Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

EbolaIvory posted:

And again, this isn't new. Games have had paid ads forever. Death Stranding is a giant monster ad. Did it hurt gameplay? Nope. You drank monster.

EbolaIvory posted:

Something like Pop1 has energy drinks. Redbull can pay that company a ton of money to slap a logo on an already existing item in the game. They get paid, users mostly don't notice, and the ones that do go "heh cool" because its a real thing. (yes, Im focusing on the redbull/monster can thing a lot, its a really good example of well placed ads)

Getting mixed messages here. Should I not notice the Red Bull or does this make Pop1 a giant Red Bull ad?

The only form of in-game advertising I ever ran into that seemed organic and not incredibly, incredibly lame was in Crazy Taxi where you'd take people to Pizza Hut or Tower Records, which has been more than two decades ago. BF2142 had in-game billboards with targeted ads and they were terrible. I don't know how "every site has our widget so we know everything you look at online" Facebook is going to provide a better experience than the wet fart EA gave us years ago and I'm not exactly dying to find out. FFXV is littered with incredibly out-of-place ads (Cup Noodle is nowhere near as strange as having to track down the Vivienne Westwood store, imo), too, and they're all exceptionally bad.

Then again, I've had a Rift S since 2019 and still haven't even considered buying any VR titles directly from Oculus. Doesn't help that the one game I was mildly interested in (the newer Star Wars VR game) is only on Quest. If you'd told me my Rift S was only going to be supported by Oculus for another five months after my purchase in Nov 2019, when it had been released for all of six months, I don't think I'd have bought it. At least I got in before the required FB account. :toot: The likelihood I will ever be subjected to one of these FB software ads is pretty slim and I'd give up VR entirely before dealing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Yeah. This is a big part of the reason why I'm really not very worried about ads like this, it completely obliterates the feel and I can't really imagine anything that is either built from the ground up with that kind of ad being part of the experience, or that kind of ad being added in later, as being successful.

I can agree with this mostly.

Assets and things being updated, assuming it makes sense. Can be shoehorned in later. Billboards, posters, TV screens, Again shoehorned later.

But like beyond that? Its gonna be rough unless you plan for it. Nobody wants poo poo that makes no sense in an experience. At least as a user.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Getting mixed messages here. Should I not notice the Red Bull or does this make Pop1 a giant Red Bull ad?

The only form of in-game advertising I ever ran into that seemed organic and not incredibly, incredibly lame was in Crazy Taxi where you'd take people to Pizza Hut or Tower Records, which has been more than two decades ago. BF2142 had in-game billboards with targeted ads and they were terrible. I don't know how "every site has our widget so we know everything you look at online" Facebook is going to provide a better experience than the wet fart EA gave us years ago and I'm not exactly dying to find out. FFXV is littered with incredibly out-of-place ads (Cup Noodle is nowhere near as strange as having to track down the Vivienne Westwood store, imo), too, and they're all exceptionally bad.

Then again, I've had a Rift S since 2019 and still haven't even considered buying any VR titles directly from Oculus. Doesn't help that the one game I was mildly interested in (the newer Star Wars VR game) is only on Quest. If you'd told me my Rift S was only going to be supported by Oculus for another five months after my purchase in Nov 2019, when it had been released for all of six months, I don't think I'd have bought it. At least I got in before the required FB account. :toot: The likelihood I will ever be subjected to one of these FB software ads is pretty slim and I'd give up VR entirely before dealing with it.

Basically what I'm saying is when something like death stranding already has a monster can in it, its clearly a sponsor, and nobody really cared. It didnt ruin the gameplay, and I think we all went "heh" when we first saw it. So they update that to redbull. Who cares?

Same deal with POP1. They have things in the game now. Drinks, Bananas, Etc. They could throw a Chiquita logo on the banana and bang, thats an ad. Ya dig?

The ad don't have to be front and center. It may not even feel like an ad. In fact, it shouldn't if done correctly tbqh.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 20, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I will add: I can see the case where ads in a game take the player out of the experience, even if they are used in a real, current world setting. It may remember the players they are playing a game, and there are ulterior motives of why the player is seeing them.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

EbolaIvory posted:

Correct, and if everyone actually looking into this ad thing would see that developers have control over ad providers. This means things like the "monster can" can end up a "redbull can" instead. Ads are more than just a flashing gif on a billboard folks.
Are you claiming that Facebook is going to be inserting individually-targeted dynamically-generated in-game objects that are contextually-appropriate? Because I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

quote:

Stop focusing on billboards.
People are focusing on billboards and flyers and other in-game flat square surfaces because those are the sorts of things that can easily accommodate a wide variety of algorithmically-chosen advertisers.

quote:

Something like Pop1 has energy drinks. Redbull can pay that company a ton of money to slap a logo on an already existing item in the game.
They can already do that. There's nothing to stop advertisers from sponsoring games and getting their logos on things. That's not what's being tested in Blaston, and it's not what's being discussed when people talk about Facebook's announcement.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sethsez posted:

Are you claiming that Facebook is going to be inserting individually-targeted dynamically-generated in-game objects that are contextually-appropriate? Because I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

People are focusing on billboards and flyers and other in-game flat square surfaces because those are the sorts of things that can easily accommodate a wide variety of algorithmically-chosen advertisers.

They can already do that. There's nothing to stop advertisers from sponsoring games and getting their logos on things. That's not what's being tested in Blaston, and it's not what's being discussed when people talk about Facebook's announcement.

It all plays into it though. Even IF billboards and posters are all that updates its STILL not a big deal as companies get to filter ad providers.

Hi, I'm talking about the entire thing. Welcome to the party.

Ima go relax, ya'll argue over poo poo.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

EbolaIvory posted:

Hi, I'm talking about the entire thing.

That's great and all, but it also just means you're conflating the things people are upset about with things people aren't upset about and acting like they're the same thing to score some kind of imaginary point.

Also, I can't imagine a single company that would want to advertise on an in-game can that could be theirs one week and someone else's next week, prompting people to just refer to it by a generic term to avoid confusion ("do you have any Red Bull?" "no, I have Rockstar though" "oh, yeah that's what I mean, it was Red Bull last week" "oh okay yeah I have an energy drink"). If Red Bull wanted to be the soda in Pop: One, they're paying for the rights to be the soda in Pop: One.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dude's here building FarmTown VR talking to us plebes we should be so lucky for this wisdom.

Anyway, I think trying to separate the fact that FB is behind the push is a mistake because of their well-known aversion to anything resembling ethics.

All this ad talk made me think about FFXV's best quest, the search for Cup Noodle toppings.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 20, 2021

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Any idea what would cause a custom Beat Saber level to not load? There’s been a handful over time that do not work, even after deleting / downloading again. When I click on the song in game I get the audio preview but it never loads the difficulty selection / play button. I use the Steam version, customs are from bsaber. The program I use I think is called beatsync? I just run it and it auto downloads the songs I bookmark from bsaber.

The majority of songs work fine so it’s not all of them but enough to be an annoyance.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

GoodApollo posted:

Any idea what would cause a custom Beat Saber level to not load? There’s been a handful over time that do not work, even after deleting / downloading again. When I click on the song in game I get the audio preview but it never loads the difficulty selection / play button. I use the Steam version, customs are from bsaber. The program I use I think is called beatsync? I just run it and it auto downloads the songs I bookmark from bsaber.

The majority of songs work fine so it’s not all of them but enough to be an annoyance.

Some songs require Mapping Extensions mod or the Noodle Extensions mod. Usually clicking the ? in the upper right near the song title will tell you if some mod is recommended or required for the song.

I've wanted to play the version of Gas! Gas! Gas! I got, but Noodle Extensions hasn't updated yet. :(

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FilthyImp posted:

All this ad talk made me think about FFXV's best quest, the search for Cup Noodle toppings.

The sheer ballsy absurdity of that quest somehow made it work.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Not to detract from ad talk (or maybe to detract from it), I found out today that I cannot wear my Oculus 2 while wearing glasses. Apparently my glasses are too wide and they cannot fit in the set with the foam pad on.

Any ideas on what can be done to correct this? Today, I just went and put in my contacts but I did not know if there was an accessory to fix this issue.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Not to detract from ad talk (or maybe to detract from it), I found out today that I cannot wear my Oculus 2 while wearing glasses. Apparently my glasses are too wide and they cannot fit in the set with the foam pad on.

Any ideas on what can be done to correct this? Today, I just went and put in my contacts but I did not know if there was an accessory to fix this issue.

https://www.vroptician.com

There's others (probably) or 3-d printed options where you buy the lens and slot it in, but these fit my CV1 perfectly and have been fantastic.

e: Fixed link

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

hot take: ads suck, facebook suck

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Not sure if the wide facial interface actually makes it wide enough for glasses, but prescription lenses for the Quest are a thing, I went with VR Optician.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

DelphiAegis posted:

https://www.vroptician.com

There's others (probably) or 3-d printed options where you buy the lens and slot it in, but these fit my CV1 perfectly and have been fantastic.

e: Fixed link

Bondematt posted:

Not sure if the wide facial interface actually makes it wide enough for glasses, but prescription lenses for the Quest are a thing, I went with VR Optician.

Holy poo poo, that is awesome!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

So did anyone play Flow Weaver? I'd had my eye on it but there's like, no reviews for it on steam. Except one german guy who recommends it but I've no idea if that's good or not.

I finished it today, it's a good sit-down game like I Expect You To Die but most of it was trying to remember what things were where. The biggest tell was that if you had an item that could be brought to a different "realm" outside of where you first found it, it's probably used in that way.

There's one safe code that the game doesn't signpost (it uses the same safe 3 times to get different items, two of the codes I found normally but the third I had to look up online)

I'd say it's alright if you have 2 hours to kill but whether 2 hours is worth the price tag is up to you.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Holy poo poo, that is awesome!

Yeah and once you get a set you'll wonder how the hell you ever dealt with your glasses.
Lens inserts are a requirement imho if you wear glasses.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

There's a much cheaper pair on AliExpress, it's where I got mine and they've been great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044336647.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.41a31a4cy7P31q

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got the amazon halo strap in for the Q2 and already returned it. I dont know if I just dont have the head for halo straps or what, but it for sure doesnt work. PSVR didnt either, so I suspect its my head.

Ordered this, rolling the dice on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092VJKR3M

Its the same as a ton of others out there with good reviews, so I just picked the cheapest one that would arrive the quickest

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm curious to hear your findings as I'm also without an elite strap after it loving broke on me.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

What are the wireless options out there other than the quests? I'm loving mine but would definitely be interested in exploring my options for an upgrade

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

w00tmonger posted:

What are the wireless options out there other than the quests? I'm loving mine but would definitely be interested in exploring my options for an upgrade

Pretty much a Vive, Vive Pro 1 or 2, or Vive Cosmos, using the HTC Wireless Adapter.

Your best bet's probably the Vive Pro 1 or 2 if you go down that rabbit hole. :retrogames:

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have an Index but I don't love the controllers. I'd rather have a button for grip than the Knuckles' capacitive sensor. I feel like I have to squeeze way too hard to hold objects in VR. I previously had an Oculus Rift and liked the Touch controllers.

What are my choices here? Are there controllers similar to the Rift ones I can use while I use the Index HMD? Or is that going to be a big compatibility mess?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have an Index but I don't love the controllers. I'd rather have a button for grip than the Knuckles' capacitive sensor. I feel like I have to squeeze way too hard to hold objects in VR. I previously had an Oculus Rift and liked the Touch controllers.

What are my choices here? Are there controllers similar to the Rift ones I can use while I use the Index HMD? Or is that going to be a big compatibility mess?

Have you tried turning down the grip threshold in the input mappings? It should work for games that use the grip as a binary toggle.

As for other controllers, there is only really the vive pro wands with the extremely stiff grip button.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Switching from reading the delusional posts that get mocked in the Stadia shark tank thread to see multiple pages here of "actually, pumping your video games full of advertising is good, actually" gives you some hellacious whiplash

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

It all plays into it though. Even IF billboards and posters are all that updates its STILL not a big deal as companies get to filter ad providers.

Hi, I'm talking about the entire thing. Welcome to the party.

Ima go relax, ya'll argue over poo poo.

Never thought I’d say a legit ad-man scumbag on these here forums but there you go. The fact you see invasive data gathering and analysis as a separate issue to targeted advertising just tells everyone that you’re not only a simp for some of the most harmful and dystopian corporate practices around, but also that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

But sure, getting things sold to me more effectively is totally worth the deliberate destruction of the concept of privacy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

EbolaIvory posted:

You're right. Your post history in this thread is simply "bought headset" and stuff.

Which is why I asked. So instead of you saying "yeah im an artist i do this" you just said im wrong. Read your post again and tell me that it dont come off selfish as poo poo and you give zero fucks about the companies making things you enjoy. Then turn around and tell me how I could assume you're an artist at all with that lovely mentality?

Theres really no "good" way to be on the other side of the facebook/ad thing. At somethingawful.com you either hate facebook and all that it does, or you're a zuck simp.

What I (or anyone else) does, for how long, when, where, none of that matters or changes how things actually are. I don't care if you are the coolest, most special boy in all of virtual reality development. Your opinions about this are poor, your condescending assements of the people you are debating is laughable, and your justifications for both are flimsy my-uncle-at-nintendioisms.
Facebook doesn't make anything I enjoy here in the VR space because I've not played any oculus-exclusive games. I don't have revive, an oculus (or facebook :smug:) account, nor have I ever slipped one of their headsets on my head. When I say 'gently caress oculus/facebook I mean it. They absolutely do not make anything I enjoy. I realize most people aren't willing to go quite that far, but I don't assume their opinions are lesser because of it.
Not until they post some poo poo like 'actually ads are good you idiot'.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Rectus posted:

Have you tried turning down the grip threshold in the input mappings? It should work for games that use the grip as a binary toggle.

As for other controllers, there is only really the vive pro wands with the extremely stiff grip button.

I've had mine for a year and I've never seen that screen. I feel so dumb, because this is probably what I need to fix my issue where my fingers don't quite line up with the grips.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Itt saying a boycott is stupid is the same as preferring ads in video games

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The other aspect of advertising that's not really been touched on is how it's going to impact game development from its outset. If the goal is naturally-integrated ads that blend into the overall world, that still requires a world where ads for modern-day products and services makes sense. You're not sneaking Red Bull cans into Blade and Sorcery or Hulu billboards into The Room VR, they just aren't settings that work for selling much of anything. So if dynamic targeted naturally-integrated ads in VR wind up being a financial windfall, expect to see significantly fewer games built around fantasy settings, settings in the extreme past or future, or purely abstract settings, because any of those will be cutting off a significant chunk of potential income.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I was totally willing to overlook Facebook's bullshit, I bought a dang Quest 2 and it was in my house and all I had to do was make a Facebook account. But they wouldn't even let me do that, I had to go around Facebook's lazy, cheap automated banbots to submit a ticket to their Oculus team. I thought "is this worth it to have a VR headset without cables that may or may not even work with my router?"... and the answer is no. The only thing keeping me from getting an Index to replace my Rift S is the cost. I have savings, but I really don't want to toss out $1000 for a VR headset when I have one that's going to work fine for at least another couple of years until I'm forced to tie it to Facebook.

Anyways, I've been getting back into Half-Life: Alyx and yesterday I ran into my first major framerate issues in a VR game with the fight in chapter 5 against the lightning dogs. I think it was the volumetric fog and/or lighting, but my framerates started to noticeably tank while I was down in that pit. Outside of that the game's been fine, maybe a little hitchy sometimes.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I find it surprising, but I don't really like the index controllers much.

Maybe I'd feel differently if there was a "how to use the index controllers the way they were designed", and I don't mean the hand lab.

I mean, for the longest time I rested my thumbs on the touchpads, which feels natural to do when my hand is at rest, and wondered why the menus never scrolled right. :haw:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

Maybe I'd feel differently if there was a "how to use the index controllers the way they were designed", and I don't mean the hand lab.

I mean, for the longest time I rested my thumbs on the touchpads, which feels natural to do when my hand is at rest, and wondered why the menus never scrolled right. :haw:

The short version is treat them like they're not actually there, and you're just using your hand to pick stuff up as you would physically. The straps are there so the controllers don't fall/fling off when you open your hand, and do a pretty solid job of it, so throw poo poo with (relative) impunity. If you want a neutral place to rest your thumb, I find just curling it around the controller works for me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Just going to take practice I guess.

(Which is a funny thing to say about using a controller intended to be used as though it was not there.)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jakabite posted:

Never thought I’d say a legit ad-man scumbag on these here forums but there you go. The fact you see invasive data gathering and analysis as a separate issue to targeted advertising just tells everyone that you’re not only a simp for some of the most harmful and dystopian corporate practices around, but also that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

But sure, getting things sold to me more effectively is totally worth the deliberate destruction of the concept of privacy.

I've not once argued that facebooks data practices in general are not great. This is purely about ads being in a game and me saying its entirely possible to do in a good way.

KakerMix posted:

What I (or anyone else) does, for how long, when, where, none of that matters or changes how things actually are. I don't care if you are the coolest, most special boy in all of virtual reality development. Your opinions about this are poor, your condescending assements of the people you are debating is laughable, and your justifications for both are flimsy my-uncle-at-nintendioisms.
Facebook doesn't make anything I enjoy here in the VR space because I've not played any oculus-exclusive games. I don't have revive, an oculus (or facebook :smug:) account, nor have I ever slipped one of their headsets on my head. When I say 'gently caress oculus/facebook I mean it. They absolutely do not make anything I enjoy. I realize most people aren't willing to go quite that far, but I don't assume their opinions are lesser because of it.
Not until they post some poo poo like 'actually ads are good you idiot'.

Good for you on not having oculus stuff, happy youre happy.

This don't change the fact of what I've been saying. Ads can be good/fine. Keep on keepin on the hate machine for facebook or whatever.

The Eyes Have It posted:

https://betaform.shop/products/knuckles-duster-two-vr-controller-grip-index-kd2

or printed boosters.

Hated em, usable now. Boosters shifted my kinda long thumb to a point I can actually rest it near the sticks and feel natural.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah I have boosters, printed a pair myself from Valve's design.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Eyes Have It posted:

The idea is supposed to be that you just let your hand rest naturally.

In practice I find that I tend to move my fingers, twiddle my thumbs, etc. naturally and the Index controllers really hate that, so I'm more or less forced to remember to keep my hands open at all times.

From what I can tell, Index controllers are either perfect for you and you can't imagine why anybody could ever have a problem with them, or they're nightmares of accidental inputs and poo poo teleporting to your hands constantly because you curled your pinkie finger a bit too much. The Oculus controllers may not offer as much flexibility, but they're far better about giving concrete feedback and clearly delineating what counts as an input and what doesn't.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's well put. I played through Alyx with Oculus controllers and as an overall general statement I really preferred the "predictability" of the input.

I played with the index controllers afterwards expecting them to be way better (and they are in some ways), yet there I am like a goober outside Russell's STILL practicing how to use the gravity gloves and it just never really feeling natural.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ebola, I think your posts would be much more well received if they didn’t give off the air of a D-List celebrity trying to prove they’re a C-list celebrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm one of the resident Index Controller Haters and I would trade them for a Touch rip-off in a heartbeat. I don't have to think about the Touch controllers, but I do with the Index because some of its poo poo is so finicky, and I don't like being distracted by thinking about the controller.