Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

This is a fun game, as a native can I use the personalised music option if I buy the full game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found two very good Ragnarock customs for YYZ and Painkiller and played those back to back and boy are my arms tired :v:

Ragnarock customs are very hit and miss though. And there don't seem to be that many people making them which kinda stinks.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I really need to buckle down and make some Ragnarock maps, it's infinitely easier and more straightforward than Beat Saber maps and there's so few good ones. At least the game soundtrack sucks less than Beat Saber!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Resident Evil 4 is cool, but it's also a cakewalk, because the game wasn't meant to be played this way.

In the original game, you walked and backpedaled pretty slowly, you couldn't strafe, and you could only run in the direction you were facing (so to run away from something, you'd need to literally turn and run away). And, in infamous RE fashion for the time, you were stationary while aiming/shooting. It worked for the methodical feel the game was going for, versus being a fast-paced twitch shooter. You accepted that the movement was limited in order to make the game feel the way it did; it was gamey, but it served the game well.

In the Quest version, with smooth movement, you're at Leon's run speed at all times and in any direction, while having weapons drawn (both pistol and knife) and ready to shoot. You're an Unreal Tournament character plopped into Resident Evil 4, which is as overpowered as it sounds. You can circle strafe away from a thrown axe while simultaneously knifing the zombie you just kicked to the ground, which is a combination of actions that the game simply isn't designed around you being able to do and doesn't have an answer for. At least, that's been the case for the first hour.

This was also an issue with the Wii edition. Wiimote aiming turned your pistol into a sniper rifle and trivialized the shooting, and now you have that + Quake movement.

It's a fun game, and revisiting it 15 years later tickles the nostalgia nerve that helps elder millennials maintain the will to live, but it's also an example of a port's new mechanics not meshing with the original design.

When I play it again, I'll try using teleport movement, since that will presumably feel more restrictive than sprint-strafing with the flick of a thumb.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Shine posted:

... but it's also a cakewalk ...

Look, I agree, but Ashley keep getting killed and I've all but given up. I'm on the Castle Parapets, and that loving AI keeps walking into the path of big loving rocks.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if there's a big diff between superhot VR on PC and it on oculus quest? Played the demo and liked it. It's a lil cheaper on steam though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Regarding this:

Shine posted:

When I play it again, I'll try using teleport movement, since that will presumably feel more restrictive than sprint-strafing with the flick of a thumb.

Even if this makes the game more fun, I'll still be annoyed, because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHg99hwQGY
Skip to 38:28.

This whole video is worth watching, but Lesson 13 is something that applies to a bunch of games. *glares at Elite Dangerous*

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Is Sidequest good for much other than the fps game ports? Can you use it to play modded beat saber or anything like that?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Is Sidequest good for much other than the fps game ports? Can you use it to play modded beat saber or anything like that?

Last I checked Sidequest was necessary for Virtual Desktop's wireless VR capability, which turns your PCVR Quest 2 into a wireless experience. That alone was worth it for me.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

23 Skidoo posted:

Look, I agree, but Ashley keep getting killed and I've all but given up. I'm on the Castle Parapets, and that loving AI keeps walking into the path of big loving rocks.

Just tell her to not follow you.

There are like maybe 4 or 5 spots in the whole game where that gets her killed/kidnapped but for the majority of the game it's "stay here" clear the path "follow me."

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Just tell her to not follow you.

There are like maybe 4 or 5 spots in the whole game where that gets her killed/kidnapped but for the majority of the game it's "stay here" clear the path "follow me."

Tried that in multiple ways, in multiple places; she either gets conked by a rock or taken by someone I apparently haven't killed. I'll try again later. I've really hosed my death stats, but I haven't saved it, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Last I checked Sidequest was necessary for Virtual Desktop's wireless VR capability, which turns your PCVR Quest 2 into a wireless experience. That alone was worth it for me.

Can't you do that anyway with just a Quest 2?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Warmachine posted:

Hasn't been that way in a while. VD just "works" now. Oculus unfucked that whole situation a while back.

Vakal posted:

Can't you do that anyway with just a Quest 2?

Yeah, but in ye oldie quest times you had to cheat using sidequest and patch the store version after it was installed. It was really dumb.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Warmachine posted:

I don't think that's the case? You just download the client from their website and download the oculus app. I don't even think you'd be able to sell a game on their storefront while also requiring sidequest to use it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steam VR bestselling games of the year. No surprises
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/BestOf2021?tab=5

forest spirit posted:

I don't think that's the case? You just download the client from their website and download the oculus app. I don't even think you'd be able to sell a game on their storefront while also requiring sidequest to use it

He is talking of more than a year ago. It isn't the case anymore so it's a moot point.

23 Skidoo posted:

Tried that in multiple ways, in multiple places; she either gets conked by a rock or taken by someone I apparently haven't killed. I'll try again later. I've really hosed my death stats, but I haven't saved it, so I'm not sure if it counts.

There is a single enemy that appears on the initial area and takes care. Kill him when he appears and the area will be clear for her. Then again the 'I really hosed my death stats' makes me laugh.... who cares on a single player game?

You can mod Beat Saber with Sidequest or manually, if you know how to do it (how to install an apk with a command).

Shine posted:

Resident Evil 4 is cool, but it's also a cakewalk, because the game wasn't meant to be played this way.

In the original game, you walked and backpedaled pretty slowly, you couldn't strafe, and you could only run in the direction you were facing (so to run away from something, you'd need to literally turn and run away). And, in infamous RE fashion for the time, you were stationary while aiming/shooting. It worked for the methodical feel the game was going for, versus being a fast-paced twitch shooter. You accepted that the movement was limited in order to make the game feel the way it did; it was gamey, but it served the game well.

In the Quest version, with smooth movement, you're at Leon's run speed at all times and in any direction, while having weapons drawn (both pistol and knife) and ready to shoot. You're an Unreal Tournament character plopped into Resident Evil 4, which is as overpowered as it sounds. You can circle strafe away from a thrown axe while simultaneously knifing the zombie you just kicked to the ground, which is a combination of actions that the game simply isn't designed around you being able to do and doesn't have an answer for. At least, that's been the case for the first hour.

This was also an issue with the Wii edition. Wiimote aiming turned your pistol into a sniper rifle and trivialized the shooting, and now you have that + Quake movement.

It's a fun game, and revisiting it 15 years later tickles the nostalgia nerve that helps elder millennials maintain the will to live, but it's also an example of a port's new mechanics not meshing with the original design.

You don't need to use teleport mode, you can enable the tank controls, disable strafing, etc.
That said, I agree they would have gone the extra mile and really adapted to VR by changing the run speed (slow down 15%) and strafe speed (25% at least). It would be more immersive that way (sometimes I force myself to use the walk speed if there is no enemies) apart from making this a lil bit harder. And make stupid ladders climbable!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Extra row of tits posted:

This is a fun game, as a native can I use the personalised music option if I buy the full game?

You mean adding custom songs? If so then yes, although this guide might be a little outdated: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/dpvnzo/custom_songs_on_synth_riders/

Custom tracks are mostly found on https://synthriderz.com/

If you have a PC then there's a track creator on Steam but personally I found it completely and totally impenetrable.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

You don't need to use teleport mode, you can enable the tank controls, disable strafing, etc.
That said, I agree they would have gone the extra mile and really adapted to VR by changing the run speed (slow down 15%) and strafe speed (25% at least). It would be more immersive that way (sometimes I force myself to use the walk speed if there is no enemies) apart from making this a lil bit harder. And make stupid ladders climbable!

you can also turn off the gun laser to add a little difficulty to aiming

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

How do you all feel about Beat Saber? I’ve played the demo and it’s quite fun, but does it get any more complex?

Yup. It gets way more complex in many different ways.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1145716350

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Not really, anything original worth a drat on Sidequest jumped to App Lab when that launched. Though there is a cool Virtual Boy emulator on there that's worth grabbing. You also use it for adding custom songs to other music games like Synth Riders and Audica. It's also a good file manager since the Quest 2 doesn't pop up in Windows Explorer like the Q1 did, so you'd need that to get BMBF on there to mod the Quest version of Beat Saber.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How do you all feel about Beat Saber? I’ve played the demo and it’s quite fun, but does it get any more complex?

Also, when I cast to my TV the graphics are terrible and quite jerky, is there a way to make it look nicer? I’m using a chrome cast.

It gets pretty fun indeed, with the right song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_pn2PFsWKc

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

23 Skidoo posted:

Yeah, that got me a few times. Also the Gigante falling on her.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

roffels posted:

Yeah, that got me a few times. Also the Gigante falling on her.

I specifically went back and chose the other path for that reason, occurring thrice.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMGnsMccZHU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Haa anyone played the games in the current Fanatical bundle ( https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/fanatical-quest-vr-bundle ), recommended? It looks like a good range of experiences but I'm currently completely unable to tell good VR offerings from shovelware garbage

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I got After the Fall for Christmas
The UI is wonky in places like the crafting room where you grab the wrong items and whatnot. Also 1 in 5 runs you just never get to finish because the sever dies or the host bails

The game itself is lots of fun, the levels are not too huge and its so much fun to toss a pipe bomb into an unsuspecting hoard and watch 'em gib all over

I dunno if its $40 worth of fun, but I imagine they will do some updates

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Haa anyone played the games in the current Fanatical bundle ( https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/fanatical-quest-vr-bundle ), recommended? It looks like a good range of experiences but I'm currently completely unable to tell good VR offerings from shovelware garbage

Seems mostly like shovelware based on the few I played; that said it's not a bad buy for the price.

e: This seems like a better bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-elite-vr-bundle

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 28, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:sickos:

Not as impressive as the gloves that Facebook have been noodling around with for a few years that have haptics all down the fingers and palm, but definitely sleeker than the $40 DIY option that looks like an exploded Power Glove. It doesn't seem to be able to restrict your finger movements, unless I missed that in the video. They also managed to make it look as uninteresting as possible by having the guy hold his hands as stiff as a board and paw at his hands like a mannequin, so we didn't get to see its full range of motion.

Could be interesting, but I'll need to see more, as the trailer really doesn't sell it beyond the sleek form factor. Should be useful for streamers and people big into VRChat, whether it's tactile enough for regular users to bother with is another question.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Certainly no must-haves / AAA games in there, but everything I've tried so far has been worth at least $2 per game.

Has anyone played through Vanishing Realms: Rite of Steel?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Gadgeteer is worth it (if you are into physical driven puzzles). Ghost Giant is passable adventure, pretty. Gloomy Eyes is a 1 hour movie, it's nice. The rest seems crap.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Note that Gadgeteer is also in the other bundle I posted (albeit not the oculus version).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Has anyone kept up with Legendary Tales since it hit EA? I remember hearing it described as a bit of a co-op blade and sorcery kind of thing and looked fun but also still super early and unpolished.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is Everslaught any good?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:sickos:

Not as impressive as the gloves that Facebook have been noodling around with for a few years that have haptics all down the fingers and palm, but definitely sleeker than the $40 DIY option that looks like an exploded Power Glove. It doesn't seem to be able to restrict your finger movements, unless I missed that in the video. They also managed to make it look as uninteresting as possible by having the guy hold his hands as stiff as a board and paw at his hands like a mannequin, so we didn't get to see its full range of motion.

Could be interesting, but I'll need to see more, as the trailer really doesn't sell it beyond the sleek form factor. Should be useful for streamers and people big into VRChat, whether it's tactile enough for regular users to bother with is another question.

I can't quite figure out how these work, is it just small motors in the fingers that vibrate?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CrazyLittle posted:

Yup. It gets way more complex in many different ways.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1145716350

https://streamable.com/htfzww

That they do.

Mod maps and poo poo are getting wild as gently caress. Thats a newer one that will cripple your poo poo potentially but god drat it is pretty.

Also tech maps are getting really cool. so if you like interesting patterns and poo poo, gettings good for maps right now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I feel like I'm going insane again.

Reverb G2: I can get two days of play without a single issue and then some days I'll boot it up and it's such a stuttering mess that I can't play anything. In WMR it's perfectly fine but Steam VR shits the bed at completely random times.
I've done all the troubleshooting available, rolled back PCIe, updated and rolled back drivers for all sorts of stuff. It's even plugged in to a dedicated powered USB hub.

I just can't get a stable, reliable experience.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

I feel like I'm going insane again.

Reverb G2: I can get two days of play without a single issue and then some days I'll boot it up and it's such a stuttering mess that I can't play anything. In WMR it's perfectly fine but Steam VR shits the bed at completely random times.
I've done all the troubleshooting available, rolled back PCIe, updated and rolled back drivers for all sorts of stuff. It's even plugged in to a dedicated powered USB hub.

I just can't get a stable, reliable experience.

SteamVR is a wacky bitch.

Tried beta?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

explosivo posted:

Has anyone kept up with Legendary Tales since it hit EA? I remember hearing it described as a bit of a co-op blade and sorcery kind of thing and looked fun but also still super early and unpolished.

I played it a bunch when it first came out and had a blast, just looked on steam. They had a big update just come out on the 23rd that includes things like skill trees and open multiplayer servers

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I snagged the bundle and sculptvr is neat, zombie land is surprisingly fun (rail shooter), but I haven't had the chance to try anything else out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Frunk fan worthwhile or nah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Frunk fan worthwhile or nah?

I have a tiny Noctua fan in mine and I like it. Zero fogging issues since I installed it, and it does keep my face noticeably cooler.

Shine fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 29, 2021