Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I just want it to be good enough to use as a monitor replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

New VR bundle https://www.indiegala.com/bundle/vr-zen-bundle

I bought Crazy Kung Fu and it's pretty good. You, Calligrapher seems like the only other one that's worthwhile, but $4.49 is a good price for only those two.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is there a goon-recommended, plain and reliable clamp-based mount for an Index Lighthouse?

Bonus points if it's not from an Amazon knockoff store reselling Alibaba poo poo with canned brand names like SMEGMA, but I understand if that's the only thing that's survived this globalization hellworld. :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Went back in to Cooking Simulator.

I'm a pretty good cook so I've tried making the dishes without any instruction and it's going pretty well.
It feels sluggish because I can dance around my kitchen but in VR it's much more constrained.

Still a lot of fun.
Kinda reminds me of cooking discovery in Guild Wars 2 but in reverse.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jan posted:

Is there a goon-recommended, plain and reliable clamp-based mount for an Index Lighthouse?

Bonus points if it's not from an Amazon knockoff store reselling Alibaba poo poo with canned brand names like SMEGMA, but I understand if that's the only thing that's survived this globalization hellworld. :negative:

Any contractors pole that will fit in the space. That + any camera mount that bolts to it works.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jan posted:

I use my cock as this and also as a swizzle stick. Mammal sauce!!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've had my quest 2 for a bit over a month and my fear of it collecting dust after a little while is definitely not coming true, I'm having a great time.

Currently I've been playing around with blade and sorcery and Pavlov for reliving my sword and gun fighting dreams of childhood, hacked beatsaber which both me and my wife are enjoying, got flight Simulator optimized enough for some great visuals, and have a couple hours in both fallout 4 and Subnautica each.

Especially the latter one is incredible in VR, Subnautica is a whole nother level and just the right amount of scary. I'm coming out of this extremely impressed with VR and i do believe it has a bright future ahead of it, it's the biggest step in gaming in years that i can remember.

The only game I've been dissapointed in is bone works, for the price I'm not really enjoying my time in it that much, the weapons seem kind of weak and the humor just reminds me of a less funny portal. Just makes me wish portal was on VR.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Subnautica is so good. I'm still mad that they scrapped VR support for Below Zero. And the 3rd party mods that add it in are unfortunately not the best (at least, last time I tried playing it) because the same keybind is used for both "swim up, while underwater" and "look up, while on the surface" :barf:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Son of Rodney posted:

The only game I've been dissapointed in is bone works, for the price I'm not really enjoying my time in it that much, the weapons seem kind of weak and the humor just reminds me of a less funny portal. Just makes me wish portal was on VR.

Boneworks as a game is over rated and boring.

Boneworks as a thing you mess with later, its pretty cool.

Its really not worth full price as a game. Its a tech demo for nerds tbh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vox Machinae is out of early access now. Did anyone else pick it up? I impulse bought it the moment I noticed its out. Will try to find time to play it this weekend. Excited to have a mech sim with VR support, and its gotta be better than Mechwarrior 5 (which also does not have VR support) overall because that is a really low bar to clear.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's cool, but unfortunately made me pretty nauseous. Not sure why.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

I said come in! posted:

Vox Machinae is out of early access now. Did anyone else pick it up? I impulse bought it the moment I noticed its out. Will try to find time to play it this weekend. Excited to have a mech sim with VR support, and its gotta be better than Mechwarrior 5 (which also does not have VR support) overall because that is a really low bar to clear.

Don't have VR here but watched a stream of it for a while and it seems really good. It'd be great not to give PGI money or engagement while still getting to play stompy robots.

edit- here's the random stream I watched for a bit:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1482412040?t=857s

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I said come in! posted:

I played it a while back in early access. It felt fantastic. Grabbing the radio and bringing it to your mouth to transmit, and reaching up to pull the cord to make your mech go *honk* were really nice touches.

Nobody else was playing it, though, so I didn't stick with it for very long. I think they added a singleplayer campaign since then, but I haven't tried again

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

Mechwarrior 5 (which also does not have VR support)

There is a mod!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

explosivo posted:

There is a mod!

It's pretty good too and the guy that made it KITT is active on Flatscreen to VR Mod discord too (I don't have invite permissions or I would link it)

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Speaking of mods, how is PLANCK for Skyrim VR?

Is it easy to install? Can I finally have fun playing it with melee characters?

Was able to finish Skyrim VR as an archer/conjurer but melee absolutely sucked. The videos I’ve seen looked really drat good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mang Tomas posted:

Was able to finish Skyrim

I'm sorry what?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Demeos is rough. I was able to complete one level using four characters, everyone died except the guardian because I didn't realize that enemies don't stop spawning and I split the party to pick up gold and chests.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Got another 30% off oculus thing. Have there been any big, transformative VR experiences released in the last year or it is still a bunch of fitness and arcadey shooter poo poo?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Got another 30% off oculus thing. Have there been any big, transformative VR experiences released in the last year or it is still a bunch of fitness and arcadey shooter poo poo?

https://i.imgur.com/kAE5myq.mp4

buy my gorilla tag guitar, you can play hot cross buns on it

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Soonmot posted:

Demeos is rough. I was able to complete one level using four characters, everyone died except the guardian because I didn't realize that enemies don't stop spawning and I split the party to pick up gold and chests.

got to the second level and realized the whole dungeon knows where you are at all times

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's weird that Cambria is supposed to be all professional focused or whatever, but the teasers are people turning their rooms into cartoon forests and playing with cute animals and stuff.

I'm kind of getting mixed messages.

Yeah that video was all 'multiple monitors and full colour passthrough!' and I don't care about any of that poo poo, I want to stomp around in a mech and shoot things with foveated rendering and focusing

Alctel fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 17, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Also it's another one of these

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-BoCEecQAvD_BwE

This one however has integrated haptics, lower body tracking and a seat - so you can go from walking around in no man's sky and then sit down when you get in your spaceship.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 17, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

STOP MAKING VR TREADMILLS

THEY WILL NEVER BE A THING

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I dunno I think a VR treadmill could be worth it if it perfectly simulated real walking and running, which nothing on the market even approaches

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's a nice sounding idea -- walk all you like in any direction -- but I'm pretty sure that for the majority of people, all a slippery bowl and waist strap can simulate is the feeling of walking on a slippery bowl while leashed at the waist.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I dunno I think a VR treadmill could be worth it if it perfectly simulated real walking and running, which nothing on the market even approaches

I think you're right that we can imagine the controller is a gun or flashlight, but the only thing that feels like walking is gonna be walking for a while yet.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 17, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Isn't there a real VR treadmill that the army uses that takes up like four hundred square feet? I can't find a video but I remember seeing it a few years ago

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Even if such thing existed, and were cheaply available, I would never get it. Because I prefer to sit when I play VR games, I'm lazy. The only game I played standing was Pistol Whip, and that was mainly due to the quality of the game.

boloney
May 29, 2021

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's wrong with them?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

boloney posted:

What's wrong with them?

Much like VR, the tech is cool, it just isn't quite there yet though.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Inexplicably, they feel like flailing your legs on a slightly slippery lovely plastic disk while pulling against a creaky, shaky harness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I've made a new comfort hack to my now very frankensteined Vive Pro headset. Never really liked how hard the upper strap can press down on my head with the way it sits, so I've sheathed it in a couple of wrist sweatbands. The long kind, if anyone else wants to try it themselves.

boloney
May 29, 2021

Breakfast All Day posted:

Inexplicably, they feel like flailing your legs on a slightly slippery lovely plastic disk while pulling against a creaky, shaky harness.

drat. I guess I presumed better build quality given that they're like $2000

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Has anyone tried the natural locomotion software on steam? That with a couple of Vive leg pucks or something like it seems like it would be better than most VR treadmills, as walking in place would be less awkward than… bowl sliding.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I honestly swing my arms a little and shift my weight back and forth between feet when using regular analog locomotion in games

It feels more realistic than every single purpose-built solution

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Butt Discussin posted:

Has anyone tried the natural locomotion software on steam? That with a couple of Vive leg pucks or something like it seems like it would be better than most VR treadmills, as walking in place would be less awkward than… bowl sliding.

i really *really* like it when it works, when i got my index knuckles i flashed my vive wands into pucks and used it with those and it was goddamn amazing, when it worked. it can be somewhat janky at times, though for a 1 man project it's still insanely good, IMO

ideally gaben should just hire the guy and put that poo poo into steamvr proper and give it a dozen devs for a year to file off the edges, it just transforms into stick movement anyway so it's not like supporting it in games is an effort

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

boloney posted:

drat. I guess I presumed better build quality given that they're like $2000

The newer ones are better but they still only really work if content is built for it and or theres zero crouching/prone needed in gameplay. Be it picking up items, or like, just ducking behind walls.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The treadmills were a somewhat neat novelty for a few experiences when consumer VR was limited to seated and standing. Since roomscale became a thing, they're strictly worse. Even roomscale with teleport is much better, as you still have free movement to lean, duck, dodge, twist, and such without having to translate that into being taped to what's basically just a big joystick while awkwardly miming rollerblading.

Actual omnidirectional treadmills are another story, but have their own limitations and will never be consumer devices. If you ever get the chance to try one, take it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It will release on June 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVjNLc_X2M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

First VR to give me motion sickness/nausea, game controls annoyingly slow unless you use their jump jets which I did not care for and the story npc's were like terrifying. the sickness was so bad I didn't VR again for like a month.