Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If your networking equipment isn't ancient and your nearest wireless antenna has a good signal to wherever your headset is playing it should really just work consistently without any fiddle. People often try complicated setups with repeaters, mesh stuff, etc when a pretty straight forward network setup of desktop pc wired to a switch and wifi access point also wired to that switch will max your connection quality nbd. The only problem I can imagine is if you had a bunch of devices gobbling data from the same AP when you are playing VR I guess it might saturate but that'd have to be heavy usage and not some people phone browsing or iot devices checking in.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there a good solution for improving Airlink if the PC isn't wired? Sometimes it runs fine and other times it doesn't.

You've already hit upon the problem of everything that isn't a wire: it's inconsistent. Some people were born under the correct sign and their house sits on the right leyline for a mesh/whatever to work perfectly but for others it'll be constant problems. Even if you are a renter there are ways to make getting a wired connection between rooms easier than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My experience is that the network doesn't have to be anywhere near saturated to start degrading in streaming quality. As you say, it's not consistent. Depending on your ability to notice jank, the phase of the moon, the exact chipset your router uses, how often your phone checks for email, etc. you may not need a dedicated router, and it's certainly worth trying without one, but it's the only setup I can point to and say "this will almost definitely just work".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

You've already hit upon the problem of everything that isn't a wire: it's inconsistent. Some people were born under the correct sign and their house sits on the right leyline for a mesh/whatever to work perfectly but for others it'll be constant problems. Even if you are a renter there are ways to make getting a wired connection between rooms easier than you might think.

What are the best options here? I own my flat but there are solid brick walls between my router and PC so I'm not sure that running a cable through the walls would even be an option.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Sure until I got to the stage selects, and spent a lot of dumb time trying to open and walk through a door to get to the stage... when you actually have to use the controller like a laser-pointer on the chalkboard-looking menu to the right of said door to actually enter the stage.

I genuinely have no idea whether that's inconsistent UI design or some kind of joke, because the Bonelabs/works crew definitely think differently than I do.

Using buttons/pointers/whatever instead of being able to just interact with things is a recurring thing with a ton of VR devs. Even HL: Alyx has you switching weapons with buttons instead of just having them on a belt or something.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Alyx's weapon switching is probably a relic of the past but IMO was great. Could be done in any position, used only big gross actions/movements that could be reliably done under stress, strong visual feedback, didn't need you to take your eyes off the action, etc. It maybe never caught on but it was really well conceived.

Now I do like me some holster mechanics, but not so much the accidentally dropping gun on the ground instead of into my holster, fumbling a draw, etc that comes with the territory. All of which happens with
Bonelabs' "everything is physical" angle.

Which is fine (and occasionally hilarious if nothing else) but also goes to show how jarring it is UI-wise when Bonelab suddenly doesn't do things that way for no apparent reason.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Now I do like me some holster mechanics, but not so much the accidentally dropping gun on the ground instead of into my holster, fumbling a draw, etc that comes with the territory. All of which happens with

holstering has been done well in many games without those problems, bonelabs/works is just jank all the way down

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

The Grey posted:

I've been out of the VR scene for a while and am thinking of getting back into it.

I have an Oculus Rift CV1 but somehow the audio went out on one of the headphones. A few questions that hopefully someone can help with...

- Is there a reasonable non-Quest VR headset that will work with the Oculus and Steam stores?
- What are the chances Sony will make their VR2 headset compatible with PC?

I'm trying to avoid giving Meta money, but if Quest is really the best option:
- What's the quality like if I play Oculus/Steam games from my PC? Will it be a significant improvement over my CV1? Is the wireless from PC the same quality as wired from PC?
- How much better is the Rift 3 over Rift 2?

I'm not huge on VR but I went from a Rift CV1 to a Quest 3. Yeah, you won't regret it. Controllers & sound are a sidegrade and the strap sucks, but the display is massively better and wireless changes everything. Streaming from PC depends on wifi quality but is generally good enough that you won't go back to wired. I have no love for Meta, but it really is the best headset for the money.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

The Eyes Have It posted:

Alyx's weapon switching is probably a relic of the past but IMO was great. Could be done in any position, used only big gross actions/movements that could be reliably done under stress, strong visual feedback, didn't need you to take your eyes off the action, etc. It maybe never caught on but it was really well conceived.

Which is fine (and occasionally hilarious if nothing else) but also goes to show how jarring it is UI-wise when Bonelab suddenly doesn't do things that way for no apparent reason.

holstering was way better in boneworks for some reason

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What are the best options here? I own my flat but there are solid brick walls between my router and PC so I'm not sure that running a cable through the walls would even be an option.

The ugly option is running a long rear end cable under doors along the floorboards. Get some of those nails with a little plastic clip and you can tuck them pretty tight. If you have an attic you could also run it up to the attic and then drop it into the other room. If previously someone has ran coaxial cables you can also get converters to turn that into your ethernet run. There is also the option of Ethernet Over Power but that's a significant dice roll on whether it works at all so buy the equipment from a place with returns. With such absurdly solid walls maybe someone in the past ran some conduit for power or other line and use that for your run but that's being very optimistic about previous owners being helpful. Trying to punch a hole through brick does sound pretty nasty.

For long rear end ethernet cables you can buy a big spindle and then do your own termination. Some people get a little intimidated by wiring ethernet plugs, but punch down tool makes it really easy if you want to go that route.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik-NgJDu-B0
There are a pair of building sim games like this on Steam, it seems a good ideal to translate the concept to VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_j9wzmNHjk
This one I'm less convinced, although I'm biased because I'm super bad a rhythm games.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a level skip command for Alyx?

Last time I played I got to the point where you are trying to get through the Barnacle Alley with all the explosives and I just cannot. I loving hated those things in Half Life 1 and 2!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it cant be overstated how gross alyx is, because of the visuals and also the source engine's unparalleled vr sound controller. it really makes you realize that xen is really just a huge gross slime mold ecosystem

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

AndrewP posted:

Is there a level skip command for Alyx?

Last time I played I got to the point where you are trying to get through the Barnacle Alley with all the explosives and I just cannot. I loving hated those things in Half Life 1 and 2!

Put on a hard hat

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

Put on a hard hat

only if I can just keep adding them like this guy

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

When playing alyx I ended up skipping the beer(?) factory level. Absolutely loathe invincible enemy sneak levels, and in VR? gently caress right off

I ended up downloading a full save I think, which sucked since upgrades etc. were all different.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jeff is literally the best level in the game, an absolutely fantastic piece of game design.

I guess I can understand not liking that style of gameplay, but you really did miss out on something great.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not sure I could deal with Jeff, I'm insanely squeamish when it comes to VR scares. But I would at least like to try it. Maybe I'll get my buddy to navigate the Barnacle Hell Level for me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I'm not sure I could deal with Jeff, I'm insanely squeamish when it comes to VR scares. But I would at least like to try it. Maybe I'll get my buddy to navigate the Barnacle Hell Level for me.

i got to jeff and put alyx down for weeks but jeff becomes much less scary once you figure out how to manipulate him

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The best bit is when you get to the room with the wheel in the middle. You eventually work out how to trap Jeff in a side room, then you have all the time in the world to work through the puzzles.

The power is out, so you use your tool to trace the power lines, gradually fixing them all up, and then you keep tracing it along the wall and into the room... where you just locked up Jeff...

The sinking feeling as you realise that you have to re-open the door that he is right in front of and furiously attempting to break down has stuck with me forever.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My favorite part of the Jeff chapter (and maybe my favorite part of any VR game) is the little moment when you're hunting for batteries and you open a cabinet to grab one, but the shelf is tilted and a wine bottle starts slowly rolling down and you have to grab it before it smashes and alerts Jeff. I don't know that I've ever seen a more organic/natural set piece than that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thoom posted:

My favorite part of the Jeff chapter (and maybe my favorite part of any VR game) is the little moment when you're hunting for batteries and you open a cabinet to grab one, but the shelf is tilted and a wine bottle starts slowly rolling down and you have to grab it before it smashes and alerts Jeff. I don't know that I've ever seen a more organic/natural set piece than that.

its a testament that i know exactly what youre talking about and can mentally recall the moment of panic right before catching the bottle

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thoom posted:

It's almost as if they should have focused on this kind of interaction for the majority of the game instead of being all about boring gunplay and force pulling >:(

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just get a second (cheap) router and plug it directly into your PC. Then connect the Quest to that WiFi network and you're good. I just moved and that's what I've been doing until I get around to running Ethernet and I haven't had any problems.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Thoom posted:

When I got to that cabinet I knew those mfers were going to try that and already had my hand out to grab the bottle before I opened the door. I was proud of my foresight when the bottle started rolling out.

Also does anyone know how I can map the touch controllers to keyboard and mouse buttons to play games on Steam? I thought I could do it through Steam but it has a completely different and less useful control mapping interface for VR it seems.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just get a second (cheap) router and plug it directly into your PC. Then connect the Quest to that WiFi network and you're good. I just moved and that's what I've been doing until I get around to running Ethernet and I haven't had any problems.

I have a Google mesh system that's probably not ideal for wifi VRing, but I do have a spare router around here. My PC is hardwired - so I can hook the spare router up to my hardwired PC and connect my Quest to my PC with that?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Al! posted:

its a testament that i know exactly what youre talking about and can mentally recall the moment of panic right before catching the bottle

Same! Really stuck with me. Along with the aforementioned 'merrily tracing the wire oh poo poo it goes where?!'

I don't like sneaking normally but the whole Jeff level is a masterpiece

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

AndrewP posted:

I have a Google mesh system that's probably not ideal for wifi VRing, but I do have a spare router around here. My PC is hardwired - so I can hook the spare router up to my hardwired PC and connect my Quest to my PC with that?

My PC was connected to a router with ethernet, so I just put the Quest router between them as an access point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Rodney posted:

When playing alyx I ended up skipping the beer(?) factory level. Absolutely loathe invincible enemy sneak levels, and in VR? gently caress right off

I ended up downloading a full save I think, which sucked since upgrades etc. were all different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRYAeKXhi7I

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

AndrewP posted:

Take the wire that is going to your PC and plug it into the spare router, and then plug your PC into that. Then set the router to AP mode.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Stop making invincible enemy level sounds cool :mad:

... I'm gonna replay alyx soonish with the quest 3, maybe this time I'll not wuss out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son of Rodney posted:

Stop making invincible enemy level sounds cool :mad:

... I'm gonna replay alyx soonish with the quest 3, maybe this time I'll not wuss out.

Jeff's not quite as daunting a level as it sounds. It's designed mostly in your favour once you get the gist of what the level's wanting you to do and where to go.

The best part is after you lock Jeff into a room, go do some puzzles, and then realize as you're tracing the paths that the last one is in the room you locked Jeff in so now you have to let him out...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I actually ended up snagging one of these. Does anyone know if I can use my own referral link when I register it to get the referral 30 bucks or do I need to use a separate person's link?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I actually ended up snagging one of these. Does anyone know if I can use my own referral link when I register it to get the referral 30 bucks or do I need to use a separate person's link?

both people get $30 for the referral link but you can't refer yourself to get $60

you can use mine:
https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/Tip

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just so I'm getting this right then - my PC would still be connected to my primary WiFi for internet, but it would also be able to run a simultaneous connection to this other router via ethernet, then I just set the new router to AP mode and connect the Quest to that new AP, is that basically the gist of it?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
In addition to wired to router talk, what's the reason Virtual Desktop and AirLink needs to be wired to not get lag spikes/slower speeds? Wireless PC to router with very few other connections downloading and uploading little, vs wireless PC to wired router wirelessly connecting to wired router? Unless I've misunderstood something *sniff sob* shouldn't it be nearly 500mbps on either method of wireless VR?

Going to finish Alyx too after being reminded about vodka and Jeff.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Desdinova posted:

In addition to wired to router talk, what's the reason Virtual Desktop and AirLink needs to be wired to not get lag spikes/slower speeds? Wireless PC to router with very few other connections downloading and uploading little, vs wireless PC to wired router wirelessly connecting to wired router? Unless I've misunderstood something *sniff sob* shouldn't it be nearly 500mbps on either method of wireless VR?

Because the important thing apart from the bandwidth is the latency, and wired has less latency than wireless.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I got tired of lag spikes on my wireless and got a “Puppis” USB router specifically made for VR(worst product name I’ve ever heard of) and it’s been great with ~40-45ms of latency depending on the game, compared to ~55+ lag spikes on the main router.

Any wifi 6 router wired directly to the PC rather than shared with a bunch of other devices should work, though. It’s basically the router not being able to keep up with a bunch of other devices wanting data at the same time that causes the lag spikes, as far as I know.

I also got much, much better through-house internet performance with MoCA than with powerline or wifi, though I don’t typically use that for VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Desdinova posted:

A wired connection has two devices in its collision domain, the computer and the router, and little interference. A wireless connection has several devices in its collision domain plus lots of interference and attenuation. You can get 500mbps, sure, but that's in ideal conditions. If your headset transmits and then your PC transmits, these collide and both sides stop transmitting and wait a bit and try again. While waiting for that, you get lag.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My wife is giving Supernatural a shot. She really enjoys the music and scenery and variety.

I’m glad this thread warned me about the coaches so I could, in turn, warn her. She says they’re so over the top with the constant platitudes to the point of absurdity. “They’re just constantly yelling quotes from tampons at me.“ I laughed pretty hard at that take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Bad Munki posted:

My wife is giving Supernatural a shot. She really enjoys the music and scenery and variety.

I’m glad this thread warned me about the coaches so I could, in turn, warn her. She says they’re so over the top with the constant platitudes to the point of absurdity. “They’re just constantly yelling quotes from tampons at me.“ I laughed pretty hard at that take.

100% accurate description.

If they bother her there is a "focus mode" you can turn on in the options that'll completely mute them.