Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I use the one by Kiwi, little pricier but good, and the new version has a battery flap so you don't need to remove it to change batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
Regarding the fanatical build your own bundle, I tried some of the games last night... Touring karts was a fun little experience, literally Mario kart in VR. Steer with one hand, use the other hand to grab and use items against enemies or yourself. Fun experience but I wouldn't pay full price for it.

Sculpt VR, same thing. Interesting experience but I couldn't figure out how to move so it was limited, but pretty cool to build stuff in 3d in front of you.

Ultra Wings was a fun flight arcade - super easy to get into and fly around. Made me sick though! Maybe l boot it up again later.

Rainbow reactor seems to have mini games, which were interesting but difficult for me to do so I gave up.

Lastly I tired star shelter -- pretty interesting flying around in space and fighting against zero gravity, but it also made me feel queasy so I gave up.

Ultimately, the best experience was synth raiders which was not I'm the bundle. It's my favorite game at the moment.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished RE4VR just now. 14 hours, 20 minutes.
The final boss was disappointing, I was expecting a multi-phase boss fight spectacle. I killed him without using the rocket launcher, lol.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I use the one by Kiwi, little pricier but good, and the new version has a battery flap so you don't need to remove it to change batteries.

TraderStav posted:

Bumping this to see if day crew has any recommendations they love on grips. I may just drop on the mamut brand that I had for the Quest 1 unless there's other input to consider. Thanks!

Kiwi kinda wins atm with the battery flipper cover thingy. I'm a mamut fanboy as far as company the goes and yeah swapping batterys with grips sucks.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
regarding grips:

I have been using the AMVR ones which are great but there are some issues... some apps rely on the base of the controller being able to touch a surface to map it out digitally and the little nubs prevent this from working. Also have to remove them to take the battery out and the strap slips from the catch gradually. Those new kiwi ones look really nice...

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I just ended up with these cheap no-name silicone grips for the Quest 2.

They protect all surfaces, including the rings. The silicone is cheap, but soft and pliable, which makes getting them off easier for changing the batteries. Not pretty, but they come in a number of colors, and I'm not looking at them while playing anyway.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

:eyepop: this looks much more appealing than the base game, wow. It looks like it's really easy to install on PC, too, just drop it in the "mods" folder wherever oculus installs B&S, I'm definitely gonna give this a try.

I also want to drop an endorsement for Pavlov in this thread, I've been having an absolute blast with it's multiplayer which really feels like a throwback to the era of CS 1.6 / DOD. It's $10 on steam right now and definitely the best price to content ratio I've seen in VR so far

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
You guys are forgeting the most important upgrade to your oculus.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Micr0chiP posted:

You guys are forgeting the most important upgrade to your oculus.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
The Resident Evil 2 and 3 VR mods, featuring motion controls and VRIK, has a release date, New Years day. January is going to be a good month for PC VR god drat.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Found a really interesting article on Meta's research into haptic gloves: https://uploadvr.com/meta-haptic-gloves-research/

The accompanying video is worth watching too, the inflating bits on the fingers look sci-fi as hell.

Gentleman Baller posted:

The Resident Evil 2 and 3 VR mods, featuring motion controls and VRIK, has a release date, New Years day. January is going to be a good month for PC VR god drat.

Looks like I need to pick those up then, hot drat.

E: if you don't have either game then there is a bundle on Steam called Raccoon City Edition that gives them to you for an absurdly low price, get it before the sales end if you have any intention of checking them out.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 30, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes, it’s called overload and some of the original descent devs worked on it as well

https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

I think I'll just save some money and projectile vomit by myself. Even playing decent on a PC made me queasy. I can't even imagine that working out well in VR.

Found a few weird, creepy things in accounting+. Fun game. Kinda short, but at least it keeps you wondering "what the gently caress?"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I wonder how you’d solve the size issue for fancy rear end haptic gloves. People probably don’t wanna buy like three different glove pairs to handle people with different sized hands.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Does lovely Oculus cloud backup works? I played several of these games more times since Dec 17th, I played RE4 every day the past four days. I let the device on (I usually powered it off after use) yesterday night, so it had time to connect to Internet and make the backups. But nothing, I'm going to have to do a manual backup before deleting RE4VR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Continuation of a talk from previous posts: we were talking of rhythm games, someone mentioned Audioshield, I saw it was broken on the Quest store, I got to contact the dev and he fixed it, and even gifted me a key.

So I hate to talk poo poo about it now, after he gave me a key... but after playing it a bit, I think it was only fair the game was quickly forgotten. It is basically a 'minimum viable product', an alpha, or whatever you want to say it. It's a VR prototype he did in 2016 when VR was new, to see what he could do, and it shows.
-It has a single game mode, unlike his Audiosurf games.
-Said game mode doesn't have precisely tons of mechanical complexity or space for gameplay nuance. It's very simple and plain, without ways to gain extra score, do combos, elements that throw a wrench while you play...
-It has barely any options or game modifiers (basically, it has 3 difficulties and normal or fitness mode).
-The UI is embarrassing, just a a blank box frame with a bunch of boxes button and lists inside. poo poo isn't even centered, with the options gear icon in particular being an eyesore and the big frame having a top margin but no bottom margin?
-Personally, I think is lacking some options to control how height the notes reach to you, the game put them near your head height if the song is intense, and can be not what you desire.
-you can't even enter the options while you play, you only can do it from main menu.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gentleman Baller posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK :woop:

Well I know what I'll be doing all weekend now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yep it's pretty basic, but it does do what you wanted in terms of responding to intensity in music.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just tried that Outer Rim mod for B&S and holy poo poo, it's awesome. I spawned a jetpack and was so excited that I ended up cratering myself trying to do a lightsaber drop on an enemy.

Later I also smacked into the side of a building while exploring and died.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More 'Quest selling a ton' tweets:

Lemming too:

... Lemming, is that indicative of the ratio between Quest and Steam users? I would have expected to be 4:1 or 5:1 in favor of Quest, but that looks like 50:1 ??!! (comparing Steam CCU vs your number)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

... Lemming, is that indicative of the ratio between Quest and Steam users? I would have expected to be 4:1 or 5:1 in favor of Quest, but that looks like 50:1 ??!! (comparing Steam CCU vs your number)

PCVR isn't dead or dying, it's doing better than it ever has.

It is not doing remotely as well as Quest. Quest is on a whole different level, it's barely even comparable

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird random thought, but I'm guessing there's not much of a :filez: scene for VR since it's fairly specialized and for specific hardware.

Tried that "don't touch anything" game but even though it says it's for sitting, there's poo poo going on behind you and no way to turn the view other than to turn your body. I guess by sitting they mean on a stool or office chair or something. Least the refund policy is good.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
theres a very robust :filez: scene for VR both native quest and PCVR stuff

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I imagine FB is waiting for Quest 3 to start to lockdown more the device. Right now people can copy an .apk and be done. There is no hardware DRM.

I think this is why they started time ago to ask a phone number or credit card for developer accounts (needed for sideloading). Because they needed something that would identify people and it wasn't easy to generate a new 'id'.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's probably going to end up being a huge digression from the threadtopic but it may be the case they never make a move apart from prevention because pirates tend to buy a buttload of games themselves. Removing them from the platform might not be the advice they get from the bean counters. Then again, who knows? They haven't done anything at all apart make the category for unauthorized software menacingly colored red

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 31, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In general terms, I think it's clear they are aiming a 'mainstream' public which usually isn't tech-savvy, and won't know how to pirate.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat, I'm surprised. I thought with it being special hardware, it'd be way more "exclusive" I guess. I guess it's just the idea it's based off a thing that not a lot of people have, like comparing consoles numbers vs a speciality headset that's self contained.

Not advocating piracy, support your makers unless they are EA. Like I said, random thought while I was waiting for my cane's order.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

drat, I'm surprised. I thought with it being special hardware, it'd be way more "exclusive" I guess. I guess it's just the idea it's based off a thing that not a lot of people have, like comparing consoles numbers vs a speciality headset that's self contained.

Not advocating piracy, support your makers unless they are EA. Like I said, random thought while I was waiting for my cane's order.

Nah it’s literally just a powerful android phone with a special display. Pirating is like it is on any android device.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, PCVR is now completely stable for me ONLY if I use a driver/hotfix from last year. Oh well, no issues yet.

I modded Blade and Sorcery a bunch, which was CRAZY easy, and it really invigorated my interest.

Anyone have issues where you can die from your own jumps? If I hold the button down and go forward, I fly forward and die on landing. This happened before I started modding as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Computer wise... It's an Android device, with a mobile chip. So it's pretty similar to a smartphone, except lacking the antenna and modem to make calls.
And well, piracy has always been a easy thing with Android.

Personally, I don't believe they are gonna brick devices, or even ban the associated FB accounts. But I think eventually they will start banning accounts for the Developer mode. Which would be fair if they got you with High Seas stuff, and you still could using it and buying stuff legally from the store.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Well, PCVR is now completely stable for me ONLY if I use a driver/hotfix from last year. Oh well, no issues yet.

What GPU?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GeForce 3070. It's a widely known issue where it stutters a shitload, doesn't load some stuff and will often lose connection.
Rolling back a good ways resolved it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nah it’s literally just a powerful android phone with a special display. Pirating is like it is on any android device.

I mean, not exactly. As far as I know, nobody has been able to break it without going through the dev mode process, which requires you to sign up with Oculus as a developer, which unlocks sideloading. They've pretty clearly kept this path open intentionally, they could block it if they wanted to. I don't think it's in their overall best interest to, obviously, but they aren't like, at the mercy of the platform, it's a choice they made.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I modded Blade and Sorcery a bunch, which was CRAZY easy, and it really invigorated my interest.

Anyone have issues where you can die from your own jumps? If I hold the button down and go forward, I fly forward and die on landing. This happened before I started modding as well.

They definitely have it set so that certain velocities will kill you if your body strikes anything solid, but I guess they also forgot to make sure you can't do that simply by sprinting and jumping. I assume it's because jumping adds velocity, so combine that with your normal sprinting/running speed and the game calculates that as fatal fall damage.

Removing fall damage is an option in the "Cheats" menu so there's that at least :shrug:

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Anyone here ever lose save progress in Demeo? I was working through a dungeon a level at a time and came back to play the third one and everything was gone.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ohhhh right, I forgot about the cheat menu. That'll make practicing archery a lot easier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

I imagine FB is waiting for Quest 3 to start to lockdown more the device. Right now people can copy an .apk and be done. There is no hardware DRM.

I think this is why they started time ago to ask a phone number or credit card for developer accounts (needed for sideloading). Because they needed something that would identify people and it wasn't easy to generate a new 'id'.

Most likely they'll go with something proprietary instead of Android for the next Quest. It gets Google's API out of their walled garden, and they can do whatever they like on their own OS. They don't have to give two shits about sideloading dying as a result, because they can just shrug and point at App Lab. Which was the point of App Lab existing in the first place.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Goons, I have an HP reverb 2 that I haven’t used in forever. For those who have one, what kind of system do you need to play with the default eye resolution? I know it depends on the game, but in particular I play Elite Dangerous and Half Life Alyx.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

HL Alyx is incredibly lightweight compared to almost everything else. I think a 2070 Super or something would run native res. I would say 3070 for Elite

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Holy crap a ton of kids got quests over Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, since it almost took an act of god to get an Xbox or PlayStation, I'm guessing most parents just got what they could, and oculus was pretty easy to find. "Sorry son, couldn't find the PS5 but here's some virtual reality and drive cash for games!" And they still come out ahead on saving some money.

Also, the room vr is amazing and I love it and everyone needs to play it but holy gently caress there's an organ playing puzzle and I'm ready to stab the creative team because of it.

I kinda love it and hate it cause I spent a good 15 mins looking for some kinda handle to move poo poo before I realized "oh yea, I have hands" and the poo poo worked and I felt dumb.