Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

https://twitter.com/DemeoGame/status/1530535870528380929

Good.

(but also, silly it wasn't an option from the start, just put a menu where every player click on which character(s) to control)

My wife and I stopped playing because with only two heroes you just don't have enough flexibility to handle some situations, this is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

I was already on the test version but I tried the console thing, no luck. It might be because I am on Windows 10.

chippy posted:

Showing the console window makes no difference for me, but setting the Mobile ASW setting in the debug tool to 'Enabled - Framerate Insurance' seem to help a bit. But VD feels like the best for it overall at the moment.

As some other people have said on those linked threads, it kind of feels a bit like a tracking issue to me.

Do you happen to have a setting found in the experimental area called "Space Sense" ? Today I noticed that when I stepped near my chair, even if the space sense effect wasn't showing visually I would start having that lag. So then I started triggering space sense intentionally and every time it would cause that tracking lag effect. I turned off the setting and it's looking like the issue is probably fixed.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I was already on the test version but I tried the console thing, no luck. It might be because I am on Windows 10.

Do you happen to have a setting found in the experimental area called "Space Sense" ? Today I noticed that when I stepped near my chair, even if the space sense effect wasn't showing visually I would start having that lag. So then I started triggering space sense intentionally and every time it would cause that tracking lag effect. I turned off the setting and it's looking like the issue is probably fixed.

I have the setting, but I turned it off because it was annoying me, it often showed stationary objects just outside my guardian when I got near the edge.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
skyrim vr was on sale for 20 bucks, so I grabbed it last week and today I cleared bleak falls barrow. This is amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you’re playing vanilla Skyrim, it gets so much better

https://youtu.be/6Z9Fkxfao00

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, anyone know what the quality's like on Kingma batteries? My Sword controllers came with a pair of Kingma NP-BX1 batteries, and just wondering if I'd get any better battery life out of some official Sony-made ones.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Fired up Skyrim VR (its the only vr game I currently got installed) to try out this 3070 and god drat this is smooth. Its not like it was a jittery, vomit inducing experience on my 1070, but there is just something that makes it feel so much better now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Linkle the buttery

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I've been trying out LukeRoss' VR-mods for Elden Ring and GTA V and it feels like my 3070 isn't cutting it for pancake -> VR modding. I know that there's no way to get them to run as smooth as native VR games, but still, drat :smith:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just couldn't stop punching people in Skyrim, like I'd reflexively move my hands around while near someone and have half the town after me. On the other hand you can basically drumroll your way to victory with both fists, so it's still pretty fun.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Missionary Positron posted:

I've been trying out LukeRoss' VR-mods for Elden Ring and GTA V and it feels like my 3070 isn't cutting it for pancake -> VR modding. I know that there's no way to get them to run as smooth as native VR games, but still, drat :smith:

GTA V should perform fine, I've run it in VR with no issues on a 980Ti

are you are sure that you're actually dropping frames and it's not just the crappy alternate eye rendering throwing you off? it makes your eyes slightly out of sync with each other which is especially noticeable with fast motion like driving

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miu0b16a6cw

It’s an approved by devs mod, that means you can use your current save and play with normal players. Although I read is beta and still a bit crashy.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

TIP posted:

GTA V should perform fine, I've run it in VR with no issues on a 980Ti

are you are sure that you're actually dropping frames and it's not just the crappy alternate eye rendering throwing you off? it makes your eyes slightly out of sync with each other which is especially noticeable with fast motion like driving

In GTA's case it's probably the latter, now that I think about it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkSchrammVR/status/1530722046614724609
I wouldn't be against ideas like this. Vr controllers in 2d games.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kinda just recreating the wiimote then.

I guess it makes sense though if it doesnt need a lot of extra setup, just because a lot of people will have Quest controllers around now.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Seems easier to just use a ps4 controller

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Finally got my Skyrim working again, turns out the culprit that was locking my game on the Press Start screen was Genesis. I only found this out after bypassing the splash screen with the CDC command, and then I saw that the stupid menu that was preventing me from progressing was tied to the Genesis mod. So gently caress that mod!

I enjoyed dicking around a little with that ragdoll mod, shoving people around and trying unsuccessfully to throw them off bridges. I couldn't hit anybody hard enough to make them mad though, guess you really need to slap the hell out of them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

King Vidiot posted:

Finally got my Skyrim working again, turns out the culprit that was locking my game on the Press Start screen was Genesis. I only found this out after bypassing the splash screen with the CDC command, and then I saw that the stupid menu that was preventing me from progressing was tied to the Genesis mod. So gently caress that mod!

I enjoyed dicking around a little with that ragdoll mod, shoving people around and trying unsuccessfully to throw them off bridges. I couldn't hit anybody hard enough to make them mad though, guess you really need to slap the hell out of them.

Gotta be a power attack, hold the triggers when you swing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Gotta be a power attack, hold the triggers when you swing.

That's probably why I made everyone mad then, lol.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miu0b16a6cw

It’s an approved by devs mod, that means you can use your current save and play with normal players. Although I read is beta and still a bit crashy.

Wife and I were just playing this together, both of us in VR. Holeeeeeee poo poo! Our lives are finally complete! Sure, it's buggy and there's no power attack or pinging but it's still amazing and fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The entire video didn’t say what the game is.

I’m pretty sure it’s deep rock galactic, but, sheesh, at least say the name

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That it is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Next you are going to say that all game trailers should actually show gameplay.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Few questions about Oculus and SteamVR.

- Does everything available on Steam run through SteamVR? Or is that only for stuff designed specifically for HTC Vive, etc.? If something on the Steam store says it supports Oculus Rift, does that mean it will be smart enough to run via the Oculus runtime and not use SteamVR?

- If everything available on Steam does use SteamVR, then, am I right in presuming that I'll get better performance by buying stuff through the Oculus store instead because it'll be running natively? Or is SteamVR just like the launcher and then it hands off to the appropriate runtime anyway?

edit:

- Finally: Oculus is telling me that currently the OpenXR runtime on my system is SteamVR. I only have a Quest, should I let it set Oculus to be the default OpenXR runtime? Will this make a difference to any of the above?

chippy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 29, 2022

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've got another one: I've got some games that are supposedly cross-buy, for example Pistol Whip, Virtual Virtual Reality, Walkabout Mini Golf, which I bought on the Quest Store through the headset. I don't see them in my Library in the Oculus App on my PC. Why's that, because I bought them using the headset? Can they be 'redeemed' on the PC or not?

e: OK, answered this one. I have to find it in the store and install it, but it's free. Removing the related questions from above too.

chippy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 29, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chippy posted:

Few questions about buying stuff from the Oculus store:

- If something says if supports both Quest and Rift, is it cross-buy? Found some sources online that say this is the case, but can't see anything official.

- If something is cross-buy and I buy it using the Oculus app on my computer, will it also automatically show up in my Quest library to download and install on the device? Or do I have to activate it or something?

- Does everything available on Steam run through SteamVR? Or is that only for stuff designed specifically for HTC Vive, etc.? If something on the Steam store says it supports Oculus Rift, does that mean it will be smart enough to run via the Oculus runtime and not use SteamVR?

- If everything available on Steam does use SteamVR, then, am I right in presuming that I'll get better performance by buying stuff through the Oculus store instead because it'll be running natively? Or is SteamVR just like the launcher and then it hands off to the appropriate runtime anyway?

edit:

- Finally: Oculus is telling me that currently the OpenXR runtime on my system is SteamVR. I only have a Quest, should I let it set Oculus to be the default OpenXR runtime? Will this make a difference to any of the above?

-Check the crossbuy page here
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/#/?_k=mwk5sj
-You have to 'buy' the other version, but the price will be $0.
-There is a few very old, early VR games that may be incompatible because they were thought for the vive wands.
-Not sure.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Is the Oculus app store down for anyone else? On their website in chrome it just loads forever with a spinning circle whether I'm logged in or not, it doesn't load on my headset and spits out an error saying nothing found. The desktop oculus app loads fine though.

I was planning to buy Virtual Desktop which I assume I need to buy through the Quest store: the link on VD's website links to the store that wont load for me and nothing comes up in the desktop app when I search for it.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

chippy posted:

Few questions about buying stuff from the Oculus store:

- If something says if supports both Quest and Rift, is it cross-buy? Found some sources online that say this is the case, but can't see anything official.

Not necessarily, I think there are a handful of games that aren't crossbuy.

chippy posted:

- If something is cross-buy and I buy it using the Oculus app on my computer, will it also automatically show up in my Quest library to download and install on the device? Or do I have to activate it or something?

No. I've had to go to the store page in the Quest and instead of "buy" it will say "get".

chippy posted:

Hot or miss. Some games on steam natively use the Oculus runtime, some just use Steam. They will all say supports Oculus because Steam VR does.

chippy posted:

In general I've found if a game is in both Steam and the Rift store the Steam version will use the Oculus runtime.

chippy posted:

edit:

No idea.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I bought Synth Riders finally and I figured I'd try a song or two after having finished forty minutes of Beat Saber, thinking it'd be a nice way to complete my calorie goal for the day. That game kicked my rear end! Very fun, but I'm moving way more than anything Beat Saber or even Pistol Whip has thrown at me.

I also bought the kiwi headstrap, even wearing a bandanna, after an hour of cardio that cloth strap is soaked through with sweat, which is not gonna be cool when I have friends over to play this thing. What do you use to disinfect the kiwi strap, it said to use the cloth that comes with it and not an alcohol wipe, but is that gonna cut it when you're passing the headset around?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

Is the Oculus app store down for anyone else? On their website in chrome it just loads forever with a spinning circle whether I'm logged in or not, it doesn't load on my headset and spits out an error saying nothing found. The desktop oculus app loads fine though.

I was planning to buy Virtual Desktop which I assume I need to buy through the Quest store: the link on VD's website links to the store that wont load for me and nothing comes up in the desktop app when I search for it.

I bought it the other day through the website and it loaded onto my quest 2.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772
which loads fine for me

e:also kinda mad that some of the games I have already owned for years (Skyrim) I now have to buy again. :(

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Hmm weird, with that link I just get this screen. Everything else on the website works fine.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

Hmm weird, with that link I just get this screen. Everything else on the website works fine.

Adblock maybe? Though mine is on for that site. Try another browser.
I use chrome but keep Firefox around for certain things.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

chippy posted:

Yes, unless you want to run OpenXR games through SteamVR. This only affects games that use the new OpenXR API instead of the proprietary SteamVR or Oculus ones, and there are still very few of them released.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

chippy posted:

SteamVR uses a lot of VRAM and CPU and memory, there's a programme called Open Composite (https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md) that launches SteamVR games directly the Oculus runtime, so that's something to consider if you are using SteamVR games through Oculus, there's an option to use Oculus or SteamVR with a couple of clicks.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks everyone

FWIW the Oculus Store page is not loading properly for me either at the moment.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As a VRChat noob, if you get a custom avatar made by someone, how is it actually delivered to you? Since you can pick up avatars from worlds I'd imagine they would make a private instance and let you pick it there? Or is it somehow sent to you for your own implementation?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

An article about the VR apis and component. I thought it was an interesting overview.
https://fredemmott.com/blog/2022/05/29/vr-software-components.html

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Just tried DRG in VR. Absolutely amazing, for a beta! And also I'm now nauseous, after getting into a big firefight that tanked my framerate.

A+ would play again. Just probably not as a scout.

Also, it took me a while to work out that the grappling hook shoots where you're looking. Everything else shoots where you're pointing :/

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

FrickenMoron posted:

As a VRChat noob, if you get a custom avatar made by someone, how is it actually delivered to you? Since you can pick up avatars from worlds I'd imagine they would make a private instance and let you pick it there? Or is it somehow sent to you for your own implementation?

They would most likely provide you unity files to upload it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheezle posted:

They would most likely provide you unity files to upload it yourself.

Should just get sent as a compiled Unity package, you just open it in a Unity Project and drag the avatar prefab into the Project window. Then use the Builder menu in the VRCSDK to upload.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 30, 2022