Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Shogunner posted:

it's looking likely that it'll be the end of october, atleast according to the person i spoke with for their US distributor

worth it I'd say if you don't want the FB headset or to wait until the first restock in 2021

between the cpu bottleneck and the nvidia shortage, we're probably just going to cope with it

how bad is the MSFS cpu bottleneck anyway? Does it like not utilize more than 1 core well or something

It doesn't scale past 6 threads, basically. All the rendering happens on a single thread (thanks to D3D11) which means that you need good single core speed. Even with a lowly i5 6600k, I see pretty uneven core utilization and my GPU is sometimes starved for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shogunner posted:

it's looking likely that it'll be the end of october, atleast according to the person i spoke with for their US distributor

worth it I'd say if you don't want the FB headset or to wait until the first restock in 2021

between the cpu bottleneck and the nvidia shortage, we're probably just going to cope with it

how bad is the MSFS cpu bottleneck anyway? Does it like not utilize more than 1 core well or something

I got it to perform well on a single 2560x1080 screen (80ish FPS in flight, 60ish on the ground) and still look nice on my 9900k/2080 by turning shadows down a bit and lowering some settings. Even with settings lowered to that level it blows x-plane or fsx out of the water. Now, I think once I’m rendering that for each eye it will probably struggle to get to 45fps so settings will need to be lowered even more but it will still be nicer than anything else available. X-plane with Vulkan now performs really nicely in VR but looks terrible in comparison, and FSX with FlyInside is pretty janky.

I haven’t tried DCS in a couple years but it brought my old CV1 to its knees.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rectus posted:

AFAIK, they either do this by abusing the functions for setting the playspace zero pose offsets in the openvr API, by hooking into the driver side interface and intercepting the pose.

The latter is why the last SteamVR update broke a ton of utilities. Valve added an updated driver interface, and none of the utilities could see the pose updates since they were looking for the old version.

The reason I’m asking is because say someone got a wild hair up their rear end to build a chair that could, let’s start small, tilt itself back and forth, to simulate forward/backward acceleration. Nothing new there. But to work with arbitrary games, it would need to both detect acceleration in-game somehow, and also cancel out its movement of the player within the VR environment. Like, you floor it in your car and the chair tips back, but without some extra sauce, you’d have to look down toward your feet to be looking the same direction in game.

I imagine a solution for this would have to be on a game-by-game basis. Fixing it in one might help with others based on the underlying engine, but still.

The math itself is trivial, of course, but it’s injecting the results into the game that strike me as problematic.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 23, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shogunner posted:

The site doesn't show as out of stock right now, so if I were to pre-order I should get the headset in October? Can't decide what to do, I guess that since I know I really want this headset, I should just go ahead and do it, but I always feel iffy pre-ordering stuff without first knowing when its even going to release.

[edit]
I went ahead and pulled the plug on pre-ordering. I am excited to get my first ever VR headset.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 23, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You should be! I hemmed and hawed for a long time and the finally dove in and it’s been awesome, no ragrets.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GutBomb posted:

I haven’t tried DCS in a couple years but it brought my old CV1 to its knees.

Google DCS VR Shaders for a mod that makes the framerate basically okay, mostly. DCS is still DCS.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

I said come in! posted:

The site doesn't show as out of stock right now, so if I were to pre-order I should get the headset in October? Can't decide what to do, I guess that since I know I really want this headset, I should just go ahead and do it, but I always feel iffy pre-ordering stuff without first knowing when its even going to release.

[edit]
I went ahead and pulled the plug on pre-ordering. I am excited to get my first ever VR headset.

I agree it's uncharacteristic for me too, but VR racing is just too loving good, combined with the global pandemic and my social life getting shut down?? no brainer.

i think you did the right thing, HP said if you pre-order you will get it, I think the demand is why that original September 15th release got pushed back too. also with valve's help I really think we're going to be getting an incredible piece of hardware

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I'm the kind of guy who normally skips out on console reiterations, DS lite, ps4 pro etc. Just because I can already play the games so who cares.

It just struck me how wild it is that, less than a year after I bought my first headset, I have decided to put my net gen console money into getting a g2 and pc upgrade instead. I just enjoy VR that much.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bad Munki posted:

The reason I’m asking is because say someone got a wild hair up their rear end to build a chair that could, let’s start small, tilt itself back and forth, to simulate forward/backward acceleration. Nothing new there. But to work with arbitrary games, it would need to both detect acceleration in-game somehow, and also cancel out its movement of the player within the VR environment. Like, you floor it in your car and the chair tips back, but without some extra sauce, you’d have to look down toward your feet to be looking the same direction in game.

I imagine a solution for this would have to be on a game-by-game basis. Fixing it in one might help with others based on the underlying engine, but still.

The math itself is trivial, of course, but it’s injecting the results into the game that strike me as problematic.

This is basically what you want to build but already put together:

https://www.yawvr.com/

I remember seeing a review on youtube some time back, i think it worked pretty well, but had some finicky setup with each game, which... I guess is pretty much what you'd expect.

Gentleman Baller posted:

I'm the kind of guy who normally skips out on console reiterations, DS lite, ps4 pro etc. Just because I can already play the games so who cares.

It just struck me how wild it is that, less than a year after I bought my first headset, I have decided to put my net gen console money into getting a g2 and pc upgrade instead. I just enjoy VR that much.

Speaking of console generations, I think its kind of fun that in the space of a console generation, we went from ps4/xbone to ps5/xbonexxx-vs-sever where you can say "eh, yeah i mean, yeah it looks nicer and all. 4k is pretty cool i guess", we also went from John Carmack showing off at E3, a duct taped 640x800 resolution, 3dof thing he had to hack together gyro firmware from his rocket company just to have a usable latency, and the only software was his rough port of doom 3, to where we are today with stand alone stuff like the quest, and high end PC stuff.

Controllers and hand tracking, lots of quality games built from the ground up, 4k and up screens, 144hz refresh rates, and everything else in the time consoles went from "hey we can make similar looking games in 4k now with some ray tracing dusted on top!".

Its crazy.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SCheeseman posted:

It's Reverb G2 exclusive at first.

I'm not sure how the hell they're going to get it to run well, Flight Sim is extremely CPU limited and it struggles to even hit 45fps at times.

This is why Oculus invented ASW. To carry all the flight sim developers on their back.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Currently chilling in Vivecraft with shaders, biome & foliage mods, fishin' and drinkin on a lake. Minecraft women love me, fish fear me. Highly recommend 10/10

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FalconImpala posted:

Currently chilling in Vivecraft with shaders, biome & foliage mods, fishin' and drinkin on a lake. Minecraft women love me, fish fear me. Highly recommend 10/10

Man I haven't played minecraft since the beta days but that does sound like a good time.

Installing vivecraft now, any shaders you recommend for VR?

E: Ah vivecraft includes optifine

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 23, 2020

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Zaphod42 posted:

Man I haven't played minecraft since the beta days but that does sound like a good time.

Installing vivecraft now, any shaders you recommend for VR?

Depends how good your PC is, cause VR takes its own chunk. BSL Shaders on Low work for me, Continuum would be the gold standard.
For other mods, Ambient Sounds is a must. Dynamic Trees, Biomes-o-Plenty, Serene Seasons, Streams, HarvestCraft & Millenaire... basically my little heaven on earth. It's a mix of VR hiking, Stardew Valley, and a loving horror game in the caves with a torch in one hand and sword in the other. My favorite VR game(mod) by far.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

The word you're looking for is motion compensation. The current solutions for it seem to use the driver hooking method.

Here's a recent thread of devs begging Valve for motion compensation support.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/issues/1419

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's really weird. I often loving hated the controls in TWD Saints and Sinners to the point that I canned playing it on PSVR. But then rebought it on sale for PC, which was a huge step up from PSVR, but ultimately still found the controls really sloppy and annoying so I put it on hiatus.

3 night ago I fired it back up and the controls are... mostly very good? I honestly don't know what the heck wasn't clicking in my brain and making me drop things all over, and stick knives one inch into zombie heads, incapable of actually finishing the job, or not being able to aim guns at all. It's not even like I didn't get how the game worked with its whole weighting system system. It just didn't feel right and now it does. It's like there was some mental learning curve I jumped for no apparent reason.

At least I'm enjoying it quite a bit now. It's still rough around the edges but it's a very fun game for the most part, and pretty ambitious as a VR game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nalin posted:

The Facebook Container addon does some extra things that the Multi-Account Containers addon doesn't do, but you can use both at the same time.
Oh neat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Huuuuuge NMS update incoming. Especially looking forward to the increased terrain variety in VR

https://www.nomanssky.com/origins-update/

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Bishop Beo posted:

My experience with that was that it runs pretty poorly, and is way, way jankier than STALKER ever was. I ended up returning it pretty quick.

Yeah, I really wanted to like Into the Radius when I played it on Viveport, but I just couldn't get over the feeling that I was constantly wrestling with the controls. The enemies in the early game kind of just wander or jump directly at you while you desperately try to actually reload your pistol, but whoops, you dropped it. Really sucks, because a game with that kind of Tarkov-like loadout management would be extremely my poo poo in VR, but Radius just doesn't play terribly well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Huuuuuge NMS update incoming. Especially looking forward to the increased terrain variety in VR

https://www.nomanssky.com/origins-update/

For those who haven't tried it, NMS is a real good VR game. A lot of valid complaints about the game get washed away in VR, I feel, and it works as a cool, chill resource and explore game.

There is some UI jankiness in VR but it's not too bad. And even with my CV1 it did require some extra horsepower on PC to avoid FPS drops.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah also make sure SteamVR isn’t jacking your superscaling up to like 150%, which is what it did to me on NMS

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
All these games I'm locked out of for the next month and a half until I build a pc that can run vr :saddowns:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

All these games I'm locked out of for the next month and a half until I build a pc that can run vr :saddowns:

I just need my VR headset to actually ship, which is apparently another month away. :(

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Looks like my Index is about to be delivered before the Lighthouses. Is there any setup I can do without the latter?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lockback posted:

For those who haven't tried it, NMS is a real good VR game. A lot of valid complaints about the game get washed away in VR, I feel, and it works as a cool, chill resource and explore game.

I'll counter with I think it's an extremely shallow, mechanics-for-no-reason fatiguing experience that I've bounced off hard multiple times. I played it when it was brand new and not in VR, was disappointed then. Tried the new version of it in VR and bounced hard off it even with all it's mechanics and changes and upgrades.

It is most certainly not a universally liked game. By all try it but temper your expectations. I feel this game gets a lot of goodwill because they've been tirelessly adding to it and have dug themselves out of a PR hole.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lockback posted:

There is some UI jankiness in VR but it's not too bad. And even with my CV1 it did require some extra horsepower on PC to avoid FPS drops.

The spaceship controls killed it for me. I don't play in a setup where I can just grab a controller or something and the virtual joystick doesn't click for me.

Just let me use the sticks on my touch controller :negative:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lockback posted:

Can you use HOTAS in VR?

e: looks like nope :(

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 23, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KakerMix posted:

I'll counter with I think it's an extremely shallow, mechanics-for-no-reason fatiguing experience that I've bounced off hard multiple times. I played it when it was brand new and not in VR, was disappointed then. Tried the new version of it in VR and bounced hard off it even with all it's mechanics and changes and upgrades.

It is most certainly not a universally liked game. By all try it but temper your expectations. I feel this game gets a lot of goodwill because they've been tirelessly adding to it and have dug themselves out of a PR hole.

It’s definitely a game like Minecraft where if you’re looking for Minecraft game mechanics, you’ll like it and if you aren’t you’ll go “what is the point of smashing these blocks forever”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s definitely a game like Minecraft where if you’re looking for Minecraft game mechanics, you’ll like it and if you aren’t you’ll go “what is the point of smashing these blocks forever”

Yeah I think if they'd billed it like this from the get-go there would have been no controversy. I finally played it last week on games pass. It's ok and I like some of the exploration bits; it's fun to get baked and explore space.

But its ocean is miles wide and a yard deep, and this becomes very obvious once you put a little time in it. That's fine for some,if that's all you want, but even now I feel like it bills itself as one thing while offering another.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In reality I wish it could be rolled together with elite dangerous to form the perfect space game

ED has amazing flying and ship physics and just playing space trucker is hours of fun, but it’s planetary landing stuff is always garbage. The planets are literal giant balls of rock with the occasional cut and paste base and nothing else. The lander handles like someone standing in a canoe. Very boring/frustrating

NMS has great planetary exploration with lots of variation and vegetation (even more so after this patch apparently) and the planets really feel like alien worlds. The space travel is kinda garbage though and only serves to get you from one place to the next

Both are great in VR and would be perfect mixed together

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I didn't like NMS in not VR but found it much more enjoyable in VR. The space flight stuff is not particularly good but its just a travel mechanism. As a resource VR game its good and the "go to a new world and see what you can find" is a cool variation on the minecraft-like.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah also make sure SteamVR isn’t jacking your superscaling up to like 150%, which is what it did to me on NMS

Even with scaling to 100% my 1070 had issues. Though that was a while ago, on a 2080S it was fine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Did they ever make multiplayer on nms worth anything? Last I looked it seemed like all you actually got were glowing balls moving around to represent other players, and could talk, but that was it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah they’re fully articulated real beings now and you can play pretty much any part of the game with them. Once you team up it’s basically co-op

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, it's full multiplayer. Some of the mission/Story stuff gets wonky (especially at the beginning) if you are doing co-op but the actual gameplay is 100%.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Man dang I'll counter against this too. It is nothing like Minecraft. NMS never, ever grabbed me, lacks similar character, and just doesn't have whatever it is Minecraft has.

Granted Minecraft to me is modded to the hilt and I was into it so much that we built a business around specifically modding Minecraft (that's still going today wow) but I don't think they are similar at all. No Man's Sky is only like Minecraft in the most superficial ways IMHO.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
building in minecraft has a different feeling in terms of "your" space. every block you place and design you do for what you setup feels like it has a bit more personal value than the building in NMS. I imagine VR helps with this somewhat, but just placing the prefab blocks and everything for the buildings feels disconnected from the play experience.

some of the NMS updates helped with the flow of this, but it feels way to video gamey for the sake of video gamey. the sense of scale in NMS is also another detriment to having this space of your own. both games are infinite, but you are much more grounded in minecraft in terms of your surroundings.

...there isn't official minecraft in VR is there?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m not saying they are alike in gameplay at all. I’m saying that they gameplay in each is something you’ll grab into if you want that very specific thing it brings.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Voxx posted:

building in minecraft has a different feeling in terms of "your" space. every block you place and design you do for what you setup feels like it has a bit more personal value than the building in NMS. I imagine VR helps with this somewhat, but just placing the prefab blocks and everything for the buildings feels disconnected from the play experience.

some of the NMS updates helped with the flow of this, but it feels way to video gamey for the sake of video gamey. the sense of scale in NMS is also another detriment to having this space of your own. both games are infinite, but you are much more grounded in minecraft in terms of your surroundings.

...there isn't official minecraft in VR is there?

There is, but it isn't as good as Vivecraft is both in implementation and features, though it has a bit more polish.

It's WMR, PSVR and Oculus only, too. No SteamVR support, ReVive doesn't work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I did not enjoy the Minecraft VR experience. The motion controls did basically nothing, you still had to hit a button to mine and hit enemies which was pretty immersion breaking. Dunno if they changed it. Without shaders the environment just didn't grab me in VR (I don't mind it in screen), and I found it pretty offputting.

Vivecraft looks much better but I haven't given that a try yet.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

RFC2324 posted:

The spaceship controls killed it for me. I don't play in a setup where I can just grab a controller or something and the virtual joystick doesn't click for me.

Just let me use the sticks on my touch controller :negative:

Enos Cabell posted:

Can you use HOTAS in VR?

e: looks like nope :(

Reposting this since it's relevant again

...there are a few nifty mods using those magnet/ball things for mounting cell phones for the hand controllers to give you some degree of kinematics so poo poo like No Man's Sky or VTOL VR can be flown with some level of ease and precision. There's ones on etsy, Protube makes a predictably overpriced one and variations on thingieverse and adapter cups for all types of controllers. Nothing for throttles yet as far as I know but this is still a big improvement and super easy to make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKi2W2H_JY

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ets1hc/index_controller_magnetic_release_flight_stick/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

And if you've lowered it previously, double check it. Some people are having it reset from some recent updates.