Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

those prices physically pain me to read

$2k is about a fortnights pay before tax at the lower mid range of salary.

A month of dole if you live at home and have no expenses (even less if you have 3 kids)

Now that we pay gst on imports it almost defeats the purpose of buying over seas
Considering youd easily get 3 years warrenty on something of that price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Meskhenet posted:

A month of dole if you live at home and have no expenses (even less if you have 3 kids)

$2k is also over four Quest 2s.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

and 4 facebook accounts :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meskhenet posted:

Now that we pay gst on imports it almost defeats the purpose of buying over seas
Considering youd easily get 3 years warrenty on something of that price

Speaking of the warranty, I actually locked in a preorder for a set of Index Controllers through EB Games despite owning a set from the USA. The left thumbstick on the set I have started drifting and oh, look, it seems to have been dodgy out of the box please fix or replace this for me Valve/EB Games :shrug:. Plus if they fail again, it's under a proper warranty now.

(I'll just sell off one of the sets for cheaper or something)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Release new Pistol Whip campaign already!

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Meskhenet posted:

and 4 facebook accounts :)

2 and 2/3 PS5's, then.

We got screwed on the price here, no reason to pretend otherwise.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Bondematt posted:

Got it figured out. I have to manually set the bitrate in Oculus Debugger, which is contrary to everything I have seen. If I leave it on dynamic, it drops to about the equivalent of 30 mbps. I just manually set it to 150 which seems to work fine.

Running DCS with 2x MSAA at max oculus resolution and boy does it look dope. MSAA is worth it to reduce the aliasing in the cockpit.

Glad you got it figured! Is the bitrate setting in Oculus dash just not working for you? If you hit the Oculus button while you are in airlink it will bring up dash, the far left button is airlink settings. You can set it to a fixed bitrate up to 200mbps.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dead Effect 2 appears by surprise in the App Lab
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3767727833315520/?utm_source=vrsort.com

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Airlink works great all default settings on Oculus 2
Wifi 6 router, not dedicated.

I have a Ryzen 3700x and a 3080 and now ya'll got me wanting to up settings until I get studders.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I have a Ryzen 3700x and a 3080 and now ya'll got me wanting to up settings until I get studders.

I wonder if it's better to go dedicated or to share the connection but turn off the 2 networks on the service provider browser to free up airspace

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Release new Pistol Whip campaign already!

Yes! And let me gently caress around with the new gun in the regular mode.

And get the modding community engaged. I want more songs!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

As a start, you may want to move the bandwidth slider to 200mbps.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

How's the Oculus Quest 2 version of Star Trek Bridge Crew?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

VegasGoat posted:

How's the Oculus Quest 2 version of Star Trek Bridge Crew?

it's Fine, but definitely abandoned so good luck if you run into issues. Joining friends was a colossal pain in the rear end because it's cross platform so everything goes through uplay. I think most issues I have with the game are just issues with the game and not necessarily the port or anything.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I've purged all motion sickness from my body with this game. Climbing and throwing yourself around like a monkey with a shotgun is super fun
https://i.imgur.com/1Hv2uep.mp4

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Communist Toast posted:

I've purged all motion sickness from my body with this game. Climbing and throwing yourself around like a monkey with a shotgun is super fun

:catstare: that looks awesome. I fear that my CV1-having cheap rear end won't be able to play though for some reason.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Turin Turambar posted:

As a start, you may want to move the bandwidth slider to 200mbps.
Oops yeah I had changed that, but it's still dynamic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Communist Toast posted:

What game is that?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Anyone using ReVive (theoretically allows you to use Oculus apps in SteamVR)?
I tried using it today but had a 100% failure rate with the software I tried.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What game is that?

Gun Raiders, it's a free game on Applab. Still in development, I recommended it a while back in the thread but they've added dashing and climbing since then and the pace of the game got way faster, I love it.

Id recommend muting voice chat if you pick it up tho. It has a small community many of which are very young and annoying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sarcastx posted:

Anyone using ReVive (theoretically allows you to use Oculus apps in SteamVR)?
I tried using it today but had a 100% failure rate with the software I tried.

Yeah a lot of us ITT use ReVive.

Works fine for me, no theoretically about it.

Did you make sure to follow the installation guide and do all the steps? You need to make sure to initialize the Oculus software and stuff.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I'm Kay. I kill people. With my SWORD!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you make sure to follow the installation guide and do all the steps? You need to make sure to initialize the Oculus software and stuff.

I followed the instructions on the GitHub page.
If there's a more complete guide you've got the link for I'd be in your debt.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Communist Toast posted:

Gun Raiders, it's a free game on Applab. Still in development, I recommended it a while back in the thread but they've added dashing and climbing since then and the pace of the game got way faster, I love it.

Id recommend muting voice chat if you pick it up tho. It has a small community many of which are very young and annoying.

I installed this back when you first posted it but got a minute into the tutorial and stopped for some reason and haven't been back, I might have to come check it out again because that looks dope and vomit inducing.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

I installed this back when you first posted it but got a minute into the tutorial and stopped for some reason and haven't been back, I might have to come check it out again because that looks dope and vomit inducing.

Honestly the thing that I find makes me the most queasy is smooth stick turning. I stand and physically turn my body to change direction and I don't get any motion sickness anymore, plus it feels way more immersive. If you pick the game up its good to know that climbing is the fastest way to move, treat the floor like lava and you'll zip around the map way faster than anyone else.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
After not touching it since it came out, I went back to mess around with Skyrim VR and fell down a deep modding hole this week. With the right mods, it's kind of incredible now, especially wireless.

Most notably there's now VRIK Player Avatar which gives you an actual body and arms in VR, allows you set custom holsters on your body so you can draw and sheathe weapons to equip them, and lets you use hand gestures to cast any spell or shout or equip any weapon or use any consumable.

Then there's HIGGS - Hand Interaction and Gravity Gloves which lets you pick up or move basically anything with your hands as opposed to only having the "push button to interact" and also gives you Half Life Alyx-esque gravity glove powers to yoink stuff over to you.

There's also stuff like Dragonborn Naturally Speaking which lets you use voice commands, although I haven't messed around with those yet.

It also requires a good chunk of mods to make it look pretty, but anyone familiar with Elder Scrolls modding should be used to that.

There's a pretty decent guide to modding it, including how to, suggested small list of mods, etc, that I thought I would bring here in case anyone else felt like going back to revisit it: The Lightweight Lazy List.

As with any Bethesda modding it quickly becomes a house of cards where once you get a poo poo ton of mods in there anything can cause a crash, but the mod managers are way better now at identifying issues than they used to be, and the game is so old that even my mediocre VR rig can add a ton of the crazy retexturing mods without losing framerate. If you enjoy screwing around with mods, it's a lot of fun these days, especially since you can basically add content to it forever with all the quest mods that are out there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StarkRavingMad posted:

After not touching it since it came out, I went back to mess around with Skyrim VR

I've been watching Robbaz play this on Youtube and it does look extremely fun but I know once I get past the initial "WHOA THIS IS SO COOL" phase and it sinks in that I now have to play Skyrim again I'd probably regret diving into it. It really does look kind of incredible though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I eventually settled on a burly orc character called Fast Hands Johnson, because every time I raised my VR hands I accidentally slapped someone in the face and had to wildly flail my way out of trouble by massacring everyone in town with my fists of fury.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Crank that poo poo up. I have a 3070 and usually leave everything maxed at 120hz with the resolution slider all the way to the right and just let the Oculus runtime sort it out since I barely notice 60hz ASW.

This doesn’t apply to MSFS or anything else where you can’t get at least 60fps at native resolution. Or if you’re sensitive to refresh rate.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

I've been watching Robbaz play this on Youtube and it does look extremely fun but I know once I get past the initial "WHOA THIS IS SO COOL" phase and it sinks in that I now have to play Skyrim again I'd probably regret diving into it. It really does look kind of incredible though.

The one mod included in that, spellsiphoning, actually legit changes up how you approach magic in the game, makes it not suck and introduces neat new VR mechanics that I had a ton of fun with.

There is something to be said for getting the motion of the realistic archery down though, and becoming a loving machine gun. From stealth.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DelphiAegis posted:

The one mod included in that, spellsiphoning, actually legit changes up how you approach magic in the game, makes it not suck and introduces neat new VR mechanics that I had a ton of fun with.

There is something to be said for getting the motion of the realistic archery down though, and becoming a loving machine gun. From stealth.

That all sounds cool as hell. I might have to pick it up next time it goes on sale.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I recently got my hands on a 3070, replacing my 970 and I want to get into VR. But I'm an idiot and have a lot of concerns and questions before dropping lots of cash on a headset.
If I want to use the knuckle controllers, do I need to use the index?
Is screen door effect a thing still?
I have extremely poor eyesight. Like -9 diopter. Real coke bottle glasses. Does anyone know if the prescription lens replacements people offer actually work well for such extreme cases? like they wont get aggressively blurry if you are not looking directly forward? Getting scratch resistant lenses and wearing my glasses sounds very uncomfortable as well as letting lots of light in.
Has there been any hints of newer high-end headsets? It looks like the Index is getting long in the tooth with their panels, but the Quest 2 is very unappealing with all the account stuff and walled off ecosystem, and being connected to facebook in general.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Broose posted:

I recently got my hands on a 3070, replacing my 970 and I want to get into VR. But I'm an idiot and have a lot of concerns and questions before dropping lots of cash on a headset.
I have extremely poor eyesight. Like -9 diopter. Real coke bottle glasses. Does anyone know if the prescription lens replacements people offer actually work well for such extreme cases? like they wont get aggressively blurry if you are not looking directly forward? Getting scratch resistant lenses and wearing my glasses sounds very uncomfortable as well as letting lots of light in.
Has there been any hints of newer high-end headsets? It looks like the Index is getting long in the tooth with their panels, but the Quest 2 is very unappealing with all the account stuff and walled off ecosystem, and being connected to facebook in general.

Knuckles require SteamVR base stations, so Index or Vive. Not sure how well it would work mixing and matching with another headset.

You can see the screen door on Index, but you have to look for it. You do not notice it in gameplay at all. Quest 2 has no screen door effect.

The Index is much better suited to prescription inserts than the Quest 2 is. Mainly due to the fact you can extend the Index lenses further from your face. I can't say for your particular situation.

Quest 3 and Index 2 are rumored for 2022-2023, so we still have a while with the current gen. Quest 2 is the best of the entry level , Index is the best all around but it is 3x the cost. I use my Quest 2 way more than I use my Index now, but there are other posters here with the exact opposite situation.

If I was shopping and didn't want the Quest 2, I would be looking at the Index and maybe the Vive Pro 2 with Knuckles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only reason, to my mind, to look at a Vive Pro 2 is if you have an IPD past 70mm. The Index is hands-down a better headset across the board otherwise, and cheaper to boot.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only reason, to my mind, to look at a Vive Pro 2 is if you have an IPD past 70mm. The Index is hands-down a better headset across the board otherwise, and cheaper to boot.

Man, it's hilarious how many headsets have come out since the Index, and it's still the best around.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Broose posted:

You can wear the lenses as close to your eyes as you want to. Pro tip: shave your eyelashes for a higher fov.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dungeons! (in B&S)
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/629730/view/3061865032385274658

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are they giving up on making the AI being able to....hit you at the very least?

Last I checked they were still using that incredibly stupid bought animation pack and the AI could neither attack nor defend properly.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 10, 2021

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Having real hands made me immediately re-download Skyrim VR and give it another try.

If they overhauled the melee combat to be even a little like B&S or Until You Fall or something I'd never play anything else but I know realistically this will not happen.

edit; lol of course Skyrim crashes even after multiple reinstalls and everything. Ah well.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Until You Fall has such a good arcadey melee system, I wish more games used it.