Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DrBox posted:

According to google USD to CAD is 1.32 making $299 US come out to $394 CAD. The pre tax price on the Oculus site is $459 making it $68 dollars higher, not $5-10.

Oh, sorry, I preordered off bestbuy where it’s $399CAD pre-tax and $450-something all in shipped to Ontario.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/oculus-quest-2-64gb-vr-headset-with-touch-controllers/14924016

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Martytoof posted:

Oh, sorry, I preordered off bestbuy where it’s $399CAD pre-tax and $450-something all in shipped to Ontario.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/oculus-quest-2-64gb-vr-headset-with-touch-controllers/14924016

Oh nice! I did not think they would be so much cheaper. Even the elite strap is 10 bucks less.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Martytoof posted:

I’m wondering whether it will be worthwhile to try to reuse my vive DAS on the Q2 via some kind of 3d printed chicanery, or just invest in the OEM rigid strap. I don’t particularly like the idea of ditching the nice sound I got from the DAS in favour of the sound pipes again, but maybe this is just a case for some nice in-ear buds.

All I know is I’m going to NEED a comfort strap. The original Q1 headstrap was MURDER on my head — unwearable after five minutes for excruciating pain. The Q2 out of box strap looks even worse.

I base this off nothing, but I would wager within a few weeks someone has 3d printer files for a DAS adapter for the Q2.

Heck, there was a sizable aftermarket of headstrap accessories for the original quest and that was never even expected to have the headstrap removed, they just found ways to clamp on. Having a dedicated connector for straps this time should see all those halo strap makers releasing modified versions that fit on the Q2.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The developers of Red Matter posted some shots of Quest vs Quest 2 (https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/iusgk0/red_matter_on_the_oculus_quest_2_this_is_how_it/). They claim it's "a sneak peek, captured directly from the device" but these don't look like through-the-lens shots but the eye buffer contents. Still neat tho!

Quest:

Quest 2:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Delta-Wye posted:

The developers of Red Matter posted some shots of Quest vs Quest 2 (https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/iusgk0/red_matter_on_the_oculus_quest_2_this_is_how_it/). They claim it's "a sneak peek, captured directly from the device" but these don't look like through-the-lens shots but the eye buffer contents. Still neat tho!

Quest:

Quest 2:

Yeah this looks good but tells you nothing about how it actually looks on the screen.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Delta-Wye posted:

Quest:

Quest 2:

I think the comparison GIFs were most helpful to really see the difference (at least on my phone).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
It definitely looks way way better, even without the gif I can see a huge difference. BUT...

Delta-Wye posted:

They claim it's "a sneak peek, captured directly from the device" but these don't look like through-the-lens shots but the eye buffer contents.

Wheezle posted:

Yeah this looks good but tells you nothing about how it actually looks on the screen.

yeeep

Also that gif makes me wonder if they aren't cheating and turning down graphics settings... or does the Quest 2 really perform so much better you can turn up the textures and lighting significantly? I thought this was mostly just a resolution bump.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

It definitely looks way way better, even without the gif I can see a huge difference. ...cheating and turning down graphics settings... or does the Quest 2 really perform so much better you can turn up the textures and lighting significantly? I thought this was mostly just a resolution bump.

The XR2 is a pretty substantial bump up, not only does it have VR specific hardware instructions, but it's (on paper) 2x increase pretty much all metrics

I was wondering why Budget Cuts and a bunch of other titles hadn't been released for VR yet. If you look at Pavlov and what they had to do to get it to fit on the Quest 1, if you were an insider developer and you had the choice between shrinking all your assets (again) and developing for Q1 and Q2, or using existing assets from your PC version and developing solely for the Q2... I would just wait and save all that time/money

Quest 2 should probably be able to use PSVR assets (guessing) which ought to make porting a lot easier. My guess is we'll see a cambrian explosion of titles released for the Quest 2 now that they don't have to dumb all the graphics down to Potato level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DLSqfftsnE&t=172s

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Will they even allow games that are quest 2 exclusive onto the store?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also that gif makes me wonder if they aren't cheating and turning down graphics settings... or does the Quest 2 really perform so much better you can turn up the textures and lighting significantly? I thought this was mostly just a resolution bump.

There's extra headroom and lots of games are going to be enhanced more than just resolution on Quest 2. The Quest 2 version of the Walking Dead game has more environmental props than the Quest 1 version.

Also, one of the Red Matter developers talked about it at that reddit link:

quote:

There is not much we have had to change to the content to be honest. Most of the textures were already fairly high res, it’s just that the bad filtering on Quest would make a blurry mess out of them. On Quest 2 we can afford high levels of anisotropic filtering. It was only then that we realized a few textures were not holding up, so we swapped them with higher res versions from the PC build.

The lesson learned here is that it’s pointless to obsess over screen resolution if your pixels aren’t of great quality. There is a balance that needs to be found.

We also forgot to mention that the LOD distances have been pushed way back.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

I base this off nothing, but I would wager within a few weeks someone has 3d printer files for a DAS adapter for the Q2.

Heck, there was a sizable aftermarket of headstrap accessories for the original quest and that was never even expected to have the headstrap removed, they just found ways to clamp on. Having a dedicated connector for straps this time should see all those halo strap makers releasing modified versions that fit on the Q2.

I'll be shocked if we don't see one. Theres already Quest 2s in hands of people with printers. If you're wrong I'll be stunned.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wheezle posted:

Will they even allow games that are quest 2 exclusive onto the store?

Not for a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Guess what Valve apparently fixed with the new update?

quote:

Improved Bluetooth base station power management reliability, which fixes most cases of base stations failing to power on for Index users on Windows 10 update 2004 or newer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2020/09/16/qualcomm-snapdragon-xr2-platform-commercially-debuts-oculus-quest-2
Confirmation of Wi-Fi 6 feature:
"Premium Wi-Fi 6 performance of the Qualcomm® FastConnect™ 6800 connectivity system that enables Oculus Quest 2 to achieve truly wireless VR with faster download speeds."

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

ROFLBOT posted:

buy Quest
create fake account
if asked for ID, provide ID

its not hard

Hello,
Just to reply to some of your previous comments about how you can just use a fake name - I worked in a marketing job that used a lot of social media for 4 years, and your actual written name is one of the least important data points for Facebook. Facebook probably isn't using your real name as it's unique ID for the profile it has on you, because so many other people will have the same name as you. It's still useful if they have it, but the actual string of characters that make up your name aren't massively useful. Facebook cross-references massive amounts of data, and you contribute to that dataset by virtue of using the platform in any way. If you have given them a fake name, this is a tiny amount of junk data (and the least valuable to them).

I also saw that you posted a screenshot of your 'activity log' with nothing on it. Similarly, the activity log can be useful, but Facebook has so many other metrics it uses to track you and build a personal profile that it then aggressively monetises to and shares with advertisers. For example, it is tracking how long you are looking at a particular post before scrolling on, whether you click links in a post, and loads of other subtle aspects of your behaviour which contributes to a really accurate model for creating a digital version of your likes and dislikes. A lot of this is indirect - it can accurately predict lots of things about you via activity that probably seems unrelated, like an example might be what time you visit the website, from where, and from what kind of device or browser, which in conjunction with a couple other data points is really all it needs.

You also don't need to be on the Facebook website or app for them to be harvesting this data. In fact, most of their profile on you is harvested by other means. The most common is something called the Facebook Pixel. In short, this is a pixel that anyone can install on their website, that essentially makes that one pixel part of Facebook. This effectively lets them track user activity off-site. Website owners want this if they run FB ads because it lets them track click through rates on their ads, and helps make their ads more cost effective because Facebook can better target people it knows are going to go on and buy something, or interact according to the advetiser's priorities. Facebook wants this because it lets them build a profile of your interests even if you don't use Facebook's website. (As an aside, I would recommend using Firefox as it comes with tools preinstalled to limit the behaviour of Facebook's off-site tracking).

You've also mentioned that you have Facebook friends/family, all under fake names. Well congratulations - the fact that you have a social circle is more than enough for Facebook to build a frighteningly accurate data profile of you based off of pure inference.

Lastly, I also just want to point out that companies such as Facebook and Google all need very very few datapoints to build a scarily accurate data profile of you. Have you ever been in that situation where someone talks about going on holiday somewhere, and then you get an advert minutes later for that holiday destination? Your microphone or TV aren't snooping on you - it's just that their algorithms are scarily good at predicting exactly when you're going to decide you want to order a burger from a particular place, or go on holiday to a particular destination. And it gets it right just enoguh of the time that people notice and think they're being listened to with secret microphones.

In short, using a fake name on Facebook and also barely using Facebook isn't going to get around any of the issues in any way. In fact, the only reason Facebook wants people's real names is because it incentivises OTHER people to find their friends more easily and sign on. It's a user convenience thing rather than a data harvesting thing. They don't need your real name to harvest data on you.

And it goes without saying that if you're at all concerned about any of the above, the Oculus Quest is going to be kind of scary as it's going to give it a HUGE amount of data. Even things like your posture, or the way you gesticulate with your hands, can be cross referenced with the billions of other users to work out things about you, your likes, dislikes, hopes and aspirations you probably don't even know about yourself. But if you're not concerned about any of the above, you might as well use your real name because it really doesn't matter to Facebook.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 18, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I swear when I had a Samsung Gear ages ago then I could use it without my glasses by adjusting the little focus wheel on top. But when I tried a Lenovo Explorer I had to keep my glasses on which sucked.

Is this a thing or am I remembering it wrong? Will either the Q2 or G2 let me adjust for glasses-less wearing?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, I pre-ordered a Quest 2 from Costco so I can easily return it. I've been pretty sensitive to fixed IPD devices before (they can give me headaches). I guess I'll see if I can make something work with the Quest 2.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've currently got a CV1. Would the Quest 2 offer a decent upgrade in terms of image quality?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

alphabettitouretti posted:

I've currently got a CV1. Would the Quest 2 offer a decent upgrade in terms of image quality?

Almost certainly. The upgrade from CV1 to Quest was very noticeable to me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2020/09/16/qualcomm-snapdragon-xr2-platform-commercially-debuts-oculus-quest-2
Confirmation of Wi-Fi 6 feature:
"Premium Wi-Fi 6 performance of the Qualcomm® FastConnect™ 6800 connectivity system that enables Oculus Quest 2 to achieve truly wireless VR with faster download speeds."

Hooray, VD just got way better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Great Beer posted:

Hooray, VD just got way better.

You should really see a doctor about that and warn your partner :ohdear:.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Almost certainly. The upgrade from CV1 to Quest was very noticeable to me.

What's the experience like linking it up with a PC? Pretty much the same, but with just one cable and no extra bits?

How's the screen door effect on these newer displays?

Also, what the hell is with the price of the link cable??! Is there a cheaper alternative?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

What's the experience like linking it up with a PC? Pretty much the same, but with just one cable and no extra bits?

Also, what the hell is with the price of the link cable??! Is there a cheaper alternative?

Actual USB3 cables are expensive. If you get a cheap one, link will run like poo poo. If you have a 5ghz router it's cheaper and better to just get Virtual Desktop. I suspect most of the fake usb3 cables are either misleading marketing because the cable is technically compatible with USB3 devices or outright lies because 99% of people will never notice the difference.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
e: never mind

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Any decent usb3 $15 cable will serve. The issue with link is the extra latency and image compression, but the latency can't be noticed unless you play Beat Saber in Expert or something like that, and the image compression... it can be noticed in specific night or fog scenes or in specific gradients, but we are expecting to be improved in Quest 2, although they may need a few months until they really get out all the performance of the new chip.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Great Beer posted:

Actual USB3 cables are expensive. If you get a cheap one, link will run like poo poo. If you have a 5ghz router it's cheaper and better to just get Virtual Desktop. I suspect most of the fake usb3 cables are either misleading marketing because the cable is technically compatible with USB3 devices or outright lies because 99% of people will never notice the difference.

Using USB2 for Link has a 2ms hit to latency, but otherwise the experience is visually identical. Carmack has made it pretty clear that updates to Link in the future will take advantage of USB 3's greater bandwidth, but a cheap-rear end 3m USB 2.0 cable isn't going to give a poor experience in comparison to the official cable. It's cable durability that's more a problem with cheaper cables, the connection points are under frequent stress and I've had 2 cables break.

The Budget Option that still gets you USB 3.0 speeds is a decent quality 1 meter USB 3 Type C > Type A cable and a 5 meter USB 3 active extension cable, which combine to about 30 bucks from somewhere like Amazon. A bit bulky though.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 18, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

It definitely looks way way better, even without the gif I can see a huge difference. BUT...

yeeep

They went into a little detail on what they changed:

quote:

We just pushed an update that enhances the visual quality for Oculus Quest 2 and these are the changes:

Added anisotropic filtering to textures
Increased resolution of several textures
Game resolution increased
Enabled Dynamic Fixed Foveated Rendering
Lowered maximum Fixed Foveated Rendering level

fuf posted:

I swear when I had a Samsung Gear ages ago then I could use it without my glasses by adjusting the little focus wheel on top. But when I tried a Lenovo Explorer I had to keep my glasses on which sucked.

Is this a thing or am I remembering it wrong? Will either the Q2 or G2 let me adjust for glasses-less wearing?

Nope. theres a spacer to help fit glasses, but the GearVR remains the only hmd i know of to have a focus wheel on it. There are companies that sell after market prescription inserts that fit over the lenses so you don't have to wear glasses, but thats the best you can do.

You should see a substantial increase over the CV1. CV1 with a pentile screen was around ~2.5m subpixels per eye, quest 2 with rgb stripe should be around ~10m per eye.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

We need a "PC VR Megathread: NO Facebook account required" thread. This poo poo sucks.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Nope. theres a spacer to help fit glasses, but the GearVR remains the only hmd i know of to have a focus wheel on it. There are companies that sell after market prescription inserts that fit over the lenses so you don't have to wear glasses, but thats the best you can do.

That makes me wonder how viable lens inserts with a variable focus would be.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SCheeseman posted:

Using USB2 for Link has a 2ms hit to latency, but otherwise the experience is visually identical. Carmack has made it pretty clear that updates to Link in the future will take advantage of USB 3's greater bandwidth, but a cheap-rear end 3m USB 2.0 cable isn't going to give a poor experience in comparison to the official cable. It's cable durability that's more a problem with cheaper cables, the connection points are under frequent stress and I've had 2 cables break.

The Budget Option that still gets you USB 3.0 speeds is a decent quality 1 meter USB 3 Type C > Type A cable and a 5 meter USB 3 active extension cable, which combine to about 30 bucks from somewhere like Amazon. A bit bulky though.

Something like this?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MXKU8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still need the C->A but that was my plan since I am using this for my rear sensor for my CV1.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I have that exact one and it works alright.

There's another caveat I forgot to mention: the Quest's battery will likely drain during play. Not by much, you might get 6 or so hours from full charge (depends on the cables and USB port etc).

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 18, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Who the hell can stand a VR headset on for 6 straight hours anyway? Yikes!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah I have that exact one and it works alright.

There's another caveat I forgot to mention: the Quest's battery while likely drain during play. Not by much, you might get 6 or so hours from full charge (depends on the cables and USB port etc).

Yeah, I'm a bit worried the Q2 will be worse on the drain given its hardware, but obv we'll see. My longest VR sessions are probably playing The Forest with friends but my limit on that is about 3 hours so I imagine I'll be fine.

I play overwhelmingly PC-connected titles but I'm interested in the versatility of the Q2.

Is there any experience difference between an active 3.0 cable and an official Fiber one?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Other than the real-world inconveniences, no. In-headset things should be identical.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would love for extra power on the Q2 to finally allow Google to put Street View or Earth on the Quest, even though Wander fulfils all my needs and I’ve already invested the fifteen bucks.

I’m not sure that horsepower was what was keeping Google Earth from mobile though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Didn't Carmack say they can't push the new processor even close to its fullest potential because of thermal issues?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nocheez posted:

Who the hell can stand a VR headset on for 6 straight hours anyway? Yikes!

My index is plenty comfortable for that long. Inevitably, my feet get tired of standing long before my face gets tired of the HMD. If I'm sitting, like in E:D or something, it's a non-issue pretty much indefinitely. Like, I don't know if I've had any 6-hour sessions? But quite possibly maybe. I probably did when I was playing Moss. I've never ever had to stop playing because of headset issues.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

Didn't Carmack say they can't push the new processor even close to its fullest potential because of thermal issues?

He said it. But even with the thermal limits, it's still more powerful than the Quest 1.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wearing Quest 2 in the shower for active water cooling to get some extra FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Martytoof posted:

Wearing Quest 2 in the shower for active water cooling to get some extra FPS

Moving to Minot ND and questing on my patio in january.