Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If the former owners of Beat Games weren't rich before, they sure as hell are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

SCheeseman posted:

I should probably add links to stores that sell those lens inserts to the OP, but I don't wear glasses so I know jack poo poo about all that. Anyone got any experience with them?

I'm very happy with these 3d printed magnetic lens inserts from this Etsy shop - if you have access to a 3d printer there's a direct link to the file on Thingiverse somewhere on that page.

The inserts are designed to fit the lenses from a specific ultra-barebones pair of glasses from Zenni Optical (~$10+ depending on prescription strength/lens coatings/etc) so scratches/prescription changes are nbd. Downside is that the magnetic clasp probably makes these inserts a little more bulky than others, but I think the tradeoff is worth the convenience for sure.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Origami Dali posted:

If the former owners of Beat Games weren't rich before, they sure as hell are now.

"In a blog post, the company acknowledged as much, “We understand and appreciate the value that modding brings to Beat Saber when done so legally and within our policies. We’re going to do our best to preserve the value that mods bring to the Beat Saber player base.”

BUH BYE.

With no mods it'll be pretty lackluster.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Origami Dali posted:

Wonder if Disney will sue for lightsaber royalties now that it's Facebook. Even Motorola Droids had to license the name.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Wonder if Disney will sue for lightsaber royalties now that it's Facebook. Even Motorola Droids had to license the name.

The word saber isn’t trade marked. Or something. And they changed the default models to not be an actual light saber.

They went through that early on if I’m not mistaken.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just don’t update your beat saber to whatever version is Facebook-ized. Keep your mods, keep your songs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zero VGS posted:

"droid" is a registered trademark, even though android isn't, which is funny.

Saber is a word, a type of sword. Only "Lightsaber" is a trademark.

So you can have "Android Saber" and Disney can't do poo poo.

Energy swords definitely aren't a copyrighted concept. As long as it doesn't look specifically like Luke's or Vader's, it doesn't make the same noise, and you don't call it a "lightsaber" specifically, you can get away with it. (IANAL)

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Looks like the Autumn sale has started. Guess it's time to try out windlands 2.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

cheesetriangles posted:

Can't wait for Facebook to ruin another thing just like they ruined Democracy.

This is such a bummer. Facebook and Oculus can eat a dick. Beatsaber didn't need an acquisition, you can't rest on the laurels of "It wouldn't exist without facebook money!" This is just straight up poo poo and we'll all suffer for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skyarb posted:

This is such a bummer. Facebook and Oculus can eat a dick. Beatsaber didn't need an acquisition, you can't rest on the laurels of "It wouldn't exist without facebook money!" This is just straight up poo poo and we'll all suffer for it.

Don't worry; "This is just the beginning"! I swear you can just about see Mike Verdu twirling a waxed moustache.

EbolaIvory posted:

The word saber isn’t trade marked. Or something. And they changed the default models to not be an actual light saber.

They went through that early on if I’m not mistaken.

I recall hearing something about it too, but Google turns up nothing.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
gently caress :(

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Skyarb posted:

I think you greatly underestimate just how much of Beat Saber was already getting shipped with massive engineering, marketing, and licensing support from Oculus, and how big the spectre of music industry litigiousness really is.

Third party songs could easily have killed them through no fault of their own so long as the wrong music company felt like crushing them. How much are you willing to bet that keeping LucasArts happy for Vader Immortal is why Beat Saber wasn’t announced as a Quest launch title alongside everyone else?

If they enable crossbuy and refund duplicate licenses then I think that’ll be a small win.

This isn’t exactly an undisputed Good Thing, but with other studios that we’re making Oculus exclusive AA or AAA games getting plucked away with acquisitions it kind of makes sense that this is the one to secure. For all we know, there were multiple bidders anyways.

tl;dr: shrug

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
OK, so the Quest is high on my mind but I see people making the case for the Samsung Odyssey+ since it’s on sale for $229.

They’re both OLED and they both have mechanical IPD adjustment. The Quest has a 72hz display while the Odyssey+ has 90hz which makes it a bit more attractive for sim stuff. When I had the Rift S for a week before returning due to IPD issues, I did enjoy the Touch controllers and the Odyssey+’s WMR controllers look... jank?

What would be the better option down the line for games life Half-Life: Alyx, Elite: Dangerous and No Man’s Sky?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
If you want non-poo poo controllers and adjustable physical IPD and want to play HL:A when it comes out I think Quest comes out ahead.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HTC sells refurb Vives for $400 if you want to go that route, also

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

homeless snail posted:

HTC sells refurb Vives for $400 if you want to go that route, also

Base stations are an absolute non-starter for me unfortunately. It's one of the reasons why I gravitated to the Rift S originally.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

OK, so the Quest is high on my mind but I see people making the case for the Samsung Odyssey+ since it’s on sale for $229.

They’re both OLED and they both have mechanical IPD adjustment. The Quest has a 72hz display while the Odyssey+ has 90hz which makes it a bit more attractive for sim stuff. When I had the Rift S for a week before returning due to IPD issues, I did enjoy the Touch controllers and the Odyssey+’s WMR controllers look... jank?

What would be the better option down the line for games life Half-Life: Alyx, Elite: Dangerous and No Man’s Sky?

I'd say overall the Quest is the better value because you would probably end up using the standalone more than you think you would and it's going to be roughly comparable for PCVR, but if cash is a factor then $230 is a great value for getting an Odyssey+.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If you want non-poo poo controllers and adjustable physical IPD and want to play HL:A when it comes out I think Quest comes out ahead.

The Samsung Odyssey HMD's have physical IPD sliders, they're the only WMR headsets that do, but the Quest is probably still the better buy for the controllers, tracking radius, and standalone use.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think you greatly underestimate just how much of Beat Saber was already getting shipped with massive engineering, marketing, and licensing support from Oculus, and how big the spectre of music industry litigiousness really is.

Third party songs could easily have killed them through no fault of their own so long as the wrong music company felt like crushing them.

I think this is going to be worse for mods since there wasn't much reason for the music industry to sue a small developer versus getting free money from Facebook.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have used both, but the Odyssey+ has a lousy sweetspot (yes it has physical IPD adjust but the band makes the headset "hover" in front of you like a PSVR and you can't draw it close enough to your face), and in my opinion loving horrible controllers. Though I'll admit their "screen-door reduction filter" works as advertised.

The Quest gets you the same resolution, much better controllers (more accurate, ergonomic, and batteries last like 10 times as long), a "just works" home and storefront, easier setup, and this is all before factoring in that plenty of games will run locally on it. You might be interested in Half-Life and NMS but eventually you might see games of that scope that will run natively on the Quest and will appreciate being able to play in a larger area like a living room, or showing it to friends.

If you can afford the extra $170, you won't miss it. The Odyssey is abandonware, while the Quest is getting built-in finger tracking (I playtested it for them and it works well already), Carmack is allegedly going to improve the Oculus Link quality, and the Wifi Streaming apps like Virtual Desktop continuously get better (and newer GPU generations will reduce encoding latency for even less than the already negligible lag). The Quest has a lot more support and "promise", and some other nice perks like the ability to get a Vive Deluxe Strap on the cheap for added comfort, etc.

Last but not least, the Quest currently gets you all the Star Wars games for free when you buy it. I'd recommend getting it from Walmart as I can confirm have a 90-day return on it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cool, thanks for the input guys. Sounds more saner than the Reddit fanaticism I've been coming across.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Has there ever been on a sale on the Valve Index? What are the odds between now and March that this thing sees a discount? I assume slim to none but I haven't followed VR on PC...ever. So what do I know?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Another question I had about the Quest, how is the Chromecast streaming support for the video? I'm only going off of the video Giantbomb did on the Quest the day it launched and it seemed barely functional, being able to stream to an external device seemed like a real cool idea so people could see what you were looking at but it seemed like it needed work.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Has there ever been on a sale on the Valve Index?

No, not so far.

quote:

What are the odds between now and March that this thing sees a discount? I assume slim to none but I haven't followed VR on PC...ever. So what do I know?

Slim to none is probably optimistic, at least for the rest of this year. I'd put money on it staying $1000 at least through the end of the 2019 when the Alyx bonus content promo ends.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

explosivo posted:

Another question I had about the Quest, how is the Chromecast streaming support for the video? I'm only going off of the video Giantbomb did on the Quest the day it launched and it seemed barely functional, being able to stream to an external device seemed like a real cool idea so people could see what you were looking at but it seemed like it needed work.

I haven't used it in a while, but it worked ok when I did. You can also stream it to your phone (you still need to be on the same wifi network, though). I do know they expanded the types of chromecasts it works on.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

FBS posted:

No, not so far.

Slim to none is probably optimistic, at least for the rest of this year. I'd put money on it staying $1000 at least through the end of the 2019 when the Alyx bonus content promo ends.

:(

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hey I'm in the same boat since the HDMI cable on my CV1 Rift has started to poo poo the bed. :smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Considering how many people are going to buy a new Index just to play the new Half Life game, there won’t be a sale for a long time, probably not till next Xmas.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

I think this is going to be worse for mods since there wasn't much reason for the music industry to sue a small developer versus getting free money from Facebook.

The narrative that all companies actions have to be one step removed from money is dumb and frequently untrue (because it might be less than direct).

Not defending trademarks is why Xerox and Kleenex are allowed to be generic terms now. I know this is copyright and not trademarks, but the music industry is famously litigious and this is partly why (even though I disagree about some of the details this is definitely part of their calculations). Dispatching another form letter from their army of lawyers is totally their jam.

tl;dr there is a reason but it’s more strategic and less direct.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Third party songs could easily have killed them through no fault of their own so long as the wrong music company felt like crushing them. How much are you willing to bet that keeping LucasArts happy for Vader Immortal is why Beat Saber wasn’t announced as a Quest launch title alongside everyone else?

If they enable crossbuy and refund duplicate licenses then I think that’ll be a small win.

This isn’t exactly an undisputed Good Thing, but with other studios that we’re making Oculus exclusive AA or AAA games getting plucked away with acquisitions it kind of makes sense that this is the one to secure. For all we know, there were multiple bidders anyways.

tl;dr: shrug

This is some wild imaginary scenarios you are running through to defend a multi-billion dollar company who at drat nearly every turn has done highly dubious and unethical poo poo but hey man you do you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cartoon Man posted:

Considering how many people are going to buy a new Index just to play the new Half Life game, there won’t be a sale for a long time, probably not till next Xmas.

HL: Alyx boosting Index hardware sales to the top of the Steam sales chart probably obliterates the odds of a discount anytime soon, just because it'd piss off the people that who dropped anywhere between several hundred dollars to a full grand in just the past few weeks. Especially when Valve's the only one selling them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I guess we need to start archiving Beat Saber builds to be not left out eventually, because if one intent is to curb "illicit modding", you can bet your rear end that the first thing they'll do is to run all the .NET IL through an obfuscator.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

this campaign level in beat saber with a hand movement goal is total poo poo

just, why

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I guess we need to start archiving Beat Saber builds to be not left out eventually, because if one intent is to curb "illicit modding", you can bet your rear end that the first thing they'll do is to run all the .NET IL through an obfuscator.

Watch the TOS change to include something about metadata collection too, I'd wager.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

this campaign level in beat saber with a hand movement goal is total poo poo

just, why
Don't even bother with the campaign, it just gets worse the deeper you get

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I recall hearing something about it too, but Google turns up nothing.

Something something PS4 release, Something sony something trademarks something.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Would the 64 or 128 gigabyte version of the Quest be better to get? The lack of a microSD slot and impending release of bigger games like Alyx makes me worry 64 gigs might not be enough, but from the sound of things any of those big games would just be on the computer and connected via Oculus Link anyway. Would that be correct?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Link doesn’t move the games to the Quest or run them locally, it just streams them from your desktop. That storage only matters for games you play on the Quest itself, and if you want to watch movies and stuff.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Outside of all the discussions of the ethics or whatever, I wonder if Sony buying Insomniac didn't shake them a bit. Considering all the work they did with insomniac previously including their big current release, and how there now won't be any more insomniac games outside of PSVR. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in discussions with Ready at Dawn and some other studios that would be on Sony's radar, right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Bee posted:

Would the 64 or 128 gigabyte version of the Quest be better to get? The lack of a microSD slot and impending release of bigger games like Alyx makes me worry 64 gigs might not be enough, but from the sound of things any of those big games would just be on the computer and connected via Oculus Link anyway. Would that be correct?

Yeah, Link is just treating the Quest like a 'dumb' peripheral where your computer is doing everything. The one kinda sorta thing is any PC games that also feature cross buy with the Quest you would need space if you want to use it on the quest away from your PC, but thats not really any different than any old quest game running locally. Most of the Quest games are fairly small, not sure if there are even any yet over 2gb in size

The bigger reason to have more space is if you want to store a lot of media on it, especially 3d movies or things like that.