Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Why Does HL Alyx keep giving me low Video card memory pop ups? Like I have a 1080Ti with 11gigs and nothing else running.

I don't notice any issues when I'm playing the game (its fuckin creepy btw) so the pop up seems weird?

I got that too a couple times. But I've had other games tell me that as well and it never presented any actual issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I want to play around with regular plain-vanilla house/home floor plans and then view them in VR

In the past, on a 2D computer screen, I've used sketchup (most recently), used blender very briefly, I dabbled in making TF2 (team fortress 2/source 1 engine) maps a decade ago, Quake 1/2 maps 15 years ago and AutoCAD ~20ish years ago

I'm not looking to print off formal blueprints to hand off to a contractor, but I do need something that has a measurement feature in inches/cm, and also has the ability to import correctly scaled generic objects like a couch, bed, fridge etc

Would something like generic Unity 3D+Blender work, or can someone recommend a product? Preferably free, but maybe up to $100 or something

edit: image for demonstration

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
G2 lookin pretty good through the lens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWhOA-PJAek

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Finally got around to Thrill of the Fight. What a great game! My shoulders and upper back are really sore today. My boxing style is more flailing haymakers than actual technique. And when the fight first starts I'm teleported to the center of the ring, face to face with my opponent. I drat near fell backwards the first time that happened.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Thoatse posted:

wow that's amazing. I'll be cashing in my Rift S when it ships to Australia

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thoatse posted:

:stare:

I was waiting for them to switch to the in camera footage when the video panned down and there was no arm attached to that hand. That's incredible.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Thoatse posted:

Is this real? This can’t be real.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Holy gently caress how much is this going to cost because I'm taking a second job for it.

Edit: $599? loving sold.

Edit2: Wtf is up with this pre order website?

https://www.connection.com/product/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset/1g5u1aa-aba/41024161?cm_mmc=HP-_-Reverb-G2-_-VR-Headset-_-Pre-Order

Its linked from the HP site but????

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 2, 2020

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

MarcusSA posted:

Holy gently caress how much is this going to cost because I'm taking a second job for it.

Edit: $599? loving sold.

Edit2: Wtf is up with this pre order website?

https://www.connection.com/product/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset/1g5u1aa-aba/41024161?cm_mmc=HP-_-Reverb-G2-_-VR-Headset-_-Pre-Order

Its linked from the HP site but????

If you care about hand controller tracking I'd suggest waiting to hear how it is, according to most people WMR controller tracking is not very good when your hands aren't in front of your face.

This has more cameras than any previous WMR headset but I still want to know how its controller tracking stacks up to Rift S. It's a tough problem, even the S tracking wasn't good enough for me until it got some major updates after release.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

HP is going all out and looks to have a winner on their hands.

However... keep in mind 'through the lens' video isn't necessarily representative of what you'd see wearing it. The camera isn't seeing and imaging it like your eyes would.

I'm not saying it won't be a good headset, i'm just saying don't take through the lens video as gospel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

HP is going all out and looks to have a winner on their hands.

However... keep in mind 'through the lens' video isn't necessarily representative of what you'd see wearing it. The camera isn't seeing and imaging it like your eyes would.

I'm not saying it won't be a good headset, i'm just saying don't take through the lens video as gospel.

Even if the controller tracking's so-so it's probably gonna wind up a winner with the sim crowd.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tip posted:

If you care about hand controller tracking I'd suggest waiting to hear how it is, according to most people WMR controller tracking is not very good when your hands aren't in front of your face.

This has more cameras than any previous WMR headset but I still want to know how its controller tracking stacks up to Rift S. It's a tough problem, even the S tracking wasn't good enough for me until it got some major updates after release.

Yeah its probably for the best I didn't pre order but drat it does look nice.

Gonna wait for some reviews before deciding to upgrade or not.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Are there any good racing vr games yet? I would have to imagine that they would be perfect for the format.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nocheez posted:

Are there any good racing vr games yet? I would have to imagine that they would be perfect for the format.

Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1012790/Into_the_Radius_VR/

has anyone here tried this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nocheez posted:

Iracing, assetto Corsa Competizione, OG Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, Race Room

There are a bunch of them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m interested too

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nocheez posted:

Dirt Rally 2.0 is the best you can get, imo

Also I played the first two missions of Phantom: Covert Ops and holy poo poo they brought David Hayter back into Metal Gear but you're strapped to a kayak the entire time. Kinda simple but still a poo poo ton of fun and good low-impact exercise. You can really get some loving speed going which is a ton of fun!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa. This looks rad. Someone has to have played it?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mixedrealityTV/status/1277610633106788353

Son of a gently caress. If I didn't love my Rift S and play controller games regularly, I'd absolutely get one of these for flightsimming.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I know Rage has played it, I played a bit before it left discord-only alpha stage and I can say I liked the concept but it was pretty spartan. It's in fairly early development so I'm going to be waiting a bit to see how it pans out

There have been quite a few updates to VR titles recently

- Killing Floor Incursion had a bunch of bug fixes and apparently an AI/Pathfinding rework for the entire game. I know a lot of people probably have this in their library, I think I got it out of a humble bundle deal before I even had a headset

- Compound has been getting a fairly steady stream of updates, even if they're bite-sized. Recently they added the ability to save your game, but if I'm being honest, the aesthetic is 100% there but the gameplay is kinda monotonous. Still, I think a lot of people probably have this in their library

- Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is still trucking with constant updates, but Anton just finished Update 90 which is now out of a month-long alpha. If you don't own this game, it's more than just a firearms sim, so give it a look. And don't forget to put your pistol over your shoulder, so when you're taking a knee to load a stripper clip into your bolt-action you can reach behind yourself to grab a backup when you get pushed by sosigs. Note: this feels extremely cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwPqLkF2OTg

- Boneworks update 1.5 came out June 18th and it's a pretty substantial update. Anyone who bounced off of workin' the bone should try it again because a lot of the annoying things, like jumping and how much your character fuckin wobbles, have been addressed (maybe not fixed 100% to your liking, it's all subjective, but it's much better now). They've added a new zombie arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Vwf5kzPlw

- Blade and Sorcery recently had it's big 8.0 update released at the beginning of June, and we're on the third bug fix update. There is way, way more "game" here now to play with. That being said, there is no Star Wars mod working for the latest version yet, so if you want to throw lightsabers into heads you'll have to do it in real life comics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJkoHDfaNU

- Jet Island had a massive update to it's lighting engine which I mentioned upthread, but it's still worth checking out if you haven't already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1avQxE0u0nk

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Finally got my Rift S set up and all I gotta say is WHOA.

Yeah. Me too.

You guys have been doing this this whole time?

Just the silly tutorial and the friendly robot thing blew my mind

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Penpal posted:

And don't forget to put your pistol over your shoulder, so when you're taking a knee to load a stripper clip into your bolt-action you can reach behind yourself to grab a backup when you get pushed by sosigs. Note: this feels extremely cool

Oh dang that's a hell of a pro tip.

Unrelated: is there a Wipeout VR kind of game out there?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Am I just not scouring the levels enough or is Half Life: Alyx just really stingy on the upgrade stuff? Like more than once I've gotten to an upgrade station and not had enough to do anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this! posted:

Am I just not scouring the levels enough or is Half Life: Alyx just really stingy on the upgrade stuff? Like more than once I've gotten to an upgrade station and not had enough to do anything.

It's just stingy with the resin, at least in my experience. Make sure you're opening cabinets and drawers as you poke around though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

seravid posted:

Unrelated: is there a Wipeout VR kind of game out there?

Ballistic NG is an awesome moddable unashamed Wipeout clone with VR support.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alyx is :tbear:: The Game

Just rampage thru each room like a bull in a china shop and grab the resin.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gravity flick everything.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

My first time through I rummaged through everything. My second time through I knew about the dynamic item placement and stopped searching for anything, just grabbing stuff that I happened to notice.

I feel like I ended up without about the same amount of stuff.

Doing an upgrade locker puzzle just to realize you don't have enough resin is really annoying though. I wish I could just turn off those stupid puzzles, they're so tedious.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hhhat posted:

Yeah. Me too.

You guys have been doing this this whole time?

Just the silly tutorial and the friendly robot thing blew my mind

Hell yes! That robot tutorial is actually an incredibly smart way to intro the device. I’m definitely showing it to as many people as possible.

Is anyone using any like breakout cables for their device? I’m feeling like I don’t want to leave it hooked up 24/7 as it might be a week between when I can use it with work and stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My pc is behind the wall from my play area so I have an HDMI and USB extension coming through the wall to plug into. Works great

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Will there be any loss of quality with a USB and Displayport extension cable? Anyone tried that that can report back?

I feel like I could use an extension effectively. It would also give me a way to unplug the stupid thing since it turns out always on is a thing apparently?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

hhhat posted:

Will there be any loss of quality with a USB and Displayport extension cable? Anyone tried that that can report back?

I feel like I could use an extension effectively. It would also give me a way to unplug the stupid thing since it turns out always on is a thing apparently?

Like Silly-Balls I also have my computer on the other side of a wall from my play space so run an extension through it to plug into. I use a passive 6ft/2m displayport extension made by Cable Matters and it works fine with my Index, no artifacts sparkles etc. I think that's as long as you can do passively though and beyond that active dp cables are stupid expensive ($50-$150) and finicky as to which models of which brands work. USB is not as picky other than for CV1 sensors which was dumb af

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazing thanks guys! I’ll order some short ones since my PC is in the same room and I just need 3ft or so.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s all digital so there is no signal loss. It works perfectly right up until it stops working altogether as you add length.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Into The Radius is great fun, definitely worth picking up especially on sale. I've got a bunch of VODs on my twitch page that can give you a pretty good idea of what the game is like.
It plays like STALKER but in VR (I never played stalker, but thats what everyone says). It's spoopy as gently caress, but not from jump scares or anything like that, just from an amazing amount of atmosphere that is very disconcerting.
I've been playing it for a little while and I'm close to the "end" of the beta stage content, so its got a good amount of content today. It's coming out of Early Access on the 20th with a full story so it will have a load more new content as well, which I'm looking forward to spooping my pants in.
About the only issue with it can be the grabbing controls, they kind of broke with VR convention on having objects be approximately fist sized which is about the resolution accuracy of object interaction in VR. There's a string and tele-grab function that has some angle oddities that can be frustrating at times. Other than that it's a very solid exploration/survival experience where everything is trying to kill you and also make you poop your pants.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Thoatse posted:

Like Silly-Balls I also have my computer on the other side of a wall from my play space so run an extension through it to plug into. I use a passive 6ft/2m displayport extension made by Cable Matters and it works fine with my Index, no artifacts sparkles etc. I think that's as long as you can do passively though and beyond that active dp cables are stupid expensive ($50-$150) and finicky as to which models of which brands work. USB is not as picky other than for CV1 sensors which was dumb af

you good thanks for the info I got the same cable :cheers:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Other than that it's a very solid exploration/survival experience where everything is trying to kill you and also make you poop your pants.

Ok thanks for the write up but I’m out lol. I watched some videos and no loving thank you!

Looks like fun though if not for the being terrified the whole time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Just don't bother upgrading the shotgun. It's a fine weapon with no upgrades, for the dozen-or-so shells the game will give you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gort posted:

Just don't bother upgrading the shotgun. It's a fine weapon with no upgrades, for the dozen-or-so shells the game will give you for it.

If you use it more you'll get more ammo. Those loose shotgun shells are really easy to miss though.