Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Maybe in the spirit of Resident Evil, they’ll just call themselves Umbrella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

Given the recent rebranding if the social thing they’re doing, one wonders if Horizons is going to be the new company name.

This would be incredibly funny because Horizons (the VR software) is very bad

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It would be hilarious if they change their name to something that ends up like typically villainous corp from fiction, like 'the Network'.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Skynet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

F Corp.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"My Company Name 'Not Facebook' Has People Asking A Lot Of Questions Already Answered By My Company Name"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’ve seen a theory that it’s just going to be the wider company name and everything else will stay the same. Like how Google renamed to Alphabet. Probably because they realised branding everything they own like WhatsApp, Portal and Oculus as “from Facebook” was an incredibly bad idea.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Still really bummed that re4vr won't play on my rift s. What a letdown.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHEg8NYIEb4

$499 kickstarter pricing
$599 regular pricing after kickstarter ends
$699 special edition (different transparent faceplate)

Slides:
  • Mobile, with option to stream heavy content over Wifi 6 or 5G
  • Amazing colors and true opacity in AR
  • Hand-tracking
  • 6DoF
  • 1600x1600@90Hz display
  • New optical architecture
  • SteamVR compatible
  • 3 hours of battery use
  • USB-C with fast charge
  • 3d mesh reconstruction (from wikitude+qualcomm)
  • 1 hr podcast with head of XR at qualcomm releases tomorrow
  • reviews from cas & chary + mixed reality tv coming in october

Q&A:
ultraleap has none of the downsides of the og leap
custom controllers with finch technology will be smaller than the current ones, so that hand tracking can track positon + the usual IMU sensor fusion
posibility for headstrap modifications (don't open the front part, the sensors are precisely calibrated), cad models with view cones and such will be provided
light-blocking face gasket included for vr games
want to support WebXR
somebody asked a question about FBT and he said you could possibly track other people's bodies
device doesn't have lidar, depth estimation is from stereo tracking cameras
ipd not suited for kids
he promises that lynx will never be sold to facebook
he is not getting enough sleep

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
As someone who knows basically nothing about VR, would a setup be suitable for an 8 year old? I know most recommend 12+ but after doing some reading there isn't a whole lot of info about this. The sense I got was companies are doing it to cover their rear end in case something were to happen. I could be wrong there.

If age appropriate, what would you guys recommend? The Oculus looks like the easy choice but I don't have Facebook and really don't want to sign up for it for this. The Valve looked pretty nice too.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Turin Turambar posted:

$40 is confirmed.

Here it's a video with the differences I never played the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEioT9OqCFA

hell yeah!

This may finally be the version that beats the Wii version.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hyperlynx posted:

Has anyone tried https://immersed.com/ ? I think it looks kinda cool. I'm always wishing I had more screens and screen real estate. It only works on oculus, though :(

I have, I signed up for the annual plan back when it came out based on the appeal of all the virtual screens. Having the extra screens is pretty nice and it's pretty intuitive, and the fact that you can control everything with hand gestures is nice. However, it can get a bit laggy on maximum screens and I personally don't care much for any of the additional features like the webcam and the whiteboard or whatever. I honestly haven't felt compelled to use it enough to make it worth the price, but YMMV so I'd say try a month and see how you like it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

wandler20 posted:

As someone who knows basically nothing about VR, would a setup be suitable for an 8 year old? I know most recommend 12+ but after doing some reading there isn't a whole lot of info about this. The sense I got was companies are doing it to cover their rear end in case something were to happen. I could be wrong there.

If age appropriate, what would you guys recommend? The Oculus looks like the easy choice but I don't have Facebook and really don't want to sign up for it for this. The Valve looked pretty nice too.

The biggest issue would probably be their eyes not being far enough apart.

I'm not sure what the average 8-year-old's IPD is but the mean for 5-year-olds is 51mm, 7mm shy of the index's lowest setting and 10mm shy of the Quest 2's lowest setting.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

GTO posted:

Was interested around market size for this kind of game though. Playing the initial levels on normal difficulty default settings I seemed to be dropping into most of the leaderboards at around 1000ish. I consider myself extremely average at games in general, does that mean only 2000ish people have bought pistol whip? The subreddit only has a few thousand members too. I thought it was a much bigger game than that, or is VR just a smaller market than I thought?
I believe the leader boards are incredibly fragmented as they're not just split by difficulty or weapon type, they're also further split by weapon modifications. Meaning your entry on classic is on a completely separate leaderboard from someone doing it with the revolver, which is separate from revolver + big head, which is separate from revolver + deadeye, etc etc

Like how I got a top 3 on a hard with boomstick + pistol whip required for reloading + no aim assist. There were only two other entries...

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

Has anyone tried https://immersed.com/ ? I think it looks kinda cool. I'm always wishing I had more screens and screen real estate. It only works on oculus, though :(

There's a linux WM for this: https://github.com/SimulaVR/Simula

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Tip posted:

The biggest issue would probably be their eyes not being far enough apart.

I'm not sure what the average 8-year-old's IPD is but the mean for 5-year-olds is 51mm, 7mm shy of the index's lowest setting and 10mm shy of the Quest 2's lowest setting.

Ah, thanks. I'll check to see how to measure things and see where he lands.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wandler20 posted:

A recent study does indicate that long term usage for children under 12 or whatever "may" cause development issues with core abilities like reflex etc.

It sounds like that so long as they don't live in it, its no different than anything else. It mostly has to do with those core things not being developed fully and the worry that it might damage that if used a ton. Its still early, and its 1 study.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

EbolaIvory posted:

A recent study does indicate that long term usage for children under 12 or whatever "may" cause development issues with core abilities like reflex etc.

It sounds like that so long as they don't live in it, its no different than anything else. It mostly has to do with those core things not being developed fully and the worry that it might damage that if used a ton. Its still early, and its 1 study.

Yeah, if definitely limit the usage, maybe a few times a week for like a half hour.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, if definitely limit the usage, maybe a few times a week for like a half hour.

ya you good. I've thrown a dozen kids that age into headsets, its fine and they really enjoy it.

Also theres baby shark on viveport! :D

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

EbolaIvory posted:

ya you good. I've thrown a dozen kids that age into headsets, its fine and they really enjoy it.

Also theres baby shark on viveport! :D

With that settled, which platform would you guys recommend?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

wandler20 posted:

My niece had fun playing Job Simulator and other simple stuff until she reached for something high and and just fell straight over. Just a scare and no injuries, but she had no idea what happened and she didn't appear to be trying to lean on anything, she just put one arm into the air and fell. So be aware that they're not as coordinated and more susceptible to getting off-balance or disoriented, and consider if you want to risk a child faceplanting, possibly into nearby furniture.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wandler20 posted:

With that settled, which platform would you guys recommend?

Do you hate facebook?

Pick a steamvr thing.

Otherwise? Just grab a quest 2 and go native for a lot of junk then use steamvr/virtualdesktop/airlink for stuff like babyshark or w/e.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Knight posted:

My niece had fun playing Job Simulator and other simple stuff until she reached for something high and and just fell straight over. Just a scare and no injuries, but she had no idea what happened and she didn't appear to be trying to lean on anything, she just put one arm into the air and fell. So be aware that they're not as coordinated and more susceptible to getting off-balance or disoriented, and consider if you want to risk a child faceplanting, possibly into nearby furniture.

Kids get way more immersed and literally forget about the real world momentarily.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Any recommendations for the highest-quality Spooky VR Games? I want something special to play for Halloween!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

EbolaIvory posted:

Do you hate facebook?

Pick a steamvr thing.

Otherwise? Just grab a quest 2 and go native for a lot of junk then use steamvr/virtualdesktop/airlink for stuff like babyshark or w/e.

I don't even have a Facebook account and really prefer not to have one but the Oculus looks like it's the easiest and most supported (could be wrong, like previously started I'm completely new to VR). My wife does have Facebook, how involved is it in regards to FB?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

wandler20 posted:

I don't even have a Facebook account and really prefer not to have one but the Oculus looks like it's the easiest and most supported (could be wrong, like previously started I'm completely new to VR). My wife does have Facebook, how involved is it in regards to FB?

I'm in the exact same position. I haven't had a Facebook account for many years, so everything with my Rift S is via my partner's account. Some things I've noticed after about a year of usage:

- She's only had to enter her FB login data once, during the initial setup of the system. We haven't been badgered about anything related to FB since then, and I've purchased plenty of games via the Oculus store and Steam with zero issues.
- Streaming can only really be done via Facebook. I haven't tried Twitch, but I've never gotten it to work with default settings via Discord. Maybe Discord streaming is just poo poo, but I've never had problems with it in the past- except for with Rift S.
- I've never been asked to link my personal Steam account with my girlfriend's Facebook account.

Honestly, it's easy to forget you're using a Facebook product. The only time you're really reminded is when the 'Social' tab of the Oculus API tries to tell you which games your Facebook friends are playing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mkvltra posted:

I'm in the exact same position. I haven't had a Facebook account for many years, so everything with my Rift S is via my partner's account. Some things I've noticed after about a year of usage:

- She's only had to enter her FB login data once, during the initial setup of the system. We haven't been badgered about anything related to FB since then, and I've purchased plenty of games via the Oculus store and Steam with zero issues.
- Streaming can only really be done via Facebook. I haven't tried Twitch, but I've never gotten it to work with default settings via Discord. Maybe Discord streaming is just poo poo, but I've never had problems with it in the past- except for with Rift S.
- I've never been asked to link my personal Steam account with my girlfriend's Facebook account.

Honestly, it's easy to forget you're using a Facebook product. The only time you're really reminded is when the 'Social' tab of the Oculus API tries to tell you which games your Facebook friends are playing.

Echoing all of this. You do technically end up with access to messenger and all that inside the headset, so you'd wanna disable all that but otherwise, its hard to tell you're dealing with facebook once you're inside.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Until the inevitable ad implementation

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Good to know, thanks for all the help everyone!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Does Facebook still ban people for having blank profiles attached to their Oculus accounts or was the backlash strong enough they quit that poo poo?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Another big takeaway for me was that the Finch Shift controllers will NOT be the ones you see if you look at Finch's website, etc. They will be manufactured by Lynx and made by them, with some design changes. The controllers will NOT have the armband like you see on them right now if you look them up. Sounds like a big plus to me. This is much better news.

e: Also kind of interesting that the clear front faceplate version is not just a clear plastic cover. They had to do a bunch of stuff to make it still work without an opaque cover (which affects how tracking LEDs, cameras, etc work) so it's a limited edition that isn't just a swapped plastic cover.

I'm not dropping an extra $200 for it, but I have to say I was a bit tempted when today I saw a photo of someone wearing it. Frankly it looks borg as gently caress :awesomelon:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 21, 2021

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Lacrosse posted:

Does Facebook still ban people for having blank profiles attached to their Oculus accounts or was the backlash strong enough they quit that poo poo?

I tried to re-register an FB account when I was first setting up my Oculus. I used a completely new email account- totally unassociated with any active account under my name. I was able to make the account, but couldn't actually activate it. Facebook was very clear to me why I wouldn't be able to make a new account: they knew it was me, the guy who permanently disabled his account in like 2015. Somehow, they knew it was me.

When you say you want to permanently remove your FB presence, they take that completely literally! Past, present, and future!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Trying to sell my Rift S on eBay right now, somebody sent a message asking how many GB it has... :cripes:

This is going to be a huge pain in the rear end, isn't it?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

mkvltra posted:

Any recommendations for the highest-quality Spooky VR Games? I want something special to play for Halloween!

Phasmaphobia if you have someone else to play with. Wilson's Heart is pretty fun for single player, though more for the atmosphere than gameplay.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'll play Phasmo with you if you don't have a group. Big patch is supposed to hit sometime soon

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I bought one of those cheap AMVR paddle adapters for Quest 2/Eleven TT. Not much to report other than it's a bit front heavy but otherwise works as advertised, going back to Touch-only feels very awkward. Calibration was just a menu option, Eleven has native support for a bunch of different adapters.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 21, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lacrosse posted:

I have a profile that isn't quite blank, but the bio says "I'm only using this for an Oculus login, don't message me because I won't respond" and it's been alive for about a year now. I think I logged into it like twice ever. Of course, as with all things Facebook, your mileage may vary depending on whatever Zuck had for breakfast

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

I bought one of those cheap AMVR paddle adapters for Quest 2/Eleven TT. Not much to report other than it's a bit front heavy but otherwise works as advertised, going back to Touch-only feels very awkward. Calibration was just a menu option, Eleven has native support for a bunch of different adapters.

How much? link?

I haven't played ETT in months, I was thinking on buying one as to motivation to come back again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lacrosse posted:

When they ban an account, it isn't because it was blank or because it was attached to an Oculus account, it was simply because their (automated?) systems believe it's a fake FB account done by a bot.

That system ~seems~ to work on the first days after creating an account. At least all the reports I have read were people who just created an account for the Quest, and they received a message saying it had been disabled.
If you create an account, be blank or with data, and in 4-5 weeks it's still ok, I think you will be ok going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I had watched before two or three films in the Quest 2, as a private cinema. But yesterday I decided to try something in 3d Avatar of course.
I never liked 3d in real cinemas, but in a VR headset, without flickering, glasses dimming the image, a good resolution and perfect stereoscopic effect (separate views for each eye), I have to say it was a pretty drat good experience!