Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0UCPkB6WOA

They are promising the first season pass free, with a new map, weapon and new enemy, and a horde mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shoefish posted:

I just can't get my Quest 2 comfortable. I've tried elite strap, DAS with adapter, I keep going back to the Rift S for any serious vr sessions. I would love it to bits if it was more comfortable.

With the DAS try loosening everything, putting the headset to your eyes, holding flush, and then pull the strap down in back over the back of your head. It should go all the way down past your crown almost to your neck. Tighten. Now fasten the top strap which will add some stability but not actual support.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Despite near universal praise, I just don’t think I like saints & sinners.

The thought of going to yet another clone stamped neighborhood isn’t super appealing.

I might try again on PC with a trainer to give me infinite health and stamina and just breeze thru the story to see what happens in it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hmm, I just had a crazy idea.
I wonder if I can jury rig a TENS unit to give me an electric shock every time I take damage in a VR game.

On one hand it sounds like a fun idea on the other hand it sounds like the absolute best way to smash the headset against the wall.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The thought of going to yet another clone stamped neighborhood isn’t super appealing.

I might try again on PC with a trainer to give me infinite health and stamina and just breeze thru the story to see what happens in it.

the bar is just really low for VR games, sadly.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder if I can jury rig a TENS unit to give me an electric shock every time I take damage in a VR game.

On one hand it sounds like a fun idea on the other hand it sounds like the absolute best way to smash the headset against the wall.

Please make a skyrim vr TENS unit mod

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

I know a guy who was paralyzed in a solo motorcycle accident. His wife put a TENS unit on his junk and was able to get a semen sample that she put into a syringe.

What I'm saying is you need to figure out how to make people cum with a TENS unit in VR and you'll be rich.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's overrated, yep. I wrote a year ago a post about it here.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://blog.vive.com/us/2021/12/09/htc-vive-expands-viverse-launch-vive-arts-nft-store/
https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-arts-nft-store/

"A blog post today announced the launch of the Vive Arts NFT store. It’s essentially a browser-based sales gallery – the platform will reportedly offer a chance for artists to sell art made in VR and AR as well as other digital works."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I like Saints and Sinners a lot because the basic loop appeals to me specifically, but I recognize it's really rudimentary and a few very basic development decisions kind of hobble it. It's still one of my favorites so far, but that's a combination of low bar and personal weaknesses.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Shoefish posted:

I just can't get my Quest 2 comfortable. I've tried elite strap, DAS with adapter, I keep going back to the Rift S for any serious vr sessions. I would love it to bits if it was more comfortable.

You still using the default foam? I have the padded leather for the fave gasket, AND the leather insert for the vive DAS for the crown of my head.

The vibe pro is still more comfy but it's not bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

https://blog.vive.com/us/2021/12/09/htc-vive-expands-viverse-launch-vive-arts-nft-store/
https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-arts-nft-store/

"A blog post today announced the launch of the Vive Arts NFT store. It’s essentially a browser-based sales gallery – the platform will reportedly offer a chance for artists to sell art made in VR and AR as well as other digital works."

I see HTC continue to act like they exist in a vacuum rather than read the goddamn room.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm extremely new to VR but it really does seem like the bar is low. I thought getting into it now I'd be getting into something a bit more mature, since it's been a good four or five years since it really became mainstream again, but pretty much every game feels like a rough analogue to the very early days of 2d games. People are still figuring out mechanics, how to replicate gameplay loops in a satisfying way, etc etc and it means there aren't any actual genre defining games yet. Alyx is the only game that I've tried that really felt like a proper full-budget game, and if it's a peek into the future of VR games then I am incredibly excited to see where things go. Boneworks is also fun and interesting but not quite as polished, and Blade and Sorcery feels like an alpha test even though it is also very fun

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Vertigo Remastered was fun but a Half Life homage.

I still play Jet Island fairly frequently. I probably won't be snowboarding this season so it's giving me the same downhill speed vibes.

Risk of Rain 2 VR is just as addictive as the pancake counterpart but that's entirely dependent on your feeling on the game anyway. Regardless it's a near perfect roguelike and has an expansion coming within a month or two.

I am going through GTA V slowly in VR and the plan is to do red dead 2 after that, but the Cyberpunk 2077 VR mod is releasing next month so I'm probably going to be doing a quick play through of that before the big patch/dlc comes out and changes everything

What games do you like in VR

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's the GTAV mod feel? I'm having trouble envisioning how the GTA:SA vr port (or this mod for that matter) would feel in VR since you're constantly getting in and out of cars and driving around and it sounds kind of vomit-inducing in theory.

I need to try the RoR2 mod again, last time I tried was prior to my GPU upgrade and it ran kind of assy.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I still can't believe there isn't an Oculus pro yet

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Compared to the type of poo poo I do in other VR games like dropping from insane heights and then snapping immediately into a swing or flying at like mach 2 and then coming to a dead stop it's nothing honestly.

I played that Ubisoft post apocalyptic Eagle game, Eagle Flight, which uses head aim - so you're dipping and flying at literal breakneck speeds because you have to jerk your head to guide yourself.

Head aim is the only knock against them. And no motion controls but it's a single guy doing it.

Apparently he has a significant update coming out that will give all of his mods proper stereoscopy, right now it's doing the "render one eye completely, send it out, render the other eye completely, then send that one out" which isn't as good as having both of the eyes generated simultaneously

Risk of Rain 2 is incredibly light weight. Hell the pancake version can run on a switch 🤷‍♂️

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I'm extremely new to VR but it really does seem like the bar is low. I thought getting into it now I'd be getting into something a bit more mature, since it's been a good four or five years since it really became mainstream again, but pretty much every game feels like a rough analogue to the very early days of 2d games. People are still figuring out mechanics, how to replicate gameplay loops in a satisfying way, etc etc and it means there aren't any actual genre defining games yet. Alyx is the only game that I've tried that really felt like a proper full-budget game, and if it's a peek into the future of VR games then I am incredibly excited to see where things go. Boneworks is also fun and interesting but not quite as polished, and Blade and Sorcery feels like an alpha test even though it is also very fun

Yeah. At this point I think it's less a 'we don't know how mechanics should work' thing and more a budget thing. Most VR games, given their polish, content, etc, seems to have been done by 1-8 devs. There is a lack of bigger dev teams, I'm not talking of 300 devs like in the big companies, but a more modest 30 dev team.
I think what is happening is, most established devs still don't trust the economic proposition that is making a VR game. Making a normal game profitable is already hard enough, as to limit themselves to a market that is 20 times smaller (even if there is less competition on it). Even if the Quest 2 success now is raising eyebrows, whatever projects that are brewing now will need two more years to be released, so there is a multi year delay in between the 'oh look VR is now bigger!' moment and companies releasing new bigger games because of it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Frog Act posted:

Subnautica in VR is pretty great

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 9, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Alctel posted:

Subnautica is VR is pretty great

Major understatement if you at all like Subnautica on flat already.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

forest spirit posted:

I played that Ubisoft post apocalyptic Eagle game, Eagle Flight, which uses head aim - so you're dipping and flying at literal breakneck speeds because you have to jerk your head to guide yourself.

I should google this instead of asking here, but is there a way to unlock all the poo poo in the game without doing a bunch of "collect the feather" bullshit? I just wanted to fly around and feel like a bird in cool looking landscapes.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I should google this instead of asking here, but is there a way to unlock all the poo poo in the game without doing a bunch of "collect the feather" bullshit? I just wanted to fly around and feel like a bird in cool looking landscapes.

Unless they've reworked it there should be a "Free Flight" option on the main menu that is just that, available right from the start.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah. At this point I think it's less a 'we don't know how mechanics should work' thing and more a budget thing. Most VR games, given their polish, content, etc, seems to have been done by 1-8 devs. There is a lack of bigger dev teams, I'm not talking of 300 devs like in the big companies, but a more modest 30 dev team.
I think what is happening is, most established devs still don't trust the economic proposition that is making a VR game. Making a normal game profitable is already hard enough, as to limit themselves to a market that is 20 times smaller (even if there is less competition on it). Even if the Quest 2 success now is raising eyebrows, whatever projects that are brewing now will need two more years to be released, so there is a multi year delay in between the 'oh look VR is now bigger!' moment and companies releasing new bigger games because of it.

I'd actually disagree with this pretty emphatically. Budget doesn't seem to correlate much with results that are really taking advantage of the technology (Medal of Honor lol), and I think a lot of things that are now "the standard" in VR suck kind of a lot. It feels like people still aren't learning from the games that came before them and we're still inundated with stick locomotion shooters and Beat Saber clones

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Anyone tried Smash Drums yet? The lack of a track listing in the promotion is troubling when playing tracks I recognize is the most fun for me in rhythm games.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone know if the Quest 2 is OK with hidden SSIDs? I remembered I have an unused AC router in my closet that I could use to dedicate to it but I don't want to publicize it.
Looks like you've already set something up but for the record Quest is an Android-based platform and should more or less work with anything Android does.

That said, "hidden" SSIDs are nothing but an inconvenience for a normal home user environment. There are legitimate reasons to disable beaconing, but they only come about when you have a lot of SSIDs on the same channel and the beacon frames start taking up a significant amount of airtime. Even then there are other ways to handle that problem which are less annoying to use.

There is absolutely zero security benefit to disabling beaconing unless you are entirely unable to use encryption and just want to stop random idiots from clicking on it and connecting. Anyone capable of breaking through even the most basic versions of WEP is also capable of seeing any activity on your "hidden" network. They may not see the user-friendly name (unless they are listening when a device connects, which they can cause by spoofing a deauth frame) but they'll still see the network and have the same ability to attack it as they would otherwise. Legitimate users will be more inconvenienced than any attackers.

Ironically having a "hidden" network on a mobile device can cause it to be revealed more widely if the device is set to automatically connect to the network. When that device wants to try to connect it has to broadcast a "Hey, is <network> around?" which it will happily do any time it's not connected to something else.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Alctel posted:

Subnautica in VR is pretty great

I gotta try this, I put like 250 hours into subnautica on a flatscreen both in EA and after, it's one of my favorite games of all time. It's not a separate purchase right? I see it on the Quest store but I can't quite tell if the Steam version I've owned forever already supports VR.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Frog Act posted:

I gotta try this, I put like 250 hours into subnautica on a flatscreen both in EA and after, it's one of my favorite games of all time. It's not a separate purchase right? I see it on the Quest store but I can't quite tell if the Steam version I've owned forever already supports VR.

Yeah the Steam version should just work out of the box.

There's a mod which makes it work better.

Note that it's a seated controller experience with significant motion sickness potential.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
VR is still in the early stages of a new technology that's getting traction with people. There's a lot of trying new stuff to see what sticks, but there's even more "implement the old on the new" because that's a stage every new technology goes through, before the real potentials of the platform can be leveraged. (And it is my personal belief that any technology that doesn't allow for that transition phase to happen is doomed to die as something that was "ahead of its time.")

Now this next part might sound weird, but in particular a lot of VR headsets and accessories right now kind of remind me of early firearm development, especially the late 1800s-to-early-1900s, when self-loading (i.e. semiautomatic) pistols were just starting to become a thing because the technology was there for it. Today there are known-good ergonomics, mechanisms, and safety features. Most modern ones basically work and look the same, fundamentally.

But that didn't spring fully-formed from anything. Back then, the finer points of the mechanics needed -- and especially ergonomics -- simply weren't figured out yet, and there was all kinds of super weird stuff that got tried and didn't survive to the modern day. That kind of thing happens with new technology. Heck, it happened with cars, too. There was some seriously weird poo poo in the early "horseless carriage" days. :iiaca:

Anyway, these early stages are also where even hobbyists can genuinely be breaking new ground and making important progress, when trying and doing new and interesting things. I agree with Lemming that it isn't a budget limitation, exactly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Before I got really interested in VR, I was operating under the assumption that even a basic set would run $1,000+. That was the thought my friends and family had as well.

It's great to see VR become more mainstream but it's never going to hit full saturation until more folks understand the lowish price for entry and what you actually need to play decent games. That's on the companies to communicate.

Plus, you can't really describe how VR feels without using it. A kind Goon bought me Star Wars Squadrons and, even though it doesn't have motion controls, being able to look around the cockpit as I'm dogfighting is incredible.

As much as I hate Facebook, the Oculus is the best entry by a wide margin because of the low price and that it can be portable, standalone AND use PCVR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Private Speech posted:

Yeah the Steam version should just work out of the box.

There's a mod which makes it work better.

Note that it's a seated controller experience with significant motion sickness potential.

Emphasis on the mod: it's pretty much a requirement unless you want such "features" as "your PDA is attached to the tip of your nose"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Plus, you can't really describe how VR feels without using it. A kind Goon bought me Star Wars Squadrons and, even though it doesn't have motion controls, being able to look around the cockpit as I'm dogfighting is incredible.

And not just the visuals, the controls as well. I think a lot of people probably assume that VR controls are kind of like Wii ports, where sometimes motion controls worked but otherwise they were at best an okayish alternative to button controls and just being different for the sake of it.

Both points are pretty evident in the comments below gameplay footage of the flatscreen Alyx mod, where there's always people who haven't played VR insisting that of course it'll be fine and don't you dare tell us how to play our games, like it's just a preference rather than integral to the experience.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Where the hell is After The Fall? Release date is today.

Edit: It just appeared in the store.

I know it may not be great. But i’m at least gonna play it for a couple hours then get a refund.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 9, 2021

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Brocktoon posted:

Anyone tried Smash Drums yet? The lack of a track listing in the promotion is troubling when playing tracks I recognize is the most fun for me in rhythm games.

Oh I have had it since it was on the App Store. Its lots of fun but there are no big name bands as far a music but you do get to know the songs fairly quickly

I have not played since the multiplayer update but it is a lot of fun. I dont know how to play drums in real life but it made me feel like a rockstar

Song list

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYwnNa2vIBoXtwKJdSzgSTLgpkIjP9G_0

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Potentially stupid question: I bought the old Oculus Rift (whatever the first commercial version was? Not sure, I lost it in Hurricane Harvey) and some games for it. Will I be able to play those games if I buy the Quest 2? I want to beat a robot to death with another robot's arm again.

Also, should I get the bigger one? I *think* usage will be split evenly between PC VR and standalone, but I am woefully out of date on the capabilities of the standalone games.

Edit: \/\/\/\/ Thanks! Wow, have to see if I even remember what that was... \/\/\/\/

Variable 5 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 9, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Log into your Oculus account, if they're in your library then hook up a Quest to your PC and play away!

E: if you're going to mostly be playing on PC then 128GB should be enough tbh, most games aren't that big.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 9, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Log into your Oculus account, if they're in your library then hook up a Quest to your PC and play away!

This, but also some games like robo recall are crossbuy, which means you can look them up on the quest store and get the standalone version for free if you've already bought them.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks all. I think I'll try the 128GB, may pick one up tonight.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Variable 5 posted:

Also, should I get the bigger one? I *think* usage will be split evenly between PC VR and standalone, but I am woefully out of date on the capabilities of the standalone games.

Unless you want to play the VR Medal of Honor - you probably don't, it's bad - then consensus seems to be that 128GB is more than comfortable? Most mobile VR games are pretty small right now, with that one ridiculous exception.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

NRVNQSR posted:

Unless you want to play the VR Medal of Honor - you probably don't, it's bad - then consensus seems to be that 128GB is more than comfortable? Most mobile VR games are pretty small right now, with that one ridiculous exception.

I remember the Eve game making me pretty sick. Robo Recall was tolerable. After thinking about it, I'm going with the 128 so I don't waste an extra $100 on something I may not be able to enjoy.

I am looking forward to trying it, though -- I had terrible (220/20) vision and wore glasses when I used the Rift, and I've had lasik since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Shoefish posted:

I was never able to get any headset really comfortable until I bought a battery pack (I bought this one but you can find it cheaper on sale or similar ones) and some velcro straps and attached it to the back of my Quest 2. I did it for longer battery life, and then realized a counterweight helps A LOT. Hell, if you don't want to shell out for a battery pack, just find something with a little heft and tie it to the back of your Quest, see how it works out for you.