Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is a Quest 2 much of an upgrade over the original Quest? Been thinking about uprading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kazy posted:

Is a Quest 2 much of an upgrade over the original Quest? Been thinking about uprading.

IMO huge. ITs night and day to me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually said they need any Lighthouse headset to begin with, that was in response to them specifically wanting a wireless Index. A Vive Pro's about as close as they're gonna get, getting an OG Vive is both difficult (Covid, second-hand, etc) and a massive step back in visual fidelity from a Quest 2.

I'd have suggested the Pro 2, but it might've seemed like it'd have been a shade too pricey and it's not out yet.

You dont need a lighthouse headset at all is my point dude. They wanna use this wacky pen and tracked stuff, you need some lighthouses and an ini edit with ANY headset that sees steamvr. So yeah. oculus + light houses works just fine. Its just really dumb to go that route unless you get a deal on light houses n poo poo. But its not required to use a LH based headset.

So yeah. shrugemojixl

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kazy posted:

It's a huge upgrade, it's smaller, more comfortable, higher refresh rate and resolution, more powerful internals and way better controller battery life. If you can sell your OG Quest for a decent price and are fine with the Zuck Tax then upgrading is a no brainer.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Tbh its a bigger upgrade if you use it standalone. I use my Q1 (and a borrowed Q2 for a while) exclusively as a PC headset via Link (can't afford a 5ghz router) and the difference wasn't that huge.
Also I prefer the Q1 controllers.

However, standalone? I think that the Q1 is soon gonna be obsolete with how many games are coming out as Q2 exclusive, so us might wanna trade up somehow.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I finally tried gorilla tag for the first time and there was a swarm of child voices, and the first thing that happened was someone landed in front of me and started groping me. I got intimidated and bailed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I tried doing a beat saber clean install now that I’m using the PC version more (airlink loving owns) but I cannot get it working again. Has ModAssistant not been updated or something? A clean install works fine but trying to mod it again just loads a black screen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

caldrax posted:

I finally tried gorilla tag for the first time and there was a swarm of child voices, and the first thing that happened was someone landed in front of me and started groping me. I got intimidated and bailed.

If you go back, next time you'll start in a treehouse with a computer in it. Use that computer to make a private room and go in on your own. I found it way more fun bouncing around on my own as I figured out the mechanics, way less pressure.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

caldrax posted:

Just needed racial slurs for online VR bingo.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Hey VR buds, I'm getting ready to build a new computer for the first time in 7 years. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

Is there any particular component I need to make sure I get X instead of Y to make sure my new machine can rip poo poo up like crazy in VR? Anything I should try to make sure I have for QOL poo poo? Thresholds I absolutely shouldn't go below etc?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What spec and price are you looking at? Unless you're going budget then modern games are extremely good at looking and running great on basically any build. I'm still on a 1060 and the only game I've had to run at low settings, VR or otherwise, is Alyx, and that runs smooth as butter and looks great.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The main issue with building right now is there are no video cards.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah video cards are essentially non-existent unless you want to pay 2 or 3 times what they're worth. I've been trying for the better part of a year to get my hands on a 3080 and I've just given up. I only hope my card doesn't die before things go back to normal. And that's assuming that they will which isn't really a given.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JonathonSpectre posted:

Hey VR buds, I'm getting ready to build a new computer for the first time in 7 years. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

Is there any particular component I need to make sure I get X instead of Y to make sure my new machine can rip poo poo up like crazy in VR? Anything I should try to make sure I have for QOL poo poo? Thresholds I absolutely shouldn't go below etc?

There is a catch/edge case to be aware of in that early Ryzen mobo's aren't compatible with the Vive wireless adapter, if you're looking at something high-end and wireless like the Cosmos Elite, or Vive Pro, but I believe that's fixed in more recent models(?). And a non-issue if you go Intel or just want a tethered PC headset.

I'd say go with a Ryzen mobo and CPU myself, as you'll get relatively-similar performance for much cheaper and have a mobo socket that's more likely to actually be compatible with newer CPU's down the line. Get yourself an nVm drive as your main OS drive and use that for your VR gaming. :rice:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Basically the same specs for flat Video games is what you need for VR. GPUs are more important in VR since you're usually pushing a lot of pixels, but in general the requirements aren't that bad.

Radeon GPUs have had a few corner case problems with how they render VR and per dollar I don't think they were quite as good performance, but I don't know anyone with a recent AMD GPU so :shrug:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

explosivo posted:

Yeah video cards are essentially non-existent unless you want to pay 2 or 3 times what they're worth. I've been trying for the better part of a year to get my hands on a 3080 and I've just given up. I only hope my card doesn't die before things go back to normal. And that's assuming that they will which isn't really a given.

Buy a prebuilt, yank it, sell the prebuilt.

All hardwares hard to find. Its kinda stupid right now. I've been trying to build a 5950/3090 rig for months.

mutata posted:

The main issue with building right now is there are no video cards.

Unless you buy a prebuilt and pay like 200 bucks for a build fee. NZXT is as close to retail as ive found.

Honestly, I'm gonna end up the nzxt route i think

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

caldrax posted:

It's clever that the tutorial is integrated into joining a random public lobby, but I had the same experience. I heard a bunch of squeakers yelling off in the distance and before I even went down to join them I noped out of the game. I have like two friends who play VR, not a lot of people to do multiplayer with and I'm not going to VR with a bunch of 10 year olds.

Otherwise the game is probably good, I wouldn't know though :shrug:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The lack of video cards is so upsetting. My wife got me a Quest 2 for my birthday and I'm loving playing it standalone but I reeeally want to play Alyx and my gaming PC is hilariously underpowered for that (Intel 3570K, 680 GTX). I'd been putting off upgrading it because I didn't have a compelling reason to, now I finally have one and I can't. :smith:

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Completely unrelated, but the thread title forced me to google Supaplex after a sudden flashback and now I have been listening to the soundtrack for 30 minutes

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

King Vidiot posted:

It's clever that the tutorial is integrated into joining a random public lobby, but I had the same experience. I heard a bunch of squeakers yelling off in the distance and before I even went down to join them I noped out of the game. I have like two friends who play VR, not a lot of people to do multiplayer with and I'm not going to VR with a bunch of 10 year olds.

Otherwise the game is probably good, I wouldn't know though :shrug:

When I had my sister play from the intro, she was having a blast trying to do the back and forth megaman x wall climb. Like, was spending 10 minutes laughing and desperately trying to get up, the group was laughing and telling her to take the stairs, yelling out tips on how to move. It was a great time!

Then, once she had finally made it, she was charging toward the clearing... but the moment she heard other people faintly, she stopped dead and asked if those were other people. I told her to take a peek to find out, and the moment she got closer to the edge and the lobby chatter got louder, she the noped gently caress out. She was pretty distressed and took off the headset quickly.

For me, it was a beautiful experience. But I did play during the first actual couple days of release, and I'm also used to insane online lobbies. For me it was a pleasant experience.

I wonder if there is a way you can check to see if someone is more social before they even start. Make it subtle, because the training area is fairly subtle and having a "DO YOU WANT TO JOIN A LOBBY" question preceding that would deflate the joy some people get from gorilla walking into an actual lobby

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have an index and I gotta say, I’m sorely tempted to pick up a Q2. 300 bucks seems like so little. Especially with all the poo poo they’ve been adding since release. Display refresh rate update, better virtual desktop support (and thus better wireless PCVR? I’m not fully up on the quest world) and now camera based finger tracking, too?! Higher res display, although it looks like I’d be losing about 20 degrees on the fov vertically and horizontally, but if that itself doesn’t bother me, that makes the pixel density even better by my reckoning.

If there are Index-havers here who now have a Q2, I’d love your input.

I have no idea how much a used Index might go for, or if I’d even want to sell it or keep it around, but even if I only get half what I paid, that’s drat near two Q2s. And if they’re all they appear to be, that’s insane.

I’m guessing 90% of my usage would be wireless PCVR, so if any trip reports can be couched in that, that’d help.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.vrfitnessinsider.com/smash-drums-release-date/

quote:

Smash Drums is set to release next month on June 17, 2021, and will be coming to both Oculus Quest devices initially. If you’re looking to pick the game up for yourself, the game will retail for $19.99.

I liked the demo, one of the better things in App Lab. I wonder how many songs will bring by that price.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bad Munki posted:

I have an index and I gotta say, I’m sorely tempted to pick up a Q2. 300 bucks seems like so little. Especially with all the poo poo they’ve been adding since release. Display refresh rate update, better virtual desktop support (and thus better wireless PCVR? I’m not fully up on the quest world) and now camera based finger tracking, too?! Higher res display, although it looks like I’d be losing about 20 degrees on the fov vertically and horizontally, but if that itself doesn’t bother me, that makes the pixel density even better by my reckoning.

I have no idea how much a used Index might go for, or if I’d even want to sell it or keep it around, but even if I only get half what I paid, that’s drat near two Q2s. And if they’re all they appear to be, that’s insane.

I’m guessing 90% of my usage would be wireless PCVR, so if any trip reports can be couched in that, that’d help.

I have both and I only use my Q2 now. My original plan was to keep my Index for seated games, but the Q2 having a better display was too good for flight sims to go back to the Index.

The Index controllers feel much better, but not enough that I really noticed after like 30m of play. Definitely pick up the Kiwi hand straps for the Q2, most of the others seem to be for the Q1 and/or are poo poo. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PP8SW2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Things seemed much sharper on the Index, almost like the Q2 has some kind of post processing going on. Small text and displays are so much more readable on Q2, so I don't really care about the lack of sharpness.

Wireless in games like H3VR is just so good there is no comparison. I know some people can ignore the cable, but in a game like that where you turn so much, I felt like I was dealing with the cable after every hold.

Edit: Field of View is noticeably worse, that and the sharpness are my only real gripes. You do need to factor in a $50(Elite)-$100(DAS Frankenquest) strap. I have the elite, but probably going to go Frankenquest.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 15, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
A girl I dated introduced me to how VR worked, so I just picked up a quest 2 using a gamestop gift card I wanted to get rid of.

I just body slammed Tyler Durden into the Marlboro Man in drunkn bar fight. 10 out of 10, can't wait till I get a better video card so I can play some more demanding games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bondematt posted:

Things seemed much sharper on the Index, almost like the Q2 has some kind of post processing going on. Small text and displays are so much more readable on Q2, so I don't really care about the lack of sharpness.

Well, for pc vr what you see is a compressed stream video, that would explain the 'post processing' feel. It's the weak point of the device. It's interesting how at the same time the higher res can also be noticed.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

yeah the video compression can be very noticeable for some things. the "friendly 45" range in h3vr looks terrible if you are scrutinizing the video quality.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bondematt posted:

That’s super interesting, thank you.

quote:

Wireless in games like H3VR is just so good there is no comparison. I know some people can ignore the cable, but in a game like that where you turn so much, I felt like I was dealing with the cable after every hold.

Tea For God is what really highlighted the burden of a tether to me. I can’t even imagine playing that wirelessly on a large arena, it’d be amazing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, for pc vr what you see is a compressed stream video, that would explain the 'post processing' feel. It's the weak point of the device. It's interesting how at the same time the higher res can also be noticed.

That would make sense. I think maybe my brain is expecting better sharpness with the increased resolution, and it's not there?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Ok. I finally bought thrill of the fight. Now I need a new foam face thing that doesn’t soak up sweat. This is disgusting.

Is there a recommended replacement?

E: forgot to add that it’s for the quest 2.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 15, 2021

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Bondematt posted:

I have both and I only use my Q2 now. My original plan was to keep my Index for seated games, but the Q2 having a better display was too good for flight sims to go back to the Index.

Same story here, except I still use my index for seated/steam games occasionally. I just end up using the quest 2 a lot more often, pretty much every day. For me it’s because because of the much lower friction of putting it on and using it in a larger space, and because I’ve gotten hooked for the past month or two of doing the quest fitness daily tracker goals.

I’ll go my 45 minutes/250+ calories of beat saber or pistol whip in the quest then start to think about playing some other game… but often just play some random quest 2 native game rather than bust out the index or sitting down for a flatscreen game, just because it’s faster and easier in the moment.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bad Munki posted:

I sold my Index after getting the Q2, I found the resolution of the Q2 much more impressive than the Index's increased FOV.

I'm not sure what the market is like currently, but I sold my used Index for the full price I paid a few months ago. I probably could have gotten $1200 if I felt like waiting a little longer on my craigslist post.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

Own both, Use my index 99% of the time.

Reason? FOV and comfort. I have hundreds of dollars of accessories for my quest 2, including limited editions of all kinds of vrcover things.

NOTHING is as comfy as a stock index. Nothing.

I honestly only own my quest anymore primarily for travel and game testing.

Its not that its a bad headset. Please, Like i still slap it on for virtual desktop sometimes so I can play games in the yard, or whatever. But when I'm going to spend hours in my headset, playing a game, I have the index sitting here, its no more effort to put it on than my quest other than technically its a cord and cable but again, you've already dedicated space so for you and I its the literal same poo poo.

I personally do not understand how people are going backwards to a quest 2 from an index and im far from a index fanboy lemme tell ya.

Now should you buy one?

yeah. I mean if you can light 300 on fire please, buy one, they rule and its a great headset to slap on guests, travel with, use on the couch sometimes. I just again, have no idea how someone can go backwards to that FOV and lack of comfort and be happy.

Like I'm stunned this many people are "happy" going back. More power to em, but id buy the thing and try it before committing for sure. Not as a sole headset anyways.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 15, 2021

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dear Watson posted:

Ok. I finally bought thrill of the fight. Now I need a new foam face thing that doesn’t soak up sweat. This is disgusting.

I use a generic silicone cover with a terry cloth headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dear Watson posted:

https://us.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-foam-replacement-set-for-oculus%E2%84%A2-quest-2-thrillseeker-edition

Linked thrills because I like pink. They have other colors and stuff tho. Skip all the generics, just buy these and if you have any issues email the customer service people they rule.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Buy the silicone cover, plus this: https://us.vrcover.com/products/vr-cover-for-oculus%E2%84%A2-quest-2

You need something to absorb sweat, or the lenses will fog up something fierce during exercise. The silicone cover plus the cloth cover is great, because you get two cloth covers and can throw one in the wash.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone have any experience with the VR Cover Cool XG Foam replacements? I already own the fabric covers but was going to grab the silicone cover to use with it, then I saw this in there and I'm intrigued. Looks like maybe I couldn't use the fabric cover with these?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Buy the silicone cover, plus this: https://us.vrcover.com/products/vr-cover-for-oculus%E2%84%A2-quest-2

You need something to absorb sweat, or the lenses will fog up something fierce during exercise. The silicone cover plus the cloth cover is great, because you get two cloth covers and can throw one in the wash.

https://amzn.to/3btPdK8

These cost less money, are less annoying, and dont build sweat up inside a thing right next to your headset.

Standard bandannas rule too. Whatever really. But those are easy.

explosivo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the VR Cover Cool XG Foam replacements? I already own the fabric covers but was going to grab the silicone cover to use with it, then I saw this in there and I'm intrigued. Looks like maybe I couldn't use the fabric cover with these?

Did you already buy the replacement facial interface thing? Because thats just pads and require the kit thing.

I haven't personally used those specific ones. I'm intrigued though.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Thanks everyone. I’ll try some of these out. My quest was still wet like an hour after playing omg

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bondematt posted:

That would make sense. I think maybe my brain is expecting better sharpness with the increased resolution, and it's not there?

For PC VR, you have to increase the resolution in the settings to very high levels (1.7x, as per one of the Oculus) to really have all the pixel density the screen allows, taking in account the distortion done by the lens. So I hope you have a 3080 or 3090 around.

In reality Quest 2 is a werid device, hardware wise, because it has a very high screen but the integrated gpu doesn't have enough power to really move that big amount of pixels with any detail, and PC which potentially can have the power, it's impaired because the stream tech doesn't produce a 100% clear image.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 15, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

EbolaIvory posted:

Did you already buy the replacement facial interface thing? Because thats just pads and require the kit thing.

I haven't personally used those specific ones. I'm intrigued though.

No I haven't, I did notice that was a requirement of those cool ones though.

Eh, just gonna get the silicone one. I didn't realize you can't just buy the interface, you have to get it with the foam replacement too which is $30, so all in all it's $60 to use those other ones.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EbolaIvory posted:

Own both, Use my index 99% of the time.

Reason? FOV and comfort. I have hundreds of dollars of accessories for my quest 2, including limited editions of all kinds of vrcover things.

NOTHING is as comfy as a stock index. Nothing.

I honestly only own my quest anymore primarily for travel and game testing.

Its not that its a bad headset. Please, Like i still slap it on for virtual desktop sometimes so I can play games in the yard, or whatever. But when I'm going to spend hours in my headset, playing a game, I have the index sitting here, its no more effort to put it on than my quest other than technically its a cord and cable but again, you've already dedicated space so for you and I its the literal same poo poo.

I personally do not understand how people are going backwards to a quest 2 from an index and im far from a index fanboy lemme tell ya.

Now should you buy one?

yeah. I mean if you can light 300 on fire please, buy one, they rule and its a great headset to slap on guests, travel with, use on the couch sometimes. I just again, have no idea how someone can go backwards to that FOV and lack of comfort and be happy.

Like I'm stunned this many people are "happy" going back. More power to em, but id buy the thing and try it before committing for sure. Not as a sole headset anyways.

This opposing opinion speaks specifically to a number of adjacent concerns, thanks, it’s appreciated.

All in all, it sounds like if I’m going to do it, I need to just try one out (either by buying or ???) and then seeing how I personally feel about it. Which I sort of knew was the situation anyhow, I suppose.

Anyone in the Des Moines area with a Quest 2 wanna do a demo for me? I’m all juiced up on Pfizer and have worked from home since 2008 🤣