 2, if you get that reference.

The game pitifully doesn't focus on any story, world building or characters, and I say that because the little text that refers to the world, it hints to a cool scifi steampunk setting with noble houses, oppressed populace, and mech/ships navigating magnetic storms in between islands in some alien planet with almost magitech type of technology. I would like more of that!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Turin Turambar posted:

It actually reminds me of some of the text adventures of Space Rangers 2, if you get that reference.

DO I loving EVER! :swoon:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Oh neat I was waiting on motion controls before picking this up.

Hopefully my expectations aren’t too high - Risk of Rain’s VR mod is currently my favorite VR thing since Alyx by a country mile.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This game grabbed my friends and I hard for about a month, now I have another reason to pop in again!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Risk of Rain 2 VR Mod Update 2.1.0 is out, and it finally fixes the UI being stuck to your forehead and blocking your view like a sticker-bombed hockey mask. You should be able to launch RoR mod manager and update it through there.

Patch notes

Added a wrist HUD setting that attaches the healthbar, money display and skills to the wrist.

Added a watch HUD setting that attaches the inventory, chat, difficulty, objective and allies to a watch-like HUD.

Added a smooth HUD setting that adds smoothing to the camera HUD when moving the headset.

Added a spectator screen that appears in front of you when spectating players.

Added "Ray color" and "Ray opacity" settings to customize the aim ray.

Added new HD models for Loader's hands, Bandit's shotgun and Bandit's revolver.

Removed "UI scale" setting as it already exists in-game.

Removed the center smoke effect on Bandit's stealth ability for improved visibility.

Possibly fixed a bug that caused the Heretic wings to appear on the wrong player which would break some abilities.

Fixed a bug that caused Heretic's primary skill projectiles to not appear from the hand after transforming.

Fixed a bug that caused Vive Cosmos controllers to use the standard Vive controller binds.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I was thinking of how great this can be, then I thought about the swamps.

Then I thought about the leviathan :gonk:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Surv1v3 is out (of EA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGl5Ct3r4g

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Anyone care to share their opinions on the game? I'm really interested in it but the few gameplay videos I've watched on youtube haven't really sold it to me. Are there multiple types of zombies or are they all slow shamblers?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Someone (who worked on Outer Wilds mod) is doing a Firewatch VR mod now

https://uploadvr.com/firewatch-vr-mod/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This looks rad, I'd be curious to hear any impressions as well if someone here's played it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

King Vidiot posted:

Anyways, I've been getting back into Half-Life: Alyx and yesterday I ran into my first major framerate issues in a VR game with the fight in chapter 5 against the lightning dogs. I think it was the volumetric fog and/or lighting, but my framerates started to noticeably tank while I was down in that pit. Outside of that the game's been fine, maybe a little hitchy sometimes.
What kind of setup are you using? I was thinking of playing soon with my old 1080, but I don't want to waste my time if it will turn into a slideshow during fights.

Turin Turambar posted:

Someone (who worked on Outer Wilds mod) is doing a Firewatch VR mod now

https://uploadvr.com/firewatch-vr-mod/

I didn't care for Firewatch, but the Outer Wilds VR mod was amazing. Really good to see this person is still making stuff.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kinda awesome that modders are giving us some of the best VR experiences (from Subnautica to Risk of Rain 2 to Outer Wilds). Alas, it's also very telling of the current state of the market that the best VR experiences are 2d games with a VR mod.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yes, but can I interest you in a... MUSIC RHYTHM GAME?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Professor Wayne posted:

What kind of setup are you using? I was thinking of playing soon with my old 1080, but I don't want to waste my time if it will turn into a slideshow during fights.

I didn't care for Firewatch, but the Outer Wilds VR mod was amazing. Really good to see this person is still making stuff.

I have an index, 1080, and i9-9900 and Alyx runs perfectly.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Professor Wayne posted:

2060 Super with a Core i7 (can't remember model number and I'm at work). It was just that one fight so far, and it wasn't unplayable or make me sick, it was just noticeably slower. Like it went from 90 fps to 50ish, as far as I could tell without seeing my actual framerate.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sales in Oculus
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/1240081873074081/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Think that's a link that isn't active yet, it doesn't lead to anything for me. Though it did alert me that there's a game coming out that is effectively Battle Chess VR.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5353996901307344/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Think that's a link that isn't active yet, it doesn't lead to anything for me. Though it did alert me that there's a game coming out that is effectively Battle Chess VR.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5353996901307344/

It does for me, lol. Here they are:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ooh half price Moss..

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That seems pretty cool of them, I wonder what type of initial deal was made with Oculus that they even have the ability to say "lol jk"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

That seems pretty cool of them, I wonder what type of initial deal was made with Oculus that they even have the ability to say "lol jk"

Maybe the didn't have a deal at all? Maybe FB said to them 'hey we noticed you have a sport game with some banners on the side, do you want to beta test this ad system with us? You get the profits, we get the data to know how it work' and they said 'ok, sounds good!'.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lol, I just started the game, and there is publicity, bhaptics logo is all around you.
Meanwhile, people are congratulating themselves on Reddit. We did it!

I guess it isn't ads of Facebook doesn't provide them...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Maybe the didn't have a deal at all? Maybe FB said to them 'hey we noticed you have a sport game with some banners on the side, do you want to beta test this ad system with us? You get the profits, we get the data to know how it work' and they said 'ok, sounds good!'.

They did say the test was opt-in, so maybe the Blaston devs were the only ones to actually opt-in with everyone else realising it was probably not a great idea to piss off your playerbase in a small market.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Turin Turambar posted:

I mean, do you even doubt this was about metrics acquisition more than ads?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol, I just started the game, and there is publicity, bhaptics logo is all around you.
Meanwhile, people are congratulating themselves on Reddit. We did it!

Essentially, yeah. The issue isn't ads as a concept, the issue is dynamic ads delivered by a third party. It sucks in the form of banner ads, it sucks in F2P mobile games, and it'd suck in VR. I care significantly less about standard product placement or sponsorships because the developer is still ultimately responsible for what goes in and where. The chances of an anti-vax ad or a banner that can execute malicious code sneaking through are nil.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finally got around to trying the Risk of Rain 2 VR mod and oh my god

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Woooo, playing Blade & Sorcery sitting down after a nightcap wasn't such a great idea.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

I finally got around to trying the Risk of Rain 2 VR mod and oh my god

here, you should download the auto sprint mod, so you don't have to always be holding down the left thumbstick

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

explosivo posted:

I'm curious to hear your findings as I'm also without an elite strap after it loving broke on me.

Its great! I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092VJKR3M

It comes in pieces like so

And when assembled looks like this

I don't like the Kuject name on there, but oh well, I can live with that.

First off, it goes together really securely. I was suspicious of a 3 piece head cup on the back, but its definitely not going to come apart any time soon. It also can accommodate a gigantic head. I have a big head, like 2XL motorcycle helmet big and when this strap is fully open, its way bigger than my head, tons of room.

Secondly, those circles that say Kuject? They work really well as sound reflectors for the speakers. I tested the strap by playing Pop1 last night, which I normally run at or near high volume, and I had to run it at about half volume because it reflects much more sound towards your ears. Thats a nice option I never knew I wanted. Honestly, this might be the only head strap that can improve your battery life due to the reduced volume you'll run lol

Finally, comfort. Honestly, It really feels almost exactly like the elite strap. Once I had it on and adjusted properly I totally forgot I wasn't wearing the Elite Strap (outside of the volume). If you like the elite strap, you'll like this. If you want to like the elite strap, but your head is too big, you'll like this. If you (like me) cannot wear a halo strap to save your life, you'll like this.

One thing I will say, is that there are about a million copies of this strap on Amazon, I just bought the cheapest one. There seem to be two versions, there is the one I bought that has a 3-piece head cup and rounded corners on the arms, and there is one version that has a one-piece cup and square corners on the arms.

Like this:

See how the arms on the head cup have 90 degree corners on them? Every one of those straps that has the 90 degree corners have reviews with people complaining that the corner digs into their ears and causes pain. I would avoid that design altogether. You'll even see some of the new rounded designs touting "No more ear pain" in their ad copy, so I think the square ones are old stock that they're clearing out.

So basically, DO buy this if you need a good elite strap replacement, but DO NOT buy the square version

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 22, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks great, thanks for the writeup! Already ordered one for myself.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Well, my housemate's mum just strolled into the house while I was playing Caramelldansen in Beat Saber and i was getting really into it so I'm not sure who felt more awkward.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Budgie posted:

Well, my housemate's mum just strolled into the house while I was playing Caramelldansen in Beat Saber and i was getting really into it so I'm not sure who felt more awkward.

Hey at least you had pants on.

You did have pants on right?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

explosivo posted:

Hey at least you had pants on.

You did have pants on right?

Not only is it so loving hot today but it will always be funnier to leave this ambiguous

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
I think with Caramelldansen you can probably incorporate a figure-8 meatspin move for extra style.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Does putting custom beat saber songs on the quest open you up for a ban? Because you're doing more than sideloading, but modifying the beat saber APK?

Also, after using the Audica calibration tool in the settings, I was able to get it to play close to flawlessly through virtual desktop. I could probably drop to h.264 for less latency but I find that particle heavy games really benefit from cranking the bitrate on h.265 up so they don't become blobby when poo poo starts flying

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

SirViver posted:

I think with Caramelldansen you can probably incorporate a figure-8 meatspin move for extra style.

If only it had been llevan polka

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Like this:

See how the arms on the head cup have 90 degree corners on them? Every one of those straps that has the 90 degree corners have reviews with people complaining that the corner digs into their ears and causes pain. I would avoid that design altogether. You'll even see some of the new rounded designs touting "No more ear pain" in their ad copy, so I think the square ones are old stock that they're clearing out.

I have that same square version. It does bother your ears if you put the strap too low. I'm able to angle the back part upward enough to avoid it though, and it still holds on fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/cyanworlds/status/1407322539106312195?s=19

Yessssss