Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oculus seem to be sending emails to all registered Quest 2 owners about a free silicon face cover now - my serial number wasn't in the last batch they were replacing (bought early April) but I just got an email about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

raditts posted:

Why wouldn't it have it / work? It's great, and also I believe Gamepass / Xbox Store is (for now) the only place you can get Tetris Effect Connected, which with the multiplayer modes is the best version of Tetris Effect by far.

Because as the post above me says they didn’t release the gamepass version with VR initially and it’s not unheard of for the Origin or Epic or whatever version of a game to not support VR even though the Steam version does

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Turin Turambar posted:

I think today the performance update for MS Flight Simulator will be out. If anyone wants to check and post the performance in VR, he is welcome to do it!

I am currently engaged in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Installation Experience

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because as the post above me says they didnt release the gamepass version with VR initially and its not unheard of for the Origin or Epic or whatever version of a game to not support VR even though the Steam version does

Well that's strange, I know the original one on Epic Store had it from launch, and I guess I got Connected after they'd added it because I never knew it wasn't there. Even weirder since they both run off SteamVR.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Party Boat posted:

Oculus seem to be sending emails to all registered Quest 2 owners about a free silicon face cover now - my serial number wasn't in the last batch they were replacing (bought early April) but I just got an email about it.

So I had dismissed the discussion of this itt as a comfort issue.

However, I’ve had some nose and forehead skin issues the last two months. I assumed it’s because I moved to a desert and have fair skin.

However after getting the email it totally makes sense. What’s wild is I play the drat thing for at most two hours a week.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-pauses-quest-2-sales-skin/
Quest 2 sales are paused for a month, it will return with the rumored 128gb version, and we have a number for the units sold in USA: 4 million*

*:a bit less, as they are including the people who bought the Fit pack accessory.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 27, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beastie posted:

So I had dismissed the discussion of this itt as a comfort issue.

However, I’ve had some nose and forehead skin issues the last two months. I assumed it’s because I moved to a desert and have fair skin.

The foam doesn't usually touch the nose, so maybe your first assumption is right.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Turin Turambar posted:

The foam doesn't usually touch the nose, so maybe your first assumption is right.

Yes, but what I have really lines up with the Upload pic. I’m normally very good at moisturizing and putting on sunscreen. I got my Quest 2 right at the start of summer so I assumed it’s the weather.

Every night I’ve been putting Aquaphor on my upper cheeks brow and nose line. It’s helped but now I’m convinced it’s the headset.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SCheeseman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniHnza8WZY
Vermillion is out. I've always been fascinated by Bob Ross, this seems like a great low-cost zero risk way of painting happy little trees! Not made evident by the trailer is the ability to watch place a web browser window in your space, allowing you to follow along with video tutorials on Youtube.

Yessss I'm always interested in painting stuff but the ability to stick a browser window in your space is :hf:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What app do I use to make the quest 2 streaming better? Tray tool or debug tool? I'm assuming this only applies to wired/wireless link and not VD?

I want to take advantage of the beef I gave my computer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yessss I'm always interested in painting stuff but the ability to stick a browser window in your space is :hf:

I'd like one of these apps with integrated tutorials. I'm interested on the idea of painting in VR, but I would have no idea on how to start...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, that's just it: if you can put a browser window in your space, you can literally watch Bob Ross and paint along.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Playing a game and having a wiki window in your space showing you how to advance the game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Leal posted:

Playing a game and having a wiki window in your space showing you how to advance the game.

I've done this using pinned windows from Oculus home a few times. Being in Skyrim VR on one of those quests where it's like "find the tiny item in the environment" and watching a YouTube walkthrough in a pinned window while I do the same thing in game is kind of a trip.

and of course watching videos while space truckin in Elite Dangerous

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

What's the best way to do the 'open browser in my game' thing on an Index? OVR Toolkit?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What's the best way to do the 'open browser in my game' thing on an Index? OVR Toolkit?

Steam VR has a feature that lets you dock a window on your wrist. I can't say whether it's the best way because I haven't tried any alternatives, but it's a free way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Having had my Index for like a year and a half now, I’ll say this one thing in response:

how

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

raditts posted:

Well that's strange, I know the original one on Epic Store had it from launch, and I guess I got Connected after they'd added it because I never knew it wasn't there. Even weirder since they both run off SteamVR.

Because tetris effect on pc since launch has had VR . Epic exclusive first, bla bla.

Hes right In the whole sometimes another store version don't have it, but in this case its been VR since go.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 27, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-pauses-quest-2-sales-skin/
Quest 2 sales are paused for a month, it will return with the rumored 128gb version, and we have a number for the units sold in USA: 4 million*

*:a bit less, as they are including the people who bought the Fit pack accessory.

I do boat stuff, and that requires gloves for handling ropes, especially in a saltwater environment which is harsh on your skin

Anyways, West Marine is a/the only boating retailer, they carry their own line of sailing gloves, which are basically weightlifting gloves, but longer fingers

ANYWAYS, they had a recall a couple years ago, turns out the blue dye they used in some of their gloves was unusually solvent in salt water + acidic. They were made overseas and the manufacturer had swapped out expen$ive blue dye for cobalt blue industrial solvent as the dye. Good times. Not all dyes are made the same, many of them are not designed for sustained exposure to skin + saltwater

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My second Quest 2 elite strap broke this weekend, how is this so hard for you Oculus?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

canyoneer posted:

My second Quest 2 elite strap broke this weekend, how is this so hard for you Oculus?

Mine broke after roughly 5 uses.

Fun stuff.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Party Boat posted:

I am currently engaged in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Installation Experience

I am still engaged in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Installation Experience. 16% complete on a 500Mb connection

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Mine (launch day) just broke yesterday but I have a feeling if I used it more it would have happened a long, long time ago.

I don't have proof of purchase so we'll see what happens now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finally got around to playing Phasmophobia. That game rules. This is what I want out of horror VR, my heart pounding like a loving jackhammer in full on fight or flight mode. It helps that the dark in that game is actually dark.

Any other VR horror games hit that level for you guys?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Finally got around to playing Phasmophobia. That game rules. This is what I want out of horror VR, my heart pounding like a loving jackhammer in full on fight or flight mode. It helps that the dark in that game is actually dark.

I am terrified of finally playing HL Alyx just because of that part with hank or Henry or w/e his name is that charges at any sound, including you talking out loud

It was amazing seeing a tiktok of somebody saying "Hi Hank" and then the Eric Andre "we'll be right back" right after he charges

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Having had my Index for like a year and a half now, I’ll say this one thing in response:

how

When you open the steam menu in game, open up one of your windows and then on the right side of that lower bar you'll see a button for each controller. Clicking on one of them will dock that window to your wrist

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

I am terrified of finally playing HL Alyx just because of that part with hank or Henry or w/e his name is that charges at any sound, including you talking out loud

It was amazing seeing a tiktok of somebody saying "Hi Hank" and then the Eric Andre "we'll be right back" right after he charges

Looking back on it, the part with Jeff was scary in thought, but ended up being moderately tame in practice.

Fantastic use of real-world movements though; covering your mouth so you don't cough

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PantsBandit posted:

I think Hinge is supposed to be along those lines, although there was maybe a fair amount of jank on release? Steam reviews are positive at this time. I picked it up on sale a little bit ago but haven't gotten to try it yet.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Leal posted:

When you open the steam menu in game, open up one of your windows and then on the right side of that lower bar you'll see a button for each controller. Clicking on one of them will dock that window to your wrist

Thanks for this; I only occasionally use Steam VR and I still find the Steam VR interface stuff hella confusing sometimes & frequently can't figure out what is where and how to do what I'm after.

I needed to redefine the room because a lighthouse unit got bumped at some point, and not only was that hard to figure out how to start, but in the HMD you see something to the effect of "OK, standby" and I waited there like a dummy for ages with no idea that the instructions and interface were now on the PC monitor waiting for me :saddowns:

Occasional use only of the Index is a pain. This is compounded by the fact that nothing ever really spells out how you are actually intended to use the index controllers. Like, for the longest time I was resting my thumbs on the touchpads (which is very natural to do) but that fucks up using scrollable menus badly with no idea what you're doing wrong, and so on.

e: Just the other day I fired up a game that was telling me "Press the A button" but there's no virtual controller in-game -- and I'm like, gently caress, you know I can't actually see my hands, right? I don't know which of the four buttons is A, but pushing the wrong one did something and uggghhh

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 28, 2021

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
still sticking to multiplayer contractors, beat saber, and superhot rn. i dont have pavlov, i fo have pop1 but it isnt my thing rn, what else is out for quest/quest 2 rn? have quest2-only apps started happening?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Don't use OVR Toolkit, get XS Overlay instead. It's far more optimized and better all round. It's also on Steam and about the same price.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't use OVR Toolkit, get XS Overlay instead. It's far more optimized and better all round. It's also on Steam and about the same price.

can confirm that OVR is half-baked, it really did not turn out being as great as everyone says and i wish I had bought XS instead

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DelphiAegis posted:

Looking back on it, the part with Jeff was scary in thought, but ended up being moderately tame in practice.

Fantastic use of real-world movements though; covering your mouth so you don't cough

Also the part where you have to catch the falling bottle when you open a cabinet after the game spent every spare minute conditioning you to open cabinets

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I tried XS but what really threw me off is that it doesn't have touch emulation like OVR, you have to use the joysticks to scroll, etc. That was a deal breaker for me so I switched back over.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Facebook are doing a recall.

It's better than catching fire, but I guess all that cost cutting had to backfire somehow. Asbestos Facial Interface! Oh so itchy!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO3s92czqrg
UploadVR says it's more like a golf-like sport, but with a frisbee. Production values are good.

Also on PC
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1293530/Disc_Ninja/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VD dev ventures to say Quest platform is at 10M units
https://twitter.com/VRDesktop/status/1420243290016735232?s=19

The question is... as a dev, does he have data of numbers sold of his app by country? Because if that's the case, then he could be doing a well educated guess.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

OpenVR dll with the new amd FSR thingie.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Is everyone getting absolutely crazy, self-feeding visual artifacts with AirLink on Q2 sometimes? You can clear it by just moving your head 90 degrees quickly, but you can also reproduce it really easily: Look at any somewhat noisy and still image (trees in skyrim for example, or just a 2d picture of real life) and turn your head a few degrees back and forth, the noise turns into black and white lines, which then turn into complete RGB noise. It's like the codec never gets a 'keyframe', it just feeds itself with whatever the last image was and you get those nightmare melting person gifs, but in glorious, different-for-each-eye 3d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No, but I've had buffering issues on AirLink where everything freezes for however many seconds, then it fast forwards through everything to catch up again, so it's apparently able to cache a significant number of frames while it's trying to sort itself out. Maybe your issue is related?