Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Turin Turambar posted:

It happened me 2 or 3 times already (in the last two months) that the proximity sensor of the Quest glitches out and while I left it with a 80% charge in the morning, by the evening it won't start because it's a 0% battery. Well, I don't have direct evidence of what the problem is, I'm imagining is the awake/proximity sensor system the one glitching out and turning it on for hours without me noticing.

Am I the only one?

My theory is that happens when the Quest auto-updates - it updates and then stays on, draining the battery. After turning off auto-wake I still had the battery drain out, even though I powered off the Quest.

El Grillo posted:

Rec Room is exactly the sort of game where you need vaguely competent players to go do the Quests with, because if you try doing them with randoms you almost invariably die horribly.

Yes, it is the randoms that are causing us to all die horribly, not me.

i'm sorry random teammates i did my best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Everyone is a 'random' to most other people!
In reality, I've learned after a few years here that when goons say 'randoms' they mean 'non-hardcore pubbies unlike us'. :smug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Everyone is a 'random' to most other people!
In reality, I've learned after a few years here that when goons say 'randoms' they mean 'non-hardcore pubbies unlike us'. :smug:

Not really, the average random player tends to be pretty bad in most games. And even if they're not especially good at a game, most goons joining to play together are far more likely to be capable of understanding basic concepts like teamwork, communication, and not spouting racial slurs every third sentence.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Ever since GTA Online I have a hard time playing with random people online.
Also, for older games randoms means people way too good to play with.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i play old games online pretty much exclusively with friends for that reason. i still like quake 2/3, but i'm a dirty casual and the only people still playing are bitter vets who have been playing for over 20 years straight and lmao playing against those

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awwh drat that sounds so cool. I wish I had people to play UT99/2004 with.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Downloaded Q1 VR with HD textures, that was a blast from the past.

Someone on reddit posted a link to the Q3 maps that can be played in the Q1 engine, seems like it's the closest we've got to Q3 VR at the moment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/axm9vs/really_no_quake_3_vr_yet/

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
If I have the original Rift with 3 sensors and a very beefy PC is there much point buying a Quest? The wireless is obviously the big draw...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

yergacheffe posted:

Gorn goes in the other direction and makes your weapons have no weight so motion is always 1:1, but then you get the problem of combat devolving into waggling furiously because you're swinging a weapon faster than humanly possible. This wasn't so great for me either.

I last played Gorn over a year ago so maybe they’ve changed something, but the weapons did simulate weight but having a sort of “rubbery” cartoony stretching thing while swinging them so while the handle is 1:1 with your hand the other end of the weapon had to catch up. Did they change that?

I’m sure there’s a more succinct way to describe the effect I just mentioned but can’t come up with the word for it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Disappointing Pie posted:

If I have the original Rift with 3 sensors and a very beefy PC is there much point buying a Quest? The wireless is obviously the big draw...

I upgraded out of necessity when a friend dropped mine and killed one of the LCDs. The display feels crisper and wireless is nice. Just got my Link compatible cable last night and it works like a charm. Setup and calibration is a lot simpler. And the stand alone games do a lot with an old cellphone processor, but the difference between say, Vader Immortal is noticable between platforms. (Frex There's a really cool shader effect where a shrouded ghost guy has a skull under barely translucent shroud you can see if you get close that's a lot less neat looking on Quest.)

All that said, if you're mainly using it for PC stuff it's very much an incremental upgrade IMO that I wouldn't push too much if your CV1 is still working fine.

Biggest downside for me is the new Touch controller design is a little more awkward. I get why they needed to change it for inside out tracking, but I noticed it when I was able to load up Onward again after a long time not playing and the on-top tracking rings made racking a pistol slide really awkward.

E: Also depending on your environment and audiophile tendencies you may dislike the off-ear speakers versus over-ear headphones. I may end up looking for a decent but not too spendy pair of headphones myself. It's not bad by any means but I think I'd prefer good ol' cans.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 28, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

E: Also depending on your environment and audiophile tendencies you may dislike the off-ear speakers versus over-ear headphones. I may end up looking for a decent but not too spendy pair of headphones myself. It's not bad by any means but I think I'd prefer good ol' cans.

The Bionik Mantis clip-on headphones for the PSVR headset also fit the Oculus Quest strap if you want a suggestion option. They hang against the ear like the Deluxe Audio Strap's speakers and provide decent sound quality without completely blocking out outside stimulus.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Disappointing Pie posted:

Not entirely. However, with the cable for the CV1 not being in production anymore, the Quest is the only reasonable path forward with manual IPD that is available to you outside of the $1000+ Valve Index. You mainly have to decide if untethered mobile VR is worth it to you to upgrade to a better screen (while downgrading literally everything else).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Just played an hour of The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners and it's really well done, my only nitpick is that it feels weird to be able to grab bodies/zombies from their head but not from their limbs. During the first real "quest" of the game I've spent a minute trying to turn the dead husband around to grab his wedding ring from his left hand by moving him around pulling his head, since I had not seen the ring falling off on death.

I've played on Quest with an 8m long cable (3m Amazon Basics + 5m active extension) and I have yet to experience any drop in the Link signal, even if I was playing in a different room from the one my computer is in (since the bedroom has a larger VR playable area than the studio). For the first time though I have experienced video compression while using Quest+Link, during the first part of the tutorial/game - everything is pitch black and foggy at the same time, and the banding was very noticeable. Interesting enough, I've stopped noticing it after a while, so either I got used to it, or it's not nearly as noticeable in less dark/foggy situations.

EDIT: also after 1h of standing mostly still my knees hurt.
:goonsay:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 28, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That Italian Guy posted:

EDIT: also after 1h of standing mostly still my knees hurt.
:goonsay:

As an Old, I ended up getting knee pads for games like Onward where you need to take a knee to fire from cover and stuff on my hardwood floor. Might look into getting a big yoga/exercise mat.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

That Italian Guy posted:

For the first time though I have experienced video compression while using Quest+Link, during the first part of the tutorial/game - everything is pitch black and foggy at the same time, and the banding was very noticeable. Interesting enough, I've stopped noticing it after a while, so either I got used to it, or it's not nearly as noticeable in less dark/foggy situations.

That is a symptom of using NVENC (the NVIDIA hardware video encoder). It isn't very good at handling dark scenes. It would be really awesome if Oculus eventually made it so you could use software encoding on powerful computers with lots of CPU cores, but I doubt that would ever happen. You just gotta hope that future NVIDIA cards improve on that.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I dropped $15 at Walmart for some floor pads out of the exercise area a few days ago. The balls of my feet are very pleased about this.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

I haven't seen anyone really talk about The Under Presents and it's a really weird thing that I've been playing all weekend. It has basically two modes, in one you are on this boat as kind of a ghost and you can follow the crewmembers around and watch their stories, and it's kind of Obra Dinn like in that you're trying to figure out what happened but it has little puzzle sequences where you can try to save the characters who otherwise die, and you can fast forward and re-wind time.

Then there's the framing for all that, which is that the boat frozen in time is a game/attraction that is part of this theater out of time called The Under, which has a stage that has a bunch of shows and while you are in The Under it's multiplayer. And you can do all these spells to make objects, or make objects bigger, or make them gold, or all sorts of poo poo, and none of that is explained so you just have to figure it out through trial and error or by someone showing you. There's no voice chat, the only way to communicate with other people is through gestures or snapping your figures, so it's pretty funny when someone runs up to you and is all "SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP" and then they show you the mask sequence they just figured out to make a giant golden flamingo or whatever. There's also secret areas in the Under and some random person took me on an adventure to show me how and where I could craft a different looking mask.

Anyway, until sometime in March the pre-recorded acts in the theater also include live performances from actors standing in for some of the NPC sometimes. After that it's not known if the live actors will continue or if there will be a Season 2 or what, so if you ever want to check it out, the next month or so is the time to do it. Right now there's a good amount of people playing it, and I've been really enjoying loving around with the weirdos in the theater and then going back to the boat puzzle for awhile.

That sounds cool but the boat/puzzle part sounds like it was lifted wholesale from Cryostasis. Any idea if it works with revive?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Desdinova posted:

Downloaded Q1 VR with HD textures, that was a blast from the past.

Someone on reddit posted a link to the Q3 maps that can be played in the Q1 engine, seems like it's the closest we've got to Q3 VR at the moment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/axm9vs/really_no_quake_3_vr_yet/

IIRC you can get Quake 3 weapons and maps for Serious Sam Fusion. I think they work in VR mode.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Audica is out for Quest :toot:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So is Audica beat saber with guns or what? Looks like it released last spring on Steam with good reviews and has some dlc.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hadlock posted:

So is Audica beat saber with guns or what? Looks like it released last spring on Steam with good reviews and has some dlc.

I sort of regret buying Pistol Whip. I just can't seem to make the beat feel right with the shooting. Audica looks way closer to Beat Saber which looks more satisfying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I sort of regret buying Pistol Whip. I just can't seem to make the beat feel right with the shooting. Audica looks way closer to Beat Saber which looks more satisfying.

Have you tried turning on metronome vibration?

Alternatively stop chasing high scores and just have fun dude

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wheezle posted:

IIRC you can get Quake 3 weapons and maps for Serious Sam Fusion. I think they work in VR mode.
Q3 is open sourced, why not done??

What are some games that can also be played by people that aren't wearing the headset, or that are at least fun to watch others play? Other than the bomb defusing one...
This weekend I'm going to a cabin in the mountains with some friends and as an alternative to constant drinking, I was thinking of taking the headset to let them try it out. Obviously there's only one so it has to be fun for others too somehow or it's gonna suck.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

What are some games that can also be played by people that aren't wearing the headset, or that are at least fun to watch others play? Other than the bomb defusing one...
This weekend I'm going to a cabin in the mountains with some friends and as an alternative to constant drinking, I was thinking of taking the headset to let them try it out. Obviously there's only one so it has to be fun for others too somehow or it's gonna suck.

Do you have internet? Acron is pretty great, but I think it needs to connect to a server

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you tried turning on metronome vibration?

Alternatively stop chasing high scores and just have fun dude

Hmm not sure, I'll check that tonight! I wasn't chasing any scores, just the overall 'feel' of connecting with the beat didnt really seem to jive. Maybe I just suck? Maybe that setting will help...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Hmm not sure, I'll check that tonight! I wasn't chasing any scores, just the overall 'feel' of connecting with the beat didnt really seem to jive. Maybe I just suck? Maybe that setting will help...

Lots of goons struggled to get the timing. I didn't even notice that option but another person ITT pointed it out and it does help.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So wait is the Walking Dead game open world?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

The line I heard is that it is Han Solo to Beat Sabers Luke Skywalker. I liked it so much that I repurchased on Quest even though I own on steam.

Really Harmonix are the kings of rhythm game mapping and this is also great.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Because no one has done it yet. There is Doom, Quake1, Quake2, and HL on Quest because one guy Dr. Beef made it happen.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Got the blinking red light of death on one of my Valve Index Base Stations. Googling said the best option is to put in a steam ticket with support and they’ll send you a new one and you ship the broken one back. Hopefully it won’t take too long...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah turning on the grip vibration metronome made 1000% improvement in game quality, I'm surprised pistol Whip doesn't make that feature more prominent. Probably because it drains battery quickly. Grip vibration metronome + deadeye mode is an entirely different game and makes non-deadeye feel like tutorial mode.

They added one new song but definitely feel like they need to add another 10 songs to get the most out of the game. Or allow custom tracks

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Songbearer posted:

I think?! I've only been to two locations, but you seem to have a base location, and then only when the sun is out you can depart on a raft to other cities. But you're limited by about 20-30 in-game minutes (it felt like anyway) until the horde comes down on you.

Edit-Just to clarify I am loving the game. Maybe I'll burn out of the mechanic by the end but right now the looting and killing feels so loving good :jackbud:

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 29, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Songbearer posted:

Not quite. You have a base location and then other spots in the flooded city that you can pick on your map and boat to. You can totally ignore/kill every quest giver/NPC and keep going though, from what I understand. Each day you can make one trip from the base hub to an area for a run, and each day the zombie numbers increase and the loot availability decreases.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Do you have internet? Acron is pretty great, but I think it needs to connect to a server
Maybe 3G if I'm lucky. Seeing how it's supposed to work, yeah it'll almost certainly require an internet connection because nobody does LAN multiplayer anymore :(

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Nalin posted:

That is a symptom of using NVENC (the NVIDIA hardware video encoder). It isn't very good at handling dark scenes. It would be really awesome if Oculus eventually made it so you could use software encoding on powerful computers with lots of CPU cores, but I doubt that would ever happen. You just gotta hope that future NVIDIA cards improve on that.

Unlikely IMO, because x264 is going to be noticeably slower; if you want to speed it up by lowering quality then there's not much point.

I believe, but haven't verified personally, that Turing NVENC is noticeably higher quality than Pascal NVENC, so there *is* that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Amazon reckons they can achieve single-digit latency for streaming AR/VR over 5G AWS wavelengths. Sure, in a lab it'd work. In the real world on lovely ISP infrastructure? Not a chance.

Also there's a new standalone headset entering the market called the Lynx R1, made by some French startup company with a proper reveal next week. It also looks an awwwwful lot like they cribbed off the PSVR HMD. Finding anything concrete on the company seems to essentially be punching smoke, though apparently they do have Marc Piuzzi working for them. You may remember him from the StarVR headset that just quietly died and disappeared mid-development.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Nalin posted:

Not entirely. However, with the cable for the CV1 not being in production anymore, the Quest is the only reasonable path forward with manual IPD that is available to you outside of the $1000+ Valve Index. You mainly have to decide if untethered mobile VR is worth it to you to upgrade to a better screen (while downgrading literally everything else).

Owlbear Camus posted:

I upgraded out of necessity when a friend dropped mine and killed one of the LCDs. The display feels crisper and wireless is nice. Just got my Link compatible cable last night and it works like a charm. Setup and calibration is a lot simpler. And the stand alone games do a lot with an old cellphone processor, but the difference between say, Vader Immortal is noticable between platforms. (Frex There's a really cool shader effect where a shrouded ghost guy has a skull under barely translucent shroud you can see if you get close that's a lot less neat looking on Quest.)

All that said, if you're mainly using it for PC stuff it's very much an incremental upgrade IMO that I wouldn't push too much if your CV1 is still working fine.

Biggest downside for me is the new Touch controller design is a little more awkward. I get why they needed to change it for inside out tracking, but I noticed it when I was able to load up Onward again after a long time not playing and the on-top tracking rings made racking a pistol slide really awkward.

---

Thanks for the advice, hooked up my CV1 for the first time in like 18 months if not two years and enjoyed some Beat Saber.

Oooof I forgot how awful fonts looked in this Rift though.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

GutBomb posted:

I last played Gorn over a year ago so maybe they’ve changed something, but the weapons did simulate weight but having a sort of “rubbery” cartoony stretching thing while swinging them so while the handle is 1:1 with your hand the other end of the weapon had to catch up. Did they change that?

I’m sure there’s a more succinct way to describe the effect I just mentioned but can’t come up with the word for it.

You are correct, I just worded it poorly. I think my main gripe is trying to tie weapon damage to physics/realism. Gorn lets you waggle away and do ludicrous amounts of damage while Blade and Sorcery would give a weapon heft that doesn't translate to your real life motions. Until You Fall just says screw all that and makes the game arcadey and ties weapon damage to how wide your swing is, which feels much better to play for me.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I was wondering how I was going to face down these human enemies for a quest in Walking Dead tonight, went back all prepped to fight them and they'd all been turned, even ran into the zombie version of the guy who'd given me the task, so I guess that's one way to progress the story...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

caldrax posted:

I was wondering how I was going to face down these human enemies for a quest in Walking Dead tonight, went back all prepped to fight them and they'd all been turned, even ran into the zombie version of the guy who'd given me the task, so I guess that's one way to progress the story...

lmao thats great. So is it randomized everytime you load a save? I seem to get slightly different results from npc's when doing so.