Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There probably isn't going to be a Quest 3 until Qualcomm make an XR3, and the last I saw that wasn't expected until the end of 2023 at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I definitely appreciate Nintendo's resistance/apathy towards voice chat. Splatoon is very much better without having to deal with armchair generals with a bad mics trying to call plays.

So I played VRchat in desktop a few times, but my first time in actual VR involved getting "jumped scared" by this:

It was just like a moment of being pre-occupied using a mirror, only to notice there was a stranger with a strange avatar to my right.

loving hilarious though once it sunk in what the avatar was supposed to be (Killer Queen) - and they seemed okay enough, or at least didn't call me anything mean.

lmfao this is great

honestly, I just haven't bothered with VRChat because I figured it would mostly be kids and that would just feel extremely awkward. I'm sure there are cool communities though, just not sure I feel the need to put the time and effort into getting into them. It's absolutely not the game's fault that I'm asking to be able to dive into a random internet community and somehow be guaranteed that it's a chill hangout for relatively cool adults lol

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a cursed CatDog meme, based on two cat and dog themed hololive streamers if you want context.

I don't care, to me that's a stray Xtro catdoggirl.

and I want it where can I get it

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't want to relitigate FOV chat in full again, but man, Walkabout is great but I could really do with an extra 20 degrees or so, I have to turn my head just that bit too much to be comfortable when I'm lining up shots.

I will definitely have to give PSVR2 a go when it comes out, it's meant to be 110 degrees so I guess I'll see how much difference it actually makes!

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Leathal posted:

Tried out that new “First Hand” demo (First Steps but for hand tracking) and it’s honestly really well done. Not even close to being as “holy poo poo” as First Steps is for newbies, but the interactions are definitely the best I’ve experienced with hand tracking.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5030224183773255/

I feel incredibly dumb but where do I download this? I searched for it in the store on the quest and in the oculus desktop app while I was airlinked and nothing showed up in search results. So I followed the link in your post and clicked "get" which changed to "purchased" and nothing happened. It's not listed in my purchase history either.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

I feel incredibly dumb but where do I download this? I searched for it in the store on the quest and in the oculus desktop app while I was airlinked and nothing showed up in search results. So I followed the link in your post and clicked "get" which changed to "purchased" and nothing happened. It's not listed in my purchase history either.

It's an App Lab game, so if you've got it check your library filters to make sure you're showing everything.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Don't want to relitigate FOV chat in full again, but man, Walkabout is great but I could really do with an extra 20 degrees or so, I have to turn my head just that bit too much to be comfortable when I'm lining up shots.

I will definitely have to give PSVR2 a go when it comes out, it's meant to be 110 degrees so I guess I'll see how much difference it actually makes!

Pimax put out a 200-degree headset in 2017 and no mainstream headset has even approached that 5 years since. It makes such a huge difference and now I can't go back to anything else, even though their driver support is janky as hell. Luckily having Valve controllers and trackers alleviates some of that jank.

With this "high-end" Meta headset allegedly coming in at $1500, I'm very interested to see how it's polish stacks up in real life against the $2400 12k headset that Pimax is working on with the bonkers specifications. At a minimum, Pimax sells on Amazon so I can try stuff risk-free and return it (like I had to do with the 8K headset because it had wonky close-up focal distance whereas my 5K was comfortable optically for all of HL:Alyx).

You know what else hasn't come out since that start of VR which should have by now? A universal wireless adapter. I don't get how no company has tried for something like the Vive Wireless Adapter but with a universal input up to whatever the highest feasible bitrate is. It could double as a way to stream to TVs or monitors when they need to be wireless for some reason. Maybe they're not bothering because eventually even the Pimax and other PC dependent headsets will all have an onboard processor with Wifi 6E and sufficiently low-latency encoding?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

njsykora posted:

It's an App Lab game, so if you've got it check your library filters to make sure you're showing everything.

It randomly showed up in my app list on my quest about half hour later with the option to install. It's neat.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
https://uploadvr.com/sidequest-isnt-accepting-gorilla-tag-clones-anymore/

From the comments:

“Entering "Gorilla" in the SideQuestVR search currently returns 149 results, with Gorilla Tag being only #9”

Holy poo poo, 100+ clones in a niche of a niche of the gaming market? Lemming’s about to get bought out by Microsoft

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Leathal posted:

From the comments:

“Entering "Gorilla" in the SideQuestVR search currently returns 149 results, with Gorilla Tag being only #9”

Holy poo poo, 100+ clones in a niche of a niche of the gaming market? Lemming’s about to get bought out by Microsoft

How long till they delete the original for not having NFTs or something?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rectus posted:

How long till they delete the original for not having NFTs or something?

What are you even trying to say here? lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

What are you even trying to say here? lol

I think they're asking "How long till they delete the original for not having NFTs or something?"

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

I think they're asking "How long till they delete the original for not having NFTs or something?"

So random rail against NFTs and Sidequest?

Is Sidequest some NFT minting group now or something?

I just don't get the point of the jab there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a whole lot of people in response to that going "BUT I THOUGHT THEY WERE THE OPEN PLATFORM?!" which I'm finding very funny.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

So random rail against NFTs and Sidequest?

Is Sidequest some NFT minting group now or something?

I just don't get the point of the jab there.

Whoops, got Sidequest and Applab mixed up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Leathal posted:

From the comments:

I guess it was naive to release the locomotion as open source, I hoped that people would use it as a basis for making games but with good locomotion, but it just turned into a bunch of trash clones. Oh well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Back when I got my index in March of 20pandemic, the lighthouses would go to sleep with the rest of the hardware when I shut down VR. These days, they never shut off unless I unplug then, which is dumb, and if I’m not paying attention can lead to them running for days at a time, which I’m sure isn’t great for their lifespan. Windows 11, but I had this issue on 10 as well.

What gives?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

I guess it was naive to release the locomotion as open source, I hoped that people would use it as a basis for making games but with good locomotion, but it just turned into a bunch of trash clones. Oh well.

For what it’s worth I’m mucking around with your locomotion stuff for making other games. Trying a stealth game where you’re a horrible little goblin trying to steal things from humans but I’m not very good at making games so we will see.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Back when I got my index in March of 20pandemic, the lighthouses would go to sleep with the rest of the hardware when I shut down VR. These days, they never shut off unless I unplug then, which is dumb, and if I’m not paying attention can lead to them running for days at a time, which I’m sure isn’t great for their lifespan. Windows 11, but I had this issue on 10 as well.

What gives?

Do what i did and buy a couple of smart plugs. The auto sleep thing is always flakey

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dietrich posted:

Do what i did and buy a couple of smart plugs. The auto sleep thing is always flakey

This. I have an echo/alexa thing setup "Turn on tracking" "Turn off tracking". Works great.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lemming posted:

It sucks that they're doing that but I also think it's a really great thing to have that kind of tech open source and it was cool of you to do so.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

All on Board! is finished their Kickstarter, this is the list of licensed games they will have at the start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXgR-QvIO-o

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/lenovo-legion-vr700-tease-china/

Lenovo may be releasing a new headset

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Are releasing.

Not a maybe from my understanding.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there any reason to get excited about that one? I feel like another $1500 ultra-niche headset isn't going to move the needle much in the market, but neither will an also-ran in the Quest space that doesn't offer any major advantages

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Anything from the Legion wing of Lenovo is basically guaranteed to be a corner-cut clusterfuck, so I wouldn't devote too much brain power to worrying about it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Are releasing.

Not a maybe from my understanding.

Yeah you are right. I guess the 'may' was because I thought there was a chance it was a China only product or something like that, from our perspective it could be liked there was no release.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah you are right. I guess the 'may' was because I thought there was a chance it was a China only product or something like that, from our perspective it could be liked there was no release.

That COULD happen. Its taking a while for PICO to really break into the US market, so we'll see. But it definitely will exist.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Anything from the Legion wing of Lenovo is basically guaranteed to be a corner-cut clusterfuck, so I wouldn't devote too much brain power to worrying about it

I have a Legion monitor and am very happy with it, but I have no faith in them making a VR headset though.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

I have a Legion monitor and am very happy with it, but I have no faith in them making a VR headset though.

Wasn't Rift S essentially a rebadged Lenovo?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

EbolaIvory posted:

That COULD happen. Its taking a while for PICO to really break into the US market, so we'll see. But it definitely will exist.

It's not even all that necessary for a Chinese headset to break into the US market. Even if they don't make it to America there's still more room for competition here than outside China right now.

The Quest 2 doesn't dominate VR in China, it doesnt work without a VPN. But, especially because of the Pico Neo, theres interest in more than garbage non-gaming headsets now.

I think that's a good thing though, releasing a good headset isnt the only thing that matters if you have to compete with Oculus too, and that's barely a part of the equation if you're releasing in China.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MikusR posted:

Wasn't Rift S essentially a rebadged Lenovo?

Yeah I’m pretty sure it even says Lenovo on it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Index users, and/or wired quest users, how annoying is it having a cable dangling from your face the whole time? Does it ultimately not affect much or do you find it limits your movement pretty heavily?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BrainDance posted:

It's not even all that necessary for a Chinese headset to break into the US market. Even if they don't make it to America there's still more room for competition here than outside China right now.

They want part of this market. I'm pretty familiar with pico in general (Hopefully start working on a port to pico soon!).

I could probably ramble about all the reasons why its just now with the 4 they are finally pushing US turf. But it sums up in kinda quick.

Tiktok VR is at its "peak". Timing here I think is super important. They can now start paying some of these VR influencers to do ads for the pico + native pico ads, etc. There is so much possible tie in here I could write a book.

The headset and software needed to be ready for Karen, and they know this. It also needs to be priced near the quest if its going to give the "same" experience with the same titles across both platforms.

Kinda sums up what I'm thinking just based off what little I actually know from the tiktok side and what bits i do know from the pico side. But if they do everything right, they may not dominate, but itll put a dent into meta sales enough they can co-exist as a valid option and not just a niche headset that goes away next year.

Agent355 posted:

Index users, and/or wired quest users, how annoying is it having a cable dangling from your face the whole time? Does it ultimately not affect much or do you find it limits your movement pretty heavily?

I've been back and forth on wireless.

I prefer wireless.

The cable bothers me minimally though. I don't spend less time in my headset due to a cable.

If I had money to burn, I'd probably pick up the index wireless thing (buddy tried it, says its quality, hes anal, i believe him), otherwise eh, I'll wait til the next headset comes out and debate the plan.

With all that said. If you're ultra active and spin tons and have a hard time micromanaging cable spins bla bla bla, wireless can be way bigger of a deal. Like way way bigger of a deal.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 10, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I’m pretty sure it even says Lenovo on it

It was supposedly a "partnership" with Oculus but if you look at it for two seconds compared to the preceding Oculus and Lenovo headsets there sure looks like a lot more Lenovo to it than Oculus.

Also :lol: at Lenovo, even now, still using the licensed PSVR HMD form factor. If that thing uses a single panel display with digital IPD spacing I will not be surprised.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Agent355 posted:

It was "moderately" annoying before I put up one of those turbonerd ceiling cable management systems, now it is basically a non-issue - although occasionally you will want to check how twisted up it's getting (use Turn Signal)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I thought about a pulley system, I'm a turbonerd so I don't care about the optics, but I have really really high ceilings so it wouldn't work.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Agent355 posted:

I thought about a pulley system, I'm a turbonerd so I don't care about the optics, but I have really really high ceilings so it wouldn't work.

Even if you did, you may end up like me and damage more cables that way + be more annoyed since you can rotate less with a pulley system before having to untangle than you can with it on the floor assuming its not stretched to its max.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I feel like I'd be mostly concerned with the cable hitting my arms when I'm trying to move around? Lots of games don't require rotation at all, like beat saber for instance, and I don't mind being a little aware that I'm stepping on some loops of cable at my feet.

I'm picturing it like, coiling around my legs or getting caught on my arms as I play though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Agent355 posted:

I feel like I'd be mostly concerned with the cable hitting my arms when I'm trying to move around? Lots of games don't require rotation at all, like beat saber for instance, and I don't mind being a little aware that I'm stepping on some loops of cable at my feet.

I'm picturing it like, coiling around my legs or getting caught on my arms as I play though.

Nah i used to dance around like a doofus 6-8 hours a night playing saber on a wire. You'll trip on it before you have it banging on your arms regularly if its on the floor behind you or w/e. You'll learn how to walk around it pretty fast, dont stress.