Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, setting the oculus app and VD to higher res made a difference in clarity for sure.

Risk of Rain 2 VR multiplayer is mad fun, big recommend if you want to while away some time with friends while also managing some light insane chaos

And still no 120hz option. People have had this since April!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Is there any hope for gfx cards reducing in price and improving in availability any time soon? Or am I just poo poo out of luck unless I want to pay £1000 for a prebuilt? Goddamn crypto

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CancerCakes posted:

Is there any hope for gfx cards reducing in price and improving in availability any time soon? Or am I just poo poo out of luck unless I want to pay £1000 for a prebuilt? Goddamn crypto

This is driven more by scalpers and shortages than crypto.

Prices dipped for a bit but they’re still insanity.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I thought crypto has largely moved away from GPU-based mining?

It's just covid causing a massive shortage, and then scalper bots taking advantage of that. Same reason why the new car market is having supply issues and therefore loving up the used car market.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CancerCakes posted:

Join a UK stock discord and look for Founders Edition drops from Scan. They're always RRP so go quick but they've been staying in stock longer and longer lately

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Party Boat posted:

Join a UK stock discord and look for Founders Edition drops from Scan. They're always RRP so go quick but they've been staying in stock longer and longer lately

Can you recommend such a Discord?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is elite dangerous worth $6 on fanatical ? Thinking about grabbing it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I thought the base game plus Horizons was free now. Or was it just Horizons that was free?

Anyhow, yeah, at six bucks, even if you don’t like it long term, you should get your money’s worth just exploring around and enjoying the view.

I like it a lot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's just Horizons that's now rolled in with the base game

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Sab669 posted:

Yea I thought crypto has largely moved away from GPU-based mining?

It's just covid causing a massive shortage, and then scalper bots taking advantage of that. Same reason why the new car market is having supply issues and therefore loving up the used car market.

Yep. The chip shortage causing the carpocalypse is causing so many weird knock on effects. It's impossible to find a rental car right now because there are not enough new cars for them to buy.

I build a new computer every second generation (970, then 2070). I'm hoping by the next video card generation everything is smoothed out. But by then there will be so much pent up demand maybe that will still be an issue.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

chippy posted:

This one: https://www.ctrlaltstock.com/home

Although today I managed to grab a 3060 just by checking Overclockers. An eye watering £420, but it's the same as a 6600 XT which I suspect is going to handle VR resolutions terribly, and my 1060 is going on CeX for £120, let alone eBay, so I'll get some of it back.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

chippy posted:

I got my 3070 from https://discord.gg/stockdrops

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is elite dangerous worth $6 on fanatical ? Thinking about grabbing it.

Definitely worth that just to experience docking in VR just one time.

EbolaIvory posted:

2070s should do 120 without dropping frames like crazy. Turn off all the auto poo poo, set resolution/supersample to 1.0 and see what happens.

Thanks, that did work! I only tried out psychonaughts vr but I think I prefer all the extra super sampling @ 90Hz.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 23, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-more-flexible-oculus-move-improved-gifting-and-more-in-the-latest-oculus-software-update/

-Unified friend list
-gift from store in device
-cloud syncing for images/videos, so it's easier to share
-reworked goals in Oculus move and Share to FB action.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Onward is still the best milsim ever made. As good VR controls as possible. Coming back after like a year without playing the new updates kick rear end

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Yuki gets a thumbs up from me. It's surprisingly laid back for a bullet hell game.

It is giving me some wrist fatigue; it's also the rare game you can play seated or standing and have different but acceptable experiences either way.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Speaking of Elite Dangerous, is it still more or less the best go-to for a chill VR space game? I played a good amount of Star Wars Squadrons and enjoyed it, but want something a bit more low key where I can explore space in my spaceship, and ED seems to fit the bill. Never played it, hopefully it's easy enough to learn while in vr.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Elite Dangerous can totally be the Space Truck Simulator if you want it to be.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh my god I hadn't even thought of that. Do you still use mouse and keyboard in VR for Elite: Dangerous?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The space trucking nature of it bit one of my friends in the rear end when he was playing it late at night and nodded off. Dude woke up in space VR and had no idea what the gently caress for like a good ten seconds.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The space trucking nature of it bit one of my friends in the rear end when he was playing it late at night and nodded off. Dude woke up in space VR and had no idea what the gently caress for like a good ten seconds.

I’ve had several dreams where I keep discovering I’m in a vr game/sim and after taking the headset off feel like I’ve finally ‘woken up’. But this sounds way worse:golfclap:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I recently set up a 'real' sim rig for iRacing and in doing so had to change the USB port my hardware plugs into. This entails going into every single car I drive (around 8-10) and rebinding 10-15 things. By the time I finished the rig build and started this process I had already had a couple beers and was exhausted from moving poo poo all over the place and I nodded off in VR and woke up with it on when a car drove by me in the pit lane and I actually had a little jump scare.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The idea of falling asleep while wearing a VR helmet is completely alien to me. They're just not comfortable enough for that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gort posted:

The idea of falling asleep while wearing a VR helmet is completely alien to me. They're just not comfortable enough for that.

I think it's more that you don't get drunk or high by yourself and play video games until you can't stay awake.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

I think it's more that you don't get drunk or high by yourself and play video games until you can't stay awake.

You are not helping your case :P

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Maybe when headsets weigh a fraction of what they do now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are the other headsets a lot heavier than the reverb g2? I don't notice the weight at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VelociBacon posted:

Are the other headsets a lot heavier than the reverb g2? I don't notice the weight at all.

The G2's actually on the light side at 550g, an Index is around 830g, as is a Vive + DAS. The only lighter headsets are actually a Vive Pro 2 at around 450g-ish I think and the Quest 2 (500g-ish).

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
A decent headstrap and good weight distribution are probably the biggest factors, given you're upright and facing horizontally most of the time. You really feel the Q2's weight on the default strap, and apparently using a battery as a counterweight helps a lot.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I recently finally picked up H3VR and drat is the Take and Hold mode sneaky addictive. I really really suck at it but it's tons of fun and I see myself putting a lot of hours into it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

CodfishCartographer posted:

Speaking of Elite Dangerous, is it still more or less the best go-to for a chill VR space game? I played a good amount of Star Wars Squadrons and enjoyed it, but want something a bit more low key where I can explore space in my spaceship, and ED seems to fit the bill. Never played it, hopefully it's easy enough to learn while in vr.

Modern No Man's Sky is pretty good, too

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

CodfishCartographer posted:

ED is a nice exploration game but I don't much care for the combat or grind required to get to the more "advanced content"

but if you just want to fly around the galaxy and look at cool planets, it's a fun time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quest 2 is sold again in shops (128gb model), it places behind Xbox and PS digital bux, but above the Nintendo bux

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Quest 2 is sold again in shops (128gb model), it places behind Xbox and PS digital bux, but above the Nintendo bux

I wonder how many of those are people just trying to reach Facebook support:

https://twitter.com/shannonpareil/status/1422308916654870530

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

VelociBacon posted:

Oh my god I hadn't even thought of that. Do you still use mouse and keyboard in VR for Elite: Dangerous?

You can, it also plays really well with just a basic controller, like an Xbox controller or whatever. There's some really good context-sensitive button combos that let you map basically everything you need.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I expect you To Die 2 is out, scores are around 8/10.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh also for Elite Dangerous, it's pretty easy to set up Voice Attack to use voice commands for a lot of stuff and you can buy third party voice packs to go along with it if you want William Shatner or Tom Baker or Brian Blessed or pretty much anyone from ST:TNG other than Picard as your fake crewmember: https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/collections/elite-dangerous

Works very well doing that in VR since you have the built in headset mic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gort posted:

This guy has an absurdly comfortable computer chair, which helps. Like a VR headset has some weight to it but some aren’t bad at all. I barely notice the Index compared to the Rift S.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

They already have your data in FB. And they have your data in Quest. So being able to post in FB what you do in Quest isn't exactly new data harvesting.

Given that they have your acceleration data, height, armspan data etc, they can probably just make an educated guess on your BMI and add that to your Facebook dating profile for matching purposes, or put it publicly next to your age and alma mater on your profile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Given that they have your acceleration data, height, armspan data etc, they can probably just make an educated guess on your BMI and add that to your Facebook dating profile for matching purposes, or put it publicly next to your age and alma mater on your profile

https://visagetechnologies.com/face2bmi/#:~:text=A%20collaboration%20of%20researchers%20from,BMI%20from%20social%20media%20images.

They can probably just get this from pictures of your face

The thing about the data privacy implications from analyzing your VR interactions is, I think, overblown, but only because I think people are severely underestimating how much data there is about you already out there that these companies have. I think what they could get from VR is relatively minor compared to what they already have.