Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i was surprised by how enjoyable poker stars is (when you dont have a bunch of 12 year olds throwing donkeys and vaping between all-ins)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Happyimp posted:

Utrawings makes me want to put a box fan in front of me when I'm playing, but I have never tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-39YNLSeD-g

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

Was playing Poker Stars last night and someone at the table fell asleep / passed out with the HMD on and was snoring pretty heavily. We tried for a while to wake him up but eventually he got kicked after about 20 minutes. Wish I could've been there to watch him wake up with it on and no idea WTF is happening.

Also ran into two assholes throwing around heated gamer words, one of them doing it right before they left so it's a lot harder to report them.

Weirdly I’ve seen people fall asleep in poker stars as well, probably because its very chill and mostly sitting and talking.

As for the assholes, I just mute their voices and their avatars and I’m golden. Some idiot was playing music over his mic the other night and I just muted his whole poo poo, as did everyone at the table

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VR shows the harsh reality of my frail and weak mortal body. Standing in the same place for >90 minutes makes my knees hurt a bit. It's different than 90 minutes walking around, I would be have less problem with that (although it would be more tiring).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
That's why we're waiting for combined AR/VR goggles, so we can CyberJack into their visor and project ourselves into their house

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
As I've hit what seems to be a game breaking bug in Walking Dead, I'm thinking about trying out VR Chat when I get home tonight. Anyone want to brace me for impact?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Let the chaos wash over you

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

VR shows the harsh reality of my frail and weak mortal body. Standing in the same place for >90 minutes makes my knees hurt a bit. It's different than 90 minutes walking around, I would be have less problem with that (although it would be more tiring).

:respek: Same but for my back.

caldrax posted:

As I've hit what seems to be a game breaking bug in Walking Dead, I'm thinking about trying out VR Chat when I get home tonight. Anyone want to brace me for impact?

Hope you like anime

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

This game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/939000/Crisis_VRigade/

Kicked my rear end the other night. Its day 2 and im still sore. Hecking fun though. Feels like time crisis, but instead of pushing a pedal to duck, the game forces your rear end behind things.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

EbolaIvory posted:

This game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/939000/Crisis_VRigade/

Kicked my rear end the other night. Its day 2 and im still sore. Hecking fun though. Feels like time crisis, but instead of pushing a pedal to duck, the game forces your rear end behind things.

Crisis VRigade is fun once you get used to it, but man is it brutal one player. With one or two other players and therefore other things for the enemies to shoot at it drops from loving bullshit to actually kind of possible! It's definitely inspired by Time Crisis 1 in that you do NOT get any warning if a bullet is going to hit you.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Goodguy3 posted:

Crisis VRigade is fun once you get used to it, but man is it brutal one player. With one or two other players and therefore other things for the enemies to shoot at it drops from loving bullshit to actually kind of possible! It's definitely inspired by Time Crisis 1 in that you do NOT get any warning if a bullet is going to hit you.

Yeah I was playing it single player during my viveport night and felt like if i had a bud or whatever it would be a loving riot. Even the early levels are straight up brutal solo. Being pinned down behind a god drat chair with poo poo shooting at you from 9 directions ahhhhhhhhhh

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah I was playing it single player during my viveport night and felt like if i had a bud or whatever it would be a loving riot. Even the early levels are straight up brutal solo. Being pinned down behind a god drat chair with poo poo shooting at you from 9 directions ahhhhhhhhhh

Go online and select random room, and you'll likely be matched with someone after a few minutes at most. Otherwise, while you wait is a good time to sit down and recover. I'm actually doing that right now, haha.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Try an anti-fatigue mat to stand on, it can make a world of difference.

caldrax posted:

Head for The Great Pug or The Black Cat in VRChat, they're nice chill worlds if you just want to socialize with people in VR and a great place to start. Chances are you'll probably see some people with clonable public avatars too if you ask nicely.

Also set your safeties to at least the following;

• Visitors - avatar and voice
  • New User - same
  • User - same
  • Known User - Avatar, Voice, Animations
  • Trusted User - same.

It'll stop like 90-95% of nuisances and crashers.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I chickened out. Maybe I'll try it soon. I did however, finish the main "campaign" of Superhot, and broke a glass on my floor in the process. No more dishes in the living room during VR, you drat fool.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

RandomBlue posted:

Was playing Poker Stars last night and som
eone at the table fell asleep / passed out with the HMD on and was snoring pretty heavily. We tried for a while to wake him up but eventually he got kicked after about 20 minutes. Wish I could've been there to watch him wake up with it on and no idea WTF is happening.

I remember once going into a otherwise silent game with some kid who clearly didn't realise his mic was on and was just announcing all his hands out loud to his mother, who clearly did not give a poo poo. At first I thought this must be some A class mind game he was playing, but no.

It was hilarious seeing everyone else on the table exchange bewildered glances at each other and take advantage of it.

My favourite thing about VR is just how incredible it is to have these weird human interactions where you can see someone's arms and head movements. So many subconcious things you pick up on being in a physical space with others that you wouldn't otherwise in most online chats.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Since everything is sold out right now, I borrowed some Vive wands/basestations off a friend who doesn't use it, and got an Amazon Warehouse discounted Pimax 5k Plus.

Gonna slap my Vive deluxe strap on it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbkhUpMVVA

Guess I'll see if it's worth keeping the Pimax for $700 or if I should return. I'll let the thread know my take.

It would be nice if there was a way to jerry rig CV1 Touch controllers into Steam VR without needing the headset as a receiver.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was watching a (real) rollerderby bout the other day and pondering how well or poorly some adaptation of the sport (however loose) would work as a VR game.

The locomotion mechanics seems like it would be the make-or-break trick.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was watching a (real) rollerderby bout the other day and pondering how well or poorly some adaptation of the sport (however loose) would work as a VR game.

Sprint Vector is pretty close to that in that you're rollerblading around and smacking people. When it came out it got a lot of praise for the locomotion. Not sure if people still play it anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfblft_8n0w

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Got my Rift S today.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Roth posted:

Got my Rift S today.

Congratulations my friend!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Roth posted:

Got my Rift S today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwA0JrGfjA

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Lab is neat, but I really do not care for Gorn.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Finding myself disappointed with OhShape on quest. The tracking just seems to freak out a bunch. Not too surprising I guess since it is almost all "hold your hands at your sides" posing which is terrible for the cameras and predictive system.

Is this a problem with just the quest port, just me, or is it just not possible to fix becausrle of camera placement?

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I think it's just very difficult. I played on index and screwed up all the time. I would lower the accuracy requirement maybe or play on no fail mode.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Other people had problems with OnShape, on reddit. I think it's what you say, it isn't a good tie for this tracking system.

I finished Ghost Giant, I thought it was a bit meh. It has lots of problems with the audio right now, it isn't properly 3d and the audio mix is bad. Some of the puzzles required a lil' bit more of trial & error than ideal. But more importantly is that it doesn't tell anything meaningful in the story and I feel the main kid personality is a irritant mix of nervous and depressed.
Spoilers So the thing is that her mom suffers of clinical depression, and he desperately tries to hide it to everyone else because he thinks they will get her away from him. He makes things hard for him because of that.
First, it isn't even clear why he thinks that, did that happen before? abandonment issues? maybe the missing dad is a clue? we don't know. Second, what you do during all the game and his efforts are for nothing, he never help her with the depression. It all amounts to nothing. And not only that, but the game actually skips the hard part: how the depression is dealt with, if his fears were right or not. It makes a fade out/in and next scene everyone is happy. Uh. Why even make a story about depression if you gonna cheat like that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Turin Turambar posted:

Other people had problems with OnShape, on reddit. I think it's what you say, it isn't a good tie for this tracking system.

I finished Ghost Giant, I thought it was a bit meh. It has lots of problems with the audio right now, it isn't properly 3d and the audio mix is bad. Some of the puzzles required a lil' bit more of trial & error than ideal. But more importantly is that it doesn't tell anything meaningful in the story and I feel the main kid personality is a irritant mix of nervous and depressed.
Spoilers So the thing is that her mom suffers of clinical depression, and he desperately tries to hide it to everyone else because he thinks they will get her away from him. He makes things hard for him because of that.
First, it isn't even clear why he thinks that, did that happen before? abandonment issues? maybe the missing dad is a clue? we don't know. Second, what you do during all the game and his efforts are for nothing, he never help her with the depression. It all amounts to nothing. And not only that, but the game actually skips the hard part: how the depression is dealt with, if his fears were right or not. It makes a fade out/in and next scene everyone is happy. Uh. Why even make a story about depression if you gonna cheat like that.

because there is no happy ending with depression, just carrying on at best and that makes for a lovely game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

because there is no happy ending with depression, just carrying on at best and that makes for a lovely game.

Well, I'm not saying it shouldn't have a happy ending because of 'realism', but if they are going to do one, they should have incorporated her recovery into the game's story, and even better, make the protagonist participant on it, too. Basically they have time-skipped the story's climax.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I played about an hour and a half of the Doom 3 BFG VR mod and it's pretty fantastic. Using look aim for the terminals is kind of annoying, and so is standing around for the cut-scenes, but it feels like it's within punching distance of being an actual VR remaster. It's incredibly easy to setup, I would definitely scope it out if you want to pad out your VR library

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think with roller derby the locomotion would be less of an issue than the fact that it's a sport based on physically blocking and shoving with your actual body, which I cannot imagine working at all in VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've been testing out the latest Virtual Desktop beta, I'm impressed. I've had issues in the past, some kind of conflict with my Ubiquiti mesh wifi setup, but at some point (I haven't tried it in a while) that seems to have been fixed. Latency is also considerably better, not imperceptible but nowhere near as bad as it was and playing TWD:S&S it was virtually impossible to tell the difference anyway. Something like Beat Saber still might present problems though.

The biggest benefit of this however is that I can play PCVR in any drat room in my house now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rift v14, basically it re-enables the mic in Link
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/86797/rift-s-and-rift-build-14-0-release-notes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

Sprint Vector is pretty close to that in that you're rollerblading around and smacking people. When it came out it got a lot of praise for the locomotion. Not sure if people still play it anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfblft_8n0w

The multiplayer is pretty dead last I looked, but it has course Cups like Mario Kart so you can play everything single-player. There's also a bunch of challenge courses, iirc.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rift and Rift S update
updates nothing for Rift and Rift S

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The multiplayer is pretty dead last I looked, but it has course Cups like Mario Kart so you can play everything single-player. There's also a bunch of challenge courses, iirc.

Unfortunately with VR being a small market people playing short time periods effectively all VR multiplayer games die within a day or two of launch. The only games with consistent population are Pavlov, Rec Room, and to a lesser extent Onward and Echo Arena.

https://vrlfg.net/players

Also keep in mind when you look at those counts they don't tell you how many people are playing multiplayer, so if you see 15 people playing Creed you still most likely can't get a match since the other 15 people are probably playing single player.

Edit: If you make a multiplayer VR game, make it also work in non-VR to have any chance of having any population.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

another outlier is poker stars - it has a surprising amount of people, but i think it's on steam/oculus (so quest too)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

quote:

Moving forward, Oculus Link no longer requires that the Quest software and the PC software have matching version numbers. However, the two software versions must be within one version of the other. 

This is a good implemention that will stop a lot of headaches going forward.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I could have sworn that Sprint Vector had a community night planned for every Saturday at a specific time, to kind of shore up some of the players interested in multiplayer, but from my phone I couldn't find anything regarding that on their steam community / updates page.. could've sworn it IS a thing, though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inacio posted:

Rift and Rift S update

Rift S was a dead project 90 days after it was released

Any talented project managers or developers got poached to work on the glorious leader golden goose Quest project

Rift S is going to have about as much post launch support as a 1 year old Samsung tablet

:rip:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inacio posted:

Rift and Rift S update

I think right now is to get Link out of beta, just in time for HL Alyx. I think that's understandable. Let's what they do after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Big Brother new acquisition, Sanzaru Games
https://www.oculus.com/blog/welcoming-sanzaru-games-to-facebook/

Speaking of... I finally dropped Asgard Wrath, I played half an our with the elf and that's was it.