Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

orange juche posted:

Quest 2 per-eye resolution is 1832x1920. Quest 3 being a downgrade on pixels per eye would be a pretty poo poo look so I think they're probably looking to boost their per-eye resolution.

Going from current resolution to 2k x 2k doesn't sound like much, but would be an immediate ~12% bump in overall pixel resolution . Going to 3k x 3k would be 44% bump

Although as pointed out the TDP envelope is pretty tight already, going higher than 2k is already stressing the GPU and doesn't allow for much from the CPU to do any complex tasks like handle basic AI tasks like pathing and decision making for many NPC characters etc

Low resolution cripples VR for tasks like reading text smaller than a street sign though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quest 3 is being rumored at around 2000x2200.

a bit of PC VR after so many quest news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-OlIIXZ3zk
June 8th.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, the rumor about the Quest Pro having the depth camera removed last-minute because it let you see through clothes, was actually true:

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1664742918727278592

Boz confirms that was the case, and they added an infrared-blocking mirrored film of some sort to the Q3's depth camera to prevent that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zero VGS posted:

Holy poo poo, the rumor about the Quest Pro having the depth camera removed last-minute because it let you see through clothes, was actually true:

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1664742918727278592

Boz confirms that was the case, and they added an infrared-blocking mirrored film of some sort to the Q3's depth camera to prevent that.

That's just like the infrared camcorders back in the day, circa early to mid 2000s

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

I can't imagine quest dropping PC link, simply because both internal meta developers and external devs need it to program the drat thing

That and developers are still using SteamVR and quests to like, make content for the meta store pages, meta included.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

How's Golf Plus and does it ever go on sale?

I loved Everybody's Golf on PSVR minus the caddies. Felt that it was very responsive and represented your motion quite well. Can anyone recommend it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beastie posted:

How's Golf Plus and does it ever go on sale?

I loved Everybody's Golf on PSVR minus the caddies. Felt that it was very responsive and represented your motion quite well. Can anyone recommend it?

If you want realistic golf its the go to.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Wait they accidentally invented working x-ray glasses? I’m pretty sure I ordered a pair of those back in the day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/MultiCallum/status/1664980972855517184
https://twitter.com/MultiCallum/status/1665019584649330690

Don't factory-reset your Quest 1 anytime soon.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

See I don't understand why you're so worried about sideloading going away when they'll just randomly brick the whole headset instead

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

See I don't understand why you're so worried about sideloading going away when they'll just randomly brick the whole headset instead

Yeah this is loving wild. I'll be shocked if this somehow isn't reversed. Not that I have some faith in meta as a whole but like, the backlash or w/e.

I get sunsetting the hardware but making it useless, oof.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Carmack is gone, all that's left are a bunch of 22 and 23 year old kids in the VR department with not even disregard for old models, simply no knowledge of the concept of support for legacy hardware

I can't imagine anyone with any tenure made the transfer from the revenue division to the hemorrhaging money division

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Quest 3 is being rumored at around 2000x2200.

a bit of PC VR after so many quest news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-OlIIXZ3zk
June 8th.

Yessssss, I was looking forward to this and was worried it might be cancelled after it was scheduled for Steamfest a couple of years ago and suddenly dropped out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Today is when , in theory, Apple will present their device.

I'm sure it will make the Quest Pro/3 look bad. Honestly, the Quest 3 is pretty conservative in its design, I'm still waiting for Meta to make a new design with notably more fov (it's like they gave up in that area) and with battery and SoC in a puck. It seems the ideal solution to me, it would give a bigger battery, and a slightly better cooling system on the chip, improving performance too, and all that would be weight out of the head.

For Apple, I think in their next headset, in a pair of years, they will make a model that connects to whatever new model of iPhone Max they have.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 5, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm actually pretty hopeful that there's something really cool and new, in directions we haven't really seen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another aspect where the Quest 3 will fall short against Apple is the computing power. Even forgetting the comparison against Apple, I have the feeling 2x vs Quest 2 isn't that big of a jump (given the price is also increasing). I'm comparing it on my mind to generational jumps in consoles to say that, mind you. In that market, the normal thing is to have a 4x-to-6x times improvement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Quest 2/3 are mostly limited by cooling, they can throw an M2 Pro in there or whatever but without a giant 13"+ aluminum case to dissipate heat that cooling fan is going to have to work overtime to provide any kind of sustained performance, and apple isn't known for using noisy fans

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Quest 2/3 are mostly limited by cooling, they can throw an M2 Pro in there or whatever but without a giant 13"+ aluminum case to dissipate heat that cooling fan is going to have to work overtime to provide any kind of sustained performance, and apple isn't known for using noisy fans

Quite false; Apple uses noisy fans to try and sell more products to their friends all the time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quite false; Apple uses noisy fans to try and sell more products to their friends all the time.

Damnit, I needed 10+ second to get it...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Let's make a poll...
"Apple MR device price poll! Select the price that will be closer to the real price"

https://strawpoll.com/polls/YVyPmd763nN

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I’m hoping that the Apple headset will enable the sort of “virtual floating monitor” workflow that I attempted to get going with the Nreal Air’s

If they do, and have it all in one unit, I’ll pay a lot of money for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My bet is the new headset and the new iphone release at the same time (this fall), because they have the same internals

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm curious about the strap design and retention Apple went with and whether it's aimed at appealing to non enthusiasts. Like, people in general don't like putting things on their heads, and if they must then they don't want a top strap. I understand why Bigscreen's HMD originally didn't have one: only VR enthusiasts accept it. No one else wants something touching/ messing up their hair.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Let's make a poll...
"Apple MR device price poll! Select the price that will be closer to the real price"

https://strawpoll.com/polls/YVyPmd763nN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkq9Rgoj8E

In one hour

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Come on, Apple! Announce something innovative and inspiring, and alter the stagnating AR/VR industry. I can overlook a crazy price for something truly awesome, especially for a Gen 1 product.

I hope this is the first Apple product I feel compelled to buy since the iPod.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just hope the announcement is more interesting than the Quest Pro one back in October. All I remember from that is Zuck hopping around to show he had legs, and some awful metaverse poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The good news is Apple finally stopped introducing new products with lightning connectors, so this will almost certainly have USB-C

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hadlock posted:

The good news is Apple finally stopped introducing new products with lightning connectors, so this will almost certainly have USB-C

:hai:

It has started!

And I haven't seen a headset yet. :mad:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lightning is trash technology gated by weird licensing bullshit. Next year (maybe this year?) they'll drop it on the iPhone due to Euro cable restrictions (creates twice as much cable trash) this year and my wife and I can stop having two cars and two charging technologies in the car and house. Her stupid phone is the only device in the house that uses dumb lightning cables

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hadlock posted:

Lightning is trash technology gated by weird licensing bullshit. Next year (maybe this year?) they'll drop it on the iPhone due to Euro cable restrictions (creates twice as much cable trash) this year and my wife and I can stop having two cars and two charging technologies in the car and house. Her stupid phone is the only device in the house that uses dumb lightning cables

I went straight from Windows Mobile to Android. I don't think I've ever plugged in a Lightning cable in my life. But it's awesome they are dropping it and finally moving to USB-C

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

I'm curious to see what Apple comes up with

1) everyone seems to be using ARM these days
2) unity/unreal are 80% of the market these days, they support ARM

So long as Apple's product has an ARM chip in it, and has platinum support for unity/unreal, I can't see it being any worse than the Quest 2, and probably supporting 90% of the same games. Doesn't really matter if apple has poo poo experience with games, ARM and unity/unreal support solves 95% of those problems, they just need to not gently caress up inside out tracking which nobody seems to really struggle with anymore

It might be worth pointing out that Apple uses Metal for their GPUs. Their OpenGL stuff has long since been deprecated and Vulkan is handled by a 3rd party wrapper library that is often buggy and incomplete. Metal is also lacking a bunch of stuff that Vulkan can do. Most games are UE / Unity, so compiling for Metal will go a long way, but that is not foolproof and there will be issues that need to be worked around.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hughmoris posted:

:hai:

It has started!

And I haven't seen a headset yet. :mad:

Yeah but you can give two thumbs up on zoom and get fireworks in the background

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah but you can give two thumbs up on zoom and get fireworks in the background

I will self-immolate if we don't get something exciting in the next hour.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hughmoris posted:

I don't think that gesture will be recognized yet.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bad Munki posted:

I don't think that gesture will be recognized yet.

The calorie burn will probably count towards my workout

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Take a drink every time they show you a way to check the weather.

Wow! Weather!!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hughmoris posted:

RIP

Oh, one more thing. Here ya go buddy, set the matches down.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

loving finally.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tether spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bad Munki posted: