Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
It's been a while since I played anything in VR, but Not For Broadcast got a VR version and it's pretty neat. You're live editing a multicamera broadcast, bleeping out cursewords and running inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well, crisis averted i guess
my pico was kinda an expensive paperweight because my olde wifi can't even download apps before it crashes so i only used it to watch movies in bed one night and laying down does weird things to the back of the strap i guess? it loses focus real quick that way

i tested it properly and the picture is great when i have it on normally and playing with poo poo i copied from my pc via usb cable. way better than the olde vivepro, apart from the contrast but that's just lkd vs oled

e: incredible how good the passthrough on this thing is. the res isn't good but latency is really low

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 28, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe RoV has jumped the gun a bit, but they published a Vertigo 2 review already and they gave it a 9.5/10

Some videos from random youtubers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YurLItuZ1UY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taKzlbrMEqk

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I loved the first Vertigo. Very charming half-like

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been playing VTOL with my friend the past few nights and that new trainer jet (which only one person has to own for both to fly in) really is a good time. The instructor seat in the back has a controls lock so you can't move the thrust/joystick but can still operate the buttons on them so my friend in the front seat is controlling the plane while I'm in the back doing the targeting and firing the weapons. It really is a good way to learn either the flying or the targeting in a less stressful environment because you only have to focus on one of them. I can see this driving sales for the other DLC's or at least getting more people to play the game who were in situations like mine where one friend was maybe hesitant to try but owned it from a bundle or something. The biggest issue I have right now is that it's not always easy to tell which missions you've downloaded are able to use the new jet so quite often we'll get in the lobby which takes you through a couple loading screens before getting to see the computer screen that shows which jets are available and the T-55 is not one of them. The MP lobby system in general needs a bit of work but they did just add room codes which at least makes it easy to find your friend's game without having to sort through all the private lobbies.

The game is just so awesome; even if you're not a hardcore flight sim person it's not too hard to learn how to take off and fly around which feels fun on it's own because of all the toggles and switches and the feedback you get from all of it. People begging for HOTAS support are clearly missing the whole thrust (heh) of the game in that it has to all be VR because you can't possibly bind all the keys you need to a single joystick and it all works very well in VR. I haven't even gotten that deep into the actual missions yet and barely understand how to use most of the munitions but god drat it's satisfying.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kurzgesgagt is making a VR game with Meta.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Who?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Some hipster pop-science Youtube channel. They animate everything in a very HTML5-ish vector style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPFenJQciw

The aesthetic would run very well on a Quest, at least.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
VTOL feels impossible to me. I've tried a few times, and the free floating nature of vr controls makes it almost impossible for me to tell where my throttle level is at or make precision or sudden movements. How are you supposed to play this game that everyone seems to love?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

VTOL feels impossible to me. I've tried a few times, and the free floating nature of vr controls makes it almost impossible for me to tell where my throttle level is at or make precision or sudden movements. How are you supposed to play this game that everyone seems to love?

It's definitely hard coming from HOTAS setups, but you get used to it.

Helps if you have your chair locked down so you can build muscle memory, but definitely feels weird to just be sliding nothing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It helps a lot if you rest your hands on your legs/knees/arms of a chair after grabbing the stick, this sorta lets you pivot on the point instead of having to hold it in the air. The throttle I can't really do that with but you don't need quite the level of accuracy with that as you do the joystick. There's arrow buttons on the chair as well that adjust the stick position in the cockpit so you can move it to a spot where you can rest your hand. That said it is still very touchy and does take some getting used to!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Saints and Sinners 2 question. There's a compound bow you can craft with a laser pointer stuck to it. Presumedly you'd think you could use said laser pointer but I cant figure out how to activate it. Anyone know if it's possible?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Saints and Sinners 2 question. There's a compound bow you can craft with a laser pointer stuck to it. Presumedly you'd think you could use said laser pointer but I cant figure out how to activate it. Anyone know if it's possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1RQ-6-CS_8&t=106s

Index finger opposite hand

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ha yeah right after I posted that I remembered what game I was playing and figured out it was a button on the sight.

I gotta say after like 6 hours with S&S 2 I like it a lot but I still feel like 2 handed anything feels like rear end in this series. I can enjoy one handed weapons, both melee and guns all day, but after 2 playthroughs of S&S 1 and 6 hours of 2 it still feels like there is no rhyme or reason to whether or not a 2 handed melee weapon will kill off just bounce off something. and the fake weight on 2h guns just makes them annoying to deal with. And it feels like there is no motivation to use any of them when I can have 1 handed pistols, shotguns and smgs and melee weapons that all feel better to use and are just as effective. I really tried to go in with an open mind this time but have come to the conclusion 2 handed anything sucks in S&S.

That said S&S is really cool. I like it a lot better than the first one (which I also liked to some extent) The new areas and added incentive to go out at night adds a lot. Game is so much more intense at night when it's dark and there like, hundreds of zombies in the streets. I barely got out of a very lucrative missions earlier and it felt awesome to get to the boat with a sliver of health and a backpack full of awesome poo poo. Also the games just look and play better on PSVR 2 than when I played on a Rift S and PSVR 1 (which was a joke) before that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Some hipster pop-science Youtube channel. They animate everything in a very HTML5-ish vector style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPFenJQciw

The aesthetic would run very well on a Quest, at least.

It reminds me of the aesthetic use by lots of Quill shorts, so I wonder if they will use that tool.

UploadVR also loves Vertigo 2, getting the maximum 'label' rating:
https://uploadvr.com/vertigo-2-review/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

explosivo posted:

I've been playing VTOL with my friend the past few nights and that new trainer jet (which only one person has to own for both to fly in) really is a good time. The instructor seat in the back has a controls lock so you can't move the thrust/joystick but can still operate the buttons on them so my friend in the front seat is controlling the plane while I'm in the back doing the targeting and firing the weapons. It really is a good way to learn either the flying or the targeting in a less stressful environment because you only have to focus on one of them. I can see this driving sales for the other DLC's or at least getting more people to play the game who were in situations like mine where one friend was maybe hesitant to try but owned it from a bundle or something. The biggest issue I have right now is that it's not always easy to tell which missions you've downloaded are able to use the new jet so quite often we'll get in the lobby which takes you through a couple loading screens before getting to see the computer screen that shows which jets are available and the T-55 is not one of them. The MP lobby system in general needs a bit of work but they did just add room codes which at least makes it easy to find your friend's game without having to sort through all the private lobbies.

The game is just so awesome; even if you're not a hardcore flight sim person it's not too hard to learn how to take off and fly around which feels fun on it's own because of all the toggles and switches and the feedback you get from all of it. People begging for HOTAS support are clearly missing the whole thrust (heh) of the game in that it has to all be VR because you can't possibly bind all the keys you need to a single joystick and it all works very well in VR. I haven't even gotten that deep into the actual missions yet and barely understand how to use most of the munitions but god drat it's satisfying.

I'm reminded that I did get this game in a bundle but I need to check it out, I think I kind of figured I didn't have a HOTAS/joystick therefore :effort: so thanks for this perspective showing differently :buddy:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Wow Vertigo 2 looks pretty neat. Is it worth going and playing Vertigo 1 first?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I very much enjoyed Vertigo 1 but no, I would say hop into Vertigo 2. I haven't played 2 yet but Vertigo 1 is charming and a fun time but it doesn't look nearly as interesting as 2 tbh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
finally got my new wifi access point
ALVR-nightly just straight up working out of the box despite me being on debian and VR games running fine through proton sure was a nice surprise though i am on a 6900xt, it's a quite bit overkill for most games
ironically, alyx, of all the things, won't start. not natively not through proton, throws some mongoose timeout error while playing the ambient sounds for the main menu. ran fine first time i ran it, but i quit after 30s cause i had something else to do, just wanted to see if it works. came back 2h later and it's dead
tried a few workarounds from their valve's github and nothing works

also, anyone know how i tell steam to gently caress off with the room setup warning? since i'm using alvr my roomspace isn't setup through steam and it won't let me run games through vr, gotta click play on desktop lol

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
new vr cyberpunk dropping soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MnxT3KSMFw

edit: looks like this has been half-baked for a while now. You can get it early access if you buy it here but I dunno if now's the time to throw down money
https://anticleric.itch.io/low-fi

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 30, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Consortium VR just came out for quest with a steam version coming at some point. I haven't played much of the vr version but I played the flat version a bunch of times.

It's an immersive sim based in Warren Spector's idea of a one city block rpg. The whole game takes place in a fancy airplane where you control an officer in the equivalent of a futuristic UN. The premise is that you, as in the player character, are using a hyperdimensional satellite to control the officer in another dimension. So you don't really know what their life was like before or even what you have to do. You just get thrown into the deep end and have to figure things out yourself. Also the several dozen npc's are highly reactive so they'll notice if you act like the typical rpg player and ask about basic poo poo. Then you get thrown into a murder mystery pretty quickly.

Anyway, it's pretty good. The voice acting has a lot of character, there's a lot of replayability and the graphics are fairly simple but that works fine in vr. It was buggy on release and combat is kinda bad but I think most of that was fixed. I haven't played the vr version much but it seems fine? It's got the standard movement options and didn't have any glaring issues that I saw. One gimmick is that you can choose your conversation options by actually speaking it out loud but there's a limit to how goofy I want to be when playing vr.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Tagichatn posted:

Consortium VR just came out for quest with a steam version coming at some point. I haven't played much of the vr version but I played the flat version a bunch of times.

It's an immersive sim based in Warren Spector's idea of a one city block rpg. The whole game takes place in a fancy airplane where you control an officer in the equivalent of a futuristic UN. The premise is that you, as in the player character, are using a hyperdimensional satellite to control the officer in another dimension. So you don't really know what their life was like before or even what you have to do. You just get thrown into the deep end and have to figure things out yourself. Also the several dozen npc's are highly reactive so they'll notice if you act like the typical rpg player and ask about basic poo poo. Then you get thrown into a murder mystery pretty quickly.

Anyway, it's pretty good. The voice acting has a lot of character, there's a lot of replayability and the graphics are fairly simple but that works fine in vr. It was buggy on release and combat is kinda bad but I think most of that was fixed. I haven't played the vr version much but it seems fine? It's got the standard movement options and didn't have any glaring issues that I saw. One gimmick is that you can choose your conversation options by actually speaking it out loud but there's a limit to how goofy I want to be when playing vr.

this is actually an ancient steam source engine game with a sequel that like, never properly materialized
https://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/CONSORTIUM/

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Iamgoofball posted:

this is actually an ancient steam source engine game with a sequel that like, never properly materialized
https://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/CONSORTIUM/

They claim they'll be returning to development on the sequel now that the VR version is out, so we'll see how things go.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What is next up on the horizon for VR headsets? I know Sony just released their VR2 headset. Rumor mill seems to be Apple revealing their headset in June, and Meta talking about their future sometime after that?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Apple's devkit headset at WWDC possibly if they don't end up scrapping it with the market disintegrating, Quest 3 sometime next year if Facebook don't end up scrapping it with the market disintegrating and them desperately trying to get in on the AI bubble instead.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Valve's Deckard's been on the radar for a while now, with the latest SteamVR update hinting at it having eye tracking.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The apple headset is already in manufacturing, I don't think it's getting scrapped at this point

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like Apple is always pretty confident in the market for their products long before they reach production anyway. If they didn't think they could sell a billion of them, they wouldn't make them.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

They claim they'll be returning to development on the sequel now that the VR version is out, so we'll see how things go.

That's good, I was bummed out they never finished it. Hopefully they can finish the full trilogy too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vertigo 2 launch trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_Yrw0Zang

Meanwhile, Meta seems to have repaired my headset... except motherfucking UPS says it has delivered already and I don't have poo poo! In the details, it says it was delivered to a strange name, I googled it up and it's a travel agency?! WTF

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 30, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
A couple friends getting into VR got me to take my Vive out of storage. The resolution on this thing is really piss-poor compared to the Quest and Quest 2 my friends have.

Still I bought a used pair of Index controllers to at least have something better than the old chunky wands with trackpads that don't click right any more. Was that a bad financial decision? I have just the two 1.0 lighthouses, is it worth putting a few hundred down on an Index HMD for the added resolution?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably better to spend that same money on a Q2 unless you’re unwilling to play with Facebook (which is a perfectly good stance to have.)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

parasyte posted:

A couple friends getting into VR got me to take my Vive out of storage. The resolution on this thing is really piss-poor compared to the Quest and Quest 2 my friends have.

Still I bought a used pair of Index controllers to at least have something better than the old chunky wands with trackpads that don't click right any more. Was that a bad financial decision? I have just the two 1.0 lighthouses, is it worth putting a few hundred down on an Index HMD for the added resolution?

It will be soon a 4 years old headset. So I will say 'only if you get one for really cheap'.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Vertigo 2 is here. Let’s go.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

Probably better to spend that same money on a Q2 unless you’re unwilling to play with Facebook (which is a perfectly good stance to have.)

I hate disagreeing here.

But like. Dude has lighthouses and index controllers already. A used dex isn't going to break the bank at this point and they are already tied into the ecosystem.

Ya the quest is fine but if PCVR is the only goal a Pico 4 is a better deal/headset for that anyways. So tbqh, the quest is out for anyone who isn't just a standard VR user. (imo)

parasyte posted:

Since you have most of the hardware anyways. Yeah. I hate to say it, but the index is probably the move if you can get one for questish prices or less.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah. I hate to say it, but the index is probably the move if you can get one for questish prices or less.

Sure, it all depends on how much the HMD can be had for. But like, if the cost of that HMD is even close to a full Q2 set, and Facebook itself isn't an issue, the existing hardware buy-in is irrelevant, so I feel like the Quest would be the better choice between the two? Especially if the main driving factor is resolution, which was sort of stated, at which the quest wins. Throw in wireless PCVR, optional standalone stuff, and frankly a more lively feature growth. Granted, I have zero idea of what a used Index a la carte HMD runs. My entire take rests on the two being roughly comparable investments.

For disclosure: I have an Index, my wife has a Quest 2. At this point, there's a strong chance I'll drop the Index when the Quest 3 comes out, if it actually turns out as advertised.

EbolaIvory posted:

if you can get one for questish prices or less.
That right there is where it falls apart by my reckoning. If buying older, lower-res piecemeal hardware costs the same as a full, relatively modern brand new system that can do all what the other can and more, why would the Index win?

Def agree that if PCVR is the only goal, there are some better options now, if they're available to this person for an acceptable price.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 30, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

Sure, it all depends on how much the HMD can be had for. But like, if the cost of that HMD is even close to a full Q2 set, and Facebook itself isn't an issue, the existing hardware buy-in is irrelevant, so I feel like the Quest would be the better choice between the two? Especially if the main driving factor is resolution, which was sort of stated, at which the quest wins. Throw in wireless PCVR, optional standalone stuff, and frankly a more lively feature growth. Granted, I have zero idea of what a used Index a la carte HMD runs. My entire take rests on the two being roughly comparable investments.

For disclosure: I have an Index, my wife has a Quest 2. At this point, there's a strong chance I'll drop the Index when the Quest 3 comes out, if it actually turns out as advertised.

That right there is where it falls apart by my reckoning. If buying older, lower-res piecemeal hardware costs the same as a full, relatively modern brand new system that can do all what the other can and more, why would the Index win?

Def agree that if PCVR is the only goal, there are some better options now, if they're available to this person for an acceptable price.

I hate even saying "buy the index".

But as someone who has a dozen headsets, and still uses my index for specific things over my pico and quest?

Yeah. Gonna just recommend it based on what they've said and already own.

With that said. I'm kind of an HTC fanboy so I might even recommend a cheap/used vive pro 2 instead. I'm actually about to break out my old vive pro and ditch my index for my steamvr use. I'm debating taking the dive in resolution to be comfortable again. Yes, The index isn't comfortable for me beyond about 30 min.

Theres also some things to consider buying a quest when it comes to PCVR. Not everyone has the same great experiences and as someone whos had a steamvr headset for basically ever, the quest 2 AND Pico simply are not low enough latency for me to play high end beat saber. I'm sure others have similar issues with other games since setup can vary so much between users. VD, Desktop app, Whatever.

So like, if we're going to get someone to all nerd up with VD and all that poo poo, lets just recommend the pico 4 instead of the quest if we're doing the stand alone. Then its actually a "ok this really is an upgrade" from the index where as the quest 2 is IMO not an upgrade. lovely IPD, meh FOV, hell the only thing I really like about my quest is the controllers .

idk the landscape right now is weird. If I was in this situation, id probably pickup a vive pro 2 and if I really wanted wireless id slap my wireless on it and take the small resolution dip. They've already got controllers so f it.

I mean I guess they could ball out and get an aero. XD

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I would definitely prefer not to buy Meta if at all possible. The hardware is nice but I'm primarily here for PCVR and it's somewhat less than ideal for that.

Pico 4 would be an option but it seems somewhat up in the air if it even gets released in the US, which means warranty support is roughly the same as going with any used HMD at which point I'd probably rather pay less.

Vive Pro 2 sounds like an option but it looks like it'd definitely cost more than a used Index, really at that point a Pico 4 sounds more appealing. You're going to end up with me talking myself into a Pico 4.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

parasyte posted:

I would definitely prefer not to buy Meta if at all possible. The hardware is nice but I'm primarily here for PCVR and it's somewhat less than ideal for that.

Pico 4 would be an option but it seems somewhat up in the air if it even gets released in the US, which means warranty support is roughly the same as going with any used HMD at which point I'd probably rather pay less.

Vive Pro 2 sounds like an option but it looks like it'd definitely cost more than a used Index, really at that point a Pico 4 sounds more appealing. You're going to end up with me talking myself into a Pico 4.

So I just rambled about the vive stuff a min ago so its fresh. Good timing.

If you have a grand to drop, and don't mind loving around reselling things. IMO the best setup right now for about 1000 bucks is buy an index kit, flip the headset for cash, get a vive pro 2 headset stand alone.

HTC makes better equipment that takes far more of a beating than anything valve will ever make. The only thing you "lose" is audio quality and the mic. 2 things that can be upgraded anyways, and to me being able to properly clean my headset without waterproofing it, and having a better balance of weight means more than the mic and audio.

I hate the index because it front loads the weight, and people say just get a counter weight, its not the point. I get a headache anymore after about 30 min to an hour. My vive pro? I can wear it all drat day. Because it actually balances the weight properly due to how the strap is made.

Also, the whole waterproof thing. The rear pad on the index isn't "removable". So you sweat into it, it gets gross. No amount of regular alcohol washing will keep it clean. So you have to trash bag the front of the loving thing and wash it in the sink. The HTC stuff? Every single piece of foam or thing you sweat into is at a minimum removable to be cleaned.

HTC also makes bomb proof equipment. I pulled my vive pro out of the bottom of a giant tub filled with random VR tech poo poo. Dusted it off, zero scratches on the lenses and it works like new. Had that of been my index? Ha. Jokes.

Yeah, the index is technically a better headset on paper but after living with it for as long as I have. If I was "sticking to lighthouses". I'd get a vive pro 2 and upgrade the audio/mic later if it bothered me.

WIth that said. The pico warranty stuff. Its not bad apparently. Slightly faster than legacy HTC, so couple days between replies and potentially a bit of time shipping. Also depends where you get it. Theres some on walmart.com or w/e sold by some vendor who may have a decent return policy. I have no first hand experience since we get our poo poo from them direct. Sorry :(

All said and done. I'd buy a pico if I was buying a headset today. But only because I'm aware I need an android phone, and have to sideload some poo poo to buy apps.

EDIT: Just realized I repeated some of this but w/e. Blame my adhd.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Wait, you need an Android phone for the Pico?