Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Upload VR showcase for E3 is starting in 2 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1hTGKXn70

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't expect any big announcement but here it's this thing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQQrMC84JE

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress

Well, better to be on the new page.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Don't show me PlaystationVR games dangit

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, better to be on the new page.

indeed

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This is some strong Molyneux energy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

There are a LOT of rhythm games wanting to be beat saber

E: Okay VR RTS spaceship commander, that's more like it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I liked the drums game. It's surprising to me that is has to use the AppLab, it has good production values.

I don't trust Oculus handtracking for the air guitar game, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sam & Max VR looks pretty fun, some interesting interactions and walking around.

At first I thought it was just sam & max I expect you to die, but nope there's more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pistol Whip getting some patches, sounds pretty good to me

Now guns are configured as "Styles" and there are dev curated builds you can try which tweak the gameplay

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

I liked the drums game. It's surprising to me that is has to use the AppLab, it has good production values.

And yet "in da hoop", a game where you just throw a ball into a hoop, is coming to the quest store! Probably $20, lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Pistol Whip getting some patches, sounds pretty good to me

Now guns are configured as "Styles" and there are dev curated builds you can try which tweak the gameplay

I remember someone wanting the scifi gun in the normal songs, in this forum, so he will be happy!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wow a straight up executioner game

That's pretty grim

E: Sweet Surrender looks so rad

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I Expect You to Die 2 looks nice. Well, looks to be more of the same, but nicer, in both graphics and more involved scenarios.

That said, the first one had the typical issue within puzzle games, where there is no second way to solve a problem, even if it's logical for the player, because the dev only bothered in doing a solution. So if you have bad luck and get stuck badly (you know, sometimes I have the solution in front of me and I won't notice it, even after hours of thinking, because I only notice the possible solutions the game won't contemplate), you are screwed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I really like I Expect You To Die in theory, lots of different unique interactions, but in practice its a lot of trial and error and doing things over and over because you missed something or whatever.

And in VR I just have much less patience for that.

In general I prefer games that are more about learning and reusing mechanics rather than just being lead around doing unique but easy things (because you don't have time to master them, you're always learning as you go)

Still the new scenarios looked pretty cool

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wait, Tom Hall is at Resolution Games? uh.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A Township Tale could be big [for VR]. Not exactly my type of game, but I recognize I'm not the best indicator of what the mainstream likes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
garbage

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

nerf arena blast is back baby

https://www.nerfvr.com lol

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

I remember someone wanting the scifi gun in the normal songs, in this forum, so he will be happy!

Me! Squeeee!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tip posted:

nerf arena blast is back baby

This just reminded me that the new Unreal Tournament failed, and now I'm sad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It never even had a chance to fail, they just pre-emptively killed it when Fortnite blew up :smith:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Anyone here been tracking Low-Fi?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNRs4BVUxjI

Curious to see if it's been growing/changing and if anyone here has any experience with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sarcastx posted:

Curious to see if it's been growing/changing and if anyone here has any experience with it.

Yeah been following it for like a year. The dev is a pretty cool guy, posts a lot of progress on twitter. Game is hugely ambitious so I've been waiting on them to get it a bit polished before I dove in and spoiled it for myself.

IIRC they have a discord and you can get in on test builds if you want...

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've been using Airlink since it came out on the quest 2. I decided to give the newest beta Virtual Desktop with the "space warp" a try and I got 5-10 fps worse in a crowded "VRChat rave"

38-48 Airlink
28-38 Virtual Desktop
Upon further reading with me having it set to 90fps hitting 45 fps and creating false frames with "warp" is ideal when you aren't in a simple room by yourself.

If your headset is getting hot, do you have it on 120fps mode? I stick with 90 because I don't get that near enough anyway so I decided to use less battery and sweat less.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, I LOVE the idea of an air guitar game with your real hands but I can not imagine that working well in practice until maybe a quest 3 with more fov for the camera tracking of hands, and improved algorithms.

sarcastx posted:

I backed it on kickstarter waaay back when, and so had the demo, but i haven't checked on it since... at least early 2020. As far as whats in there as of the build i played, the flying around the city is a better aircar than aircar even as it is, and the visuals are stunning. The guy certainly knows how to model a blade runner world in UE4, all the locations you can visit look equally gorgeous, and the scanned in characters look remarkable. I think the NPC in the apartment complex is maybe the most realistic looking human I've seen in a VR environment?

Of course, thats all it is last I checked on it: pretty visuals. Theres was nothing to actually do in it at that time but fly around visit locations, and fire your gun that does nothing. Its easy to see potential in flying around and visiting places in this gorgeous cyberpunk city, fighting people, whatever its going to involve, but it also gives off the impression of someone who's talented at modeling worlds, but biting off more than they can chew.

Again, this is from old information, and I'd forgotten about it until now, so I hope its showing progress as I'd certainly love to see it finished, but everything in that update trailer looked like the same locations as the build i last played, and there still don't seem to be any interactive NPC or anything from it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat I can't wait for After The Fall

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tip posted:

And yet "in da hoop", a game where you just throw a ball into a hoop, is coming to the quest store! Probably $20, lol

I thought at first it would be a mini-games collection, but no....

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've been using Airlink since it came out on the quest 2. I decided to give the newest beta Virtual Desktop with the "space warp" a try and I got 5-10 fps worse in a crowded "VRChat rave"

38-48 Airlink
28-38 Virtual Desktop
Upon further reading with me having it set to 90fps hitting 45 fps and creating false frames with "warp" is ideal when you aren't in a simple room by yourself.

If your headset is getting hot, do you have it on 120fps mode? I stick with 90 because I don't get that near enough anyway so I decided to use less battery and sweat less.

120hz is great over Link, but it's definitely pushing things a bit too much wirelessly right now. Even with good performance, it gets pretty fuzzy (and VRChat takes a big hit), so I'm sticking with 90hz. Maybe on a dedicated network it works better.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
With the Focus 3 and the Pico headsets looking technically pretty decent (obviously HTC has learnt something from the Cosmos joke) is there any point trying to jump the “business use only” hurdle to get a Quest 2-beating standalone headset?

I mean they’re all Snapdragon based, does that mean there is a chance you could buy/run Q2 games on them? Or Virtual Desktop Steam games wirelessly?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m wayyy behind on this thread and all VR updates.

Is the sideloaded Virtual Desktop app no longer the way to go with wireless PCVR? I saw Oculus announced the feature, do people just use that now? Can I use air link with steam games?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rolo posted:

Is the sideloaded Virtual Desktop app no longer the way to go with wireless PCVR? I saw Oculus announced the feature, do people just use that now? Can I use air link with steam games?

Yeah AirLink does all the same stuff, though I find the UI for virtual desktop much better to use and some people have better performance with one over the other. If you don't already have Virtual Desktop then you'd prob be good just using the free AirLink solution.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Air Link works just like regular Link does, it just turns the Quest into a wireless Rift so you can still do all the usual Steam VR stuff. It is still in early beta though so there is some jank with it. Try it and if it works on your network then I think it's the best option, but VD is still there if Air Link doesn't work for you and it doesn't require sideloading any more.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so if I already HAVE virtual desktop sideloaded and it worked well with my PC and router previously I’m good to keep going?

I love the interface and don’t need to change but I didn’t know if an oculus patch has since broken or surpassed it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Virtual desktop works way better. Going to let Airlink spend a little more time in the oven before I throw myself at the mercy of some new poorly supported implementation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rolo posted:

Ok so if I already HAVE virtual desktop sideloaded and it worked well with my PC and router previously I’m good to go?

I love the interface and don’t need to change but I didn’t know if an oculus patch has since broken or surpassed it.

Nah you're good then. I think a lot of us are doing the same thing since we already bought VD.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I wish my quest would get the 120hz option. These staged rollouts are lame

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Does anyone in this thread let their kids, under 13, use the system? I know that there is the warning but I did not know if people let their 10+ age kids use it anyways?

I let my four and a half year old put my G2 on and look around sometimes and if she ever shows an inkling of interest in learning to play Eleven or something, it's just more video games.

I think the warnings are FB playing cover your rear end with a demographic that won't sell many VR titles in any case; studies into whether this stuff is actually bad for kids has, maximally, found short term consequences from fairly extensive use. I am pretty sure my kid could start playing beatsaber for a half hour a day without any consequences except being much, much better than me at it in a short time.

Hell, I was raised on 3d slides, stereogram images, and 3d movies, because my father is a 3d buff.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

forest spirit posted:

I wish my quest would get the 120hz option. These staged rollouts are lame

Yeah, it's already 'hidden' for normal users, as you have to go to experimental settings. They should give it to everyone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I let my four and a half year old put my G2 on and look around sometimes and if she ever shows an inkling of interest in learning to play Eleven or something, it's just more video games.

I think the warnings are FB playing cover your rear end with a demographic that won't sell many VR titles in any case; studies into whether this stuff is actually bad for kids has, maximally, found short term consequences from fairly extensive use. I am pretty sure my kid could start playing beatsaber for a half hour a day without any consequences except being much, much better than me at it in a short time.

Hell, I was raised on 3d slides, stereogram images, and 3d movies, because my father is a 3d buff.

It's almost certainly cover-your-rear end stuff, as Nintendo had the same deal with the 3DS and that WAS targeted at kids under thirteen.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ROFLBOT posted:

With the Focus 3 and the Pico headsets looking technically pretty decent (obviously HTC has learnt something from the Cosmos joke) is there any point trying to jump the “business use only” hurdle to get a Quest 2-beating standalone headset?

I mean they’re all Snapdragon based, does that mean there is a chance you could buy/run Q2 games on them? Or Virtual Desktop Steam games wirelessly?

Technically it should be able to run the Q2 runs fine, but it will still require the developers of the games to port their code over to the pico and focus as they're still made with the Oculus SDK, they wouldn't just run the raw .apk file ripped of a quest or anything.

I suppose there may be a theoretical way for someone to write some revive like program for them that can read the quest .apk files? Maybe?

The real downside to the focus and pico being 'business focused' is it drops the likelihood of most developers porting their games over to those kind of niche systems through the floor.

As far as PC streaming though, that will almost certainly come, even if its just something more homebrew like riftcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rolo posted:

Virtual Desktop isn't a sideloaded app anymore, they have it on the Oculus store now.