Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Americans might be interested in the HP Reverb G2 being $400 at Walmart right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

I hope the devs see you defending them and give you more press copies, dude.

I really loathe posts like this

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh that's cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

I really loathe posts like this

Tough titties.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I wonder if they'll bring more Myst games to VR. I never really played the rest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Professor Wayne posted:

I wonder if they'll bring more Myst games to VR. I never really played the rest.

Maybe, would be cool but I wouldn't expect it. These aren't just a VR port, they're fully re-building all the art and worlds from scratch, so its a pretty massive undertaking.

Myst is easier and has a lot more nostalgia. But if it sells really well I could see them doing Riven, which would be awesome.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe, would be cool but I wouldn't expect it. These aren't just a VR port, they're fully re-building all the art and worlds from scratch, so its a pretty massive undertaking.

Myst is easier and has a lot more nostalgia. But if it sells really well I could see them doing Riven, which would be awesome.

Yeah, Mysts 2-4 are pre-rendered, you would have to rebuild them from the ground up to make VR versions. Myst 5 is realtime, but I can't imagine that ancient engine would be VR friendly.
There's also Uru, the weird Myst MMO. But that's third-person and the controls suck, so you'd need to completely re-design it to make a VR version.

There is a fan-remake project of Riven that's being worked on, but who knows if it'll ever finish.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I seem to recall that the source files for Riven's art were lost at some point?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ladies and gents, I present you... chess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqxSbIWu8g
"The game supports playing against a friend (with voice chat and avatar features) or against an AI with several levels of difficulty. There’s also online multiplayer with casual and ranked options, alongside different time rules for matches that include “bullet, blitz, classic, real time and async.” You won’t just be limited to controllers either — hand tracking support will also be enabled on Quest headsets."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mutata posted:

I seem to recall that the source files for Riven's art were lost at some point?

Probably, with how long ago that was. And even if they had it, you couldn't use that art for a VR game, its in a weird early 90s rendering style so everything is built out of curves and tons of polygons and extremely basic textures and no shaders, fine if you're pre-rendering everything out but for real-time it would need to be modified to the point of being totally rebuilt.

They built Obduction though and that game looks cool and plays in VR, so they certainly have the ability to rebuild Riven in VR if they want to, its just a cost-benefit question.

Like how much nostalgia is there for Riven in the general public vs how interested would people be in a totally new VR game

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

njsykora posted:

Americans might be interested in the HP Reverb G2 being $400 at Walmart right now.

I'd definitely buy a G2 if I hadn't heard so many horror stories about the tracking. You can get Index controllers for it but at that rate you might as well just get an Index.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

njsykora posted:

I'll have to watch some reviews of this later when I'm home, but anyone here have an opinion ob this piece of hardware? Seems like a pretty decent offering at that sale price

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its great! I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092VJKR3M

It comes in pieces like so

And when assembled looks like this

I don't like the Kuject name on there, but oh well, I can live with that.

First off, it goes together really securely. I was suspicious of a 3 piece head cup on the back, but its definitely not going to come apart any time soon. It also can accommodate a gigantic head. I have a big head, like 2XL motorcycle helmet big and when this strap is fully open, its way bigger than my head, tons of room.

Secondly, those circles that say Kuject? They work really well as sound reflectors for the speakers. I tested the strap by playing Pop1 last night, which I normally run at or near high volume, and I had to run it at about half volume because it reflects much more sound towards your ears. Thats a nice option I never knew I wanted. Honestly, this might be the only head strap that can improve your battery life due to the reduced volume you'll run lol

Finally, comfort. Honestly, It really feels almost exactly like the elite strap. Once I had it on and adjusted properly I totally forgot I wasn't wearing the Elite Strap (outside of the volume). If you like the elite strap, you'll like this. If you want to like the elite strap, but your head is too big, you'll like this. If you (like me) cannot wear a halo strap to save your life, you'll like this.

One thing I will say, is that there are about a million copies of this strap on Amazon, I just bought the cheapest one. There seem to be two versions, there is the one I bought that has a 3-piece head cup and rounded corners on the arms, and there is one version that has a one-piece cup and square corners on the arms.

Like this:

See how the arms on the head cup have 90 degree corners on them? Every one of those straps that has the 90 degree corners have reviews with people complaining that the corner digs into their ears and causes pain. I would avoid that design altogether. You'll even see some of the new rounded designs touting "No more ear pain" in their ad copy, so I think the square ones are old stock that they're clearing out.

So basically, DO buy this if you need a good elite strap replacement, but DO NOT buy the square version

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking to replace my strap for a while now and just ordered one.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Cyan Games also released Obduction which is VR compatible, and is very similar to Myst, so if you’re looking for games like Myst Id recommend it. It looks pretty nice as well, and has more sci fi art style.

Edit o whoops, beaten. But yeah, I’m also looking for more puzzle oriented or just like single player games with nice environments, that are ‘weirder’ or just unique in their art style. Games like Paper Beast, which is beautiful, and Outer Wilds or The Talos Principle.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 22, 2021

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

njsykora posted:

Was interested until I looked up the IPD range, forgot this thing is only 60-68 IPD. Ugh.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Looks like, apparently "[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game while any GPU hardware monitoring tool is running in the background. [3152190]" is finally actually fixed in the new nvidia driver.

Probably hasn't been affecting too many people anymore, since things like fpsvr added a way to not monitor the GPU but still cool and long overdue.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RandomBlue posted:

Was interested until I looked up the IPD range, forgot this thing is only 60-68 IPD. Ugh.

Everything I've seen said the optics sweet spot was really lousy as well, so you definitely can't fudge it if you're out of range.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Finally got an Index coming in (possibly) tomorrow. What are some of the best VR games/apps I should look into?

So far, I have on my list:
Tiltbrush
Paradiddle
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Onward
GORN
and of course Half Life Alyx

Any thoughts on these, and/or other games? I found a couple in the OP I'm interested in, but was wondering if there have been any gems since?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Finally got an Index coming in (possibly) tomorrow. What are some of the best VR games/apps I should look into?

Tiltbrush
Paradiddle
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Onward
GORN

Any thoughts on these, and/or other games? I found a couple in the OP I'm interested in, but was wondering if there have been any gems since?

Boneworks

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Tiltbrush

Just worth pointing out that you shouldn't buy Tilt Brush as it has since been open sourced. Go for Open Brush instead - it's the same thing but free -> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1634870/Open_Brush/

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Tiltbrush
Paradiddle
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Onward
GORN

Hot dogs, horseshoes and hand grenades if you want a good single player shooter.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Awesome, thanks yall. And thanks for the headsup on Tiltbrush!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hear Gorilla Tag is good, and also rumors that the dev is extremely cool, smart and handsome

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Tiltbrush
Paradiddle
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Onward
GORN

Just as an FYI if you're not already aware, Alyx should just appear for free in your Steam account once you hook up the Index and set that all up.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Tiltbrush
Paradiddle
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Onward
GORN

I have found a lot of fun in Echo Arena and Smash Drums.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Imhotep posted:

Cyan Games also released Obduction which is VR compatible, and is very similar to Myst, so if you’re looking for games like Myst Id recommend it. It looks pretty nice as well, and has more sci fi art style.

Edit o whoops, beaten. But yeah, I’m also looking for more puzzle oriented or just like single player games with nice environments, that are ‘weirder’ or just unique in their art style. Games like Paper Beast, which is beautiful, and Outer Wilds or The Talos Principle.

These two are pretty solid if you want more Myst-like VR games

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5046/The_Gallery__EP1_Call_of_the_Starseed__EP2_Heart_of_the_Emberstone/

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lemming posted:

Gorilla Tag is good

Truth

Lemming posted:

the dev is extremely cool, smart and handsome

Lies

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Tiltbrush
Paradiddle
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Onward
GORN

Superhot VR
Untill You Fall
Pistol Whip

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blaston and Synth Riders, download Noodle Manager for custom songs.

Also there's a bunch of demos in the Steam Next Fest until the 26th June, so if you get the headset in time then there's a few things to try there. 2076 is looking really promising, it's an R-Type style game where you can use your offhand for stuff. And I Expect You To Die 2 became an instant purchase when that Bond intro dropped. Undead Citadel sadly remains a no-show.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Does Synth Riders have the same thing as Beat Saber where it's best to get it on Steam over Oculus for custom songs?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I don't think anybody mentioned it, but definitely Beat Saber.

Star Wars: Squadrons is quite good and you may already own games like Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky as well. Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is good, and if you are up to modding Skyrim VR can be excellent as well.

Also don't forget some of the free ones like The Lab and Propogation VR. The Lab is made by Valve and is a great introduction to VR mechanics and sadly the closest we have to Portal VR.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Regarding Myst, Cyan is still (hopefully) working on Firmament.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1252280491/firmament

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Along the lines of free stuff, there's a series of animations called Google Spotlight Stories which serve as nice demonstrations of the technology. My favorite was Age of Sail with Ian McShane. There are a few sequences that really drive home the feeling that you're actually alongside the characters.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Despite its shortcomings, I've had a lot of sandbox-type fun in Blade and Sorcery. The project seems to be moving in a cool direction these days, and the modding scene is quite active.

Forgot to mention the VR mod for the Subnautica games. Very rich in visual spectacle. I found the gamepad control scheme sort of relaxing.

Grei Skuring fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 23, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Blade and Sorcery is really cool but it's kind of like a tech demo right now. That being said, it's extremely visceral and satisfying so if you want to live out your own Ensign Suder fantasies, there is no better medium

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t forget the good free games too. PokerstarsVR, and Rec Room

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played and beat SuperhotVR the other day. I knew what I was getting into but having a small playspace really made things harder than it probably needed to be. A bit shorter than I would have liked (got it for 12 bucks though so I can't complain) and a couple stages really kicked my rear end because I can never get non underhanded throwing to work in VR consistently. Would recommend on sale.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Throwing in Superhot is not great, so it probably wasn't you.

Robo Recall is on sale in the Oculus store so I'm giving that a go, and other than the weird turning system (point the teleporter, rotate the stick to set your direction, then release), it holds up really well. Smacking robots then throwing their corpse at other robots is really fun, and the presentation is immaculate. I really do think that a solid physics system is vital for most VR games; even if you don't do anything complex with it, being able to ragdoll things around just makes the game feel so solid and real.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't think anybody mentioned it, but definitely Beat Saber.

Star Wars: Squadrons is quite good and you may already own games like Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky as well. Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is good, and if you are up to modding Skyrim VR can be excellent as well.

I'll post this link for anyone who needs it: Lightweight Lazy List. Given me another 150+ hours in a game I've had over 1000 in before, but YMMV.

Throwing in superhot got easier when someone suggested "pushing" the thrown object in the direction you want it to fly in rather than expecting it to have more realistic throwing physics. Once I got that, it was way easier to consistently chuck things at enemies.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Blade and Sorcery is really cool but it's kind of like a tech demo right now. That being said, it's extremely visceral and satisfying so if you want to live out your own Ensign Suder fantasies, there is no better medium

My kid downloaded some Steam Workshop thing that TCs it to Star Wars, and he has been having a blast with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Throwing in Superhot is not great, so it probably wasn't you.

Robo Recall is on sale in the Oculus store so I'm giving that a go, and other than the weird turning system (point the teleporter, rotate the stick to set your direction, then release), it holds up really well. Smacking robots then throwing their corpse at other robots is really fun, and the presentation is immaculate. I really do think that a solid physics system is vital for most VR games; even if you don't do anything complex with it, being able to ragdoll things around just makes the game feel so solid and real.

I think Robo Recall's movement and turning is really good. Using it properly is key to getting high scores as it comes with a built-in slow-motion effect that lets you plan your next moves out.