Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/ashly_burch/status/1546195164556718080?s=20&t=b3y5x0gElNsdSVxfaMow6A

Pretty much sums up all of my experiences with VRChat. I like the weirdness, but only in very small doses. I'm sure there's plenty of sketchy stuff but at least in my experience you'd have to go looking for it.

I did visit some invite-only 21+ nightclubs but they all ended up being, like, raves in a giant club setting but with only 8 people there who already knew each other, and it was very much the feeling of going to a party and knowing nobody. So I just stick to popping in every so often, visiting whatever the strangest looking places are, and then going back to Pokerstars.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, but I heard there are FURRIES there!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's a cursed CatDog meme, based on two cat and dog themed hololive streamers if you want context. Multi-leg avatars are a real bitch to get working, so the creator put some real effort into making that drat thing work.

Also that's a REAL old gif, because that's the old nametag.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Oxyclean posted:

I'm very much a "I just want to hang out with my close friends" type so VR Chat is cool, but I have little interest in public lobbies. Most people are probably chill and I definitely have some social anxiety, but it's mostly that I just want to be in a space where I trust the people around me / don't need to worry about people intruding or intruding on other people.

Hah, years ago I fired up Second Life out of curiosity and right off the bat some guy made a beeline for me and stood basically right in front of my nose being all HEY HI WELCOME WELCOME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW I CAN HELP OK GREAT OH CAN YOU HEAR ME HELLO HELLO HEY HI ARE YOU OK

I ignored him and walked some distance away, but he stuck to me like glue. I scanned the UI for some kind of mute/kick but decided "ugh, gently caress this I'll try again later" and 'later' never happened.

Years later I decided to try online gaming and fired up Team Fortress on the Xbox. It was logged in with my wife's account. Holy poo poo what a cesspool that was.

I can really understand Nintendo's approach to online gaming which explains all their weird restrictive decisions: never (as in never ever) will your kid hear someone call them something vile while playing Mario Kart (or whatever).

I guess what I'm getting at is that absolutely everything that exists in VR is 100% going to be someone's first VR experience.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I definitely appreciate Nintendo's resistance/apathy towards voice chat. Splatoon is very much better without having to deal with armchair generals with a bad mics trying to call plays.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I guess what I'm getting at is that absolutely everything that exists in VR is 100% going to be someone's first VR experience.
So I played VRchat in desktop a few times, but my first time in actual VR involved getting "jumped scared" by this:

It was just like a moment of being pre-occupied using a mirror, only to notice there was a stranger with a strange avatar to my right.

loving hilarious though once it sunk in what the avatar was supposed to be (Killer Queen) - and they seemed okay enough, or at least didn't call me anything mean.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's 2022, leave the furries alone already.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I enjoy meeting up with a small group of friends in vrchat occasionally, as one of a round robin of games to socialize in. It’s definitely a plus that non-VR people can still join. We explore random worlds, and sometimes even talk to randoms a bit.

Socializing with random people without a posse to back me up? Both terrifying and repugnant.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I'm not really into chatting with people in VR. I occasionally enjoy exploring a lot of the cool worlds people have built. I found an avatar I really like in a Japanese avatar museum. It's a little flower pot with legs and a single sunflower coming out of the dirt in the pot. If I do decide to talk, the flower has a hidden mouth that opens when you speak. A lot of times I will just silently wander around and see what's up. If someone starts being annoying, I can block them and they completely disappear from my existence, it's great!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've met some nice people that I see online occasionally, we hop a couple of worlds then just sit down somewhere quiet and shoot the poo poo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I never got into VRChat because all my friends have a good VR PC and I'm stuck on a Quest2 :|

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Gym Leader Barack posted:

Get a cheap wifi6 router and use it just for airlink, live that tether free lifestyle

I don’t think our internet upload speed is fast enough. It’s only 10mbs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's over your local network so your internet speed won't factor into it at all. Just need a decent enough router and to have your PC hardwired to the router for best results.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Tried out that new “First Hand” demo (First Steps but for hand tracking) and it’s honestly really well done. Not even close to being as “holy poo poo” as First Steps is for newbies, but the interactions are definitely the best I’ve experienced with hand tracking.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5030224183773255/

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Tentative steps onto wireless link on my quest 2 as I am thinking about picking up some no man's sky and the other game mentioned pages ago and playing in VR, and generally expanding my games list.

My network seems to be fine according to the troubleshooter, but my CORE I7-4770K from 2014 is seemingly not going to cut it. Or is my GeForce GTX 1660 Ti the bigger bottleneck to PCVR ?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So I originally had a Rift S and had bought a bunch of games for it. Am I correct in that i need to buy the games again for the Quest 2? When I look at my library I couldn’t find my old games until I saw there’s a separate section for Rift S games, which it seems I can’t play on my Quest 2 so it seems I need to buy them again. Unless I’m missing something.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

My main experience with public VRChat worlds has been getting immediately called transphobic slurs when I open my mouth, so I don't really do public VRChat.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

So I originally had a Rift S and had bought a bunch of games for it. Am I correct in that i need to buy the games again for the Quest 2? When I look at my library I couldn’t find my old games until I saw there’s a separate section for Rift S games, which it seems I can’t play on my Quest 2 so it seems I need to buy them again. Unless I’m missing something.

They are separate stores, but some games are flagged as cross-buy which means you buy on one store and can download on both. Dunno what games you have but chances are that a few are probably on that list. Otherwise if you want to be able to play away from your gaming PC you'll have to buy the Quest specific version in that store. You CAN still play all of your Rift games using the link cable or air link / virtual desktop as well.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

They are separate stores, but some games are flagged as cross-buy which means you buy on one store and can download on both. Dunno what games you have but chances are that a few are probably on that list. Otherwise if you want to be able to play away from your gaming PC you'll have to buy the Quest specific version in that store. You CAN still play all of your Rift games using the link cable or air link / virtual desktop as well.

What about Beat Saber? That was the first one I was going to download but then saw that it wasn’t in my library and I only had option to purchase it again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

theblackw0lf posted:

What about Beat Saber? That was the first one I was going to download but then saw that it wasn’t in my library and I only had option to purchase it again.

Most of the Facebook published games are cross buy. Beat Saber is one of the few exceptions.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

theblackw0lf posted:

It depends on the game, but a lot of them are crossbuy. I think they don't show up in your library automatically but if you search for them on the store with your quest, the button will say "get" instead of "purchase". That's how it worked for me when getting PCVR versions of games I bought on the Quest, anyway.

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here

Mischievous Mink posted:

My main experience with public VRChat worlds has been getting immediately called transphobic slurs when I open my mouth, so I don't really do public VRChat.

Public worlds act as a filter for the bad apples and provide a barrier to the much more enjoyable communities. Between unsupervised kids using Quests, overused meme avatars, crashers, every flavor of troll, and racist/sexist comments galore, they are absolutely terrible places. The idea is, as a new user, you eventually find other chill people worth hanging out with. That new chill friend then brings you into friends+ instances where you start making friends with other chill people. Eventually, you make enough friends that public instances become obsolete, as your social circle continues to propagate among other chill users and communities. Meanwhile, the worst of the community gets left behind to rot among their peers.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

theblackw0lf posted:

If you're going to keep playing them on your PC using link you still can.

If you want them native on the quest. You're rebuying a lot of stuff probably.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Oxyclean posted:

being untethered is great, but my experience has been hit and miss despite having a router that should be capable with absolutely nothing else on the network using wifi, so I'm a bit apprehensive about shelling out for a dedicated access point, as well as then probably shelling out for a backup battery solution, and figuring out how to attach that...

Have you checked that your neighbours aren't using the same Wifi channel?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Another sealed Quest 2 where the front plastic is a little scuffed out of the box, the controllers are subtly dirty, and there are marks around the USB-C port where it's clearly been plugged in before.

Is Best Buy loving with me, or is it normal for these to come from the factory this way?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Unsinkabear posted:

Another sealed Quest 2 where the front plastic is a little scuffed out of the box, the controllers are subtly dirty, and there are marks around the USB-C port where it's clearly been plugged in before.

Is Best Buy loving with me, or is it normal for these to come from the factory this way?

I'd open the next one in store tbh. I wouldn't accept a NEW product with scuffs at all.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

I'd open the next one in store tbh. I wouldn't accept a NEW product with scuffs at all.

Closest store with stock is an hour away, so I'm stuck rolling the mail order dice over and over, with warehouses who are apparently capitalizing on the current stock issues by just sending out refurbs as new. I can't believe they had the absolute balls to do it to me twice.

I want to call them out on this, but I have no idea where to put it that will actually get seen

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 5, 2022

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

What’s the price range I’m looking at if I want to buy a wifi6 router that can stream to the quest effectively?

And any recommendations? (Preferably under 100 if possible though I know it might not be)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Unsinkabear posted:

Closest store with stock is an hour away, so I'm stuck rolling the mail order dice over and over, with warehouses who are apparently capitalizing on the current stock issues by just sending out refurbs as new. I can't believe they had the absolute balls to do it to me twice.

I want to call them out on this, but I have no idea where to put it that will actually get seen

Twitter and such tends to work if you can get a few people to hit it. Honestly sounds like you may just need to call over it.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Twitter and such tends to work if you can get a few people to hit it. Honestly sounds like you may just need to call over it.

E: see below, the tweet I made (hopefully) no longer needs attention.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 6, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Best Buy is sending me a new new one by Thursday, and "escalated" it to be handled by some special team to make sure they actually put a new one in the box.

At least, that's what the woman on the phone said. No replacement order info has been issued like it was the first time, and nothing has changed in my account. Not sure whose email this got applied to but it does not appear to have been mine.

Buy your next unit from Amazon, folks. They're evil but this poo poo ain't worth it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's nuts how official that NomaiVR mod for outer wilds feels. Playing it again and it runs much better, although floating around on the boats in the DLC area made me feel ill enough to put it down for the night.. :sweatdrop:

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

I picked up a 64gb quest 2 from a pawnshop a while ago. Bought a cheap strap, cheap battery, and cheap cord too. There's probably better quality products out there, but I live my life by sorting amazon for low prices with prime shipping.

Headstrap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096LHWYD1
Battery: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQG75MZ
Cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJNQT6F

I went with a 64gb with full intentions of setting up air link. Picked up a refurb TP-Link AX1800 AX21, and it works well so far.

Router: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H8ZLKKK

No Man's Sky looks kinda gross in the Oculus VR environment. The reverb g2 also had trouble and took some tinkering to run smoothly / look nice. Could be my pc and no mans sky, will keep playing around with it. Everything else looks and plays fine so far over air link. Beat saber plays real well. The tracking is very good after dealing with the reverb for so long.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

What’s the price range I’m looking at if I want to buy a wifi6 router that can stream to the quest effectively?

And any recommendations? (Preferably under 100 if possible though I know it might not be)

I bought a TP-Link AX20 for about $100 and it does airlink flawlessly.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I’ve been using VRChat 2-3 evenings a week since around the time the pandemic started, but only because I have a like-minded group of online friends to hang out with. As far as I’m concerned, public instances might as well not exist; VRChat is only fun as a social experience when you know the people around you aren’t going to bombard you with slurs.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey folks!

I'm wondering if there's been any rumors or details about the next generation of headsets yet? I had an Oculus CV1 and all the competitors seemed to be a "Comfort, clarity, usability: pick 2" type of situation. I was hoping that there would be a manufacturer who combines the optics of a Reverb or Index with the usability of the Oculus/Meta products. But when I scour uploadvr and some other site, there doesn't seem to be that much progress going on right now.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hell yea

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hey folks!

I'm wondering if there's been any rumors or details about the next generation of headsets yet? I had an Oculus CV1 and all the competitors seemed to be a "Comfort, clarity, usability: pick 2" type of situation. I was hoping that there would be a manufacturer who combines the optics of a Reverb or Index with the usability of the Oculus/Meta products. But when I scour uploadvr and some other site, there doesn't seem to be that much progress going on right now.

Not really, Facebook are still talking about the Cambria but haven't shown anything of it officially yet and there haven't even been any leaks about a Quest 3. With Facebook bleeding cash from the VR division specifically it feels unlikely that there's any new hardware projects starting. The other company doing anything is Pico with the Neo 4 supposedly coming this year but that's probably not going to be a huge leap from the Neo 3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hey folks!

The rumor of the next headset from Meta is 'Eye tracking, face tracking, controllers with cameras to do tracking on themselves, oriented to prosumer/professionals, miniled screen with 15% more resolution, pancake lenses, same chip as Q2 but with better cooling so they will increase the clocks, it's going to cost $800 at least'.
There are rumors of Valve working on a standalone/hybrid headset but you know, it could be 18-24 months away. They are focused on the Steam Deck right now, I guess.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The Cambria is apparently coming out very soon. SadlyItsBradley claims that it's going to be announced at the Meta Connect, and released on October 25th at $1500 for the whole set. He seems very sure of his sources.
https://sadlyinreality.com/the-final-meta-quest-pro-analysis/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It should be mentioned that Cambria is absolutely not marketed (or intended to be priced) as a general consumer VR item. It isn't and shouldn't be thought of as "Quest 3"

The Quest 2 is also expected to be around and supported for a long time.

Whether that means an affordable Q3 is or isn't coming anytime soon, nobody really knows yet.