Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Picked up PaintingVR
It looks neat but I just don't know what I'm doing. There are no presets and I dunno the button layout. There is an in game browser that is pretty neat and you can export your art to the Oculus not just as a screenshot.

I guess im going to have to join the discord to find out more but its gonna take more than 2 hours for me to get any firm feelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I didn't find PaintingVR very useful to me. I'm entirely a novice but whenever I tried an idea in PaintingVR I basically ran into "it doesn't do that [very well]". This was back when I paid for an early copy via sidequest but I never went back to it. (and from a consumer mentality point of view: lol at paying for it "twice" now that it has a real release even if I did think it was okay, which I do not)

Then I got Vermillion (PC version) and hell yeah, that's what a painting app is supposed to be like.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So Facebook might be thinking about gimping Link. Some people have reported the 90hz and 120hz options disappearing in v39, some saying they still have it so it looks like one of those random test changes tech co's loving love.
https://twitter.com/AntonHand/status/1516551686927515650

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

njsykora posted:

So Facebook might be thinking about gimping Link. Some people have reported the 90hz and 120hz options disappearing in v39, some saying they still have it so it looks like one of those random test changes tech co's loving love.

They better loving not

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

njsykora posted:

This was happening in the v39 PTC as well - and across the entire HMD (ie: Virtual Desktop and even native titles like ping pong were all limited to 72hz).

38 and 39 both seem really buggy and it’s loving dumb you can’t downgrade considering how some of the reported bugs basically force you to wipe the device (and possibly still not fix the problem).

Eg: if you’re on v38 and play with guardian off, make SURE you turn that poo poo back on or disable updates. Updating to v39 PTC with guardian off required a factory reset and I wouldn’t be surprised if that particular bug made it out of PTC.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/TripwireInt/status/1516476627965947906

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

God if they managed to make a VR Chivalry or an actual proper VR Killing Floor... :allears:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Perestroika posted:

God if they managed to make a VR Chivalry or an actual proper VR Killing Floor... :allears:

I hope for the first, but surely it will be the latter (and I don't care for Killing Floor).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If there's a stick locomotion zombie shooter I am going to lose it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

Yeah, it makes so much sense (given the perceived market) that's what I imagine it will be. Wave based zombie horde shooter... but now in VR! Totally innovative experience never seen before!

Meta has a new update to hand tracking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-l-RXxYnzs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leCabKt9-7Q

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

It will definitely be a gamepad-only zombie shooter rhythm game

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been playing a lot of KF2 lately with my friends including the two I played payday 2 in VR with so I'm reeeeeally hoping this is going to be an actual factual VR killing floor.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It will definitely be a gamepad-only zombie shooter rhythm game

But it's probably this :sigh:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
It's a Chivalry rhythm game where you have to yell "FOR AGATHA" at the right time irl.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

njsykora posted:

oh don't worry about it, it's just a cheeky little bug.
it's alright. it's definitely not A/B testing to see how much outrage there will be if they remove the feature for good.
really, it's cool. it's totally not part of their plan to deprecate PCVR in a few years so people are forced into the metabooculus ecosystem (where valve etc. don't get any money)

:tinfoil:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

if the next quest or whatever doesn't have PCVR support i would not be surprised at all

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

God please give us Chivalry VR. PLEASE

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh, the Meta showcase will be on 04/20. Someone funnier than me should make a joke about drugs and VR.
The future livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPfI_azgDY

Quoting myself. 70 minutes to go.

Past year they showed (so we can compare):

-The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners update Aftershoks
-Star Wars: Tales From the Galaxy’s Edge Part II
-Star Wars Pinball VR
-I Expect You To Die 2
-Wraith - The Oblivion: Afterlife
-Resident Evil 4 VR
-Lone Echo II
-Carve Snowboarding
-After the Fall
-Pistol Whip: Smoke & Thunder
-Warhammer 40,000: Battle Sister
-The Climb 2, un DLC

I also expect a short video announcing the hand tracking 2.0 update and another for the new wifi usb thing. It's more doubtful if they will talk/show/officially announce the Cambria device, this in theory is just a 'gaming showcase', not something to announce their new shiny headset. As much, they could do an 'announcement of announcement', saying 'at future date xx we will present our new hardware'.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

marumaru posted:

if the next quest or whatever doesn't have PCVR support i would not be surprised at all

I hope oculus gets it together then with media production because they still use steamvr and its not looking like they are trying very loving hard not to. MRC sucks.

Plus openxr. So whatever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

I hope oculus gets it together then with media production because they still use steamvr

What are you referring to? Where do they use steamvr?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

What are you referring to? Where do they steamvr?

So most games videos and marketing stuff is captured using steamvr copies of games, trackers, and a quest on combined playspaces using things like LIV for mixed reality.

They don't have the tools internally to "do" that kind of poo poo outside of MRC at the moment and its pretty trash. Its getting better, but its still not nearly as good as doing things steamvr side. So any time you see true "mixed reality" its probably LIV and a combo of steamvr poo poo.

I've worked on a few sets for oculus. Its pretty hilarious.

I don't doubt eventually they'll stop needing that kind of support but sooo many titles still use steamvr for that kind of thing I just don't see it happening anytime soon. At least "killing pcvr support" entirely ya know? More so with openxr hopefully becoming a standard.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ah ok. Yeah, some marketing videos use pc version of the games (which is always questionable, when it's presented as if it was Quest), and all that.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
everytime she says meta quest

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For now we knew almost everything announced (Red Matter 2, Espire 2, both gave hints in tweets).

Red Matter 2 is looking bigger and now with action too. Espire 2 is bringing coop and more possibilities like different frames (action vs stealth).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mercenaries mode is out now on Resident Evil 4 VR :toot:

Pretty expected, but nice to finally get it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

zuckerbot is a great comedian, it never fails to make me laugh whenever they wheel it out on stage

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

whats a ghostbusters?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Disappointing. I thought this year they would have more games. This was more like 2021 levels of content.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Wow, ending it on a no gameplay and no details cinematic teaser for a game.

From the store listing:
Who they gonna call? You! Strap on your proton pack and Meta Quest 2 and step into the world of Ghostbusters in immersive virtual reality. Run your Ghostbusters HQ in a new city, San Francisco, and solve a deep mystery across a new chapter in the Ghostbusters universe. Track, blast, and trap ghosts in gripping encounters by wielding iconic equipment. Go it alone, or as a team with up to three friends in co-op, in an extensive and engrossing campaign. Continue the Ghostbusters’ legacy, protect the city from fiendish ghosts, and experience all the humor and frights from the beloved franchise.

So a 4 player co-op Ghostbusters VR game, that's actually something I've been wanting! So I hope it's good, impossible to say from that loving trailer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No GTA appearing is a bit disappointing but not a surprise, not AC/Splinter Cell at this point is somewhat concerning.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TIP posted:

So a 4 player co-op Ghostbusters VR game, that's actually something I've been wanting! So I hope it's good, impossible to say from that loving trailer.

If they manage to pull it off this would be absolutely amazing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Disappointing. I thought this year they would have more games. This was more like 2021 levels of content.

Nobody has any new ideas for how to make fun VR games

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lemming posted:

Nobody has any new ideas for how to make fun VR games

Honestly I don't think even necessarily need "new" ideas for games for the market to expand. There is plenty of space to grow within the current sets of game ideas if the developers were to sand down more of the jank involved with VR gaming. Even your most bog standard military shooter could use a lot more polish in terms of ease of use and movement detection. And where is my Hunt: Showdown style western monster shooter, developers?

It's just that "smoother detection and aiming" doesn't sell well on marketing copy so you get stupid poo poo like Medal Of Honor VR The Documentary that has all these gimmicks slapped on that don't add anything.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TIP posted:

Mercenaries mode is out now on Resident Evil 4 VR :toot:

Pretty expected, but nice to finally get it
gently caress yes, game plays great but felt a tiny bit bare-bones without some of the poo poo that's been in the other dozen editions of RE4. Was it known that was coming?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, they said it was coming in a later update back around its launch.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/TripwireInt/status/1516829958353600512?s=20&t=obex8071lQ6e_cJMo3LfIw
This was the tripwire (published) thing, btw. Looks kinda neat I guess but meh..

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nothing on GTA:SA is loving wack, what a waste of time

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
the football thing seemed fine

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ4M6CukGM8

e: Oh I didn't realize this was just in a showcase, just saw it on my Youtube homepage and got hyped lol

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 20, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

it's amazing how bad these gaming showcases have been

only one a year and they barely manage to scrape together 10 minutes of trailers for games we mostly already knew about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Update to the lobby in Walkabout Mini Golf

https://twitter.com/WalkaboutMG/status/1516839117828493315?s=20&t=BpHxaba1_5HWATF5gcoAlQ