Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man, they broke something with DCS on the latest patch. 5-15m into a flight and it goes from about 40-50fps to 10-20fps and does not come back up. Originally I thought it had to do with AA or something like that, but even if I'm just cruising off on my own it still happens.

Some people were reporting similar on the prior patch and no luck with fixes.

Guess I'm back to TrackIR until that gets fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

This is related to the guardian sensitivity setting

Okay, I've looked at the guardian settings and cranked all settings to max sensitivity, but it hasn't changed anything. There is no longer a grid wall around the guardian boundary, and only the headset triggers the passthrough, not the controllers.

Does anyone know of a way to reset this? If not I'll maybe ask on Reddit. This is a major, major deal breaker, I do not have the space to swing my arms and body around without the grid there to keep me centred, I will have to go back to keeping my feet planted firmly in one spot without exception, which absolutely sucks, I'm too used to turning my whole body and ducking around at this point.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
agh i really don't know that is super weird. Mentioned it earlier in the thread but I VR workout in a tiny standing space and make it work with no guardian whatsoever by standing on a folded yoga mat. Put a flat rock underneath in the mat in its center or something and youll always be able to tell where youre facing

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay, I've looked at the guardian settings and cranked all settings to max sensitivity, but it hasn't changed anything. There is no longer a grid wall around the guardian boundary, and only the headset triggers the passthrough, not the controllers.

Does anyone know of a way to reset this? If not I'll maybe ask on Reddit. This is a major, major deal breaker, I do not have the space to swing my arms and body around without the grid there to keep me centred, I will have to go back to keeping my feet planted firmly in one spot without exception, which absolutely sucks, I'm too used to turning my whole body and ducking around at this point.

This might be a dummy question but have you power cycled the quest at all? I've had my guardian start to behave strangely and some of the overlays not render properly before (mostly when it lost guardian, then i couldn't properly redraw it cos it was behaving weird in the redraw overlay), and a full shutdown / restart cleared those issues the handful of times it has happened

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Upon further inspection, it happens with the stationary boundary but not roomscale, so I can get around it by drawing a small boundary around me, but it's obviously pretty wonky compared the regular one.

There was some sort of message about enabling a change to the guardian that I accidentally clicked through when it started happening, so I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a feature of some sort, but the fact I can't seem to turn it off is insane, and Space Sense only works with roomscale, which due to my setup will always have furniture showing.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I think that is relating to enabling pass through while guardian is disabled. You get that setting if you disable the guardian in developer options

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No, my guardian is enabled, and disabling it prevents the passthrough from appearing at all when I near the boundary.

I've definitely enabled some kind of feature; when my headset gets near the boundary, the passthrough appears as a small circle and gets bigger or smaller as my headset moves towards or away from it, like it is incredibly deliberate and not like when you normally step outside the boundary and the entire passthrough fades into view. I seem to remember this being talked about as an upcoming feature a while ago, but googling is turning up absolutely nothing.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

factory reset if you don't know what you did.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No, my guardian is enabled, and disabling it prevents the passthrough from appearing at all when I near the boundary.

I've definitely enabled some kind of feature; when my headset gets near the boundary, the passthrough appears as a small circle and gets bigger or smaller as my headset moves towards or away from it, like it is incredibly deliberate and not like when you normally step outside the boundary and the entire passthrough fades into view. I seem to remember this being talked about as an upcoming feature a while ago, but googling is turning up absolutely nothing.
There's a feature to add your desk and sofa into your virtual space, and I believe that causes the passthrough camera to kick in when you approach them. Have you used that?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, so I did the factory reset and this is what I was presented with on startup:

So that's it then, stationary guardian no longer warns you when you're about to smash your hand into a wall. Thanks a loving bunch Meta.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm getting a really annoying tracking glitch in Pavlov VR on my Index. Sometimes when I'm holding a two handed weapon and bring it up to fire my right hand tracking goes nuts, jerking left and right or way out in one direction. Doesn't matter how my base stations are set up, doesn't matter what weapon aside from being a two handed. I get perfect tracking in every other game and even in Pavlov right up until I try to hold a rifle steady with my eyes down the sight. Driving me up a drat wall!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Riatsala posted:

I'm getting a really annoying tracking glitch in Pavlov VR on my Index. Sometimes when I'm holding a two handed weapon and bring it up to fire my right hand tracking goes nuts, jerking left and right or way out in one direction. Doesn't matter how my base stations are set up, doesn't matter what weapon aside from being a two handed. I get perfect tracking in every other game and even in Pavlov right up until I try to hold a rifle steady with my eyes down the sight. Driving me up a drat wall!

Disable bluetooth management in steamvr and see if that helps.

Odd i know. But its possible.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay, so I did the factory reset and this is what I was presented with on startup:

So that's it then, stationary guardian no longer warns you when you're about to smash your hand into a wall. Thanks a loving bunch Meta.

But this is a good change? The original stationary mode was borderline useless because the guardian was so tiny. I use stationary mode because I'm sitting in a chair and not moving anywhere, I know where I am.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

.Ataraxia. posted:

But this is a good change? The original stationary mode was borderline useless because the guardian was so tiny. I use stationary mode because I'm sitting in a chair and not moving anywhere, I know where I am.

Same. I don't think it's really meant for standing play and it's so much better now for when I'm playing seated.

Also when I told one of my friends about the change his response was "loving FINALLY"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I guess it depends on how much space you have to work with. Stationary fit perfectly in the space I had available (in one room anyway), but I still like to move around a little for shooters and VRChat, and it's especially useful to know where the boundary is when you're physically turning your body instead of using the sticks, which makes you drift from centre. I'll just draw a small roomscale guardian, I guess.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I guess it depends on how much space you have to work with. Stationary fit perfectly in the space I had available (in one room anyway), but I still like to move around a little for shooters and VRChat, and it's especially useful to know where the boundary is when you're physically turning your body instead of using the sticks, which makes you drift from centre. I'll just draw a small roomscale guardian, I guess.

It should really just be an option.

I mean I solved the seated Guardian sucks issue by just turning Guardian completely off under Developer options.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Is that Crytek Robinson game any good?

Saw it’s only 5 bux on Steam but the reviews sound like there’s some serious technical issues. Lots of complaints about controls not working etc. On the other hand, dinosaurs in VR.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/579820/Robinson_The_Journey/

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Leathal posted:

Is that Crytek Robinson game any good?

Saw it’s only 5 bux on Steam but the reviews sound like there’s some serious technical issues. Lots of complaints about controls not working etc. On the other hand, dinosaurs in VR.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/579820/Robinson_The_Journey/

It's dated pretty badly in some ways (slow movement with head steering only, the climbing can sketch out, moving physics objects is hilariously bad)

And it's a bit of slow paced theme park over all. But there's some quality in there ultimately. If you can get through the boring intro (and annoying friendly companion) to the dinos in the tar pits and beyond, there's definitely some dino heaven there. Scrambling up the rainforest trees was good too. And getting hassled by a pterodactyl at one perilous point

Looks drat pretty too if you sort the supersampling out. I'd say $5 is worth it for staring a diplodocus right in the nostril.

Just don't expect proper horror staples or anything. They kind of suggest it with the raptors, but pull back from any gore or hardcore challenge pretty quick

e: oh I should say I played on a Rift CV1 a while back, and it was fine. Bit of a performance hog maybe, but no big issues. Don't know how it plays on other systems.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 28, 2021

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

.Ataraxia. posted:

Yeah, I like it too. Games like mini golf only use one controller but putting the second one down somewhere outside the boundary makes it mad.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

EbolaIvory posted:

Disable bluetooth management in steamvr and see if that helps.

Odd i know. But its possible.

Interesting, I'll give that a try

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Can you stream a non-VR game to a Quest 2? Like if I want to be really lazy and lay in bed and play FFXIV or something?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cool Dad posted:

Can you stream a non-VR game to a Quest 2? Like if I want to be really lazy and lay in bed and play FFXIV or something?

Airlink / Virtual Desktop can just stream your desktop, yeah

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
you will still need your keyboard and mouse, or controller which would be connected to your computer. I am not certain about the bluetooth mouse and keyboard functionality connected via the headset works with virtual desktop or air link

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
If you pair your controller to the Quest, VD will pass it through to Windows which is very handy for when your computer is in another room. I also vaguely remember trying it with a k830 keyboard and it not working but I could be wrong.

Pixelate posted:

I'd say $5 is worth it for staring a diplodocus right in the nostril.

Just don't expect proper horror staples or anything. They kind of suggest it with the raptors, but pull back from any gore or hardcore challenge pretty quick

Sounds good to me, thanks. I’m more than happy with a casual but pretty dino experience for five bucks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Golf+ (previously TopGolf) has improved a lot. A full course with another real-world course for purchase. Not a replacement for Walkabout rather a companion, as even the mini golf game variant is fairly different in design with more traditional greens instead of gimmick courses. Back when I first bought it I found it to be a bit jank with performance problems and other rough edges. Seems real polished now though, worth a look if you've been playing Walkabout and want something a bit more golfy.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

SCheeseman posted:

Golf+ (previously TopGolf) has improved a lot. A full course with another real-world course for purchase. Not a replacement for Walkabout rather a companion, as even the mini golf game variant is fairly different in design with more traditional greens instead of gimmick courses. Back when I first bought it I found it to be a bit jank with performance problems and other rough edges. Seems real polished now though, worth a look if you've been playing Walkabout and want something a bit more golfy.

Golf+/TopGolf is also fun if you have a friend with a Quest and you just want to hang out and catch up. My friend and I do the driving range part every few weeks and it gives a thing to do while we catch up on how our kids are doing and poo poo like that because of the pandemic. Same thing with Eleven Table Tennis - it gives you a repeatable thing with absolutely zero stakes to do.

Having said that, we also recently picked up Walkabout because his definition of mini golf is absolutely the gimmicky "I want a fuckin windmill, and a clown whose mouth opens and closes god damnit" and Golf+ wasn't scratching that itch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

To be honest Walkabout is still a bit lacking in the moving obstacles stakes itself. They need a fairground course that's literally just all the classic mini golf gimmicks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

To be honest Walkabout is still a bit lacking in the moving obstacles stakes itself. They need a fairground course that's literally just all the classic mini golf gimmicks.

It's a videogame, they could have all sorts of crazy contraptions and scifi bullshit, they aren't limited by what's phisically possible. In that sense, the game is pretty 'timid', they only have a few holes which couldn't be replicated in real life.

-----

Onward is 40% on the Oculus store. I could buy it but I already have Contractors and Pavlov on pc...

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
going to recommend against onward unless you feel compelled to play every single OORAH game. Pavlov makes it look like a terrible halflife mod, the shooting feels disconnected and the game modes are extremely basic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HYlUOwyBVY
VR support!

this was an ironic post. I'm not German enough to play this

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah Onward sucks, their Mount&Blade knockoff is alright though (by the standars of the original mount and blade that is).

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just a heads up, Walmart is selling refurb Quest 2s for $199 if anyone is still looking for one.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Reverb now shows 'ships by 12/17' on HP's site when it was Jan 11th yesterday. And still $399, just in case anyone was holding out. Weirdly the page shows $549 when accessed directly but 399 came up after a refersh....

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some Lemming guy tweet
https://twitter.com/LemmingVR/status/1465083626505179142?t=umXTr_eSYkJkHe-CcmYEsg&s=19

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Private Speech posted:

Yeah Onward sucks, their Mount&Blade knockoff is alright though (by the standars of the original mount and blade that is).

I quite like Onward, there isn't really a game like it

not very user friendly though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Apparently the M&B knockoff is from a different dev, it's https://store.steampowered.com/app/636970/Tales_Of_Glory/.

Gives me pretty bad motion sickness though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turin Turambar posted:

Some Lemming guy tweet

The last few months have given my such a visceral reaction to seeing any image of an ape that I couldn't remember what thread I was in for a moment.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Alctel posted:

I quite like Onward, there isn't really a game like it

not very user friendly though

Just curious because I want to like it but continue to bounce off of it pretty hard. What makes you prefer it to a game like Pavlov?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Just curious because I want to like it but continue to bounce off of it pretty hard. What makes you prefer it to a game like Pavlov?

I like Pavlov as well but they are totally different games

Pavlov is like counterstrike while Onward is more like small-scale ARMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
I got the quest 2 from the black friday recently and if I haven't been banned for using an old facebook account so far, I should be good right? I took the 50$ credit and bought the vive das and am waiting for my prescription lenses to come in. Using this headset with glasses does not seem possible for me, fumbling for the right angle for the headset to actually show something, along with the pain.

I also bought this 15 Ft usb c to c cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9LYNV9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details and it seems to be having trouble connecting to my pc. When I plug in my headset, my pc shows that the device is unrecognizable. I then tried it with my phone and the same thing happened. When I plugged in with the charging cables, everything connected right away. However, I was able to get the link to work after turning it on and off a couple of times, but most of the time it shows as unrecognizable. Is it just a bad cable?

Should I buy a usb a to c cable instead or get a different usb c to c cable? I'm not sure why the cable I bought is not being recognized. My mobo is a B550 F (wifi) which should have a usb c 3.2 (gen 2) port. I know there is also air link, but without the prescription lenses, I can't really test things too much.

pineapple3k fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 29, 2021