Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

Well my standout of newer VR games so far is Space Docker VR. Took me a few minutes to understand the controls and it's still a bit hard without actual HOTAS feedback but the actual gameplay is pretty compelling overall.

Trying to deal with proper physics and momentum in space is an experience, to say the least.

is there a lot to do? the steam page makes it look pretty barebones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Too early for me to tell, I'm still going through the career mode, but I could see how it could be a bit barebones overall.

Either way, I've had less fun for $15.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Starting to do some of the higher difficulty poo poo in Pistol Whip and I can see how this can be considered a workout. Hell, that's quickly becoming one of my favorites too, though. Just hard to justify playing more when your brow is getting sweaty and the lenses are fogging up :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If anyone hasn't tried Smash Drums, god drat that is the best thing. Its ruined other rhythm games for me. If it had custom tracks I would probably play it forever. I've tried Synth Riders because it seems to have the most buzz and I just don't get it, it didn't seem that fun. Same with Beat Saber. Its mainly because they don't feel like rhythm games, they just feel like games with a nice soundtrack playing in the background. After playing Pistol Whip I was surprised to learn people consider it a rhythm game, I wasn't getting that at all from it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If anyone hasn't tried Smash Drums, god drat that is the best thing. Its ruined other rhythm games for me. If it had custom tracks I would probably play it forever. I've tried Synth Riders because it seems to have the most buzz and I just don't get it, it didn't seem that fun. Same with Beat Saber. Its mainly because they don't feel like rhythm games, they just feel like games with a nice soundtrack playing in the background. After playing Pistol Whip I was surprised to learn people consider it a rhythm game, I wasn't getting that at all from it.

How does it compare to Ragnarock?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Organza Quiz posted:

How does it compare to Ragnarock?

Funny you should ask, that's next on my list of stuff to play. Based on what I've read I expect it to be worse but we shall see. Both it and Pistol Whip were in the latest Humble Bundle so it was kind of a no-brainer to get both. I'll definitely post my opinions in the next day or so.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Protocol7 posted:

Well my standout of newer VR games so far is Space Docker VR. Took me a few minutes to understand the controls and it's still a bit hard without actual HOTAS feedback but the actual gameplay is pretty compelling overall.

Trying to deal with proper physics and momentum in space is an experience, to say the least.

Glad to see Zero Caliber added more of a story, it's generic as gently caress but sometimes you just wanna shoot dudes in VR.

I really liked the concept and presentation of the game but drat did it ever make me motion sick. I had to refund it, I was getting the sweats just trying to get through the tutorials. I think it was the sideways drifting that comes from having proper momentum in space.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Shadow Point. Although it follows more the Portal model where the puzzles are presented more in discrete bites.

This game has a weird bug where if you play it on a secondary account there is no audio. Does anyone have a work around for that? I bought it for my wife with some free credits I had on my account, if she logs into my account on her quest she can play it but there is absolutely no audio. It's very weird.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

StarkRavingMad posted:

I really liked the concept and presentation of the game but drat did it ever make me motion sick. I had to refund it, I was getting the sweats just trying to get through the tutorials. I think it was the sideways drifting that comes from having proper momentum in space.

I'm so glad none of that sort of stuff seems to affect me. I'll get disoriented coming out of VR sometimes but I don't know that I've ever gotten motion sick or anything.

Black holes in this game are a bitch to deal with though. I can barely match velocity on a regular moving container, let alone trying to orbit something at the same time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ragnarock wasok, but it has this weird mobile game esque quality to it that a lot of cheaper VR games tend to have. There’s a big physical disconnect in Ragnarock because your avatar in game is wielding these bigass hammers but for you they are weightless so in the end it feels like you’re playing whack a mole with balloons. Meanwhile Smash Drums successfully tricks my brain into believing I’m playing actual drums. It really feels like that first time you tried the Rock Band drums back in the day. In fact I’ve spoiled myself by having Smash Drums be the first VR game I really sank my teeth into on my new Quest, because now other games feel cheap and mobile gamey by comparison.

Has anyone played that Unplugged: Air Guitar game? Wondering how it stacks up to Smash Drums as far as emulating the original experience of playing Rock Band/Guitar Hero

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 17, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kitchner posted:

It's one of the reasons firing bows in VR is weird because there's no force you're pulling back and you can't feel the arrow against the bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbFln8r21XI

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ragnarock wasok, but it has this weird mobile game esque quality to it that a lot of cheaper VR games tend to have. There’s a big physical disconnect in Ragnarock because your avatar in game is wielding these bigass hammers but for you they are weightless so in the end it feels like you’re playing whack a mole with balloons. Meanwhile Smash Drums successfully tricks my brain into believing I’m playing actual drums. It really feels like that first time you tried the Rock Band drums back in the day. In fact I’ve spoiled myself by having Smash Drums be the first VR game I really sank my teeth into on my new Quest, because now other games feel cheap and mobile gamey by comparison.

Has anyone played that Unplugged: Air Guitar game? Wondering how it stacks up to Smash Drums as far as emulating the original experience of playing Rock Band/Guitar Hero

Yeah you're somehow ruined by smash drums which is cool, but like, the other games aint bad suddenly.

I personally wouldn't play it over anything else in the music space, and I honestly do not know anyone who continued to play it after making whatever content they were paid to make.

Again, Cool you really like the game but like, idk, I wouldn't call it "the best music game in VR".

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I did not enjoy the game at all really. The fun of Guitar hero is i have this fake guitar i can kind of replicate playing on, Unplugged its just hand tracking doing squiddliy fingers in the air

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I tried Unplugged, the air guitar game. Its ok, not having a physical guitar to move your hand up and down on and strum with just make it very awkward. the guitar stays frozen in place, you can only move the neck around but you have to stay in one place. Since i wasn't sure where where the strings were i was constantly looking down at my right strumming hand and then over to the left to see my guitaring chord fingers and its a big strain on my neck. Also you have to grip the pick to strum, but since there is no force feedback you dont really have a feel for when your strumming correctly.

As far as the music goes, there isnt an auditory indicator that you are "hitting the right notes" like if you missed a note in Guitar hero. you either fail the hand tracking or pass. i did not enjoy it and got a refund

Not as fun as Guitar Hero.

re Ragnarock vs Smash Drums

Ragnarock feels like a rhythm game you just happen to have to drum in, it could be just button presses. Smash drums feels like im playing drums along with a song

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 17, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had the complete opposite experience playing smash drums after playing a ton of Ragnarok first, haha. Smash drums felt more like a cheap videogame to me and Ragnarok has the visuals and surprisingly kick rear end soundtrack that really sealed the deal and made it one of my favorite VR games. I didn't like how smash drums does the "spinning around in place" thing, and even if you disable that it still moves drums around where you need to be hitting for like a snare hit or a cymbal so I kept getting confused during songs because it wants me to watch where I should be hitting too instead of using muscle memory. It's been a long time and I only tried the demo so maybe it's better in that regard but I'm firmly in the 'Ragnarok is the better vr drums experience' camp.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, but Jordan won more championships

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I am finally forced to accept that the VR Cover face cushions are utter dogshit. First off, even the thick one has no support. It will smoosh flat down all the way to the plastic with any resistance. Also that fake leather material they use turns as slick as grease as soon as even a drop of sweat touches it, so any vigorous activity turns into an exasperating series of headset adjustments.

It sucks because their fitness cover actually does stop the lenses from getting fogged up. But that cushion you velcro to it is poo poo.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

I've tried Synth Riders because it seems to have the most buzz and I just don't get it, it didn't seem that fun. Same with Beat Saber. Its mainly because they don't feel like rhythm games, they just feel like games with a nice soundtrack playing in the background. After playing Pistol Whip I was surprised to learn people consider it a rhythm game, I wasn't getting that at all from it.

IME these games only really start to make sense once you're playing them on a reasonably high difficulty, and well enough that you aren't just constantly failing and getting frustrated. At lower difficulties they're just not engaging and the tracks are too sparse for the rhythm aspects to really exist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah you need to be hitting hard at least before Best Saber isn't dull as dishwater. It doesn't help that most custom tracks are tuned extremely hard so some Hard tracks are expert + level difficulty

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah the jump from normal to hard on some BS tracks had me :stare:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Pistol Whip has me sweating a shitton which is probably good for my health overall but drat I'm gonna have to get some spare face covers or something, they're gross as hell when they're sweaty.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ragnarock wasok, but it has this weird mobile game esque quality to it that a lot of cheaper VR games tend to have.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when this isn't just how literally every single made-for-VR game feels to me :smith: It's hard to elucidate why but none of them feel like "real games", they all feel like proof-of-concept tech demos at most. I've played every game that gets suggested at me when I say I don't like motion controls and I haven't found a single made-for-VR game aside from Superhot that doesn't feel like playing a weird facebook or mobile cash grab game. Even HL:Alyx wore out its welcome after less than an hour for me

Pretty sure I'm in an incredibly small minority here but I hate everything about "VR" except for the actual headset itself. Motion controls will never be fun, hand-tracking is still an incredibly long way off from being anything more than a novelty, room-scale is neat in concept but as an apartment-dweller it's not even a thing I can consider - I don't have enough space and if I did, I'd just be pissing off my downstairs neighbor by jumping and stomping around.

I wish more devs were making PC-focused VR games that don't use motion controls. A VR headset as a peripheral is freakin' rad and can add so much to immersion, scope, scale, and excitement even with WASD movement or gamepad controls, I just really wish devs would stop trying to like, insert me into a digital environment that I physically interact with, and instead just let me be a floating camera over my character's head in Elden Ring or give me more immersion in cockpit-sitting games or let me look at my city in a city builder as if it was a miniature diorama in front of me. Instead, that stuff is mostly in the realm of modders. Demeo looked incredibly up my alley until I found out that you can't play with a mouse or gamepad and you have to use motion controls :(

As an aside though I will praise Superhot VR for being good and fun with motion controls in a way that wouldn't work in any other game, but also at the same time demonstrating to me why I should never play room scale games again by making me constantly bump into things, reach my hand up into my spinning ceiling fan, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 18, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

pavlov?

also you might want to just play E:D or race/flight sims i guess, if you don't want any motion controls

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pavlov is the exact sort of thing I dislike in VR/motion controls. I just want to play regular videogames with the added immersion of true first-person perspective or being able to turn my head to look at things damnit :argh: That's what I bought into VR hoping for but my Quest has been gathering dust and cat hair for over a year, almost entirely untouched (I already played a lot of Elite, Valheim VR mod and Subnautica), because every developer is trying to create some kind of alternate (virtual :v: ) reality that I can ~interact with in all new ways~ instead of just using the headset as a videogame peripheral.

There's nothing more immersion-breaking than the subtle disconnect between what my real body is doing and what my virtual body is doing in a game like Pavlov.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 18, 2022

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when this isn't just how literally every single made-for-VR game feels to me :smith: It's hard to elucidate why but none of them feel like "real games", they all feel like proof-of-concept tech demos at most. I've played every game that gets suggested at me when I say I don't like motion controls and I haven't found a single made-for-VR game aside from Superhot that doesn't feel like playing a weird facebook or mobile cash grab game. Even HL:Alyx wore out its welcome after less than an hour for me

Pretty sure I'm in an incredibly small minority here but I hate everything about "VR" except for the actual headset itself. Motion controls will never be fun, hand-tracking is still an incredibly long way off from being anything more than a novelty, room-scale is neat in concept but as an apartment-dweller it's not even a thing I can consider - I don't have enough space and if I did, I'd just be pissing off my downstairs neighbor by jumping and stomping around.

I wish more devs were making PC-focused VR games that don't use motion controls. A VR headset as a peripheral is freakin' rad and can add so much to immersion, scope, scale, and excitement even with WASD movement or gamepad controls, I just really wish devs would stop trying to like, insert me into a digital environment that I physically interact with, and instead just let me be a floating camera over my character's head in Elden Ring or give me more immersion in cockpit-sitting games or let me look at my city in a city builder as if it was a miniature diorama in front of me. Instead, that stuff is mostly in the realm of modders. Demeo looked incredibly up my alley until I found out that you can't play with a mouse or gamepad and you have to use motion controls :(

As an aside though I will praise Superhot VR for being good and fun with motion controls in a way that wouldn't work in any other game, but also at the same time demonstrating to me why I should never play room scale games again by making me constantly bump into things, reach my hand up into my spinning ceiling fan, etc.

I like VR and motion controls more than this, but I do agree that the current motion controller paradigm leaves something to be desired. Some of my favorite VR games have been played with a gamepad, like Resident Evil 7 or a recent favorite, Overload.

The next thing I would really like out of VR is good haptic gloves as controllers. We're still probably 5-10 years away from that, though, if not longer.

I don't think Demeo in particular is hurt by its motion controls, if only because it's a board game, and the controllers are mostly just point and click. edit: Grabbing the pieces and moving them around doesn't feel that much different from clicking them around, to me at least.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Butt Discussin posted:

The next thing I would really like out of VR is good haptic gloves as controllers. We're still probably 5-10 years away from that, though, if not longer.

I think this is exactly what would get me on-board with motion controls. Once there's a tactile feeling to go along with the motions, I'm all in. Once it feels the same as interacting with real objects in the real world, sure. I've seen the home-built gloves posted earlier in this thread and that stuff is extremely rad, but it just won't be for me until the tech is 100% there and the games support it.

Motion controls even for something similar like how you described Demeo feels like using hands without opposable thumbs. Yeah I can pick things up and move them but I can't manipulate them in any meaningful way. It's not like it's "bad" or annoying to physically do, but it feels so much less natural to me than a mouse or gamepad would, and then I can't stop myself from getting frustrated that they didn't just go with mouse or gamepad controls instead - it's clumsier than the tried-and-true options for no added benefit and my brain can't deal with that kind of inefficiency :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 18, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Butt Discussin posted:

You should try building that $60 pair the dude on YT rigged up. They're not pretty but would make.a fun project

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have played a lot of PSVR stuff, including ultrawings with no comfort stuff on. Tons of beat saber and Firewall, superhot, all kinds of stuff and never felt sick.

I get my Rift 2 and things are fine until I try this Vanishing Realms game in the humble bundle.

I am barely into it and it and even just with teleporting around I feel a bit weird. Then I climb up a rope and I have to shut off the game and drink cold water and get fresh air. Am I getting old or is this game just whack?

Also my Rift 2 feels too tight at my forehead and too loose at the bottom, I think I need to adjust this thing a bit.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

deep dish peat moss posted:

There are a lot of games where all I would want from a VR mode is for it to tie mouselook to the headset. Just let me look around by looking around. Actually pointing at things with my hands is cool sometimes but I mainly dropped all this cash to be able to strap a screen to my face and have it follow me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That's how I imagined VR at the start, in 2015 or whatever. I imagined myself playing Arma 3, a first person PC game with lots of immersion, and which have a key feature, you can decouple your (head) view from the weapon and movement by holding a key, so you can look around while jogging forward.
So I thought of myself playing that with a headset, with that feature always active, and me looking around while seated with the fingers in WASD.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Motion controls rule and are the entire reason VR rules, most games just do a terrible job of trying to incorporate them by being half rear end. Basically every stick locomotion game falls into this trap.

I still maintain that Echo Arena is the best VR game and I still don't think it's particularly close

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Any new headsets expected to be released this year? Got the PCVR bug and haven't been keeping up to date since the G2 was released. Don't want to drop a bunch on an index (non-us) and have gabe poo poo out something cool

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doesn't look like anything will happen this year, Valve are focused on Deck which isn't necessarily a bad thing for any future Valve VR product as the work they're doing for SteamOS for Deck directly helps their standalone PCVR efforts.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

queef anxiety posted:

Any new headsets expected to be released this year? Got the PCVR bug and haven't been keeping up to date since the G2 was released. Don't want to drop a bunch on an index (non-us) and have gabe poo poo out something cool

Cambria, possibly Pico Neo 4.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Isn't ps2vr meant to be out this year? I suppose there might not be massive overlap with this thread though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't think Sony ever gave a date for the PSVR2, not even a vague year so it might be this year but also I wouldn't be surprised if it was next year. Pico is really the company to watch in terms of people with the resources to actually provide a cheaper good headset that doesn't Zuck, if the Neo 4 is actually decent it might be what I ditch my Quest for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

I don't think Sony ever gave a date for the PSVR2, not even a vague year so it might be this year but also I wouldn't be surprised if it was next year. Pico is really the company to watch in terms of people with the resources to actually provide a cheaper good headset that doesn't Zuck, if the Neo 4 is actually decent it might be what I ditch my Quest for.

We're at the time of year when game companies often go a little radio-silent to push out a big announcement June/E3-ish, so that's not quite as telling as you think in Sony's case. If that window passes and nothing happens, then yeah it's probably not this year.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

Isn't ps2vr meant to be out this year? I suppose there might not be massive overlap with this thread though.

Well, he said PCVR. There is no definitive data for PSVR2. I mean, I think most people thought it will surely launch at the end of the year, with the Christmas campaign, however there are rumors that may be delayed until Q1 2023.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

didnt the Neo 3 just get announced?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It recently got released as a consumer model in Europe, I think it's been around a while but only as an enterprise subscription thing. They explicitly said the consumer launch was a test, so assuming it's a success the 4 will likely have a consumer model right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

didnt the Neo 3 just get announced?

It was announced for some Western territories, but it's really a headset that launched past year in China. The thing is, the company said it will include a discount for their next headset that will launch 'in the next 12 months*', which is making people think it will come 'soonish'.

*: source
https://uploadvr.com/pico-hints-neo-4-launches-12-months/