Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think in general it’s just directly mirroring one eye of the headset, so there is no extra processing it’s just output=headset AND output=monitor, it’s not rendered again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Does it take much computer juice to mirror the screen onto a monitor with PCVR?

It defaults to showing the game on the PC and I didn't know if I could eek out some better performance by minimizing that screen or not. Or maybe there is a setting that would stop it from automatically launching like that.

Once the VR space is rendered in your GPU it takes almost 0 time to put the 2d output on your monitor, if it were possible to kill off the video display on your monitor you wouldn't gain more than a single FPS or two and considering how religiously VR headsets and APIs stick to vsync FPS numbers to avoid stomach upset, you won't notice a difference.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

isn't the desktop window a separate viewport/rt? i thought there were all sorts of unique things to the actual output you get in the VR displays. lens distortion, chromatic aberration compensation, etc. do those get processed out for the desktop window instead of a complete rerender?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

marumaru posted:

isn't the desktop window a separate viewport/rt? i thought there were all sorts of unique things to the actual output you get in the VR displays. lens distortion, chromatic aberration compensation, etc. do those get processed out for the desktop window instead of a complete rerender?

Yeah things like chromatic aberration and warping correction are applied to what is sent to your VR headset in order to make what comes out of the lenses look correct to your eyes, but if the 2d screen output is read before those postprocessing effects are added, then you get the un-distorted view on your screen. Certain applications won't do this and will actually output the distorted view displayed by the panel in an HMD, without any lenses to correct it.

Either way the impact from that viewpoint added by the 2d window is not worth more than a single FPS or two, as all the heavy rendering math is already done by the GPU for the VR display, the 2d viewpoint is just taken from either whatever distorted output goes to the goggles or is the un-distorted output from one of the two rendered viewpoints.

Think of it like a pipeline, all of the rendering work is done by the GPU, and this creates two rendered viewpoints for VR. Then, the output to the framebuffer of those two points goes back into the GPU for distortion in order to make it so what you see in your goggles is correct. Then the warped view comes back out and is sent to your headset on the next frame. The 2D viewpoint is intercepted out of what comes out of the rendering pass before distortion.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 16, 2022

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

How bad is the delay playing Beat Saber over air link? Finally have some time off to fiddle with this thing and I'm thinking about using the referral bucks on RE4 and getting Beat Saber on Steam down the line in case I end up picking up a different headset eventually.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
If you've got a good working setup its totally fine, though latency can depend on your network and software setup to a surprising degree. I don't have a dedicated router and the delay is still under 50ms, which feels almost instant

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tyty posted:

How bad is the delay playing Beat Saber over air link? Finally have some time off to fiddle with this thing and I'm thinking about using the referral bucks on RE4 and getting Beat Saber on Steam down the line in case I end up picking up a different headset eventually.

I would recommend throwing down the dosh for Virtual Desktop in the Quest store, it's more stable than Air Link is, and the reduced overhead from not running the Oculus home on your PC helps. Also, since the Virtual Desktop application is Quest native, it will allow you to press the Oculus button and get the vital stats for your battery levels at a glance, where you cannot get that via Air Link or the link cable, as the Oculus button in Air Link returns you to the PC Oculus home, and it doesn't display battery levels or anything and you'd have to quit Air Link to get them.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

orange juche posted:

Yeah things like chromatic aberration and warping correction are applied to what is sent to your VR headset in order to make what comes out of the lenses look correct to your eyes, but if the 2d screen output is read before those postprocessing effects are added, then you get the un-distorted view on your screen. Certain applications won't do this and will actually output the distorted view displayed by the panel in an HMD, without any lenses to correct it.

Either way the impact from that viewpoint added by the 2d window is not worth more than a single FPS or two, as all the heavy rendering math is already done by the GPU for the VR display, the 2d viewpoint is just taken from either whatever distorted output goes to the goggles or is the un-distorted output from one of the two rendered viewpoints.

Think of it like a pipeline, all of the rendering work is done by the GPU, and this creates two rendered viewpoints for VR. Then, the output to the framebuffer of those two points goes back into the GPU for distortion in order to make it so what you see in your goggles is correct. Then the warped view comes back out and is sent to your headset on the next frame. The 2D viewpoint is intercepted out of what comes out of the rendering pass before distortion.

i never thought that it could be post processing. thought it was lower level than that, which would render the results unsuitable for pancake displays. cool!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

marumaru posted:

i never thought that it could be post processing. thought it was lower level than that, which would render the results unsuitable for pancake displays. cool!

Nope, it's easier to warp the flat image in the framebuffer, than it is to execute math during the rendering process to get a VR suitable output.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tyty posted:

Shockingly good if you have a good wireless network.

I fired up Beat Saber more or less as a joke when I was first testing Air Link and expected it to be a miserable failure, instead I ended up PBing one of my favorite songs with an almost perfect run.

That was with no tweaking or tuning of any variety, just a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro on the other side of a wall in a more or less default configuration with a bunch of other clients connected.

That said I also accidentally connected the Quest to my 2.4GHz network and that was a disaster.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I'm surprised the lovely windows MR interface and the crappy windows MR touch controllers aren't mentioned as more of a deal breaker for the G2 than anything else lol.

Also, trying to shoe horn the Steam VR compositor over virtualdesktop/airlink/link and then wondering why there's issues.

I'm sure it should in theory work 100%, but that's like layers and layers of compositors / compatibility poo poo being added into the mix that seems an easy way for things to go wrong.

I'm still using an OG Rift, and Steam VR always felt janky as gently caress to deal with compared to any PCVR software using a native Oculus runtime.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 16, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

w00tazn posted:

I'm still using an OG Rift, and Steam VR always felt janky as gently caress to deal with compared to any PCVR software using a native Oculus runtime.

I never had issues with steamvr on my cv1. Ever.

It felt the same as playing oculus native stuff tbqh. Well, assuming the game had control bindings and poo poo. Some older stuff was jaaaaaanky.

w00tazn posted:

I'm surprised the lovely windows MR interface and the crappy windows MR touch controllers aren't mentioned as more of a deal breaker for the G2 than anything else lol.

I actually forget about this personally. I've had kinda good luck with that stupid portal. It just "worked" for me. :-\

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 16, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Myst DLC incoming
https://twitter.com/WalkaboutMG/status/1559238495620608000

And next DLC will be...

---

v43 coming with the Meta accounts
https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Announcements-and-Releases/Meta-Quest-build-v43-release-notes/m-p/978786#M2713

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

:eng101:

quote:

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of August 8th, 2022.
:eng99:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuuuuck their slow roll firmware thing. I waited like 10 drat months to get the 120hz firmware.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
my body is ready for thrill of the fight 2

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

chippy posted:

Second person on this page I've seen saying they don't need the glasses spacer with lens inserts.

I have VR optician lenses and I have to use the spacer with them because otherwise my eyelashes brush the lens and it's irritating. I have a pretty weak prescription so they aren't super thick.

Those of you using lenses without the spacer, where did you get them from? I want this.

I got mine from VRWave. Just looking at the VR Optician product listings, I think the VRWave setup is significantly slimmer—the lenses sit only a few millimeters over the Quest 2 eyepieces.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay myst minigolf crossover is something I'd never considered but I am totally here for.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This is a bit of a long shot, but has anyone heard of a Rift S not receiving enough power after installing an SSD into a PC? Would a Rift S not receiving enough power over USB throw tracking errors and ask you to recreate the guardian a bunch?

An internet friend has started having a ton of problems with their Rift S when trying to play VR Chat after they had an SSD installed into their PC by another friend. VR Friend isn't very tech savvy so debugging with them has been tricky - but they describe getting tracking errors and having to constantly redraw their guardian, the headset taking longer to active/turn on after they put it on - I've tried to get them to reinstall various VR related stuff on the off chance something weird broke when they we trying to move stuff over to their SSD, but so far we've had no luck improving stuff. They also seemed to think oculus tray tool was the thing letting them play VR Chat previously, as their computer isn't very strong - but I'm not really familiar with it and I'm under the impression they didn't do anything besides just run it, in which case I don't think it offers performance improvements?

The closest problem I can find other people having is the headset not getting enough power over USB or something - it'd be strange for that to suddenly be a problem when it wasn't before, but I suspect that maybe the SSD is drawing just enough power to cause a problem? I don't think my friend plugged the headset back into the wrong port or anything, or it sounds like the Rift will complain if it's not plugged into a 3.0 anyways?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There are a few options on the market so I'll ask here.

Y'all have a preferred battery pack and strap for the quest 2?

I'm starting to feel like I want to play it for longer than the 90-120 minutes I get off the basic battery, and the basic strap is ~fine~ but not very stable/comfortable. I'm sure there are some third party options or maybe official peripherals that are better.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I love my Elite strap with battery. I've read of them breaking often, but mine has worked very well.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I was recommended this one for a battery integrated option that's an elite clone but won't break. Seems to be pretty popular

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Oxyclean posted:

This is a bit of a long shot, but has anyone heard of a Rift S not receiving enough power after installing an SSD into a PC? Would a Rift S not receiving enough power over USB throw tracking errors and ask you to recreate the guardian a bunch?

An internet friend has started having a ton of problems with their Rift S when trying to play VR Chat after they had an SSD installed into their PC by another friend. VR Friend isn't very tech savvy so debugging with them has been tricky - but they describe getting tracking errors and having to constantly redraw their guardian, the headset taking longer to active/turn on after they put it on - I've tried to get them to reinstall various VR related stuff on the off chance something weird broke when they we trying to move stuff over to their SSD, but so far we've had no luck improving stuff. They also seemed to think oculus tray tool was the thing letting them play VR Chat previously, as their computer isn't very strong - but I'm not really familiar with it and I'm under the impression they didn't do anything besides just run it, in which case I don't think it offers performance improvements?

The closest problem I can find other people having is the headset not getting enough power over USB or something - it'd be strange for that to suddenly be a problem when it wasn't before, but I suspect that maybe the SSD is drawing just enough power to cause a problem? I don't think my friend plugged the headset back into the wrong port or anything, or it sounds like the Rift will complain if it's not plugged into a 3.0 anyways?

This may sound a little simplistic, but tell them to try deleting their guardian history (I don't remember exactly where that is in the settings, probably in the guardian settings). I had exactly the problems you described: slow booting up, having to redraw the guardian every time, random jitters, and deleting the guardian history fixed it. Seems like sometimes that can get a little corrupted (which I could see happening in a hard drive transfer) or end up with multiple overlapping guardians that confuse it, and cause those sorts of problems. Worked for me at least.

Oculus Tray Tool can help performance with certain settings, such as it automatically setting the priority to high or lowering what is being rendered outside the FOV, although if your friend was just running it and doing nothing else...I don't remember what the default settings are right out of a clean install and if that would do anything.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

my body is ready for thrill of the fight 2

I still haven't beaten the final opponent, but I can TKO most of the other opponents in the first round. I think it's safe to say I could win in a real-life fight against a really drunk uncoordinated guy.

Can't wait to try out the next game!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

I was recommended this one for a battery integrated option that's an elite clone but won't break. Seems to be pretty popular

The bobo stuff is great because the batteries are hot-swappable, so if you get a charging dock you can buy a second battery and then just live in VR wirelessly and swap batteries every ~2h and never have your batteries die. I think I was in VR continuously for 9 hours at one point according to XSOverlay lol, in various applications. Never had a low battery warning as long as I remembered to swap the batteries every 2h.

(I have the BoboVR M2 Pro though, so it's probably more comfortable for long term wear than the elite strap since it's a halo band, though it has its own problems when it comes to headband bulk since it isn't modular like the newer Plus stuff)

E: If you're a fan of the Elite Strap back that holds on to your head, they do have an M2 Plus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3RWQZGS which combines the halo strap with Elite back, and is probably more comfortable and easier to clean than the M2 Pro, it does not have the Battery module with it though, that is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4FWPR1Z)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 17, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

orange juche posted:

The bobo stuff is great because the batteries are hot-swappable, so if you get a charging dock you can buy a second battery and then just live in VR wirelessly and swap batteries every ~2h and never have your batteries die. I think I was in VR continuously for 9 hours at one point according to XSOverlay lol, in various applications. Never had a low battery warning as long as I remembered to swap the batteries every 2h.

(I have the BoboVR M2 Pro though, so it's probably more comfortable for long term wear than the elite strap since it's a halo band, though it has its own problems when it comes to headband bulk since it isn't modular like the newer Plus stuff)

E: If you're a fan of the Elite Strap back that holds on to your head, they do have an M2 Plus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3RWQZGS which combines the halo strap with Elite back, and is probably more comfortable and easier to clean than the M2 Pro, it does not have the Battery module with it though, that is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4FWPR1Z)

https://amzn.to/3SQLavz

They have a whole rear end kit with 2 batteries even, neat.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm looking for a certain video of Horizons where a bunch of kids are messing around and punching each other and a Horizons moderator is futilely trying to stop them. You can really tell how much he hates his job.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

orange juche posted:

I don't know if I'm a fan of elite or halo yet, but I got the impression most people preferred the former?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

I don't know if I'm a fan of elite or halo yet, but I got the impression most people preferred the former?

It's harder to do a halo headband that doesn't suck, than an elite headband that works good enough. Properly done, a halo strap will make it so you can wear the headset for extreme periods of time without giving you raccoon eyes like an elite strap will do, since most of the compression against your head goes from the back of your head to the other end of the halo which is somewhere on your forehead and not on your face. Also the hinged swivel on those particular halo headbands allows you to quickly lift the headband front up and basically perch the Oculus on your forehead without removing the headset completely, in case you need to pop out of VR quickly.

Downside of a halo headband: bulkier than an elite band, can be heavier than an elite band, can't sleep while wearing one due to the bulk and weight of the band.

Elite strap style headbands are generally lighter overall and can be comfy for some people if you can deal with the headset pressing tighter against your face and potentially leaving a mark.

For the record, the (original) boboVR M2 halo style bands are bulky and not comfortable to lay down in, however if your primary experiences are standing/sitting in VR, the bobovr bands are amazing in that configuration and can be worn all day due to the clamping force not being applied to your face, and the weight being distributed very evenly between front and back of the head which prevents the headset from tiring out your neck muscles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7vujzqnWQI

review of both versions of the bobo VR Plus strap, and a comparison to the M2 Pro

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 17, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ultimechs will be F2p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Va_cXFWFL0

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://about.fb.com/news/2022/08/launching-horizon-worlds-in-more-countries-in-europe/ (Coming to France and Spain)

How is this an official photo... I will put it in full size glory, instead with -timg- so you can appreciate Zuck's greatness (you are welcome)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

https://about.fb.com/news/2022/08/launching-horizon-worlds-in-more-countries-in-europe/ (Coming to France and Spain)

How is this an official photo... I will put it in full size glory, instead with -timg- so you can appreciate Zuck's greatness (you are welcome)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4aE1SUoxG8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Wow, they got the unpaid Intern with "a passion for 3D modelling" to spend a whole afternoon on the assets for that image, huh?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was producing better models than that within a week of installing blender.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I recently purchased a DeadeyeVR Golf Club handle and started playing Golf+, and it's loving rad. It also expertly captures my slice, so it's almost like actually being on the course. I wish I had to actually spend 15m after each tee shot looking for my ball and holding up the group behind me though like I do in real life.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

4 years ago??? Jesus gently caress

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

I was producing better models than that within a week of installing blender.

I've made better scenes in bryce 3d...

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Quest Saga update: Costco has the 256gb model bundled with a carrying case for the old $400 price. In-warehouse only, but you can use Instacart to check your warehouse's stock before going in (be stubborn and specific, it didn't show up under "quest" but did under "quest 2")

I nabbed one of those and returned the Best Buy one, because their service experience has been horrible while Costco gives a full year of help and return window.

The new one is also jacked, for what it's worth. The headset is in the best condition of any of the five so far, but the left controller has a big black scratch around the inside of the circle (how do you even manage that?). This one was manufactured in December and still has the old Oculus branding on the box instead of Meta, so it can't be from the same batch. I think their factory QA must just not give much of a drat about cosmetics (still no idea about the one whose USB port was clearly scratched up from trying to plug in with the headset on, though).

Is there anything I should worry about with the older version, or is it just box branding and no other differences?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Roadie posted:

I got mine from VRWave. Just looking at the VR Optician product listings, I think the VRWave setup is significantly slimmer—the lenses sit only a few millimeters over the Quest 2 eyepieces.

You're right, they do look thinner. I might have to get some from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Logitech is releasing the Chorus, an aftermarket off-ear headphone solution for the Quest. Neat